View Full Version : Ford Center renovations update

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

metro
03-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Second round begins for Ford Center face-lift; project on target
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record March 4, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – Almost $4 million in work has been completed in the first phase of a massive renovation of the Ford Center arena in downtown Oklahoma City, Benham Cos. Senior Project Manager Jim Reynolds told City Council members Tuesday.

The next phase, which will involve the majority of the $100 million tax-funded project, is expected to begin in April after a quick turnaround in the bidding process.

“It will start as soon as the season is over,” Reynolds said. “We’re breaking it up this way because the team is really concerned about not having any construction ongoing during their season.”

Last March, city residents passed a 15-month, 1-cent sales tax worth about $120 million to upgrade the arena in order to improve chances of attracting an NBA team. About $20 million of that total is earmarked for the construction of a separate practice facility for the sole use of the former Seattle SuperSonics basketball team, now the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Among the improvements expected in the arena are the addition of sit-down restaurants and clubs so fans can eat and drink while watching the game, private suites, a larger team retail store area, media broadcast facilities and bigger locker rooms.

Benham won the contract for the upgrade last year. The Oklahoma City company had also provided full architecture and engineering design for the building for its grand opening in mid-2002, then a major component of the original Metropolitan Area Projects, or MAPS, tax initiative.

City Manager Jim Couch, Reynolds and other officials have said it’s likely that minor change orders will be required as work progresses, but Reynolds’ report this week showed the project was largely on target.

“The budget is tight, so it’s a good time to bid projects right now because of the downturn in the economy,” Couch said. “We’re seeing the contractors to be much hungrier; they’re more aggressive in their bidding and there’s a lot more of them bidding. … Our greatest risk right now is to make sure sales tax revenue is maintained.”

The work recently completed focused primarily on restrooms, some electrical wiring for the broadcast media area and the addition of a new restaurant.

Benham will accept bids through March for the second phase, which will consist of about 60 percent of the remaining interior renovations at the event level, Reynolds said. Work on the main entry concourse will be held for a later phase, as will new concession stands and retail outlets.

“We’re trying to get a piece of it out to bid to where it could be constructed before the start of the next season,” he said.

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=96493)

warreng88
03-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Second round begins for Ford Center face-lift; project on target

Among the improvements expected in the arena are the addition of sit-down restaurants and clubs so fans can eat and drink while watching the game, private suites, a larger team retail store area, media broadcast facilities and bigger locker rooms.

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=96493)

Is this what is going to be completed during the off season? I forget what the stages are for the renovation.

metro
03-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Yes, as well as the major expansion of the exterior, etc.

warreng88
03-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes, as well as the major expansion of the exterior, etc.

What is being saved for after next season? The Major SW expansion and the rooftop gardens?

BDP
03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Is a new scoreboard included in all of this? I thought we were supposed to get one this season.

Also, will this next phase complete the part that will temporarily make it impossible to load in large events like concerts?

Richard at Remax
03-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I am fairly sure the ford center will shut down for a few months this summer and thats why the concerts are not going to be able to come. I also think during this time period they will get the majority of the contruction work done on the new entrances and balconies and by the time next season starts all that will be left is cosmetic and interior work

john60
03-04-2009, 10:00 AM
A new scoreboard has GOT to be included in this round; I bet we have one of the worst in the league. Most boards in the Big XII even are high def and have much more information than ours. Look no further than Norman.

Jesseda
03-04-2009, 11:33 AM
so is there any additonal seating if so how many more

BDP
03-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I am fairly sure the ford center will shut down for a few months this summer and thats why the concerts are not going to be able to come.

Right. I just wondering if all the work that will prohibit shows will be included and completed in the next phase. I would hate to lose two summer seasons of concerts.

warreng88
03-04-2009, 11:59 AM
so is there any additonal seating if so how many more

Actually, there will be a slight cut of seating due to adding the restaurant, nicer suites, etc. I believe the number is about 500. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

BDP
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I believe that's about right. I think most of it will be in the club level End seating, which will be replaced by what I think is called loge seating. My impression is that it's more of a loungey area.

I'm not sure if the 500 is a net loss or a gross, because aren't they adding "sky boxes" too, which would add some seating up there, right?

Richard at Remax
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes. They are mirroring (if that's even a word) the sky boxes on the east side to the west side. probably spruce those up a bit as well

sroberts24
03-31-2009, 06:39 AM
this all starts right after the season is over.... correct?

metro
03-31-2009, 08:16 AM
From The Article:

Excerpt: “It will start as soon as the season is over,” Reynolds said. “We’re breaking it up this way because the team is really concerned about not having any construction ongoing during their season.”

warreng88
04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Ford Center work OK’d
Comments 0
Buzz up!Published: April 8, 2009

Final plans for $12.5 million in improvements to the Ford Center won approval Tuesday from the Oklahoma City Council.

The renovations are part of the $120 million plan approved last year by city voters to bring the Ford Center to NBA standards. The project is funded by a 1-cent sales tax that will expire in March 2010.

Bids on the project will be accepted May 5, with work expected to be done by October. Improvements include new clubs on the lower level and suite levels, new suites and a new locker room.

http://newsok.com/ford-center-work-okd/article/3359867

Thunder
04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I remember seeing several presentations of the remodel of the Ford Center.

Was one decided yet? Pictures?

metro
04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Yes, here is the pic again, and I'm pretty sure you can ignore the parking out front.

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior5c.jpg

Pete
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
This is the one from the official Ford Center site (seems to lack the video board):

http://okfordcenter.com/Improvements_ext1.jpg

Improvements - Ford Center (http://okfordcenter.com/Improvements.html)

theparkman81
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
The Ford Center is going to look nice after its done, I think its going to look a lot better then the Sprint Center in Kansas City and the BOK Center in Tulsa.

metro
04-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't know if I'd go that far, but as far as amentities it will compete or beat them. The Sprint Center is just AWESOME and the BOK Center is a work of art, at least the outside.

Pete
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
A few more:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordfloorplan.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior5b.jpg

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/fordexterior5d.jpg

Thunder
04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
That's just awesome!

But, I just don't see how it's possible to have such a huge striped cement, unless that stretch of Robinson is taken out.

BDP
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
BTW, anyone know if the team been actively shopping the naming rights?

I ask only because, if they are someone should show it to AT&T... more bars in more places anyone?:

http://okfordcenter.com/Improvements_ext1.jpg

warreng88
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
That's just awesome!

But, I just don't see how it's possible to have such a huge striped cement, unless that stretch of Robinson is taken out.

That part of it will probably be toned down, but I would assume it would at least lead up to the street.

metro
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
BDP, I don't think naming rights will come into play until after the renovations are complete.

Stinger
04-08-2009, 04:01 PM
The Ford Center is going to look nice after its done, I think its going to look a lot better then the Sprint Center in Kansas City and the BOK Center in Tulsa.

I was at the BOK last weekend. It's already starting to discolor at the seams. I'm afraid it's going to rust soon.

jbrown84
04-08-2009, 07:37 PM
We already have the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark.

Richard at Remax
04-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Not to mention the AT&T Center in San Antonio

Thunder
04-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I doubt it will be changed. It should remain the Ford Center. The name has already burned into this building.

bluedogok
04-08-2009, 08:07 PM
It will remain the Ford Center as long as the Oklahoma Ford Dealers Association keeps paying what their contract states. Whenever that contract is up, it may change.

fromdust
04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
c'mon bdp is joking with the at&t name.
see the more bars?

sgt. pepper
04-09-2009, 05:45 AM
maybe it will be renamed to Government Motors center.

kevinpate
04-09-2009, 05:52 AM
More so than any other local structure, the new entry would fit well with the current ATT marketing. I rather suspect though that if the name leaves Ford, we'll see an energy company name in its place. Nothing agaisnt them, but I wouldn't want it to be Sandridge, cause who wants their team playing in the sandbox.

Thunder
04-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Devon's Thunderdome

Mr Big
04-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Any chance we can convince them to put in bigger seats? They are so small and tight together my shoulders are often in the ears of people next me. I find myself having to lean forward on my already crushed knees in order to keep out of my neighbors space. Despite, having season tickets, I skipped many games because I didn't feel like dealing with the impending back pain at the end of the night.

metro
04-09-2009, 07:38 AM
We already have the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark.

That doesn't mean anything, there is Ford Field in Detroit. Most major sponsors sponsor several arenas/venues across the country. There are two American Airlines Centers (Miami, Dallas). Sponsorship money is sponsorship money.

metro
04-09-2009, 07:39 AM
I doubt it will be changed. It should remain the Ford Center. The name has already burned into this building.

Doesn't matter, Ford only purchased NAMING RIGHTS. There is a clause specifically that states if the Ford Center upgrades and gets a major league tenant, the naming rights would go up for bid again. Look for that to happen probably next year when the improvements are finished. Basically they were paying for naming rights on a minor league $89 million arena. They didn't pay the naming rights on a $200 major league arena.

Pete
04-09-2009, 08:06 AM
If I'm not mistaken, it's the Thunder that now controls the naming rights and royalties for the arena.

I'm sure they'll be looking for more money once the existing contract expires... They may even be working to buy the Ford dealers out.

metro
04-09-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't think they have to wait for expiration. If memory serves right, I believe Pete is right in that the major league tenant gets rights to naming once major league improvements have been made or Ford dealers contract expires. I'm pretty sure the contract is a long one, so they mentioned they'd be putting it up for bid after renovations. They won't have to buy the Ford dealers out as much as it would be letting them out of their naming lease early.

BDP
04-09-2009, 08:22 AM
That's right. And if the team does terminate the agreement with the Ford Dealers, the city would still get the money equal to the terms of that agreement and the team would get the net of the new agreement minus the old.

c'mon bdp is joking with the at&t name.

Finally, someone who truly understand me. ; )

Then again, if I was shopping it, I would at least mention it to them.

Thing is, though, it may not actually be a good time to shop a sponsorship right now. I am sure the usual suspects may still have the cash for it, but I'm thinking it would be a lot less competitive market right now, as there probably isn't as much money budgeted towards this stuff this year.

jbrown84
04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
That doesn't mean anything, there is Ford Field in Detroit. Most major sponsors sponsor several arenas/venues across the country. There are two American Airlines Centers (Miami, Dallas). Sponsorship money is sponsorship money.

Yeah, but Miami and Dallas are not 3 city blocks from each other...

HOT ROD
04-09-2009, 02:55 PM
maybe it will be renamed to Government Motors center.

Vancouver already has Government ...., er uhh ..... General Motors covered. GM Place (http://www.generalmotorsplace.com/), aka "the garage."

Oil Capital
04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
That's right. And if the team does terminate the agreement with the Ford Dealers, the city would still get the money equal to the terms of that agreement and the team would get the net of the new agreement minus the old.

Finally, someone who truly understand me. ; )

Then again, if I was shopping it, I would at least mention it to them.

Thing is, though, it may not actually be a good time to shop a sponsorship right now. I am sure the usual suspects may still have the cash for it, but I'm thinking it would be a lot less competitive market right now, as there probably isn't as much money budgeted towards this stuff this year.

Yeah, unfortunately, it's a horrible time to be shopping naming rights right now. The new Dallas Cowboys stadium, among other big-league venues are having a very tough time finding naming sponsors.

metro
04-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Yeah, but Miami and Dallas are not 3 city blocks from each other...

yeah, and if anything AT&T would LOVE to have 2 branded venues so close. The power of branding! I'm sure they would do it too if the price was right!

metro
04-10-2009, 07:58 AM
The Ford Center in for the long haul
Published: April 10, 2009
Modified: April 9, 2009 at 11:20 pm

If the Thunder is still in Oklahoma City in 2025, they will be playing in the Ford Center, according to Tom Anderson, Oklahoma City special projects manager.

Advertisement

With state-of-the-art arenas being built around the country some fans have voiced concern that the Ford Center could become obsolete despite more than $100 million in renovations. Anderson said the six-year-old building will still rank with newer arenas 15 years from now.

"I can’t predict exactly how many years it will be functional but revenue streams like suites and loge boxes are the kind of things that make or break an arena,” Anderson said. "That’s what we’re adding. This building will be flexible to make incremental changes over time.”

Over the next five months construction crews will add 48 loge seating areas, club dining, restaurants, 11 high-dollar bunker suites and renovate locker rooms and the media center.

"This will put us very high competitively with other NBA arenas,” Anderson said. "As far as the life value of arenas it comes down to amenities and revenue streams. After these additions, structurally we’ll be able to tweak those things over time.”

By Mike Baldwin

metro
04-10-2009, 08:00 AM
http://newsok.com/ford-center-getting-a-facelift/article/3360312?custom_click=lead_story_title

Ford Center getting a facelift
Renovations: New scoreboard, other changes coming to arena
BY MIKE BALDWIN
Published: April 10, 2009
Modified: April 10, 2009 at 4:47 am

The Thunder is closing down the Ford Center tonight.

After the final buzzer and after the players leave the court, the only people inside the Ford Center the next five months will be construction crews giving the six-year-old facility a significant facelift.

Advertisement

The next time anyone watches the Thunder play a preseason game in October, capacity will be reduced by around 550 seats. Major additions will include:

→A new $5.5 million scoreboard with video wings on the top and bottom and high definition-like quality.

→Upgraded floors and wall finishes in Loud City.

→48 new box seating areas in the club area.

→A new locker room the length of the court that will include weight equipment, video equipment and player-friendly amenities.

"A more modern building will improve the fan experience,” said Brian Byrnes, Thunder vice president of ticket sales and services. "Thunder games will be more exciting because the focus is on fan amenities.”

Using nearly half of the $120 million generated from a 1-cent sales tax extension voters approved last year, the Ford Center will feature several major changes. Many of the new additions will generate additional revenue streams for the Thunder.

Construction bids will be accepted in early May and work will start after that. No concerts or sporting events will be held in the Ford Center until renovation concludes in late September.

The most significant addition is 48 loge boxes, four- and six-seat areas on both ends in the club sections.

"Loge seating is the new thing,” said Tim Linville, director of Ford Center marketing and sales. "They’ll have a table in the front and back and wide seats on swivel casters. It feels like a suite. You just don’t have a big walking area with all the furniture. It fills a niche between regular seats and a suite.”

Loge boxes include year-round entertainment. For the same price as an eighth row Thunder courtside level season ticket, loge boxes — at prices of $12,375 per seat (in six-seat boxes) or $14,045 per seat (in four-seats boxes) — include tickets to most major concerts, family shows and all Thunder games.

Because of the loge boxes, Ford Center capacity for NBA games will be reduced to around 18,600 compared to this season’s 19,136-seat configuration. The number of suites will be reduced from 55 to 36.

For the average fan, the most noticeable changes will be the new scoreboard, a new LED ribbon video board around the arena and upgrades entering Loud City.

The Thunder’s current locker room will be converted into a ground level club for specific sections in the lower bowl. The team’s new locker room on the south side will be expansive and grow even larger when the third and final phase is completed in the summer of 2010.

"Our entire organization is excited about the upcoming Ford Center renovations,” said Paul Rivers, Thunder director of basketball administration and technology. "We’ve enjoyed working with the city to create a locker room that best fits the needs of our players, staff, visiting teams and the media.”

Most of the new additions target high-dollar season-ticket holders, whether it’s wider seats in lower courtside sections or more club areas.

"Fans can stand, get a drink or get something to eat while they watch games or a concert,” Linville said. "Arenas keep coming up with new ways for teams to make money and create new ways for people to have a more enjoyable time if they have the money to spend.”

The most lavish addition is 11 bunker suites, many purchased by the Thunder organization’s founding partners. Bunker suites are private areas in the ground-level hallways. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban owns a $3 million bunker suite at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

"They won’t have a view of the floor but it’s a really nice room to meet before games and at halftime,” said Ford Center general manager Gary Desjardins.

Another feature is hydraulic systems being installed on the first few rows on both sides of the court and at both ends. Hydraulics will push seats below the floor, allowing Ford Center officials to easily reconfigure the arena from NBA games to Blazers hockey games and concerts.

This summer’s renovations are the second of three phases. Minor alterations were made before the Thunder’s inaugural season.

The final phase, in the summer of 2010, will use the remaining $54 million to add 300,000 square feet to the building. The biggest items next summer will be a new grand entrance on the southwest corner and even more space added to the Thunder’s locker room.

"After this phase, the Loud City fans will notice changes in addition to the new scoreboard and all the changes made at the club level,” Anderson said. "There’s only so much we accomplish this summer. It won’t be completely finished until the 2010-11 season.”

Ford Center changes

What’s coming for the 2009-10 season
→New $5.5 million scoreboard
→Electronic news gathering connections for TV and ESPN

→New LED video board ring around the arena

→Bunker suites (in the Ford Center hallways)

→Wider seats in lower courtside level sections

→New, much larger Thunder locker room

→48 loges (suite-like areas)

→New finishes on upper level concourse

→Remodeled suites (36 suites total, down from current 55)

→New control room on the top level for TV broadcasts and game presentation

→Renovated lobby

→New media room with cubicles, eliminating dark room

→Wider courtside seats on the first seven rows on each side

→New Thunder team store on the entry level

→Additional clubs for designated season ticket holders

→New NBA officials locker rooms

→IT control room

Video:
Inline Article Video Player (http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/player/bcpid4659235001?bctid=19087449001)

lamontesteve
04-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have renderings of the new practice facility?

metro
04-13-2009, 08:27 AM
I don't believe they've been released yet. They are currently at a temporary practice facility.

warreng88
04-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Ok, someone make sure I am correct on this: 1) Bunker Suites are basically really nice meeting rooms built into the FC with no view of the court, but a lot of amenities and 2) Loge boxes are smaller suites. Is that about right?

metro
04-13-2009, 09:06 AM
That's my understanding of it. Also my understanding is that Loge boxes are on the first level, slightly sunken or "depressed" with less amenities, similar to a baseball dugout.For a good example of both, go to the new Dallas Cowboys stadium website, they had some nice videos of Loge boxes and Bunker Suites. Often, Bunker Suites are in the hallways where the players come out, etc. so they can see the players behind the scenes.

Richard at Remax
04-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Above section 114ish it looked like they were starting to build one of those loge boxes, but could be wrong.

SouthsideSooner
04-13-2009, 09:30 AM
The Loge Boxes will be behind the goals on the club level. Here's a description from an article in Newsok.com....

The most significant addition is 48 loge boxes, four- and six-seat areas on both ends in the club sections.

"Loge seating is the new thing,” said Tim Linville, director of Ford Center marketing and sales. "They’ll have a table in the front and back and wide seats on swivel casters. It feels like a suite. You just don’t have a big walking area with all the furniture. It fills a niche between regular seats and a suite.”

Loge boxes include year-round entertainment. For the same price as an eighth row Thunder courtside level season ticket, loge boxes — at prices of $12,375 per seat (in six-seat boxes) or $14,045 per seat (in four-seats boxes) — include tickets to most major concerts, family shows and all Thunder games.

Because of the loge boxes, Ford Center capacity for NBA games will be reduced to around 18,600 compared to this season’s 19,136-seat configuration.

http://newsok.com/ford-center-getting-a-facelift/article/3360312?custom_click=pod_lead_sports

This is a generic picture of Loge Boxes...

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww210/quickersooner/514772.jpg

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Realize this is a nitpick, but I note the article states that the new $5M scoreboard will include video with "HD-like" capabilities...which tells me is isn't going to be natively HD...I know OU's new video board is not "full" HD (and they opted not to go full HD due to cost issues), but it still looks great; was thinking by now that the cost savings between an "almost"-HD board and a "true" HD board were really shrinking by now....anyone have any other info on this? Like I said, admittedly a nitpick, but curious nonetheless..

bluedogok
04-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Not for that size of board, it is a completely different technology than a conventional LCD, plasma, DLP and the costs for those systems have been driven down at the rate that the more common systems have.

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Not for that size of board, it is a completely different technology than a conventional LCD, plasma, DLP and the costs for those systems have been driven down at the rate that the more common systems have.

Is it not LED-based?

bluedogok
04-13-2009, 02:23 PM
It has LED elements, but the electronics that drive them and their cost is the issue. At the distance that most are watching from and the overall screen size it would be hard to tell the difference between "near HD" and "true HD".

Richard at Remax
04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
If you want true HD just watch the game instead of the videoboard :bright_id

BDP
04-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I think the Loge boxes will be awesome for concerts, if you can score one.

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 02:56 PM
If you want true HD just watch the game instead of the videoboard :bright_id

Hey, I said up front that I recognized it was a nitpick...just a curiosity. :)

Richard at Remax
04-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh i know, I wasn't coming after you or anything. I do know that anything is better than that scoreboard they have there now.