View Full Version : Bricktown Varsity closed but will re-open

Patrick
01-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I hadn't realized this, but the Varsity Sports Grill closed Dec. 23rd in Bricktown.

I just don't think some business owners know how to survive in Bricktown. As I've said before...if you want to survive down there, you need to realzie that winter is a down season. Also, opening up additional stores/restaurants elsewhere in the city helps a great deal.....it makes up for the winter losses in Bricktown.

---------
"Brewer: The Varsity will rise again
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record
1/12/2005

The Varsity Sports Grill in Bricktown, which closed Dec. 23, will be open again by the end of this week, landlord Jim Brewer said - even if he has to do it himself.
"It's owned by some people from out of state, and you know how hard it is to delegate from a distance," Brewer said. "But they're reorganizing and should be back in business by Friday.… If they don't take care of it pretty quick, we'll take it over ourselves."

Varsity spokesman Mike Sala, working at the site Tuesday, said attempts are being made to reopen the restaurant this weekend, even though service might initially be limited to beer and nachos. Sala would not discuss additional details of the closing. The Dallas owners could not be reached for comment.

Bricktown Association Executive Director Frank Sims said that in light of the Lotus Steaks Sushi and Seafood restaurant also closing this week, it would be easy - and incorrect - to assume Bricktown is facing potential problems.

"Bricktown is always in evolution," Sims said. "Lotus was a specialty place that we thought would be an asset to the district. It's unfortunate they had issues with vendors and the bank. We hate to see someone not succeed in the market.

"The good news is that there are a lot of people who are very interested in being downtown - a lot," he said.

Sims said last year saw few closings in Bricktown, and restaurants reported from 10 percent to 30 percent sales increases overall.

"The problem is that we're somewhat of a seasonal market. It requires time and the person must be well capitalized to survive the first years," he said. "The market's definitely here. It's just a constant battle."

The Varsity Sports Grill on NW 63rd changed its name to the Original Varsity to differentiate itself from the others when the two restaurants went to different owners."

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 11:11 PM
I wish they held winter extravaganza's down there that were worth seeing.

Patrick
01-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Wat winter extravaganza are you referring to?

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 11:13 PM
The millions of downtown shows, etc. "Downtown in December" etc, etc.

Patrick
01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
I actually enjoyed Downtown in December. The skating rink was a blast, as was the free admission to the Crystal Bridge and the free boat rides.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 11:20 PM
You mean taxi. I may actually do the boat rides, that is the differance. lol.

Patrick
01-13-2005, 01:16 AM
We had an onslaught of new posts here last night and early this morning by a new poster, so I'm just moving the more recent posts to the front page.