View Full Version : Home Depot (Memorial) update

Patrick
01-14-2005, 02:10 PM
My second trip on my outing today was to the construction site behind Shell, across from Super Target on N. Penn. There is indeed 1 large slab on the west side of the property. Actually the slab hasn't been poured yet.....but the gravel has been spread over the area where the slab will be poured.
All of the construction workers were busy so I couldn't ask anyone on the site what was being built there. But, based on observations at the site, and converstations with the attendant at the Shell station a few days ago, I'm going to go ahead and call this one....this is gonig to be Home Depot!

Someone (I believe it was metro) observed a road leading from the Home Depot site around the north side of the mall. This is a temporary dirt road that dump trucks are using to enter and exit the development site. Also, the owner of the field north of the mall is allowing developers to dump excess dirt on lower elevations in his field. So, basically the dirt road is providing a transportation route from the development site to the dumping grounds. From what I was told, no permanent road will be built.

There is also plenty of extra land to the east of the Home Depot site, between Home Depot and Penn Ave., north of the Shell station. No slabs have been poured there yet. Site preparation hasn't been completed there either. The Home Depot is being built close to the road (similar to the one on Broadway in Edmond), so don't be surprised if the east side of the property remains parking.
You never know though...they could squeeze a small strip center in that space. We'll just have to see how the site progresses.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 02:14 PM
SO when does Lowes move in? Isn't there already one? Is there atleast a creek between them?

Patrick
01-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Lowes is on the other side of Memorial (south side).

mranderson
01-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Lowes is on the other side of Memorial (south side).Yes. It is at the intersection of Memorial and Highland Park. That Lowe's was the third metro location out of nine or ten planned for the area.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 06:02 PM
We don't have 9 or 10... where are the ones under construction?

mranderson
01-14-2005, 06:15 PM
I said PLANNED for the area.

So far, there is (in order or age) Shawnee, South Oklahoma City, North Oklahoma City, Norman, Yukon, (soon to be under construction) NW 39 and May, Midwest City. The others have not been decided yet.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 06:22 PM
South?

Aren't they going to begin building many buildings up on May and I 44? Like a new David Stanley Ford, or somethingorother.

windowphobe
01-14-2005, 08:13 PM
David Stanley is moving across the street; Lowe's will take over their old location (and will close Brookline Avenue between 38th and 39th).

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 08:27 PM
That's good, because both of those sites, the car dealor, and whatever was across the street, were in need of demoltion.

Patrick
01-14-2005, 10:54 PM
The 39th and N. May location was extremely controversial, because another big box sits empty at NW 36th and May where Builder's Square and a K-Mart used to be. But, the city decided to approve the permit for Lowes.

Actually, the old David Stanley building (originally Dub Richardson Ford/Isuzu) was in pretty good shape considering its age. That wasn't really a factor David Stanley used in selling the property. Simply, offered the right price. This actually fills a void in that area that was left after Builder's Square closed. The closest home improvement store to that area is the Home Depot in the Centennial Plaza at NW 59th and May.

mranderson
01-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Lowe's builds stores between 130,000 and 150,000 square feet and can not use less space. Had the city council said no, insisting they take the old Builders Square location, Lowe's would have said no outright. The new store will be about the size of the ones on 240 and memorial.

Patrick
01-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I think the Builder's Square store was only about 85,000 square feet. Anyways, thanks for bringing this up mranderson. Maybe a decent neighborhood grocery store can move into the old Builder's Square/K-Mart location. A Crest would be nice!

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Knowing what I just learned, I would tear it down.

mranderson
01-15-2005, 08:05 AM
The Oklahoman's real estate section has the building permit list published every saturday.

Today the second listing is Home Depot, 14200 block N Pennsylvania. So, yes. It IS a Home Depot.

windowphobe
01-15-2005, 06:35 PM
And anyway, Crest just opened a store at 23rd and Meridian (Windsor Hills) about a month ago.

Patrick
01-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I forgot about the new Crest store...where Snyders used to be.

Anyways, I guess Home Depot will take up that entire space since they were given a Penn address. If I were O'Connors, I think I'd sell now while they can still get out!