View Full Version : Congrats, Eddie Sutton..768 wins

Keith
01-16-2005, 06:26 AM
By Mike Baldwin
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER - On a day Eddie Suttons' legacy was cemented for generations to come, he reminded everyone why he's won 768 games during a 35-year career.

Always looking ahead and always trying to get the most out of his players, Sutton lectured his team after a historic 83-73 win over Iowa State on Saturday afternoon at Gallagher-Iba Arena. The win moved Sutton past Henry Iba, his mentor, for seventh most Division I wins, exactly 12 years after Iba died.

And, while Sutton was touched that OSU named the hardwood floor at the arena Eddie Sutton Court, he wasnt celebrating in the locker room after the game. Sutton was upset a 19-point, second-half lead was trimmed to five.

I don't think last years team would ever let anything happen like what happened in the second half, Sutton said. Some of our guys have to get more mature in my opinion.

No. 6-ranked OSU (13-1) improved to 3-0 in Big 12 Conference play. All 13 wins have been by double digits.

Iowa State (8-6, 0-3) owned a lead much of the first half and was hanging close until OSU used a 10-0 run to go up 61-42. The final five points in the run were free throws, complements of ISU coach Wayne Morgan who was ejected following back-to-back technicals with 11:59 to play.

What upset Sutton was the Cyclones closed to within 75-70 with 2:16 to play.

“That’s a game you ought to win going away by 25 or 30 points,” Sutton said. “We just quit playing. The defense was nonexist ent. We couldn’t contain dribble penetration. We got real conservative on the offensive end. Hopefully we can learn something from this game.”

The Cowboys returned four starters from last season’s Final Four team, but Sutton is still concerened that his squad has been un able to replace Tony Allen’s grit.

“Tony was really important,” Sutton said. “We miss Tony. He gave us toughness. This team is not as tough right now as it was a year ago. He made big plays but he also was a tough hombre. We’ve got to get some of our guys to elevate their game and get that way.”

But even though Saturday’s win wasn’t a masterpiece, it was Sutton’s 768th. During a postgame ceremony, Sutton was presented with a commemorative glass trophy that featured him and Iba. Players wore T-shirts with Sutton’s picture and the number 768 and a section of the floor near midcourt was unveiled, showcasing Sutton’s signature.

“It meant a lot that night he won No. 700 in Texas,” McFarlin said. “But this moment, right now, probably ranks at the top for me because he’s passed a legend, his coach, some one he looked up to. Now it’s time for him to go up the ladder. Next year he’ll get 800.”

OSU officials kept the naming of the court a secret even though OSU’s board of regents approved the gesture at their December meeting.

“It means a great deal (to me),” Sutton said. “It’s quite an honor... It’s something I didn’t know was coming.”

Sutton played at OSU in the mid 1950’s and returned in 1990 to coach his alma mater.

“For an institution to have two 750 win coaches is pretty remarkable,” said athletic director Harry Birdwell. “This was a special day for Eddie. All of us who know him, he’s meant so much to this athletic department. When he came back here our athletic department was on hard times.”

Fifteen years later, Sutton has taken OSU to two Final Fours. The football program has made three consecutive bowl trips and soon will play in a remodeled $100 million stadium.

“If he had not come back to lift the whole athletic department who knows whether we would have ever built the improvements to Gallagher-Iba or Boone Pickens Stadium,” Bird well said. “The OSU family owes him a great deal of gratitude. Beyond all that, this was a great per sonal achievement considering how much Mr. Iba meant to him.”

It also meant a lot for Sutton to accomplish the feat in the arena named after Iba. “When this day came along I was hoping we would do it here,” Sutton said. “There are so many pleasant memories as a player and a coach... To have it happen in front of our fans was special.

Coach Sutton is an excellent coach. OSU is fortunate to have him.

mranderson
01-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Yes. I agree.

Now. Instead of naming a basketball court after the guy, I think they should change the name of the arena to Sutton-Iba Arena.

Midtowner
01-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Yes. I agree.

Now. Instead of naming a basketball court after the guy, I think they should change the name of the arena to Sutton-Iba Arena.

Better yet, change Oklahoma State University to Oklahoma-Sutton University. That'd be about right :D

SoundMind
01-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Lots of wins but still no championship game.

Patrick
01-17-2005, 01:56 PM
His all time record isn't bad though.