View Full Version : Solution to panhandler problem

Patrick
01-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Weren't we just discussing the a few days ago? Obviously, the problem is being addressed. I'm somewhat afraid of the voucher system Lopez recommends though. It possibly could be a way for homeless people to get close enough to innocent citizens and take advantage of them in other ways. Also, I think the vouchers are promoting our bus system as the transportation system for the homeless instead of the creative class. What do you guys think?

"City seeks panhandler solution
by Heidi R. Centrella
The Journal Record
1/13/2005

Downtown area patrons are experiencing more aggressive panhandlers, city officials claim. Now the city is working with area organizations in search of innovative ways to curb the problem.
"It doesn't sound like it's a growing population, but it's just that we're seeing more of it in the downtown area than we have in the past," said David Lopez, executive director of Downtown OKC.

The Homeless Alliance, a relatively new organization, has researched the topic and profiled the population, which has led to much discussion between city officials regarding the legalities and potential solutions surrounding the problem.

"You can't say that somebody can't be in a public area," Lopez said. "And if they ask for a handout, that's freedom of speech. The First Amendment protects that."

The only thing cities have from the standpoint of trying to address the problem is to focus on aggressive panhandling.

"It's something I think more cities are looking at now to make sure that that doesn't become a hindrance to urban areas," Lopez said. "From that we learned that we need to be part of a partnership because now it's the business community, which hadn't been part of the discussions so far, that has a strong interest in the two."

The city now is working with the Homeless Alliance and trying to develop a partnership with them, providers such as homeless shelters, and the churches.

"Ultimately we want to try to see what they can do to get help to those that really need it," said Lopez. "And then try to minimize the aggressive panhandling that is tough to deal with, because if one gives money, research indicates it goes to something that's not really healthy for that individual … yet so many of us are feeling like we need to be charitable in some fashion."

According to the Homeless Alliance's most recent study, there are approximately 2,600 homeless people in Oklahoma City, most depending on facilities such as City Rescue, Jesus House and Salvation Army.

Each of those facilities is located in the downtown area.

"Since downtown Oklahoma City has really improved and attracted many, many more people, when these folks get panhandled, they complain about it," said Dan Straughan, Homeless Alliance executive director. "There are a lot more citizens down there. I just think it has more to do with when that area was undeveloped, people didn't care about it as much and now they do."

While no plans are officially in place, one thought to address the problem is to develop some sort of a voucher system. Straughan said he looks forward to working with Lopez and the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber on such a program.

"The voucher is good for, the expression we use is 'Three hots and a cot' - a good meal and a place to stay the night," Straughan said. "It's also good for a bus token, so that when you're asked for a couple of bucks on the street, rather than giving them a couple of bucks, you give them one of these vouchers and you know that with that voucher they'll be able to find a safe, warm place to sleep with a good meal, and they'll have transportation to it."

Straughan said it's a win-win because citizens get to not only help, but help in an appropriate way. His research shows that of the 2,600 homeless in Oklahoma City, 48 percent struggle with substance abuse problems, mental health problems or both.

"Giving that population cash money is not a good thing," he said. "It's ill used. So giving them a voucher that's good for a place to stay and a good meal and transportation to and from is much more beneficial to them than handing them a couple of bucks."

metro
01-13-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm glad they are addressing the situation

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Panhandlers generally come to city's like OKC when the weather is real nice, and pretend to be bums. Then when it turns hot, they go home to their rich parents. This is true for city's like Portland mostly all year. Portland is deemd as the Panhandling Capital of the World too, lol.

Midtowner
01-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Having been there, I absolutely believe that!

Also the microbrewery capital of the USA. I think that's far more important.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Actually, I would rather know a reason to avoid public trans than late' shops.