View Full Version : Urban Housing Thread

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Lets list all of the major housing projects that are existing and under construction in the Downtown/ Arts District/ Bricktown/ Deep Deuce/ Automobile Alley area.

I have:

Legacy @ Arts Central
The Factory
The Montgomery

That's all I specifically know about. I know that there are others, and Patrick just said that we might get a ten story off of Reno, by the Bricktown entrance (in front of Harkins).

Nick.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 05:33 PM
I did some research, and here is my new list:

Fifth Avenue Lofts
Garage Lofts
Sycamore Square
Deep deuce at Bricktown
The Factory (high rise)
Legacy Summit At Arts Central
The Montgomery

Regency Tower (existing high rise)

BG918
01-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Can you give details about the Fifth Avenue and Garage lofts? The Factory is currently on hold according to the developers. Maybe in the next few years they will be ready to finance such a big project, Bricktown could really use a 12 story residential tower...

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Can you give details about the Fifth Avenue and Garage lofts?

I ran a search on bricktownokc's webpage, and I read a number of stories with minor referances to these. I ran a google search just now. I can tel you that these 2 were among the first three complexes to belong to the Downtown Resident's Association and that they are both in Automobile Alley, it is obvious where Fifth Avenue Lofts is, but The Garage is at N.W. 13th Street. That's midtown by some's standards, but downtownokc's website has them down as Auto Alley.

The Factory is currently on hold according to the developers."

All I know about the Factory is that it will be a yellow and red sort of stucco building. Doesn't sound like Bricktown at all, but the renderings show it blends perfectly, and looks swell. One of the reasons I created this poll was so anybody that new anything about it or could post what they new, with links and pics of the renderings.

Maybe in the next few years they will be ready to finance such a big project, Bricktown could really use a 12 story residential tower...

Again, I don't know what you are talking about. Please tell. Is this what Patrick was mentioning? I'm clueless.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 09:40 PM
http://www.boyington.com/5th_avenue_lofts.htm
Fifth Avenue Lofts' webpage.

Garage Lofts doesn't have a webpage.

Patrick
01-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Funding fell apart on the Factory Development. Actually, I really don't think funding ever existed. Unfortunately in this world, people come up wih a lot of ambitious ideas, but only a select few are actually able to make due on their promises.

The Factory development may still occur, but it will be on a much smaller scale without the residential tower shown in some of the sketches.

Patrick
01-14-2005, 11:02 PM
By the way...add The Hill to your list. Urban Renewal recently put out requests for proposals to develop the Hill just to the east of Deep Deuce (between Deep Deuce and I-235). 3 proposals were made by various developers. Urban Renewal should be making a decision soon.

I'll enclose the article that appeared in the Oklahoman several months ago:
---------------
"Three groups pitch housing for coveted downtown area
By Steve Lackmeyer
Staff Writer

Three development groups are pitching residential projects valued between $22.1 million and $36.7 million for one of Oklahoma City's most coveted downtown properties. The 12.6 acres, on what is known as the "hill" at NE 1 and Stiles, overlooks Deep Deuce, Bricktown and the health-sciences district with a view of the downtown skyline.

Two of the proposals delivered Wednesday to the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority are linked to other nearby developments.
------------
(1) Atlanta-based Wood Partners, listed No. 6 among the country's top 50 apartment complex builders by Builder Magazine, proposes building 300 lofts in a series of three- story buildings.

The project would be designed by Architectural Design Group and would be planned to connect with a $12 million residential, retail and office development by Robert Meinders on Sheridan Avenue dubbed "the Steel Yard."

Project architect Scott Dedmon said the two projects would be owned by different developers, but would be designed as part of one master plan.

The apartments would be lofts, he said, featuring stained floors, exposed duct work and 10-foot-high ceilings.

Dedmon called the hill one of downtown's most valuable sites for new housing.

"It's in the core of everything right now with everything going on in Bricktown, downtown and the health sciences center," Dedmon said.
-----------
(2)Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners, meanwhile, would build 84 lofts and 134 brownstone residences in conjunction with a development just north of the property dubbed "Oklahoma City Town Center."

The team includes Town Center developers Pat Garrett, Bert Belanger and Anthony McDermid, and Somerset Partners, which bought the existing 294-unit Deep Deuce Apartments last year.

As part of the proposal, Somerset promises to build new for-sale brownstones on several Deep Deuce properties the company owns but has not been developed.

Project architect Hans Butzer said the proposal also suggests the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority consider buying adjacent land owned by the Oklahoma Transportation Department to allow for possible development of an $11 million residential high-rise.

"It's a high profile site, immediately adjacent to the highway, and while it's not a part of this property, it really would make a great location for a high rise," Butzer said.

The proposal by Butzer's team calls for a mix of rental lofts, live/work spaces along Stiles Avenue, townhomes for sale.

"This project needs to re-establish our standard for downtown housing," Butzer said. "While Deep Deuce was good, it's not at a quality we're all looking for."
-------------
(3)The third proposal by The Hill at Bricktown LLC. suggests building 141 upscale homes in a development that would make a strong connection to Deep Deuce's history as a former black business and entertainment district.

Homes and streets would be named after historic figures and places, while all three developments propose memorials to Deep Deuce literary legend Ralph Ellison.

Those involved with Hill at Bricktown LLC include Oklahoma City historic preservationist Marva Ellard; William Canfield, founder of Novazyme Pharmaceuticals, and oilman and contractor Steve Clark.

Ellard said Canfield became interested in the development after trying to recruit scientists to work in the nearby health research park.

"The lack of downtown housing for sale became a drawback in getting people to move here," Ellard said. "A lot of professionals were accustomed to living in an urban environment."

Ellard said homes would sell between $175,000 and $340,000.

JoeVan Bullard, urban renewal director, said representatives from surrounding areas will be asked to review the proposals, with presentations to be made to the agency's commissioners in January.

"With the proposals that came in, I think we definitely do have a market for homes for sale," he said.

Bullard said commissioners want to see construction started by late 2005.

"One of the discussion points with the commissioners as they visit with the three teams will be, 'Are you ready to go?'" Bullard said. "We believe the market is there, and the sooner we can hit that, the better."
----------
The proposals

(1) Alta Bricktown
Developer: Wood Partners.
Designer: Architectural Design Group.
Cost: $22.1 million.
Proposal: 300 loft apartments leasing between $735 and $1,035 a month.

(2)The Hill
Developer: Walnut Hill Redevelopment Partners.
Designer: TAParchitecture.
Cost: $36.7 million.
Proposal: 84 loft rental apartments, 134 Brownstone residences for sale.

(3)The Hill at Bricktown
Developers: The Hill at Bricktown LLC.
Designer: Humphreys & Partners Architects.
Cost: $34.4 million.
Proposal: 141 upscale homes for sale. "

Patrick
01-14-2005, 11:05 PM
By the way, if you want to go back and look at the old thread, here's the link: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=993

Most of us favored the 2nd proposal because it included a mix of lofts and "for purchase" brownstone residences....definitely a unique combination in downtown. Also it complemented the Town Center concept nicely. The possiblity of a residential tower near the highway also impressed us. And one of the partners already owns Deep Deuce, and the rest are involved with the Town Center concept. Second, we voted for the proposal from Woodpartners for 300+ apartments. We can always use more urban style apartments downtown. Also, it tied in nicely with the Steel Yard development. Lastly, we voted for The Hill at Bricktown, 141 upscale homes.....this just reminded us too much of a surburban style residential development.

Patrick
01-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey Nick....you can add one other downtown residential project to your list: The Steel Yard.

The old WH Steel Company in east Bricktown was recently purchased and new owners would like to covert this to residential use, in a development dubbed "The Steelyard". This would be a mixed use development consisting of loft apartments, retail, and office use.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Alta Bricktown has more substance. I don't know which is better, lofts or Brownstones, but I am impressed with the possibility of a tower. I hope they aren't "throwing in a blender" though.

From what I have seen, The Factory may have some money, and they actually still think the high rise tower may still be on. I hope.

Patrick
01-15-2005, 12:04 AM
I think all of us hope The Factory eventually is completed as originally planned, but right now it isn't looking too promising.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-15-2005, 12:16 AM
How many people should be living downtown? We have around 1.2 million people in this town. Wouldn't atleast 5% sound right?

Luke
01-15-2005, 02:40 AM
On the west side of downtown on Walker, Tanenbaum (I believe) was planning a high rise after legacy summit was built.

Patrick
01-15-2005, 02:41 AM
On the west side of downtown on Walker, Tanenbaum (I believe) was planning a high rise after legacy summit was built.

Yup, that's the man! He recently erected the Midtown centennial clock directly across from his property.

metro
01-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Patrick, can you shed more light on Tanenbaums highrise proposal? As far as the Factory goes that probably wont happen. The Hill is 2-3 years out and probably the Steel Yard as well. I'm curious if they will build that tower next to Harkins, that would be nice!

Luke
01-15-2005, 10:35 AM
I think the tower next to the theater is the one that downtownguy and Dave Lopez were referring to when they said a few floors of retail, a few floors of hotel and a few floors of condos.

Also, aren't the Redhawks owners considering an option like that for a tower that overlooks the ballpark?

metro
01-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Yes Luke you are right that is what Dave Lopez was referring to but not what I was referring to. I dont believe that project is going to be Dick Tanenbaum's. Yes the Bricktown owners are considering it in the VIP and the season ticket holders parking lots just east of the ball park, northwest of Bass Pro.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-15-2005, 10:56 AM
New List:

Fifth Avenue Lofts
Garage Lofts
Sycamore Square
Deep deuce at Bricktown
The Factory (high rise)
The Montgomery
The Hill

The Something on West Side (high rise)
The Something in front of Harkins (high rise)

Patrick
01-15-2005, 11:39 PM
I think the tower next to the theater is the one that downtownguy and Dave Lopez were referring to when they said a few floors of retail, a few floors of hotel and a few floors of condos.

Also, aren't the Redhawks owners considering an option like that for a tower that overlooks the ballpark?

The Redhawks aren't really looking at a tower, nbut more just a mixed use development, with some lofts (maybe 3 or 4 story) intermixed with retail and offices. Nothing high rise though. Also, Hammons might still build a parking garage on the property.

Patrick
01-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Patrick, can you shed more light on Tanenbaums highrise proposal? As far as the Factory goes that probably wont happen. The Hill is 2-3 years out and probably the Steel Yard as well. I'm curious if they will build that tower next to Harkins, that would be nice!

Tanenbaum owns the property just east of Sycamore Square. He recently built the building on the NE corner and the clock tower on the same corner. He owns much of that corner.

Tanenbaum hasn't been specific or shown any drawings, but he's suggested eventually bulding a residential/apartment complex, possibly a highrise tower. He hasn't really gone into anymore details though. Anyway,s his development would be called the Midtown (or something like that- hmmm, sounds king of like Midtowner! lol!), thus the name on his clock tower.

Patrick
01-15-2005, 11:43 PM
By the way, nick your list is making downtown look impressive.

By the way, don't forget The Steelyard on the east side of Bricktown.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-16-2005, 01:09 AM
New List:

Fifth Avenue Lofts
Garage Lofts
Sycamore Square
Deep deuce at Bricktown
The Factory (high rise)
The Steelyard
The Montgomery
The Hill

The Something on West Side (high rise)
The Something in front of Harkins (high rise)

"By the way, nick your list is making downtown look impressive."

It's that pent up energy from being idle for so many years. One of the South's best downtown according to Southern Living itself.