View Full Version : Crest Fresh Market

Pages : [1] 2

SouthsideSooner
02-27-2009, 08:30 PM
This sign went up on the SW corner of 104th & S. May on Thursday. Are any of the other Crest's called Crest Fresh Market? Is this possibly a more upscale concept for Crest. This is in one of the more affluent areas of OKC, so it would be a good location to attempt something like that....

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww210/quickersooner/IMG_1262.jpg?t=1235791193

grantgeneral78
02-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Man I am glad there putting one closer to us.....We will shop there for sure.

Thunder
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
That is genius of them to add retail space within the store! It will bring in more revenue to the company when a business rent the space. Definately will help keep prices low.

FritterGirl
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Crest in Edmond (N. 150th / Santa Fe) has retail: a flower shop, a bank (Citizens' I think), and a "Bedlam Shop" where they sell OU/OSU and Thunder merch. I THINK there is also a cell phone service provider, but don't recall. I'm usually there in the evenings or on Sunday mornings, when the retail establishments are closed so don't pay attention to them.

grantgeneral78
02-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Crest in Edmond (N. 150th / Santa Fe) has retail: a flower shop, a bank (Citizens' I think), and a "Bedlam Shop" where they sell OU/OSU and Thunder merch. I THINK there is also a cell phone service provider, but don't recall. I'm usually there in the evenings or on Sunday mornings, when the retail establishments are closed so don't pay attention to them.

That Bedlam shop is owned by jason white.

SoonerQueen
03-02-2009, 12:24 AM
I wish we had a grocery store around 63rd and North May. I love Crest and wish they would build something close to us.

soonerguru
03-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I ventured into a Wal-Mart Supercenter late last night. Can't believe I did it. It confirmed everything I hate about that company. It took me an hour and a half to get out of that diseased hellhole. Then, on the way home, I realized I had forgotten something. So I stopped at the nearest Crest. In and out in 4 minutes. Literally. And the store was spotlessly clean and the help was friendly -- at Midnight. No more Wal-Mart. Ever.

metro
03-02-2009, 08:26 AM
So back to the original topic. No, I don't think any of the other Crest's are known as a "Fresh Market". I'm anxious to see if this is a new concept they are trying out that will be similar to an HEB.

bombermwc
03-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Definitely interesting to see what's different there. They've been pushing to bring the look of the stores up from where they were with all the remodeling. Maybe they got tired of their look being compared to their prices....cheap. LOL.

#2 in MWC has some retail, but it's not like the wally world super center type stuff like Edmond or like this new one. But they did build "Cherry Center" at the #2 location, which is owned by Crest even though it's not attached...it's just next door. It's a small strip center that is mostly office space rather then retail. Inside #2 there is the normal pharmacy, flower shop, and cell place. But they're all pretty small.

So to me it looks like they just decided to combine all their ideas they've had into a single facility from the start instead of adding them as they go, like they have at previous places.

SWOKC 4 me
06-10-2009, 10:55 PM
As I drove by today, I noticed that it looks like they have started moving dirt and clearing the property for this. I also noticed a billboard on I-44 that said opening Spring 2010!

Watson410
06-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Yeah almost all their stores have some sort of retail in them, besides the one on Reno/Air Depot. They really need to do something with that store. All the other Crest stores are just "Crest Foods" not "Crest Fresh Market". We do most all their plumbing work on EVERYTHING they own..Stores, Strip malls, houses, etc... so I'm in pretty good with the Owners (Nick and Cherry), I'll talk to them within the next week and see whats going to be different about the "Crest Fresh Market".

SouthsideSooner
06-11-2009, 07:49 AM
I've talked to the Crest people about this store and have been told that it will be more upscale than most of their stores with the Edmond store being the best comparison...

bunchakids
06-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I ventured into a Wal-Mart Supercenter late last night. Can't believe I did it. It confirmed everything I hate about that company. It took me an hour and a half to get out of that diseased hellhole. Then, on the way home, I realized I had forgotten something. So I stopped at the nearest Crest. In and out in 4 minutes. Literally. And the store was spotlessly clean and the help was friendly -- at Midnight. No more Wal-Mart. Ever.

totally agree, We have sworn off wal mart for a couple of years now and ONLY shop for groceries at crest.

andimthomas
06-11-2009, 12:53 PM
This is exciting. I hate traveling across the interstate to go to Crest.

SoonerDave
06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
That Spring 2010 sign may be optimistic; my first understanding was that they planned to start construction back in March, but land-purchase red tape delayed matters until now. The last time I talked to a manager @ Crest about it, they said construction was going to take right at a year, so opening by next March or thereabouts might be pushing things.

No matter. Glad to have them; they should be good neighbors, and we desperately need a grocery store as an alternative to Neighborhood WalSlum (which, incidentally, is remodeling, and will apparently end up with even *less* selection then they have now, which I didn't think was mathematically possible).

storybookmom
06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I am so excited about the new Crest Grocery Store on SW 104th & May. It will be so convenient! It is about time they build a new grocery store over here. Homeland is too expensive and Walmart is a nightmare. I look forward to the new store and I hope that they will build more retail over in this area. A Barnes & Noble would be nice in this area as well.:phone:

mark
06-12-2009, 04:09 PM
i can't wait till this crest opens. i live in mustang and we plan on going to crest for our weekly shopping trip. right now i walk around walmart muttering "i hate this f'n store"

linze
06-12-2009, 06:12 PM
I went to the Crest store on North Rockwell today and actually saw an artist's drawing of what the new store will look like. I should've took a picture. But from what I could tell it really looked "upscale" and if anyone is familiar with the Central Market's in Plano, Dallas, or Southlake, Texas. It really reminds me of that. In my opinion it will really look great and perfect for that area.

Thunder
06-12-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't think they should call it "Market". When I think of that word, the meaning to me comes as "small".

oneforone
06-17-2009, 05:06 PM
I drove buy there today and the earth work is in progress.

mireaux
06-17-2009, 05:19 PM
i heard that during the grand opening ribbon cutting ceremony there will be lots of balloons and a guy dressed up in a caricature stuffed costume resembling ole Nick Harroz himself.

mireaux
06-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Definitely interesting to see what's different there. They've been pushing to bring the look of the stores up from where they were with all the remodeling. Maybe they got tired of their look being compared to their prices....cheap. LOL.

#2 in MWC has some retail, but it's not like the wally world super center type stuff like Edmond or like this new one. But they did build "Cherry Center" at the #2 location, which is owned by Crest even though it's not attached...it's just next door. It's a small strip center that is mostly office space rather then retail. Inside #2 there is the normal pharmacy, flower shop, and cell place. But they're all pretty small.

So to me it looks like they just decided to combine all their ideas they've had into a single facility from the start instead of adding them as they go, like they have at previous places.

i hate the way the mwc store on douglas looks after they remodeled it a few years ago...looks like Old Navy inside there with the steel light pole at each cash register. I dont go in there anymore cause of that.

andimthomas
06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
At the Moore location, they had a row of black tinted windows running across the front of the building. About one or two years ago, they sealed up the windows. With white cement. It always bothers me because there isn't really a point to it. And it looks horrible.

Watson410
06-18-2009, 07:36 AM
i hate the way the mwc store on douglas looks after they remodeled it a few years ago...looks like Old Navy inside there with the steel light pole at each cash register. I dont go in there anymore cause of that.

LMAO!! Wow!! Sounds like a lame reason to not go to the grocery store...

kevinpate
06-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Just be glad there are grocers in town to go to and the choices are growing.
In one much bigger city elsewhere, you now:

- have to leave town to buy a Chrysler or a Jeep.
- Borders Inc. no longer exists in the city
- Starbucks Corp., famous for saturating U.S. cities has only four left in a city
of 900,000
- No national grocery chain operates a store in the city.

Any ills we may have in Oklahoma in general and OKC metro in particular pale in comparison to the 11th largest city - Detroit.

I doubt I'll be shopping as far north as 104th and may, but who knows, maybe grabbing something on the eve drive home will make sense. It's not that far off my path

possumfritter
06-18-2009, 10:54 AM
The Crest Stores are terrific...I love being able to go to the meat department and have a wide selection to choose from...plus the produce is fresher and cleaner than the Neighborhood Wal-Mart directly across the street (Hefner and Rockwell).

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn212/nafxosr/208_turkey_wants_you_to_eat_pork_hg.gif

Thunder
06-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Crest have better meat than Walmart.

SoonerDave
06-18-2009, 05:44 PM
I live very close to the new Crest locaton, and as I get the chance will take/post a few pictures of the area. They've moved very fast in clearing the trees and grading the land in preparation for the construction....

Martin
06-18-2009, 06:08 PM
if i had been thinking ahead, i would have snagged some of those trees. -M

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I wish Crest had a seafood department (I haven't been to too many, just the ones in Moore and Mid/Del). Maybe this new one will? Until then I will continue to shop at Homeland.

oneforone
06-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Unless I'm mistaken... Hefner and Rockwell has a seafood department. They even have a sushi chef.

I am not sure if the Douglas store has one or not... I will have to look next time I'm in.

usmbubba
06-19-2009, 03:50 PM
The Douglas store has seafood in the butcher section

soonerguru
06-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I do not have anything other than frozen seafood at my 23rd and Meridian location, but they do have seafood in the Edmond location -- and sushi.

The store at 23rd is smaller than the others.

I love shopping there but we try to cook seafood at least once a week or more. On those nights, I just go to Homeland on Britton (not a huge fan, but their seafood selection has gotten a lot better recently).

It would be good for Crest to add seafood at the 23rd store.

foodiefan
06-20-2009, 07:55 AM
I do not have anything other than frozen seafood at my 23rd and Meridian location, but they do have seafood in the Edmond location -- and sushi.

The store at 23rd is smaller than the others.

I love shopping there but we try to cook seafood at least once a week or more. On those nights, I just go to Homeland on Britton (not a huge fan, but their seafood selection has gotten a lot better recently).

It would be good for Crest to add seafood at the 23rd store.

They had a small selection of seafood and sushi when they first opened. . .unfortunately, I don't think there was enough demand to support it.

soonerguru
06-20-2009, 02:44 PM
They had a small selection of seafood and sushi when they first opened. . .unfortunately, I don't think there was enough demand to support it.

They may want to reconsider that decision. There is an amazing amount of traffic in that store, and, to some degree, the emergence of a more upscale customer.

I've lived in the area for four years, and I've noticed that store continue to grow in traffic.

soonerman66
06-20-2009, 08:23 PM

Gee, that is an intelligent answer, first it's I not i, and what Walmart store do you work at.

SoonerDave
06-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Story is they plan to do the same sushi thing at the 104th store, and I think it will fail just as readily. Sorry to be a curmudgeon about it, but when I go grocery shopping, I'm not going in for a side-order of sushi or an order of fries. I realize it sounds high-concept, and I certainly appreciate the aspiration to a higher quality business, but that part just doesn't click.

If they wanted to do something a little out of the ordinary, but more in keeping with a higher-end grocery theme, then I'd suggest a nice, small, fresh flower shop. As much as I loathe Neighborhood Wal Slums, I have to admit they have nice, simple, pleasant bunches of flowers that seem to stay nice for an extended period of time...

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Story is they plan to do the same sushi thing at the 104th store, and I think it will fail just as readily. Sorry to be a curmudgeon about it, but when I go grocery shopping, I'm not going in for a side-order of sushi or an order of fries. I realize it sounds high-concept, and I certainly appreciate the aspiration to a higher quality business, but that part just doesn't click.

If they wanted to do something a little out of the ordinary, but more in keeping with a higher-end grocery theme, then I'd suggest a nice, small, fresh flower shop. As much as I loathe Neighborhood Wal Slums, I have to admit they have nice, simple, pleasant bunches of flowers that seem to stay nice for an extended period of time...

I don't think it will fail. If they decide to put a sushi bar in, they obviously will have done research in that market and have determined that sushi will sell. I'm not sure, but I bet its not even going to be the raw fish stuff (just cucumber and california rolls and all that) - does the one in Edmond have sushi with real fish? Anyhow, I like supermarket sushi because its always cheap, and sometimes you just want some cheapy sushi without going to a restaurant.

Give it a try sometime SoonerDave! ;-)

old okie
06-22-2009, 02:04 PM

The Crest in Edmond does have a nice little flower shop from what I recall. So perhaps the new store will be "up-scale" enough to put in flowers, like the Homeland at 104th & Penn.

usmbubba
06-22-2009, 03:01 PM
The flower shops inside of Crest are independent operations. I know that they've looking for someone to open a shop in the new store

SoonerDave
06-22-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't think it will fail. If they decide to put a sushi bar in, they obviously will have done research in that market and have determined that sushi will sell....

Give it a try sometime SoonerDave! ;-)

I think they already tried it in Edmond, where they presumably did their market research, and it failed - unless I'm mistaken...

I'll leave the sushi for you Jerz...not my cup of tea :-)

oneforone
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
It needs to be noted that Crest's selection of Sushi is like any other item in the seafood section. It is not like a seperate counter or dining area of the store. You go in and buy it the same way you would lobster, crab, orange roughy or other fish.

I am hoping the new store will be similar to the Douglas store. At the Douglas store you can get full service in every department. It's not like Wal-Mart where most of the stuff is self service and the few counter service areas are just someone to restock or perform quick service needs.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-22-2009, 05:10 PM
They don't have the sushi anymore at the Edmond location? Well I'd be darned. Thought I heard someone mention it recently...oh well. Don't live up there so sort of hard to verify these things. You'd think sushi would work since I think many folks are up for it. Maybe just the restaurant kind though, and not for the supermarket. Super Target sushi down in Norman seems to still be there.

Ya know, sushi is also good with a cup of tea ;-)

soonerguru
06-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I think they already tried it in Edmond, where they presumably did their market research, and it failed - unless I'm mistaken...

I'll leave the sushi for you Jerz...not my cup of tea :-)

My buddy tells me they still sell sushi at the Edmond location. So your post is FAIL.

jk

:doh:

SoonerDave
06-22-2009, 06:20 PM
My buddy tells me they still sell sushi at the Edmond location. So your post is FAIL.

jk

:doh:

Well, all I can blame is the following from a few posts up...:

Originally Posted by foodiefan

So maybe not so much "fail" after all, possibly? :D

soonerguru
06-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, considering the fact my buddy bought sushi there last week, there's plenty of FAIL between your post and the one above to share.

:)

Captain Foo
06-22-2009, 11:06 PM
I saw "sushi" at the N Rockwell store just a couple of days ago. It was in the meat department. It is pre-boxed cheaply-made stuff from some company called Sushi City. I have seen it in other locations around the city. It can be enjoyed for what it is, and I occasionally do. But let's just say that you get what you pay for...

foodiefan
06-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Stop the "blame game"already!! If you will go back and look at my post, I quoted soonerguru who was referring to the store at 23rd and Meridian. The Crest at 23rd and Meridian, when they first opened, had a selection of sea food and sushi. Bottom line, there wasn't enough demand to continue to stock it. If any of you "experts" have shopped several of the Crest locations, you would know that what they stock/sell varies from store to store according to two primary principles. . .what will sell in that store. . .and what they can get the "best buy" on from the wholesaler.

SoonerDave
06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Fair enogh, foodie, fair enough.

If there are enough people that wasnt sushi with their canned green beans on their shopping trips, power to 'em....matters to me not one bit, except to the extent it may elevate prices on everything else...

soonerman66
06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
If you would think of the locations of the stores and the clientel that shops in them, you would understand why some of the stores do carry sushi and why some don't.

SoonerDave
06-24-2009, 08:38 AM
If you would think of the locations of the stores and the clientel that shops in them, you would understand why some of the stores do carry sushi and why some don't.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the concept of demographics, and I understand differences in clientele. I still just don't think offering up sushi is what draws someone to a grocery store, that's all. Just my opinion. The Crest itself, as an alternative to WalSlum and Homeland, will do wonders merely for its presence.

sweetykap
07-01-2009, 10:46 AM
I am sort of undecided on the Crest. From where I live I will have a great view of either the Crest or the attached strip mall. Pretty sure it will be the strip mall. They have been working for the past few weeks and I can watch all the construction out my back door. I am excited for the Crest because it will be convenient and I really do like the way Crest maintains their buildings....I am not excited that the view of the trees I had is now gone.

klhokc
07-05-2009, 03:39 PM
OKC definitely needs better grocery stores. WalMart, Buy 4 Less, Homeland come on now - those places are dirty and do not carry a diverse selection of food! I have heard good things about Crest but am not impressed with the Crest at NW 23rd & Meridian...maybe a Crest Market will be nicer... and yes, we could use one around NW 50th/NW 63RD & May!

SoonerDave
07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
OKC definitely needs better grocery stores. WalMart, Buy 4 Less, Homeland come on now - those places are dirty and do not carry a diverse selection of food! ...

Can't agree about the dirtiness issue at least as it pertains to Homeland on SW 104th and Penn. It is one of the best-kept stores around. Their prices are what keep our family away.

The Crest we've used in Moore has always seemed clean and neat in the times I've been there; now the layout of the Crest's is a little dodgy because many times they save costs by leaving goods in their factory packing..

Fastfwd
07-09-2009, 08:19 AM
I’ve wondered if OKC had anything that compared to Central Market in Texas…..I LOVE that place. I can’t imagine us getting anything close to that, but I’ll be sure to check out what we do get. I marvel at the olive selection at Central Market in Plano! The whole store is just incredible.

wayward1
08-22-2009, 09:45 PM
the only reason why is because the harroz family wants to make up for the money they lost buliding all those office buildings ( just south of crest #2 ) a few years back and reain empty to this day.....at least the last time i drove by they were....

sxl
08-24-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't think they should call it "Market". When I think of that word, the meaning to me comes as "small".

Like Braum's Fresh Market?

BDP
08-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Or "Whole Foods Market".

Thunder
08-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Like Braum's Fresh Market?

Yeah, the term market seem to me be a small, quick-stop place.

kmf563
08-24-2009, 03:35 PM
It says "Crest Fresh Market" at the Edmond Location. And on their bags. We were there last night.

They have Sushi, fresh meat, fresh seafood, bakery, fresh breads, good cheese, a deli, flower shop, ou/osu store, bank, manicure/pedicure place, photo studio, and organic vegetables/fruits. Crest bread is fantastic. And cheap.