View Full Version : Ron Norick Library opening

Patrick
08-03-2004, 03:10 AM
August 17th. Finally, the last MAPS Project is opening! I can't wait to see it!

---------------------------
http://www.journalrecord.com/APTImages/OKC_57392.jpg

Offering a wealth of knowledge
by Heidi R. Centrella
The Journal Record
8/2/2004

The $24.5 million Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library will open Aug. 17, offering a wealth of resources for business leaders and the community as a whole.
With 112,000 square feet, the four-story, MAPS-funded library boasts175,000 volumes of books, CDs, videos and periodicals, a 138-seat theater with a state-of-the-art sound system for meetings and programs, more than a dozen computers with high-speed Internet access, an atrium and, in the near future, a cafe/snack bar.

In addition to the MAPS money, the library system spent $4.3 million of its own for furniture, fixtures and equipment.

Aside from the contemporary aesthetics and amenities, what also may be of interest to downtowners are the databases the library subscribes to, such as the Associated Press photo archive that goes back some 75 years, Facts on File, First Search, Health Source, the local history of Oklahoma County building index, SIRS Researcher, Reference USA and Business Source Elite, to name a few.

The business database includes more than 1,100 scholarly journals including 450 peer-reviewed publications.

"Our goal is to please Oklahoma County as much as possible," said M. Scott Carter, director of marketing. "We try to meet the needs of the business community, and we have worked many times with the small business development center to offer information and classes."

In meeting those needs, the library may offer something its quasi-competitors can't - knowledge. The staff of more than 30 is more than qualified to find anything anybody could want to know, Carter said. Unlike visiting a local Barnes & Noble or Borders, where patrons can sit in an oversized chair, sip cappuccino and peruse periodicals, those who visit the library can have just about any question answered by its staff.

"The difference between what you're getting there and what you're getting here is when you come see a librarian from Metro, you're getting somebody with a master's degree, and you're getting somebody who's trained to help you track down the information you need," Carter said. "

"They're there to sell books, and we're here to provide information. And the difference is in how the staff performs."

The new library also will offer computer classes on a variety of software programs. In addition, the Downtown College Consortium - comprised of Oklahoma City Community College, Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City, Redlands Community College, Rose State College and the University of Central Oklahoma - will hold classes on the fourth floor, complete with a defacto student union.

Other features unique to the library include "The Oklahoma Room," which is designed in the style of Frank Lloyd Wright and houses only volumes that either have been written about or by Oklahomans, and "The Holocaust Resource Collection," which was donated by the Oklahoma City Jewish Foundation.

A large reading room surrounded by glass extends over the building at the corner of Hudson and Park, offering a view of the Arts District, even the Chihuly exhibit at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. The reading room also houses a large public board room.

Architect Don Beck designed the building and took special interest in creating the children's area. He asked local school-age children what they would want in a library. When all was said and done, they got just what they wanted. A yellow-carpet road leads to a castle at the back of the children's area, as trees line the path and clouds hover above. Several computers are stationed along a curvy, brightly colored work table for kids and parents.

Library hours are 9 a.m.- 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.- 6 p.m. Saturday and 1-6 p.m. Sunday.

BG918
08-03-2004, 03:17 PM
If the interior of the new library is anything like the exterior, it will definitely be one cool place. Do we know when the "cafe/snack bar" is going to open? It would be nice if it were a Starbuck's or Java Dave's, I'm sure a lot of people going to the museam or the civic center music hall nearby would stop in for coffee and also to look around.

floater
08-03-2004, 03:53 PM
The MLS, like other library systems around the country, wants to counter the traffic loss to the bookstores, so they are giving it as much consumer and "stick around" appeal as possible. I can't wait to see the finish of the Oklahoma Room. As for the cafe, they can win back some of that traffic if it isn't furnished in plastic-looking particle board and instead in real woods and stones.

Alas it won't completely win over the bookstore crowd because of their limited hours. It isn't open late on Friday and Saturday nights when they could be offering an alternative to Bricktown. It could be another arts district hangout on the weekends while people are waiting for performances to open.

Still, it will be beautiful addition to downtown...

BG918
08-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Maybe if it's popular they will stay open later. Coffee shops/bookstores are really popular now and it could really be a big draw to that part of downtown.

Patrick
08-03-2004, 04:48 PM
The cafe/snack bar will be really cool! Will definitely fit in with the art museum cafe down the road! From pics I've seen of the new library inside, it loos fabulous! About the only complaint I have is the appearance of the exterior south wall, but that will be covered with the new Galleria parking garage.

mranderson
08-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Funny thing. The book passing is, of all days, Friday the thirteenth. Keep your black cats, mirrors and ladders at home guys.

Patrick
08-03-2004, 06:00 PM
What's Friday the 13th?

mranderson
08-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Good point. The city is sponsoring a "book passing" between the old and new buildings August 13, 2004... Friday the thirteenth. That is their way of cutting the ribbon on the new building.

From what I have seen, it looks great. Mick Cornett is featuring it on "Mayors Magazine" this month on Cox 20.

Patrick
08-03-2004, 06:23 PM
That's great. Thanks for letting us know Mr. Anderson!

HOT ROD
08-04-2004, 01:18 AM
I am glad to see the hours, 9-9pm m-th, so on. I always thought library hours in OKC were a major disappointment. It appeared that they were a business instead of institutions to serve the citizens of the city.

The downtown library used to close way too early, such that it gave downtown an "empty" feeling. With the new hours, local residents downtown would be encouraged to use the library. If someone gets off work at 5pm, at least they would ahve 4 hours to use the lib instead of only 1.

Most big city libraries have 9-9 on Sun-Th, with modified on Fri and Sat; and it is great to see that our central lib will have the same. We have moved up to the big leagues! Finally.

Patrick
08-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Actually, the downtown library has had those hours for several years now, but yeah, I agree that it was a good move when they decided to extend them! I can't wait until the new library opens. It will be so much nicer than the old one.

floater
08-04-2004, 09:14 PM
I'll say this: for millions less, we still got a library that stands out from the rest of its boxy neighbors. Other cities use their downtown libraries as an opportunity to attract star architecture (ala Seattle ;) ) We hired local boys Beck and Associates and they designed a library that meshes the styles of its neighbors -- the corporate glass of Oklahoma Tower and the Art Deco style of the civic buildings. The result is something that actually stands on its own. The step-down design is cool.

Patrick
08-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Hmmmmm. That step down design makes me think of Leadership Square. And the color definitely fits in with Oklahoma Tower.

swake
08-05-2004, 08:40 AM
The Tulsa world had a good article today about Tulsa’s new $58 million central library to be located on the south side of downtown at 11th and Denver just inside the inner dispersal loop from the Uptown Area. It’s supposed to include many of the items you mention that the Norick center has along with a Native American Center.

The Tulsa Library is planned to be the anchor for a new Townhouse style residential development and retail development that will link the Uptown area just south of downtown with the CBD and Civic Center. I believe the residential development is going to be done by the same people that are building the Villages at Central Park on the east side of downtown Tulsa.

Uptown is a well developed area that includes a very nice old residential area, the South Boston bar district and some office and hotel properties. It provides a nice transition from downtown into the very upscale Maple Ridge area, Riverparks, and Cherry Street/Brookside.

The problem area has been this “dead zone” on the south side of downtown from about 8th to 13th streets along Denver Avenue. This development, along with the Uptown Renaissance apartments that were completed a few years ago, is planned to fill this hole in downtown and the fabric of the otherwise wealthy near south side of Tulsa.

Patrick
08-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the update on Tulsa's Library. I definitely hope they'll learn from some of the mistakes we had with ours....namely all of the construction delays due to material changes. Anyways, that sounds pretty cool that it will be connected to a residential area! What a perfect fit!

floater
08-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Swake, do know how the relationship between the library and the townhouse development came together? It sounds like Uptown's going to be a winner. If you have any pics or details about this residential project, please post here!!

HOT ROD
08-05-2004, 07:46 PM
I'll say this: for millions less, we still got a library that stands out from the rest of its boxy neighbors. Other cities use their downtown libraries as an opportunity to attract star architecture (ala Seattle ;) ) We hired local boys Beck and Associates and they designed a library that meshes the styles of its neighbors -- the corporate glass of Oklahoma Tower and the Art Deco style of the civic buildings. The result is something that actually stands on its own. The step-down design is cool.

Floater, I totally agree with you.

Our new library in Seattle looks like a piece of ---t. My fiance and I have always wondered what the h--k is with Seattle with these crappy looking creations they like to call "Modern Art." The library and the EMP both look like someone balled up a bunch of tin foil, threw them on the ground, and called it art - for us to pay $$$.

I wish we had a library like your new one in OKC.

Also, Vancouver BC has a totally awesome downtown library that looks like the Coluseum in Rome - complete with an office tower, retail, restaurants, and underground parking. Here is the hyperlink, http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/cx/?id=106847

floater
08-05-2004, 09:56 PM
The Vancouver library is a new modern wonder, just amazing in its scale...and like Tulsa's is nicely complemented by commercial development.

On a vacation in Seattle a few years ago, I visited the Experience Music Project. Definitely a fun musuem where you can spend all day taking it in. Some have described it as one of Jimi Hendrix's guitars after he's bashed them.

Patrick
08-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Here are some pics of Vancouver's downtown library, called Vancouver Library Square. It's a beauty.

http://cac.mcgill.ca/safdie/finalImages/Ms114s26.jpg

http://cac.mcgill.ca/safdie/finalImages/Ms114s22.jpg

http://cac.mcgill.ca/safdie/finalImages/Ms114s25.jpg

http://cac.mcgill.ca/safdie/finalImages/Ms114s08.jpg

http://cac.mcgill.ca/safdie/finalImages/Ms114s01.jpg

http://cac.mcgill.ca/safdie/finalImages/Ms114s16.jpg

http://cac.mcgill.ca/safdie/finalImages/Ms114s20.jpg

HOT ROD
08-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Guys, Library Square in Van City is BEAUTIFUL!!! Just like its city!

Hopefully OKC's Norick is modeled after Library Square (at least the inside amenities). I really hope/wish OKC could have retail and office like Library Square does!

By the way, Library Square consists of a 21 storey office building and a 9 storey main building with atrium that has library facitilies, retail, and shoppes. Westin Grand Hotel is right across the street and the veritable forest of skyscrapers of downtown Van are all within 1 mile. Absolutely beautiful! Did you guys see the trees on the building stepbacks and facade?