View Full Version : Humble Pie in Edmond

Pages : [1] 2

traemac
02-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Has anyone at here? I overheard someone talking about it and couldnt find much online about it. How is the food and prices?

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 10:10 AM
We ate there at the Humble Pie and thought it was very good!

eataroundokc.com
03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
I haven't been there yet but I've been hearing good things. It sounds like they've got an authentic Chicago-style deep dish that seems to satisfy even those who have spent time in Chicago at some of the landmark places. I look forward to trying it out.

metro
03-30-2009, 12:25 PM
FYI...this is in the old Gaetano's space.

sooners83
03-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I will try them out soon and let you know how it is. I did find this:

Humble Pie Pizza (http://www.humblepieok.com/) - nothing on the site yet

Humble Pie | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Edmond-OK/Humble-Pie/43044323669)

traemac
03-31-2009, 09:44 AM
i got around to trying it, it was good just expensive

i think it was 6 bux for a slice

metro
03-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Wow. Care to write a review of the place and pizza?

tlc
03-31-2009, 06:46 PM
I've eaten there a few times and it is really good. We've had both the Chicago style and the New York. The Chicago is this buttery, flaky, crust that is just some yummy goodness! I've been to Chicago and am a huge fan of their pizza and this blows them away. The lunch price of $6 someone was commenting on is for a whole QUARTER of a deep dish pie, it is so filling! Go check them out. I heard they are having a grand opening this Sat the 4th and that you will be able to try some of the different pies.:congrats:

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-31-2009, 07:15 PM
i got around to trying it, it was good just expensive

i think it was 6 bux for a slice

That is alot for a slice, but I always say its not the price per slice but the price per unit happiness (or per unit weight, perhaps, if its good). If its chicago style I bet a slice weighs a ton right? As metro said, write a review!

traemac
04-01-2009, 10:34 AM
i was still hungry after the one slice however for $5 the two slices at falcones fill me up

jsibelius
04-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I've eaten there a few times and it is really good. We've had both the Chicago style and the New York. The Chicago is this buttery, flaky, crust that is just some yummy goodness! I've been to Chicago and am a huge fan of their pizza and this blows them away. The lunch price of $6 someone was commenting on is for a whole QUARTER of a deep dish pie, it is so filling! Go check them out. I heard they are having a grand opening this Sat the 4th and that you will be able to try some of the different pies.:congrats:

You've been to Chicago? Whose pizza did you eat there that was so good?

OkieHornet
04-01-2009, 01:59 PM
i'm not tlc, but the Lou Malnati's deep dish in Chicago is great...

keving
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Yes! Lou Malnati's is the best. I'm gonna try Humble Pie out this weekend. Will write up a review afterwards.

native
04-02-2009, 05:07 AM
I can't wait to try Humble Pie and compare the pizza to some of Chicago's best. It's been nearly two years since I lived in Chicago and I miss their pizza so much.

Soonerinfiniti
04-09-2009, 11:41 AM
It is $6 per slice! And if that slice is 1/4 of a pizza than that is one small, expensive ($24) pizza!

I realize it may cost more to make a deep dish pizza (although there thin New York pizza is actually more expensive!), but I can't afford to take my four kids to eat there.

If you look at it as some type of ultra-gourmet meal, like Godiva chocolates or something, an occasional indulgence I could maybe see it. But in this economy, the nominal price is going to preclude too many people from regularly dining there.

A regular cheese deep dish pizza is $16. Why not cut eight slices out of it and sell them for $2 each? Am I missing the math here?

native
04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I went to Humble Pie last Friday night to try the Chicago Deep Dish. I found the pizza to be very tasty and very close to real Chicago Style. They only have one size which is not enough for me and my girlfriend but we can put away the food. I talked to the owner of and he said the recipe for the crust was copied from Lou Malnati's, the sauce is copied from Edwardo's (my favorite Chicago pizzeria) & some of the ingredients from Giordano's. The pizza is still not as thick as real Chicago style but it's close. Out of the major pizzerias in Chicago, Lou Malnati's is not as deep.
I think they need to have more sizes in my opinion, especially if I show up real hungry. I've eaten a Giordano's Large Chicago style on my own before to win a bet.

KarenAGypsy
04-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Oh, my goodness, we just ate there for the first time tonight and all I can say is, "Humble Pie, where have you been all my life." Yummy and filling and so full to overflowing with quality ingredients. I normally don't like pan pizzas because I don't want to fill up on bread and I NEVER eat the pizza edge crust....but I did tonight.

I should have taken a picture to show you, it was a thing of beauty. The crust was WONDERFUL!!! Rich and buttery, tender and crispy all at the same time. We got the Chicago style supreme because my husband is a BIG eater but we took almost half of it home with us because it was SO MUCH FOOD!! I highly recommend Humble Pie to anyone who wants to try authentic Chicago pizza. Maybe next time we’ll try the New York style. I CAN’T WAIT!!! Would tomorrow night be too soon? <grin>

atlanta159
04-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Afriend of mine told me about Humble Pie, and I am really glad. I ate there last night, and it brought back memories of my time stationed in Chicago and the times I have gone back to visit. I had to deep dish supreme, and it was so good. I think Humble Pie has taken some of the best parts of different Chicago pizzerias and brought together to make it their own pizza.
For the concern about the price for a slice at lunch, I would say get a whole pizza. Some of the best breakfast food in the world is pizza. It is the same with buying pie, it is cheaper in the end to not buy it by the slice. Either way is still cheaper than cab fare from Midway.

easternobserver
04-27-2009, 06:54 PM
We went there recently, and even though neither of us love Chicago-style, it was quite good. The pizza is very expensive, but it is also a tremendous amount of food. Still - over $20 for a pizza is a lot of money. We had a supreme, and it was loaded with toppings. The sauce was good too, well balanced between sweetness and acidity. My wife loved the cheese. The salad was also very good.

Martin
05-01-2009, 03:17 PM
i'm a fan of chicago style so i made sure to try this place out. i finally got my fix. it's really good stuff. top notch toppings along with good quality cheese. good tasting crust, although i'd prefer if it had a slightly more buttery flavor... but the taste and texture weren't off... just my preference. the sauce... perfect amount used and perfect flavor with the right balance of sweetness and acidity. the tomoatoes still had some texture and weren't pureed to death.

a word on atmosphere... while i typically get pizza as takeout, it must be noted that humble pie has significantly upgraded the gaetano's space. gone is the random hodgepodge of stuff... like a treadmill (?) the interior has a fresh coat of paint and ambiance... looks really nice. so now, one could consider hanging out at this place with friends on an evening out and not just get takeout. mad props for what they did with the space.

it's not cheap, though. the average pie will set you back $22 plus tax and tip... for the size of pizza, it seemed a tad steep despite the quality. i'll be back whenever i'm jonesing for chicago style, but not on a regular basis.

-M

atlanta159
05-07-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm jonesin' so going back Friday night if all goes well. See you there.

fuzzytoad
05-07-2009, 09:49 AM
do they deliver?

atlanta159
06-09-2009, 11:48 PM
We ate there again the other night. My wife fell in love with the Chicago style the first time we were there and so I had to really talk her into letting us try the New York style. We had the Greek pizza. It was GREAT, other than the fact that the guy who made it forgot to add the chicken. But, it was really good for a veggi pizza. The owner was there and he offered to make it up to us with a meat lover's pie but we were already full and still had half a pizza to take home. They forgot to adjust the price and I didn't think about it until we were already home.

My wife doesn't usually eat the crust of a pizza but that was her favorite part of this one. It must be the garlic butter sauce they slather on it.

Try Humble Pie. I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

Ray (and Karen)

PS They're going to do a fund raiser for our deployed troops!!!!!!!!!!!!! The owner's brother was in Afghanistan last year. WOW, that's going to put a lot of smiles on some very deserving faces. We'll post more when the date is set in stone. WOOHOO!!!

Steve
06-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I was disappointed. My wife was disappointed. Way overrated and definitely not worth the high price.

beccachino
06-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I was disappointed. My wife was disappointed. Way overrated and definitely not worth the high price.

I am not sure what pizza you ordered, it is sad to hear you didn't enjoy the pizza. I find it a bit surprising!!

My husband and I eat there at least once a week. Would probably eat there more but the waist line doesn't need it.

The Deep Dish Supreme is the best and I would say our favorite in the New York is the Chipotle Chicken.

tnajk
07-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Ate there recently and it was excellent. The Chicago style was VERY SIMILAR to Chicago's Gino's East or Giordano's. It was YUMMY and we soooo needed a place like this here in OKC. It's expensive yes, but well worth it for the occasional treat.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
07-22-2009, 06:49 PM
I'll add to the common consensus here, this place is awesome! I'm not a big Chicago pizza fan, then again I guess I wasn't because I hadn't had Chicago-style pizza this good - its just impossible to describe. Fresh Spinach was the best, so much flavor, hefty crust (which in most cases would be a negative for me) which was baked just right because it was crispy on the outside and doughy on the inside (but not too doughy). A hint of garlic. Sauce on the top but not too saucy throughout. Sigh...

I'm sorry Chicago pizza that I never gave you a chance before(maybe I should try taking a trip there, never been, but I've been inspired...)

Next I guess I'll have to try the NY style to see if its the real deal...

It is pricey but if you go today they have buy one get one half off. Monday is 5 dollars off, too. Thursday is dress like a pirate night and get discounts, that sounds pretty interesting. :Smiley112

KarenAGypsy
07-28-2009, 12:49 AM
I hope that you all can come eat at Humble Pie on Monday, August 3rd when the HP family will be donating 25% of the daily receipts to benefit American troops deployed in harm's way.

AWESOME!!!!

If you have a loved one currently deployed, please bring their military address to members of The Hugs Project and we'll make sure they get a care package.

If you just LOVE troops and want to help, we're also collecting care package items while we're there so come by and drop off some SOCKS, beef jerky, eye drops, canned pasta, etc.

We're working with a lot of groups right now in Southern Afghanistan and they are on such remote bases, they have NOTHING. They will greatly appreciate anything you can give.

Thanks to you and especially thanks to Matt and all the friendly people at Humble Pie in Edmond, on Broadway just N. of Office Depot.

Karen
The Hugs Project (http://www.TheHugsProject.com) - Because every American serving in harm's way deserves the thanks of a grateful nation.

RubyeMae
08-03-2009, 01:38 AM
We'll be there and we're bringing care package items to help fill up some soldier boxes. We LOVE our troops. Thanks. Rubye

metro
08-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Video from FOX 25:

KOKH FOX 25 :: Morning News (http://www.okcfox.com/newsroom/morning_news/videos/vid_155.shtml)

http://humblepieok.com/

fromdust
10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/okcland/1235005944896.jpg

well, i gotta say its pretty good. not awesome, just good. the price is to high. $1.50 to add basil to your pie? they grow the stuff on their window sill, how bout cutting out that middle man cost? better than the chains, but i'll stick to falcones on may, and the wedge.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
10-04-2009, 11:11 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/okcland/1235005944896.jpg

well, i gotta say its pretty good. not awesome, just good. the price is to high. $1.50 to add basil to your pie? they grow the stuff on their window sill, how bout cutting out that middle man cost? better than the chains, but i'll stick to falcones on may, and the wedge.

Not to go off subject but that picture is something else, fromdust...wow....holy @#&%!

Turns out one person died and 14 others were injured in that crash that happened over a year ago: Today's photo: Car plows into bicyclists during race - On Deadline - USATODAY.com (http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/06/todays-photo-ca.html)

Ok now back to the pizza...loves me some humble pie! I don't think 1.50 is too much extra for basil, compared to the cost other toppings. Humble pie isn't cheap though in general (then again I don't think pizza should be cheap, or else it probably sucks). Given the taste-to-price ratio, I think HP is a great deal! :-)

metro
10-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I've been meaning to review this place for a month or so now.

Humble Pie is IMO the only real Chicago Style pizza in the metro. I had the fortunate priveledge of eating with the owner a month or so back. I tried both the NYC style (pretty good, probably #2 or #3 in OKC) and the famous Chicago style. I came in for a late lunch, around 2:30 and he only had two "slices" left by that time. As I was by myself, I only wanted to buy by the slice, not a whole pie. He offered to make a new pie since it had been sitting out for an hour or so, but I politely declined as I didn't want him to make a whole pie, just so I can buy a slice. He told me not to judge him based upon it sitting out for so long. Despite that fact, it was hands down the best Chicago Style pizza in OKC, and probably the closest thing I've had outside Chicago. The crust was perfect, the sauce amazing, and generous toppings with quality ingredients. My only complaint is that it's in Edmond so I can't get up there as often as I'd like.

The NYC style isn't as good as Papa Angelos, but it is still pretty darn tasty, far better than Falcone's IMO. I am a little concerned about the odd location, it's where Gaetano's used to be, not the best of high profile areas in Edmond, but it seems to be holding it's own. The owner does have a serious passion for what he does and takes it very seriously, and that's important. He's definitely open to feedback and I gave him a few suggestions. This was a nice switch compared to other places, who don't care to hear what their customers think about improvements. He does want to expand eventually, but I hope he does it smart, as I want this place to stick around, and OKC needs this niche filled long-term in it's culinary scene.

I definitely need to get back soon and encourage you to check it out if you haven't!

Cindie8696
10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I've been wanting some real Chicago-style deep dish pizza for a while but wasn't sure where to go. I'm so glad to read all of these reviews! The sad thing is that I live in Edmond and I didn't even know it was there.

Cindie8696
10-14-2009, 08:27 PM
I went to Humble Pie tonight and it was AWESOME. We had a deep-dish with just cheese (my son is a "purist" and doesn't like lots of toppings).

It was amazing! The cheese was delicious and flavorful; I could tell it was high-quality. The sauce was very fresh-tasting, just a tad sweet and spicy -- perfect. The crust was out of this world.

The restaurant was clean and pretty inviting. The staff I interacted with (all looked like teenagers) were very friendly and seemed competent, which seems pretty rare when it comes to teens in restaurants.

I wish they had more parking and a better location, but that won't keep me away from this pizza.

I would recommend that all pizza-lovers check this place out. It's definitely going to be a once-a-week place for us. It's truly that good!

MrBojangles
10-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Humble Pie was awesome! I may never eat Pizza Hut again.

kmf563
12-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey guys - HP had a fire last night. It's not totally gone, but they sure could use some prayer and hands getting it back together. I know some of you love it, so if you can help let them know.

metro
12-30-2009, 03:01 PM
wow, I seriously hope they reopen

tnajk
12-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Me too!

z28james
01-03-2010, 11:14 PM
HP is a good Chicago style place in OKC, however, I think its way overpriced and the pizzas are not as big as Giordano's in Chicago which is my favorite. But they do taste good and its the closest thing to Chicago style around here.

Debzkidz
01-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the fire. Our family tried to go there dinner just the other day and found them closed, but we didn't realize they had had a fire. We just assumed it was due to the holidays or something. We love that place and do hope they reopen, especially since we purchased $100 worth gift certificates during one of those half off radio deals. We were planning on trying again this coming Friday.

kmf563
01-05-2010, 07:30 AM
They will reopen but I don't think it will be anytime soon. They have a lot of repairs to do still. I'll try to get an update at some point this week and let you guys know.

metro
01-05-2010, 08:16 AM
z28james, we're NOT in Chicago so I'll take the best we can get.

kmf563
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
They are shooting for reopening in 3 weeks. This is the current status. The cold or wetness could delay this I'm sure. But we'll see.

betts
01-08-2010, 06:59 PM
That's a shame. I'd heard very good things about their restaurant from friends.

metro
07-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Humble Pie in Edmond is reopened. For those of you who don't know, it's on Broadway and about 9th street, on the west side of Broadway in the strip center with the neon green paint, next to some pawn shop and audio plus. This place is the only place I've ever had in Oklahoma with true Chicago style pizza. Highly recommend it, for those of you who loved it in the past before they had the fire about 6 months ago, go support it and help keep the place open! OKC needs more true pizzeria's, especially ones that have Chicago style pizza.

fuzzytoad
07-08-2010, 12:35 PM
do they deliver?

metro
07-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Not sure, call them. I'm sure they would if you ordered enough. The owner is very nice and always goes the extra mile.

http://humblepieok.com/

Martin
07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
great news... i've been wanting to go back. -M

calitook
07-09-2010, 09:26 AM
! I actually logged on today just to see if there was any news about Humble Pie, so this is great. Strange question, do they have to re-apply for their liquor license or can they serve beer immediately?

metro
07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
They had beer there when I was there, although I didn't order any, so I'm assuming they serve it.

litt
07-09-2010, 06:30 PM
just got back from there. first time we went there. good stuff! kind of reminds me of the old my pi pizza from way back when. i'd recommend it to anyone that likes pizza for sure.

Debzkidz
07-13-2010, 09:43 AM
YEA! I love this place and have been waiting patiently for them to reopen.

Soonerinfiniti
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I think the pizza is pretty good (although not as thick as Giordano's) but it's too expensive. Our deep dish pizza had eight small slices and it didn't seem as thick as the last time. Our family left hungry and short-changed ($15 plus tax and tip). I don't like the full-service style of the restaurant - feels forced. I wish them luck and if you like it and can afford it - great. I just won't be back!

BTW, I think they need to have a larger size - even charge more for it. Giordano's has a small (10"), medium (12") and large (14") with cheese ranging from $13.50 to $19 per pie. Humble Pie's only size is small. Still don't know why the New York Style is more than the deep dish......

MightyHorse
07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
There's a Giordano's in OKC? where?

metro
07-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah where is Giordano's in OKC? I too didn't get why now the NY Style is more than Deep Dish. I was there a couple weeks ago and they had other sizes besides small, not sure what that's about. I agree I wish they had a lunch buffet or something.

Soonerinfiniti
07-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Giordano's is the famous deep dish pizza chain out of Chicago. The "holy grail" of deep dish pizza (no offense to Lou Malnati's, Gino's, etc)...

skyrick
07-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Humble Pie??!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMmV6xXYFw

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Roadhawg
07-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Do you get 30 days in the hole when you go? :)

Celebrator
08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I love this place and am glad to see that it has re-opened, but I tried to call in a takeaway order on Saturday evening and first was hung up on after I was put on hold then called back and was told to call back in five minutes (?????) So I called Hideaway instead! I will certainly give them another try because they offer a product unique to the area, but I was not impressed with that last experience over the phone. Call back in five minutes!?!