View Full Version : Gaijin For Sale?

Pages : [1] 2

BBatesokc
03-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Saw this on CraigsList today....

"Beautiful sushi bar in downtown OKC. Two doors from OKC Thunder apparel store. Does not include name, LLC or licences.
Contact Gil @ 990-8359."

Downtown SUSHI BAR (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bfs/1060107999.html)

metro
03-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Wow, that sucks, but not surprised, not the best location for a sushi place after 5pm with limited foot traffic in the CBD, now had they located in Bricktown before In The Raw, they probably could have made a decent run at it, or in their what was to be MidTown location probably would have been better.

OKCMallen
03-05-2009, 08:23 AM
It seemed like a bad idea from the get-go, not to mention I feel the quality suffered at times.

Steve
03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I've heard this is a management, not a location or concept problem.

BBatesokc
03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
I've heard this is a management, not a location or concept problem.

I think its a "no customers" problem. I've eaten there before and its okay but certainly there are much better options.

Dave Cook
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Maybe if they didn't name it such an offensive term, it could succeed.

It's "Gaigokujin" now....not Gaijin. This is 2009, not 1981.

You don't see other places called "Dune Coon Indian Food" or "Wetback Willie's".

BG918
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM

You don't see other places called "Dune Coon Indian Food" or "Wetback Willie's".

I've always thought the same thing. Gaijin is considered politically incorrect and sometimes offensive. There is a Japanese restaurant in Tulsa called Ichiban which literally translates to Number One!, a much better name LOL.

Stan Silliman
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Is Gaijin an offensive term? I thought it just meant either "White guy" or "Non-Japanese guy"

My nephew was a sushi chef @ the Norman store before taking an oilfield job to pay back his culinary school tuition.

Dave Cook
03-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm obviously just being facetious, but it isn't 'politically correct' anymore to call someone 'gaijin'.

It translates to 'outsider'.

mecarr
03-05-2009, 09:48 AM
I've heard that the management has tried restaurant ventures in the past only to have them fail. I have eaten at Gaijin once before and it was okay, but nothing great. I walk by there alot in the evenings and it is almost always empty. I think the flourescent lighting is terrible and really hurts any chance of nice ambiance.

With that said, I do feel bad for the owner. I had talked with him about a week before Gaijin opened and he clearly had high hopes and big dreams for the restaurant. He was thinking how neat it would be once the Devon tower was built and how that would probably attract a lot of customers. He definitely seemed confident that it would work.

Although I can understand why the restaurant doesn't do well in the evenings and nights, I have a hard time understanding why it doesn't do well at lunch. It is right in the heart of the business district and would seem like a nice alternative to your subways and quiznos.

BBatesokc
03-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Although I can understand why the restaurant doesn't do well in the evenings and nights, I have a hard time understanding why it doesn't do well at lunch. It is right in the heart of the business district and would seem like a nice alternative to your subways and quiznos.

Agreed. I think the location for a lunch and small dinner crowd is very good. I just think the quality and atmosphere was lacking greatly.

I too was very excited when it first opened and took some friends almost immediately. They were less than impressed.

I personally like dinner options near, but not in, Bricktown when I have plans in the evening downtown. We eat often at Trattoria for that very reason.

I'd like to see the place vacated and turned into another eatery. Maybe a Starbucks, Jersey Mike's, small cafe or something.

okclee
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
I was always a big fan of the Gaijin in Norman and I still am a big fan. The Gaijin Okc has been very poor both times I have been there. Bad service and bad quality = bad restaurant.

It is nothing like the Gaijin Norman other than the name.

okclee
03-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Jersey Mikes would be a huge hit at that location.

mecarr
03-05-2009, 10:24 AM

Agreed, but don't we have enough sandwich places? How about a Sabarros or a souper salad.

BDP
03-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Gaijin was probably the worst sushi I have ever had, so it doesn't really surprise me. I don't think they tried very hard. I liked the location though. Hopefully, they can get something more unique in there that gives people a reason to go downtown. I don't see the same old stuff, especially a mediocre effort at something that is readily available everywhere else, working there right now.

jbrown84
03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I'd love to have a Panera in that location, but it's too small.

OKCMallen
03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
You know, I hate to say it, but a Starbucks would be perfect there.

BDP
03-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah, the formula for a financial/business district would be Starbucks, Jamba Juice, a deli, a burrito joint, pizza by the slice, or some semi-healthy, yet unsatisfying salad/sandwich place. Any of those are probably going to work from 11 to 3.

I think it would actually be cool to see some sort of diner/counter place downtown. Then they could pretty much take care of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as coffee and juices all in one place. I certainly think it would be beneficial to both workers and residents.

OKCMallen
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah, the formula for a financial/business district would be Starbucks, Jamba Juice, a deli, a burrito joint, pizza by the slice, or some semi-healthy, yet unsatisfying salad/sandwich place. Any of those are probably going to work from 11 to 3.

I think it would actually be cool to see some sort of diner/counter place downtown. Then they could pretty much take care of breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as coffee and juices all in one place. I certainly think it would be beneficial to both workers and residents.

They do have the bar already set up on the east side of the restaurant. Something like wha tyou said could be unique- pay the bills a bit with your typical morning and afternoon fare, then possibly serve a little booze at night with minimal waitstaff?

okclee
03-05-2009, 03:21 PM
The more I think about it I would like to see a bar/restaurant in that location. Downtown needs more of an after work bar with an awesome happy hour from 4-7.

Think of a downtown Louie's or a Charleston's with the bar being the focal point.

(http://www.louiesgrillandbar.com/)
http://www.charlestons.com/index.phpwith

jbrown84
03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Interurban fills that role pretty well.

I like the idea of a 24-hour diner, but something local with better food than IHOP. Hotel guests would sure appreciate it.

BBatesokc
03-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Keep in mind the space is tiny.

That being said, I think someone should take a clue from the commonplace tiny full service deli's and lunch counters in places like NYC.

I am amazed how much restaurant they can pack into some of those businesses. The look is cool and they always seem clean, fresh and lively.

BG918
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Would it ever. Jersey Mikes is my favorite chain sandwich place in OKC and its small size would fit perfectly in Gaijin's location. Panera somewhere in the CBD would be awesome as well.

John
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Gil Gentry (who owns Gaijin) received the nickname while in Japan doing a sushi apprenticeship, if I remember the story correctly.

okclee
03-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Better yet, how about a Chik-fil-a in that spot??

LakeEffect
03-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Better yet, how about a Chik-fil-a in that spot??

To replace the one that used to be in the Park-Harvey?

I don't think another sandwich shop is in order... CityBites is next door in Leadership Square, Subway is up the street, Quiznos is around the corner (and so is another Subway), and now Hobby's Hoagies is open on Walker.

The 24-hour diner is a fantastic idea, but I'm a little skeptical because the majority of the housing and hotel traffic is further east.

kevinpate
03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
So, da bait bucket tips over. Sad for some, meaningless for others.
Maybe a doughnut shop, maybe a cupcake club. I don't drink it but yeah, a Starbucks would probably do well there.

okclee
03-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Exactly. The downtown Chik-fil-a must be brought back. I am not sure why they ever left.

I agree the 24 hour diner concept is lacking, but I am not sure that Gaijin is the right spot for it. Someone will come up with a good idea I am sure of that.

Wasn't there going to be a Gaijin in Midtown as well? Never could figure that out, when the other one opened.

I do think that a sushi bar would do good in Midtown though.

Steve
03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
See prior answer.

Midtowner
03-05-2009, 08:01 PM
As far as Starbucks goes, there are already two coffee shops within a block -- one in Leadership and the other in First National. A third if you count the snackbar at the courthouse which sort of sells coffee... I mean it's called that, but... Will the market bear a third?

soonerguru
03-05-2009, 09:02 PM
As far as Starbucks goes, there are already two coffee shops within a block -- one in Leadership and the other in First National. A third if you count the snackbar at the courthouse which sort of sells coffee... I mean it's called that, but... Will the market bear a third?

The real question is, is the market good enough to handle one GOOD coffee shop? I love the people, but the coffee sold in the CBD is total swill.

okyeah
03-05-2009, 09:04 PM
In February (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bfs/1052387096.html) he was trying to sell it for 125K. Now it's only 75K...what a steal!

Anyway, as for Gaijin's replacement....I still think that a sushi spot would do well in that place. Fusebox (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/358348) (apparently now it's called We Fuse) is a sushi type restaurant in Austin that has about the same square footage as Gaijin's location. It's located in a tower (dorms) really close to the UT-austin campus. It has similar prices with Gaijin, only difference is the higher quality food. Here's another article (http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/life_arts/1.955344)in the student newspaper...they don't have a website.

BailJumper
03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Wow - I just drove by the place tonight and thought to myself, "that place is never going to make it." Then I log-on here and walla, its true.

I vote for the NYC 24-hour diner concept. That would be very cool.

OKCTalker
03-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Gil Gentry (who owns Gaijin) received the nickname while in Japan doing a sushi apprenticeship, if I remember the story correctly.

John - You're correct. And I suspect that Gil's quality problems discussed here are what typically happens to an entrepreneur who expands his/her retailbusiness to a second location. Very hard to maintain that exceptionally high standard of quality when you're not omnipresent.

mecarr
03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Aren't we all assuming that someone won't just buy the place and keep it as a sushi place and try to market it better? I still like sushi, and I don't know why it wouldn't work for just a lunch crowd. I think the problem was with Gaijin, not necessarily the concept of having a sushi restaurant in that spot.

Why not make it into some sort of convenience store or gourmet store, like a Market C or something. Whatever replaces Gaijin doesn't have to be a restaurant.

tuck
03-06-2009, 07:06 AM
In February (http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bfs/1052387096.html) he was trying to sell it for 125K. Now it's only 75K...what a steal!

Anyway, as for Gaijin's replacement....I still think that a sushi spot would do well in that place. Fusebox (http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/358348) (apparently now it's called We Fuse) is a sushi type restaurant in Austin that has about the same square footage as Gaijin's location. It's located in a tower (dorms) really close to the UT-austin campus. It has similar prices with Gaijin, only difference is the higher quality food. Here's another article (http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/life_arts/1.955344)in the student newspaper...they don't have a website.

Another difference: 50,000 people, 24 hours a day within walking distance.

tuck
03-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Aren't we all assuming that someone won't just buy the place and keep it as a sushi place and try to market it better? I still like sushi, and I don't know why it wouldn't work for just a lunch crowd. I think the problem was with Gaijin, not necessarily the concept of having a sushi restaurant in that spot.

Why not make it into some sort of convenience store or gourmet store, like a Market C or something. Whatever replaces Gaijin doesn't have to be a restaurant.

What about a taco stand? just sayin'

metro
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM

Actually if you count First Edition in the Library across the street, there is another. It is also a deli/sandwich shop so the deli idea above probably wouldn't work either considering Subway is next door and Quizno's around the corner.

OKCMallen
03-06-2009, 09:10 AM
What about a taco stand? just sayin'

Could this be another great idea brought to you by the GEG?! :bright_id

BDP
03-06-2009, 09:19 AM
I think there are a lot of good ideas here and I agree there is room for a quality sushi place there or in mid-town. And I think a street level diner would be good almost anywhere in the CBD, really. I do like the Taco stand idea, too, but I wonder how much pull it would have in the evenings... It would probably almost do a better late night business on the weekend than a nightly dinner crowd.

I do think that a sushi bar would do good in Midtown though.

True or may even just a quality seafood place. I think Soleil touches on it and does a decent job, but something like Boca Boca in Mid-Town would be great as well. We do steaks very well, but few do a full blown seafood menu here, probably for obvious reasons, but it can be done.

kevinpate
03-07-2009, 04:03 AM
tuck got me to wondering ... do any of the taco trucks around the city hang out in/near the CBD during the day? Can't say I've ever seen one, but I'm rarely near CBD in daylight hours, and when i am, I'm usually in a touch of a hurry.

metro
03-09-2009, 08:16 AM
tuck got me to wondering ... do any of the taco trucks around the city hang out in/near the CBD during the day? Can't say I've ever seen one, but I'm rarely near CBD in daylight hours, and when i am, I'm usually in a touch of a hurry.

No, nor night that I know of either.

Steve
03-09-2009, 08:18 AM
They sometimes hit the major construction sites. Expect them when Devon Tower goes up.

BBatesokc
03-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Well, it appears the downtown OKC Gaijin is no more. Walked past this morning and they had an Out Of Business sign in the window.

jawgie
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I certainly agree with the Chik-fil-a in that area.

metro
03-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Doubt it after the way they were reportedly treated by Gardner Tanenbaum group.

mecarr
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, it appears the downtown OKC Gaijin is no more. Walked past this morning and they had an Out Of Business sign in the window.

Man that's too bad. I guess they lasted about 7 months?

Dave Cook
03-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Would someone explain the fascination around here with Chick-fil-a. It certainly seems to be a suburban caucasian heaven. But why the popularity?

Anyone ever tried Canes Chicken in Norman? Very, very good.

OKCMallen
03-23-2009, 02:34 PM

I just had a couple of beers there Friday night before the Thunder game. that's a shame.

Steve
03-23-2009, 04:21 PM
SweetNSour, their food is good. They tend to have much better service than typical fast food places, they are cleaner, and kids love their playgrounds.

soonerguru
03-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I will miss Devil's Advocate, one of my favorite sushi dishes in the Metro.

Drake
03-23-2009, 06:51 PM
SweetNSour, their food is good. They tend to have much better service than typical fast food places, they are cleaner, and kids love their playgrounds.

Exactly. Their service and the manners of the employees is typical outstanding. Plus, their food is good. Raising Cains is also very good

dismayed
03-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Well the good news is that the Gaijin in Norman off of I-35 is still open, so if you really have a massive craving for the Devil's Advocate you can always hop on the highway. :-)

tuck
03-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Exactly. Their service and the manners of the employees is typical outstanding. Plus, their food is good. Raising Cains is also very good

Raising Cane typically choose college towns for locations...great company/concept.

kevinpate
03-24-2009, 02:39 AM
> you can always hop on the highway

These days it may be faster to hop onto Western and ride it south into Norman, or go the 240 to Sooner and down route. That or don't head south to Norman until after 7:30 pm.

OKCMallen
03-24-2009, 07:36 AM

The D-Ad was very good. Their best offering.

BBatesokc
04-23-2009, 08:25 AM
I walked past the shell that was Gaijin this morning. There was a crew remodeling it. I inquired and a businessman who seemed to be in the know said it was bought by an Asian male and is going to be another Sushi type restaurant.

Take it for what it is worth - but somebody is remodeling it.

BigTulsa
04-23-2009, 08:38 AM
John - You're correct. And I suspect that Gil's quality problems discussed here are what typically happens to an entrepreneur who expands his/her retailbusiness to a second location. Very hard to maintain that exceptionally high standard of quality when you're not omnipresent.

Case in point up the turnpike: Tsunami's Sushi. He had the downtown location, then expanded to the Jenks Riverwalk location. The downtown location shut down last month.

OKCMallen
04-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Case in point up the turnpike: Tsunami's Sushi. He had the downtown location, then expanded to the Jenks Riverwalk location. The downtown location shut down last month.

Isn't the one at the Riverwalk gone too, now?

metro
04-23-2009, 08:47 AM
A couple weeks ago I heard serious talks were being made from a very reputable source as well as talks are being made for the former Claybourne's Haberdashery location next door. Hopefully the Park Harvey will have some new retail/restaurant life breathed into it soon!