View Full Version : $610

Thunder
02-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Brother received a letter from the IRS saying in about 3 weeks he will receive $610 stimulus check. Some of his friends had gotten the letter and one of them had already gotten the check.

Okay, I havent receive the letter. Anyone receive one? I have not heard about this stimulus check being sent out. No mention of it on here. Brother have hard evidence on paper.

Karried
02-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Did you already file your taxes?

Lauri101
02-28-2009, 11:06 AM
There's a lot of confusion over this, so here's the general rule.

IF you received a stimulus check last year, you will NOT be receiving another one this year.

If you didn't receive the full amount of stimulus check last year, you will get a credit on this year's taxes, which may increase your refund or decrease your liability.

People receiving stimulus checks this year are getting them because, for whatever reason, they did not qualify or get one in 2008.

And after you file a return, you may get a refund. You don't get a "return" back - unless you've done something wrong. I know that no one has said that in this thread, but I wanted to get my pet peeve over with for the season. Channel 9 had a story not long ago about people receiving "tax returns" back! grrr...:fighting2

Thunder
02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I've already file mine and brother's this year.

IRS did credit me and increase the refund amount because of partial stimulus payment I've gotten last year.

IRS increased my brother's refund by about $100. He did receive the full stimulus check last year, so it was odd that IRS increased his refund.

So, since he had gotten the full stimulus payment last year, why is he entitle to $610 coming to him in few weeks? I am not? Way to confusing!

Lauri101
02-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Dunno, Thunder - there are several "life events" that could change things, that's why I said "general rule"

Plus, since the IRS sends checks (refund, stimulus) based on self-reporting, maybe something was filled out incorrectly.

Try this:
Economic Stimulus Information (http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=177937,00.html)

Most taxpayers who received the economic stimulus payment last year will not qualify for the recovery rebate credit on their 2008 federal income tax return. However, some individuals who did not get the economic stimulus payment, and a smaller number of those who did, may be eligible for the recovery rebate credit. If you didn't get an economic stimulus payment in 2008, you may be eligible to receive the recovery rebate credit in 2009.

Plus lots more!

CCOKC
02-28-2009, 01:18 PM
On another note, the IRS released the new withholding rates from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 this week. The payroll I prepared yesterday for my clients were already affected by this new rates. If you work for an employer that has an accounting software that automatically updates the rates look for more money in your paycheck if you make less than 75000 single 150000 married. The IRS asks for employers to use the new tables as soon as possible but no later than April 1 If you or your employer calculates payroll by hand the new Circular E will be mailed soon. Lauri may have more info on that than I do on this.

Karried
02-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Crap, already? I just changed everything in Jan..ugh.

Thunder
02-28-2009, 03:53 PM
So, what happens to those of us that filed before the new policy.

Lauri101
02-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Thunder - you filed for 2008 - the new law is for 2009.

CCOKC - you know about as much as I do right now. We got a heads up that our paychecks will be larger in April, plus the folks in Taxpayer Assistance are being provided "talking points" on Monday.

Our agency moves with the speed of a giant turtle - no wait, make that snail... Management waits until the last minute to provide info but employees are expected to answer questions correctly.

Thunder
02-28-2009, 10:04 PM
What about Crest? Are they a part of the government or something? For one, there was no drug test, so how did they strike an agreement? Secondly, I wanted Direct Deposit, but it turns out that it will go into the card they issue instead of my own account. I'm just curious about the company since I am a part of it. I wonder what kind of tax credits they are getting to help lower the cost of everything. Crest is smaller than Walmart, but capable of having lower prices with smaller quanity in orders. Walmart is so huge, they can order so much bulk to lower the prices, but most is still too high. Anyone got any info on Crest?

Additionally, the new law or whatever the proper word for it, I'm not sure how that affect me.