View Full Version : Flaming Lips song named state rock song

donbroncho
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Thought you all might get a kick out of this: http://www.newsok.com/flaming-lips-do-you-realize-named-state-rock-song/article/3349826?custom_click=lead_story_title

venture
03-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Maybe this will help get the economy going again. Great use of time.

TaoMaas
03-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Maybe this will help get the economy going again. Thanks, venture. My first chuckle of the day. lol

metro
03-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Anyone notice how OG&E is using one of their songs and featuring Wayne in a commercial?

bluedogok
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Wouldn't She Don't Use Jelly be more appropriate considering it's the gov't?

MadMonk
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't understand why they chose that song. It's an okay song, but it really has nothing to do with Oklahoma, other than the band that sings it. It's "state rock song", not "state rock band".

soonerguru
03-03-2009, 11:50 AM
"They" did not choose the song. It was one of many songs voted for online by people who signed up and voted for it. It was democratically voted for by people like you and me. "They" had nothing to do with it.

MadMonk
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
"They" did not choose the song. It was one of many songs voted for online by people who signed up and voted for it. It was democratically voted for by people like you and me. "They" had nothing to do with it.
I don't care if it was voted on or decreed by some official or group. It's still a bad choice, IMHO.

shane453
03-03-2009, 04:12 PM
It represents the Oklahoman spirit of self-reliance, love for the people around you, and optimism. I believe many of the Flaming Lips songs represent Oklahoman values.

"And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round"

MadMonk
03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
It represents the Oklahoman spirit of self-reliance, love for the people around you, and optimism.

Okay, sure it does.

soonerguru
03-03-2009, 11:58 PM
It represents the Oklahoman spirit of self-reliance, love for the people around you, and optimism.

Well said.

jbrown84
03-05-2009, 03:09 PM
What good rock song is actually ABOUT Oklahoma, MadMonk?

OKCMallen
03-05-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't care if it was voted on or decreed by some official or group. It's still a bad choice, IMHO.

Nothing humble about your opinion, MMonk.

Caboose
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
It represents the Oklahoman spirit of self-reliance, love for the people around you, and optimism. I believe many of the Flaming Lips songs represent Oklahoman values.

Is that even a rock song?

Terrible lyrics, by the way.

Karried
03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
dm6qw_yeo6o

I wanted 'Never Been to Spain'

But I'm okay with the Flaming Lips getting credit for a state song.

YouTube - Three Dog Night - Never Been To Spain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6qw_yeo6o)

MadMonk
03-05-2009, 04:40 PM
What good rock song is actually ABOUT Oklahoma, MadMonk?
That's a good point, but nobody said it had to be good. And good is such a subjective concept anyway. Apparently though it doesn't even have to have anything to do with Oklahoma. A jumble of lyric with a vague feel-good message that could be applied to any state or state of mind will do. I don't think anybody outside of those who are Oklahoma fans of the Flaming Lips will ever remember this as the state rock song.

I'm not all "up in arms" over it, it just seems like a strange choice.

Nothing humble about your opinion, MMonk.
In your humble opinion of course. ;)

kevinpate
03-05-2009, 06:47 PM
> I don't care if it was voted on or decreed by
> some official or group. It's still a bad choice, IMHO.

Well gollikers. Oklahomans went to the song polls, cast their votes and made a bad choice.
I don't know if the song is reflective of Oklahoma, but sure sounds like the selection process results are as classic Oklahoma as one can find.
8^)

BDP
04-23-2009, 02:49 PM
The House just denied "Do You Realize" from becoming the state rock song, because of a t-shirt:

http://www.newsok.com/article/3363875

soonerguru
04-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I try to defend this state -- and promote it -- to outsiders. But it really is very backward, and probably always will be. I can imagine a few people voting against it, but 39?

The state GOP is insane.

kmf563
04-23-2009, 03:04 PM
It really is ridiculous. We, as the people from this state, voted in favor of this song. They represent us...so where is the problem? Why let us vote for something if you aren't going to listen?

Centerback
04-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Not so much the tshirt as the meaning behind the tshirt BDP.

OKCMallen
04-23-2009, 03:21 PM
Embarrassing.

wsucougz
04-23-2009, 03:21 PM
The House just denied "Do You Realize" from becoming the state rock song, because of a t-shirt:

http://www.newsok.com/article/3363875

What a bunch of d-bags. It's better for the Lips, anyway. They were getting a little too much pub from the local political establishment, which gets old after awhile, not unlike too much of anything.

MadMonk
04-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Like someone wrote on the newsok site, would you support them if they were wearing swaztikas? Symbols have meaning. They disagreed with that meaning and voted it down. Good for them.

BDP
04-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Not so much the tshirt as the meaning behind the tshirt BDP.

Oh, thanks, I thought it was a fashion issue... :rolleyes:

kevinpate
04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
bad for the lips and their fans and the state, great for the stand ups. Gotta love the 4th floor, always providing new material

soonerguru
04-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Actually, this is not bad for the Lips, but it's very bad for the state. There are a lot of people in economic development working very hard to keep young people here, and promote the state a forward-moving, progressive place to do business. Few outside Oklahoma actually believe this, and they are certainly unaware of all we have to offer here. There are people here who are actively working against the state progressing. It's sickening and very disheartening. This is exactly the kind of stuff -- just like the Ten Commandments tribute -- that I predicted we would see last fall when the GOP took over the legislature. Anti-gay, anti-science, anti-progress, anti-intellectual, anti-art. That's Oklahoma's representation. And, they are defunding the state with tax cuts, so we can look forward to more underfunded higher education, common education, etc. This is a recipe for economic disaster.

kmf563
04-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Like someone wrote on the newsok site, would you support them if they were wearing swaztikas? Symbols have meaning. They disagreed with that meaning and voted it down. Good for them.

What a crock of bull butter. We are not voting on their fashion sense or their choice of language...we are voting on a rock song from a band that has impacted the rest of the world with their music and happens to be from this little Republican prude state! My gosh people, get your head out of your own existentialistic world and realize it isn't about what you personally would choose or not...you have to give credit due to what they have accomplished and that millions...MILLIONS...of fans around the world love them! I find it ironic also that they happen to be very political and community involved and get told by the people they voted in that they are not good enough. Well maybe I don't approve of the things you said about their lips being on fire. That offends me and you should never want someone to be on fire. I think we should veto your state seat. :numchucks

BDP
04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Well, maybe we should just choose a song from one of the state's most revered song writers, Woody Guthrie...

...oh wait. Nevermind. ; )

OKCMallen
04-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, maybe we should just choose a song from one of the state's most revered song writers, Woody Guthrie...

...oh wait. Nevermind. ; )

Ha. I see what you did there.

jbrown84
04-23-2009, 04:19 PM
I have a feeling Joe Bob Holland in Marlow wouldn't know any better on that one, BDP.

soonerguru
04-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Who's the Reynolds nitwit from OKC? What area of town does he represent?

windowphobe
04-23-2009, 05:02 PM
District 91: southwest OKC, roughly Penn to I-44 from I-240 to 89th, and Western to I-44 from I-240 to 164th. There's also a small section to the east of Western.

Steve
04-23-2009, 05:08 PM
George Lang has the latest on his blog: Flaming Lips Denied Oklahoma Rock Song in House Vote, But Then ZAIREEKA! (http://blog.newsok.com/staticblog/2009/04/23/flaming-lips-denied-oklahoma-rock-song-in-house-vote/)

soonerguru
04-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Good for Brad Henry! He needs to really rub this in their faces now. He should have the band over for a concert and invite the House members! What a bunch of toothless morons.

jbrown84
04-23-2009, 05:29 PM
I've never liked Henry more than right now...

dismayed
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
I really hate our politicians. The things they say... sometimes I think they must live the most sheltered, small town lives that anyone possibly could.

dismayed
04-23-2009, 06:11 PM
The more I think about this the angrier I get.

Do our politicians not realize that the Lips could live anywhere they want, yet they still live in OKC? Not only that, they live in a high crime uptown area. They are revitalizing that area by slowly buying up houses in the neighborhood.

In addition to that, they are not embarrassed to say they are from OKC. I can think of at least three articles, including big names like the New York Times and USA Today, where Wayne Coyne granted an interview from his Oklahoma house and did nothing but try to paint his home state in a good light.

Coyne is the ultimate OKC ambassador. I find it sickening beyond belief that OKC Rep. Mike Reynolds, 405-557-7337, would do everything he could to ensure that their song was not named the state rock song.

Here is how everyone in the House voted on the Resolution to adopt the song as the state rock song. I plan on giving a few of these folks a piece of my mind.

OKLAHOMA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Fifty-Second Legislature
First Regular Session

SENATE JOINT RES 24 Recognize "Do You Realize?" as the official Oklahoma
Dorman State Rock and Roll Song Emergency

THIRD READING FAILED

YEAS: 48 RCS# 1159
NAYS: 39 4/23/2009
EXC : 14 2:20 PM
C/P : 0

YEAS: 48

Auffet Harrison McDaniel, J. Scott
Bailey Hilliard McDaniel, R. Sherrer
Brannon Inman McMullen Shoemake
Brown Jackson McPeak Shumate
Buck Jett Morgan Smithson
Cannaday Jones Morrissette Steele
Carey Kiesel Pittman Thomsen
Christian Kirby Pruett Trebilcock
Collins Kouplen Renegar Walker
Dorman Lamons Roan Williams
Glenn Luttrell Rousselot Wright, H.
Hamilton McAffrey Sanders Mr. Speaker

NAYS: 39

Armes Hickman McCullough Peterson
Coody Holland McNiel Reynolds
Cooksey Johnson Miller Richardson
Dank Jordan Moore Schwartz
Denney Joyner Murphey Shannon
Derby Kern Nelson Tibbs
DeWitt Key Ortega Watson
Duncan Liebmann Osborn Wesselhoft
Enns Martin, Sc Ownbey Wright, J.
Faught Martin, St. Peters

EXCUSED: 14

Banz Fields Ritze Terrill
Billy Hoskin Sears Thompson
Blackwell Nations Shelton
Cox Proctor Sullivan

CONSTITUTIONAL PRIVILEGE: 0

soonerguru
04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm sure some of you live in that dimwit Reynolds's district.

soonerguru
04-23-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm just SHOCKED that Sally Kern voted against it. SHOCKED, I say.

okcpulse
04-23-2009, 07:12 PM
What a crock of bull butter. We are not voting on their fashion sense or their choice of language...we are voting on a rock song from a band that has impacted the rest of the world with their music and happens to be from this little Republican prude state! My gosh people, get your head out of your own existentialistic world and realize it isn't about what you personally would choose or not...you have to give credit due to what they have accomplished and that millions...MILLIONS...of fans around the world love them! I find it ironic also that they happen to be very political and community involved and get told by the people they voted in that they are not good enough. Well maybe I don't approve of the things you said about their lips being on fire. That offends me and you should never want someone to be on fire. I think we should veto your state seat. :numchucks

Which happened to be Democratic by dominance for over 70 years. And people, don't give me this bulls**t that Oklahoma Democrats are 'conservative'. Wrong. The basis of the Democratic party is expansion of government and government programs. Has nothing to do with today's major controversial issues. And Oklahoma's Democratic Party did just that... bloat up state government and increase taxes to cover that bloat during the oil bust.

High car tag fees, high income taxes, high sales taxes. That is what Oklahoma got through our economic crisis back in the 1980s. And that is why Oklahoma went Republican.

It is my hope that one day Oklahoma will become the first Independent party state in the nation. Hopefully then, you bandwagon politicos will get off your high horses.

Kudos to Oklahoma for recognizing its cultural treasures.

soonerguru
04-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Very proud of Governor Henry today, also for his veto of the stem-cell bill.

bornhere
04-23-2009, 08:21 PM
The hammer and sickle used to be the symbol of communism. Now it's the symbol of pissing off cranky old white guys who are always looking for something to get their silky panties in a twist about.

old okie
04-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm sure some of you live in that dimwit Reynolds's district.

Egad, yes! And "dimwit" is the nicest thing I could call him; the rest of the terms would violate rules of this site!! We've tried so hard for the last two elections to get that guy booted out...and each time, he's managed to squeak back in. The only good thing I can see is that he will be term-limited soon.........but not soon enough for my taste! This guy is an embarrassment to anyone with two gray cells that work. :ohno:

hipsterdoofus
04-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Personally I wish that the lawmakers would make better use of their time and our money than naming a state rock song or doing studies on how adding an exclamation mark after the word "Oklahoma" on our flag would improve tourism.

jbrown84
04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Very proud of Governor Henry today, also for his veto of the stem-cell bill.

He did more today than his entire time in office!

fuzzytoad
04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
the song sucked anyway

Steve
04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
For those interested, here are the song's lyrics. I've been to the Panhandle. I've been to Poteau. I've been to Durant, Tahlequah, Lawton, Enid, Muskogee, Alva, Tulsa, Langston, Choctaw and McAlester. I've met farmers, I've met urban pioneers. I've met conservatives, liberals, populists and anarchists (I think some of them were at Sauced when I last went there).
I can't for the life of me figure out how any of them would have a problem with the following lyrics of the song in question:

Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face
Do You Realize - we're floating in space -
Do You Realize - that happiness makes you cry
Do You Realize - that everyone you know someday will die

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

Do You Realize - Oh - Oh - Oh
Do You Realize - that everyone you know
Someday will die -

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face
Do You Realize

Karried
04-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Toby Keith..

We'll Put a Boot up your Ass, It's the American Way....

They would have voted for that one... you know they should have just said we didn't like the song but of course, they have to hop on their high moral horse.. omg.. a curse word!!!

I can almost guarantee that the knuckle dragger probably swears up a storm behind closed doors.

jbrown84
04-23-2009, 11:41 PM
Toby Keith is a potty mouth too. It's well publicized.

kevinpate
04-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Pleased that Henry's bubble is bigger and clearer than that of the 4th floor bobble heads

soonerguru
04-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Thank you Steve for bringing logic to the board. I've wondered the same, particularly when people use the canard that the song has nothing to do with Oklahoma. The vote was not for the "best song that talks about Oklahoma." The vote was for the best rock song. There are no better ambassadors to the state than the Flaming Lips. That know-nothing Reynolds will never in his lifetime do more for Oklahoma than the Flaming Lips. In fact, if he were given a bigger megaphone and given title as our spokesman, he would drive every thinking being away from here. I still say Gov. Henry should have the Lips over to the Governor's Mansion for a concert. That would rule.

TaoMaas
04-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Do our politicians not realize that the Lips could live anywhere they want, yet they still live in OKC? Not only that, they live in a high crime uptown area. They are revitalizing that area by slowly buying up houses in the neighborhood.

In addition to that, they are not embarrassed to say they are from OKC. I can think of at least three articles, including big names like the New York Times and USA Today, where Wayne Coyne granted an interview from his Oklahoma house and did nothing but try to paint his home state in a good light.

Coyne is the ultimate OKC ambassador.

I totally agree. I think the Lips are great Oklahoma citizens. They're activally working to make Oklahoma better and a more visible place. I think we are very lucky to have people and businesses who could very easily move to other locations, but who choose to stay here and promote Oklahoma.