View Full Version : Former Lucent Plant put on the market

Patrick
01-15-2005, 12:19 AM
What a challenge...leasing this baby out. Looks like a tough chore over the next few years! Too bad Lucent couldn't keep it! I doubt it will become a single plant again, but there's always a possiblity.

What do you guys think....should they look for one company to lease it or should they subdivide it? Personally, I think space of this magnitude needs to be sold, not leased. But, it would sure be a boost to our local economy if we could find a major corporation to lease the space. I'm glad that Dell chose to locate on the Oklahoma River, but we need a company like Dell to fill this vacant space.

I'm just sad that manufacturing plants are becoming a thing of the past in the United States.

--------------
"Sizable challenge: CB Richard Ellis takes on the challenge of leasing out the mammoth former Lucent Technologies campus

By Mallery Nagle

writers@okcbusiness.com

A few years ago, Lucent Technologies employed 10,000 people in its nearly 2 million-square-foot manufacturing and distribution facility which sits on a 193-acre campus at 7725 W. Reno.

Today the buildings remain, but the employees are gone and the doors are closed, the result of a 2001 deal with Celestica, a Toronto-based electronics manufacturer, which shut down operations at the plant.

Local developers Terryl Zerby and Ron Ward purchased the property in July and are working with a team from CB Richard Ellis in search of a renter.
And although the search for the right occupant has gone international, the universe of potential clients is limited, given the size of the property.

“The largest industrial contract ever signed in the United States was less than 1 million square feet,” said Tom Lange, a broker/associate with CB Richard Ellis, who is on the team handling the property. “The size is extremely large and there are not a lot of companies that need that much space.”

Zerby, however, is optimistic.

“We acquired the property as a real estate investment. We think it has immense potential,” he said. “The building is of exceptional quality. There is nothing similar in the four or five state region, and there is nothing like it in Oklahoma.”
He said he suspects that the space will eventually be subdivided among several tenants.

The manufacturing facility, built in 1960, is more than 1,190,000 square feet. It includes about 230,000 square feet of office space, a dining facility, an auditorium and a data center. There is about 140,000 square feet of warehouse space, featuring nine dock high doors with levelers and an automatic storage and retrieval system. The office space has fiber and network capabilities and is “plug and play” ready, according to CB Richard Ellis.

The warehouse, built in 1996, consists of 323,940 square feet with 30 feet of clear height, 35 dock high doors and a drive-in door with a crane. The grand total of space at the facility is about 1.8 million square feet.

Other amenities include a 100 percent climate controlled environment, an extensive materials handling system, proximity to I-40 and access to the Union Pacific Railroad, an immaculate laboratory manufacturing area, a state-of-the art fire alarm and voice evacuation system, manual pull stations for HAZMAT and medical emergencies and a safety network complete with audio/visual signal service, heat detectors, smoke detectors and sprinkler riser flow switches.

“There is nothing wrong with the building,” said Jim Austin, also of CB Richard Ellis. “It is not functionally obsolete. Lucent closed because of competition. This was their flagship facility and they kept it modern,” he said.

Austin said two or three companies have already been “serious” and have gotten to the negotiation phase, but chose other alternatives. He said Dell Computers even considered the space, but decided to build its own facility. Other companies have opted not to locate in Oklahoma City at all.

“The activity has exceeded my expectations,” Zerby said. “I’m very pleased with the activity.”
CB Richard Ellis has been using its international contacts and the team of brokers has tapped into its network of professional alliances.
About 50 direct mail pieces are sent each week to keep the property in the forefront of people’s minds.

The real estate professionals have produced a four-minute video, and teams from the Oklahoma Department of Commerce, ONG, OG&E and the City of Oklahoma City use the video on industrial recruitment trips.

The building is a stop on area familiarization tours for industrial site selectors.
“It (having the building occupied) would really be beneficial to the community,” Austin said.

Larry Stanphill, another member of the CB Richard Ellis team, acknowledged that an economy moving away from a manufacturing base to a service-oriented environment did not make for a “favorable market” for the property, but the brokers remain optimistic, as well.

“It’s a large chunk of space,” Austin said. “But it’s the finest building of its type available.”
“We will lease the facility,” Zerby said. “It’s just a matter of when and to whom.”

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-15-2005, 12:34 AM
This is why we need to lower our cost of living. Cost of living is the KEY to success here in this town, and we can keep businesses from leaving America if our cost of living atleast compares to China. Of coarse, you won't get away with paying an Oklahoman $2 a week, but people like me have a tendency to purchase things (when confronted with a dilemna) based on where they were made.

BricktownGuy
01-17-2005, 08:56 AM
I think that IF CB Richard Ellis take the proper marketing techniques, it may be possible to have one company to lease it. I am sure CB Richard Ellis will make some major $$ from this deal, even though it will be a major task.

Quote from SRG:

"Cost of living is the KEY to success here in this town"

There have been published reports (I do not know exactly where on the web) but I have read articles that have had major VIPs in some organizations, saying they moved their operation to Oklahoma or Oklahoma City, due to the cost of living here. Cost of living is fairly decent in this area of the country, but the wages that workers earn in this area are not what others parts of the country pay. Lets just look at the number of centers we have here in Oklahoma and lets face it... call centers do not pay enough.

BricktownGuy
01-22-2005, 02:53 PM
By Mallery Nagle:

"Jim Austin of CB Richard Ellis has said two or three companies have already been "serious" and have gotten to the negotiation phrase, but chose other alternatives. He said even Dell Computers even considered the space, but decided to build its own facility."

metro
01-22-2005, 05:38 PM
its a manufacturing facility, it wouldnt make since for dell or fit dell's image, alot of remodeling would have to be integrated to make it office space.

BricktownGuy
01-22-2005, 06:06 PM
oops.. I repost something that had already been posted before.. sorry

Patrick
01-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Unfortunately, manufacturing plants aren't growing in the United States.....in fact they're leaving....it's gonig to be a tough sale.