View Full Version : Things you want Steve Lackmeyer to do an update on

Pages : [1] 2

metro
03-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Okay, so with a slow message board and a slow news cycle here lately, I thought I'd create a thread of things we'd like to see Steve Lackmeyer do updates on. I'd love to see a new column in the business section featuring a weekly update of major downtown/MidTown/inner city construction projects. Heck, it might even inspire a much needed boost of confidence to locals letting them know things are still progressing and the sky isn't falling, etc. I know we have pretty recent information on all these projects but I'd like to see more in depth information.

A few that come to mind are:

1.) Asian District Streetscaping/ area projects including Lotus Plaza and Sun Moon Plaza as well as the new Asian Plaza that is going up.

2.) Legacy Arts retail update and possibly why Henderson was allowed to bail out on an unfinished OCURA project after he was given several years of delays and watered down the bid that got him the project.

3.) Maywood Lofts/Leslie - brief status update

4.) Devon Update- (not much to report, but everyone is always interested in rehashing old news).

5.) First National Update - I know he wrote about the liens in today's paper, but I'd like to see much more in depth about what improvements they have done, where they are at with current improvements and what is planned. That new "north" entrance seems to be coming along way behind schedule.

6.) The Hill Update - more info on what Canfield is doing to secure financing.

7.) Humphrey's Farris Wheel/ Downtown Airpark project

8.) Bert Belanger's proposed development

9.) Where Steve Mason is at on developing the rest of NW 9th near Broadway.

10.) Update on Mickey Clagg/Bob Howard and their "Midtown Renaissance". Especially the building on 10th and Robinson as it is shaping up. What are they doing to attract retailers, etc.

These are just a few projects to get the ball rolling, I'm sure I'll think of plenty more, even though I know more info than has been disclosed on many of these projects. I know I'd like to know more and I'm sure many of you would to. Keep the fire burning during this slow news season Steve!!

Steve
03-03-2009, 09:07 AM
1.) Asian District Streetscaping/ area projects including Lotus Plaza and Sun Moon Plaza as well as the new Asian Plaza that is going up.
- In the works for later this month.

2.) Legacy Arts retail update and possibly why Henderson was allowed to bail out on an unfinished OCURA project after he was given several years of delays and watered down the bid that got him the project.
- This horse has been beaten and is dead. Story was written.

4.) Devon Update- (not much to report, but everyone is always interested in rehashing old news).

5.) First National Update - I know he wrote about the liens in today's paper, but I'd like to see much more in depth about what improvements they have done, where they are at with current improvements and what is planned. That new "north" entrance seems to be coming along way behind schedule.

- Did an update three weeks ago. Nothing new to report.

- Expect something this next month or so.

- Which one?

- Monitoring.

10.) Update on Mickey Clagg/Bob Howard and their "Midtown Renaissance". Especially the building on 10th and Robinson as it is shaping up. What are they doing to attract retailers, etc.
- Did an update early last month. Will check in with them soon.

FYI - This is anything but a slow news season. And realize my coverage responsibilities now also include technology and some retail and general business news. That said, don't ever shy away from suggesting story ideas or asking questions about what's up.
Now Metro, do me a favor and convince the haters in the newspaper thread that I'm still relevant, ok?
;)

Karried
03-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Our board isn't slow.... everyone is just too busy bashing Obama to think about anything else..

Thanks Steve...

metro
03-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Steve,

2.) Would like to see more information than what was reported and pressure put on OCURA as to why they allow. I also didn't see anything in your article as to the severe delay or failure of retail projects there. What is the status of Catfish & Steak, Dry Cleaners, Wine/Tapas Bar, etc. Or if these have all failed, why and what is Legacy Arts marketing plan, etc.

6.) What is Canfield doing to get more aggressive in marketing his property (again delayed/failed OCURA project). Would like to see more spotlight on OCURA on what they are doing to help this along. Didn't see anything about that in the article.

8.) Any/All of Belangers projects, especially along Broadway around 13th.

10.) Would like to see more in depth on what Howard/Clagg are up do than was reported. What is their new marketing strategy now Banta is gone?

Heck, I'd even settle if someone else had to cover some of these stories just to get updates since you're also busy with Main Street, OKC Central video, and technology/retail.

Steve
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Quick answers because I've got to run...

2.) Would like to see more information than what was reported and pressure put on OCURA as to why they allow. I also didn't see anything in your article as to the severe delay or failure of retail projects there. What is the status of Catfish & Steak, Dry Cleaners, Wine/Tapas Bar, etc. Or if these have all failed, why and what is Legacy Arts marketing plan, etc.
- Not sure that Urban Renewal has any say on leasing activity for a project once it's done. Not the answer you might want, but it is what it is. I keep hearing most of the retail in that stretch is still going forward, just very slowly for whatever reason. The convenience store is likely going to open after Hobby's.

6.) What is Canfield doing to get more aggressive in marketing his property (again delayed/failed OCURA project). Would like to see more spotlight on OCURA on what they are doing to help this along. Didn't see anything about that in the article.
- Will monitor.

8.) Any/All of Belangers projects, especially along Broadway around 13th.

10.) Would like to see more in depth on what Howard/Clagg are up do than was reported. What is their new marketing strategy now Banta is gone?
- So far they're not willing to say a lot. But I'll keep asking.

Heck, I'd even settle if someone else had to cover some of these stories just to get updates since you're also busy with Main Street, OKC Central video, and technology/retail.
- Good luck with that.

BDP
03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
do me a favor and convince the haters in the newspaper thread that I'm still relevant

You're still relevant. You have a blog. ; )

okclee
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Our board isn't slow.... everyone is just too busy bashing Obama to think about anything else..

Thanks Steve...

So True.

Thanks Steve you do a great job, in the paper and your blog. Now if you would only Twitter.

Steve
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm twittering! I surrendered!

ssandedoc
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Steve:

Status of that piano bar next to Toby Keith's please!

Steve
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
If it's on life support, it's in a vegetative state. I talked to Randy Hogan a few weeks ago and he said he's pretty much done building for right now and is happy to be 100 percent leased. I'm also hearing, however, that we might see other improvements in Lower Bricktown.

fromdust
03-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Thanks Steve...

haha! it went from bashing bush to obama. oh no!

alan
03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Now Metro, do me a favor and convince the haters in the newspaper thread that I'm still relevant, ok?
;)

Steve is definitely one of the only reporters in town who i always make sure to read.

metro
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM

Thanks Steve...

No offense but it's slow. I'm having to dig deep just to put new thread on this site. Not much new construction is going on, heck look at how few threads get discussed anymore besides Obama thread or Memories threads. It is a slow news cycle in my opinion.

Steve
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Well then, go out, live life and make some news!

metro
03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Steve, that's not a diss, just reality from looking at these boards daily. Not a lot of activity, I don't think it's a surprise. You know it's slow when the feature story on the front page of NewsOK is featuring Cowboys basketball when they suck this year and OU is on top. Cowboy basketball doesn't sell many papers I'm willing to bet.

Working on a few projects that will get some press. If someone wants to back me financially, I can think of a lot more projects to get off the ground....

Steve
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Looking forward to it!

the_Mont
03-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Steve, what's your Twitter username?

Steve
03-04-2009, 03:12 PM
stevelackmeyer@twitter.com

onthestrip
03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Slow news period? Maybe. If there is any proof of slow times it is evidenced by the annoying -fill in blank- memories posts that keep staying at the top.

And you cant say the Pokes suck. Three weeks ago they did but not anymore. They are finally headed back to the tourney.

OKCisOK4me
03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Steve, that's not a diss, just reality from looking at these boards daily. Not a lot of activity, I don't think it's a surprise. You know it's slow when the feature story on the front page of NewsOK is featuring Cowboys basketball when they suck this year and OU is on top. Cowboy basketball doesn't sell many papers I'm willing to bet.

Working on a few projects that will get some press. If someone wants to back me financially, I can think of a lot more projects to get off the ground....

Metro & Steve, this is not a diss but, the Daily Oklahoman sucks!!! And yes, this is from a Cowboys fan. Cowboy basketball is pretty decent and better than a lot of our fans thought they would with first year Coach Ford (he's done a lot better than Capel did in his first year at uo (that's right, university of oklahoma)) so think twice before you open your mouth.

Secondly, again, the Oklahoman sucks because they don't report on oSu in the first place because the paper is owned by uo media propagandists. And Jenni Carlson is a &^#)@. The reason you see so many newspaper stands passing out free DO's is because they can't make money off of oSu fans and sooner fans won't pay 50 cents for a daily newspaper!

Free online editions rock!

Generals64
03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Slow news period? Maybe. If there is any proof of slow times it is evidenced by the annoying -fill in blank- memories posts that keep staying at the top.

And you cant say the Pokes suck. Three weeks ago they did but not anymore. They are finally headed back to the tourney.
================================================== ===========
Hey, show some interest and some class. We enjoy this forum like everyone else...we're just a little more dedicated to the forum than others.

Spartan
03-04-2009, 09:32 PM
No offense but it's slow. I'm having to dig deep just to put new thread on this site. Not much new construction is going on, heck look at how few threads get discussed anymore besides Obama thread or Memories threads. It is a slow news cycle in my opinion.

What about your secret sources?

warreng88
03-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I would like to know about the development along Broadway between Park Place and 12th where those half-way houses and the old nursing home was torn down. Also, would like to get an update on Banta individually and his involvement in the renovation of the Tower Theatre.

metro
03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
warren, that's the Belanger development I mentioned above, but yes I too would like to Steve do an article on it. Basically I hear he's waiting on the train noise/quiet zone issue to be dealt with before announcing it, but supposively he has financing in place ready to go.

Banta - agreed.

warreng88
03-05-2009, 09:09 AM
warren, that's the Belanger development I mentioned above, but yes I too would like to Steve do an article on it. Basically I hear he's waiting on the train noise/quiet zone issue to be dealt with before announcing it, but supposively he has financing in place ready to go.

Banta - agreed.

Ah, ok. I couldn't remember who the developer was so thanks for letting me know. I remember Steve had a blog about it, but it was about 4-6 months ago and I didn't want to have to go back and find it.

mecarr
03-05-2009, 09:59 AM

No kidding. I'm getting tired of seeing the some old "memories of this" and "memories of that" threads. Come on guys, this is about looking forward, not wallowing in the nostalgia of yester year. Maybe there should be a forum just for people to trade memories.

okclee
03-05-2009, 10:13 AM
^^ Haha, I thought I was the only one that doesn't like the "stroll down memory lane" type of posts. I don't read them either so they really don't bother me that much, but it does surprise me how popular that they are. "The Good OLD Days".

Pete
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
We are in the process of reorganizing the forums and there will be a separate one specifically for nostalgia and memories.

Please get off this subject now and if you have any questions or concerns, you can always contact me or one of the moderators directly.

bornhere
03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I'd like someone at the Oklahoman to do an extensive piece on what's happening - or not happening - on the Paseo. I don't know if that falls within Steve's beat.

jbrown84
03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
What do you mean, what's happening on the Paseo?

Steve
03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Paseo is something on the fringe of what I cover, but I'll add to items of interest. Meanwhile it sounds like this list is just about wrapping up. Metro, thanks for being a subscriber.

metro
03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Film Row projects and streetscaping, how School of Rock is shaping up and what's going on behind scenes are two more items that come to interest. I also notice MidTown Renaissance is putting a couple properties up as "residential" over on Francis and 12th.....

metro
03-19-2009, 07:56 AM
* Where the City is at on the Film Row streetscaping project that was supposed to start last year

warreng88
04-10-2009, 01:15 PM
One more thought and I will leave this alone. Steve, have you ever talked to Robert Meinders about all the property that he owns and his plans for it? Was his original intent to buy it and re-lease it for a profit or develop it into something bigger?

Steve
04-10-2009, 06:23 PM
just visited with Robert the other day...

warreng88
04-10-2009, 08:47 PM
just visited with Robert the other day...

And? Are you going to do a blog on him or an article?

wsucougz
04-11-2009, 01:53 PM
The tech collaborative in Midtown. I'm surprised the Oklahoman hasn't run a story on this already. It's groundbreaking stuff, particularly for Oklahoma City.

kevinpate
04-12-2009, 06:31 AM
I don't recall if Steve wrote it or someone else, but back when Meinders acquired that very significant amount of BT's east side, there was an article or two about plans for a solid mixture of retail and residential.

wsucougz
04-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't recall if Steve wrote it or someone else, but back when Meinders acquired that very significant amount of BT's east side, there was an article or two about plans for a solid mixture of retail and residential.

I believe it was called "The Steelyard."

Steve
04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
OK, here's the deal. I'll get to work on every item on this list and will do my best to have at least three a week over the next month. In return though, I'd appreciate everyone who has added to this list to drop old perceptions of The Oklahoman and make it a point to pick up a copy of the paper daily for two weeks so you can see my coverage of these topics you're interested in!
-Steve

The list:

4.) Devon Update- done two weeks ago

- The tech collaborative in Midtown
- Where the City is at on the Film Row streetscaping project that was supposed to start last year (story update done two weeks ago)
- Robert Meinders about all the property that he owns and his plans for it?
- an extensive piece on what's happening - or not happening - on the Paseo

- development along Broadway between Park Place and 12th where those half-way houses and the old nursing home was torn down. Also, would like to get an update on Banta individually and his involvement in the renovation of the Tower Theatre.

PLANSIT
04-13-2009, 08:22 AM
That seems fair. Looking forward to reading about them in the print edition.

metro
04-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Yes Meinders project was the Steelyard and is on indefinite hold. I'll be surprised if he develops it. We'll see what Steve has to say in his upcoming article.

Steve
04-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Metro, since you started all this, I'm sure you're up for my challenge as well, right?

metro
04-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Steve,

Not going to buy the daily, I'm sorry. You know I support you. I will however commit in exchange buying the next 4 weeks of the Sunday Oklahoman and considering getting a weekend subscription.

lasomeday
04-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Steve,

Can you tell us what stores are going in at Classen Curve? There has been no news on this at all.

Steve
04-13-2009, 11:05 AM
That's actually on the list that wasn't assembled by Metro.

Steve
04-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Done. View my latest OKC Central show at www.okccentral.com. Two more to go this week.

OKCisOK4me
04-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Steve,

Not going to buy the daily, I'm sorry. You know I support you. I will however commit in exchange buying the next 4 weeks of the Sunday Oklahoman and considering getting a weekend subscription.

If I had a choice between living life with a subscription to the Oklahoman or living the rest of my life in the depths of hell, I choose hell. But I'm not against going to newsok.com to get the free stuff..hahaha

solitude
04-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Hey Steve, what about an in-depth look at the mysterious OCURA? Look at each member with their profile, connections, and such. You do that and you will have really earned my respect. But some things in Oklahoma City are untouchable. The good old boys downtown club is one of them. Instead of just mentioning that there are crazies on the web with conspiracy theories about OCURA, why not an investigative story about the Authority and tell the citizens of OKC what OCURA is all about and maybe press them on their near invisibility, and how that compares with other cities (http://www.denvergov.org/DURA). There's plenty for a good investigative piece. Steve? Uh, hello? Steve?

Steve
04-14-2009, 08:05 AM
It's not that that OCURA is untouchable. I touch them all the time. People like OKCisOK4ME probably has no idea what I have or have not written. But over the years I've written several unflattering pieces that addressed whether they are sufficiently open with their information (not having a web site showing their available properties, posting of agendas), whether they stacked the deck for one developer and against another in regard to development of the old Mercy hospital site, the long delays on Mike Henderson, how submitted designs compared to actual project completions, and so forth.
And I believe Jack Money and I did the exhaustive historic investigative piece with our book, "OKC Second Time Around."
But here's the thing, Solitude: how many urban renewal meetings have you attended? They are open. How many meeting minutes have you reviewed? They are available.
In terms of "mentioning that there are crazies on the web ..," yes, I wrote that. And that column provoked a long thread discussion. I now have more liberty to discuss such things in this open forum than I did at the time. And at the time, I had to answer you and others privately in regard to that column.
So to set the record straight: www.okctalk.com is a good reflection of the "real" community you would find on the streets. By that I mean there are very accomplished, smart and creative people, folks who are involved, posting and reading this forum. And there also some nut jobs. Sorry, that's to be found in the "real community" too. There is no city, no town, no community without that mix. It's real life, but when it's restricted to words posted online, you have to go through all this with an extra filter to understand where people are coming from. That was my point. I'm sticking with it.
Solitude, I seriously doubt you believe EVERYONE on this forum is perfectly sane. I seriously doubt Pete does either, especially now that's he has had to play the father figure on this site.
There are legitimate criticisms and concerns, and then there are conspiracy theories. My job is to not get caught up in the conspiracies and use my best judgment to report what is really going on.
You might not like my judgment, and I've always welcome questions and criticisms of it. But at least I try to explain what I'm doing and how I've come up with the stories I do.
One final bit: I have to wonder if the very concerns you have about Urban Renewal are tied at all to what appears to be an apathy toward the very same agency. I can recall several times when I've written about an upcoming vote that could be controversial, and I gave the meeting place and time for the meeting.
The chairs lined up for the public to attend have rarely if ever been filled during my watch.
Now, one final comment: if you don't read or like The Oklahoman, that's your perogative. But how can you expect anything from a news organization you refuse to support?

metro
04-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey Steve, what about an in-depth look at the mysterious OCURA? Look at each member with their profile, connections, and such. You do that and you will have really earned my respect. But some things in Oklahoma City are untouchable. The good old boys downtown club is one of them. Instead of just mentioning that there are crazies on the web with conspiracy theories about OCURA, why not an investigative story about the Authority and tell the citizens of OKC what OCURA is all about and maybe press them on their near invisibility, and how that compares with other cities (http://www.denvergov.org/DURA). There's plenty for a good investigative piece. Steve? Uh, hello? Steve?

Agreed, it'd be stuff like this that would cause me to buy a daily subscription. They are touchable, it's just no one has the cajones to get in their real deep and expose them more. Maybe Steve does, but can't because of who his employer is. I really thought he was somewhere on his last article of OCURA, before the "web crazies" comment. I'm sure he didnt want to but pressure was put on him if you know what I mean..

Steve, keep in mind to your response:

How good of a job does OCURA do in being proactive about posting their meeting times, agenda's and minutes.
How much advance notice do they make to the public?
Why don't they have a website in this modern era?
How often do they change their meeting time/location?
How often do they have closed session meetings?
Why doesn't the City Council suggest more transparency?

This is the job of them as appointed officials, NOT the job of private citizens. Seems like the only way I've EVER heard of their meetings are either through you or the day of the meeting they have a one line small text buried in the business section of the Oklahoman.

BG918
04-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Does going to newsok.com multiple times a day on my iphone count?

Steve
04-14-2009, 08:19 AM
I've never been censored or discouraged in any way on coverage on urban renewal.
The "crazies" column came out of my own head, and nobody else's.

Finally...
How good of a job does OCURA do in being proactive about posting their meeting times, agenda's and minutes.
- I wrote about this. Metro, you might want to subscribe.
- two days, as required by law.
- Location? Never. Wait - once, for the Devon Tower designs being unveiled. Time, often, due to quorum problems.
- Never. They've closed items pertaining to lawsuits and personel matters (nothing recently) just as does the city council.
- I don't know.

metro
04-14-2009, 08:22 AM
apologies

metro
04-14-2009, 08:22 AM
Way say you in regards to:

Steve, keep in mind to your response:

This is the job of them as appointed officials, NOT the job of private citizens. Seems like the only way I've EVER heard of their meetings are either through you or the day of the meeting they have a one line small text buried in the business section of the Oklahoman.

Steve
04-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Metro, I edited while you posted the past two posts. I think I've addressed your questions.

metro
04-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Keep in mind, my responses aren't directed at you Steve as much as they are JOKURA, I mean OCURA aka Urban Renewal.

Finally...

Read that article, still feel more light can be exposed, feel it is still job of elected officials, city council, and local media to be more proactive to bring transparency. A few articles not enough to warrant a subscription. I usually hit a few links online since that is where you generate revenue online. I also occasionally pick up a daily at a newstand if I know there is a good article in there (usually yours). I also pick up the Sunday on occasion. As you should know, I read the paper online daily and probably bring more Oklahoman articles to attention than anyone else on this site.

- two days, as required by law.
Rarely seen this, usually I see it only the day before in the Oklahoman. Never have seen it anywhere else. As a citizen interested in OCURA, I would like to see them more proactive, transparent and vocal. This is clearly not just my concern as numerous people on this site and elsewhere have voiced same concern. The Oklahoman shouldn't be the only way I can find out about a PUBLIC AGENCY's meeting. Again, why do they do the MINIMUM REQUIRED??

Read it, not a good exuse by OCURA in my opinion. Not that they are concerned with that.

- Location? Never. Wait - once, for the Devon Tower designs being unveiled. Time, often, due to quorum problems.

Will take your word as they often give the MINIMUM NOTICE and usually too late to attend a meeting. Not to mention their less than stellar reputation for changing meeting times on a whim. I've tried to attend several and this happened. I also do remember them changing venues for the "Hill" proposal. Ironic they held it over on Canfields turf don't you think? Canfield = got the winning bid for "The Hill" that ironically is not Bricktown

- Never. They've closed items pertaining to lawsuits and personel matters (nothing recently) just as does the city council.

Fair enough, but would like to know more about the lawsuits. Question, doesn't Oklahoma Open Records Act require them to disclose this info if one asked anyways?

- I don't know.

That's the million dollar question, the council is pretty good for the most part, but could use some aggressiveness and proactiveness in numerous areas.

Steve
04-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Does going to newsok.com multiple times a day on my iphone count?

Yep! By doing so you're supporting The Oklahoman and NewsOK. Thanks, and I hope I'm providing something worth reading.

Midtowner
04-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Metro, information pertaining to lawsuits is mostly going to be covered by attorney-client privilege and is an exception to the Open Records Act.

OSCN Found Document:Open and Confidential Records (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=80292)

Steve
04-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Metro, on the Hill selection. For a two-year period I was assigned to doing statewide investigations and was off the downtown beat. Much of the Hill selection process was covered by another reporter. I will not comment on that matter other to say I too wanted to read more about it and was frustrated by the drop in coverage of Urban Renewal and downtown development. And that's when I pitched putting together the beat I have now.
You are correct Metro - you bring a lot of attention toward stories in The Oklahoman. And they are reposted, with permission, on this site. But as are a lot of people in my profession, I'm uncertain on whether that helps or hurts us. Obviously, I'd rather see people subscribing on a daily basis. And in this day and age, I'm not going to worry about whether I'll get in trouble for saying so. I believe a healthy press, even with flaws (and believe me, there are flaws with every newspaper), is better than having to rely on a television infotainment industry that is more interested in delivering news about Octomom than the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority.