View Full Version : new UCO housing

metro
01-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Former hotel to provide housing for UCO students

By Beth Gollob
The Oklahoman

EDMOND - A group of local businessmen finalized their purchase of the former Ramada Plaza Hotel and leased it to the University of Central Oklahoma on Thursday, allowing the university to provide nearly 300 additional student housing slots for next fall, officials said.
UCO will pay about $350,000 a year to lease the 148-room hotel at 930 E Second.

UCO officials had worked for several years to acquire the property, but were unable to move as quickly as local businessmen could, said Steve Hurst, owner of Edmond-based Hurst Holdings, Inc.

Hurst, joined by Turner & Co. president Derek Turner and several anonymous partners, closed on the property about 1 p.m. Thursday. Hurst declined to reveal the purchase price for the property.

The partnership, SP Realty Advisers, LLC and SP Broncho Plaza, agreed to lease the property to UCO, Hurst said.

UCO Vice President of Administration Steve Kreidler said the annual lease price will cover renovation costs at the hotel.

Renovation plans include rewiring the building for Internet and lighting, elevator upgrades, redecorating and ensuring building and fire codes are met, officials said.

Kathryn Gage, UCO vice president for student services, said housing has been at a premium in recent years. Enrollment surges, combined with UCO President Roger Webb's push for higher student residency, have left student housing bulging at the seams.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Doesn't that part od Edmond have some really run down houses? The only part of Edmond like that...

metro
01-14-2005, 01:08 PM
no, its right across the street from UCO, its a nice business park, the old part of Edmond is to the west and east but I wouldnt say "run down"

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 01:10 PM
What are the average property values?

Midtowner
01-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Actually, that entire area is fairly rough. There are a LOT of rent houses occupied by students. Not many nice properties. There's a trailer park back there somewhere as well I think. Our fraternity house is in one of those neighborhoods adjacent to the campus. When we first moved there, we had numerous problems with people breaking into cars, etc. That's slowed down since we installed outdoor lights.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Edmond is actually America's nicest suburb (Universal Publications) but it sure doesn't sound like it, he-he.

Patrick
01-14-2005, 03:52 PM
This is agreat news for UCO. Since East Hall was condemned a few years ago, and torn down recently, there has been a need for more housing at UCO. The only dorm buildings currently available for occupancy are Murdaugh Hall (guys) and West Hall (girls). Fortunately, the University Commons and University Suites were built over the past few years to fill part of the void. My fiancee lived in one of the first Commons apartments, and they're a great addition to the campus. Anyways, I'm sure this will fill some of the loss experienced when East Hall was demolished!

Another plus is it expands the campus south. I just tend to wonder what pedestrian traffic will be like across 2nd Street. UCO should build a pedestrian tunnel under 2nd Street from from Ramada to the main campus.

Midtowner
01-15-2005, 12:17 AM
I also understood that they were building the new forensics center over there. In 10 years, I'll bet the UCO campus grows quite a bit!

I was disappointed to learn today that 52% of the bond money from the lottery will go to the OU and OSU, two schools that have done well for themselves when it comes for fundraising. The regional schools really needed help.

Patrick
01-15-2005, 12:22 AM
The regional schools really needed help.

You can say that again!

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-15-2005, 12:30 AM
What is 48% going to? I voted no, but I'm actually curious for once.