View Full Version : Thought about creation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

metro
02-26-2009, 02:13 PM
I recently heard a thought about creation. Most people (at least the ones who believe in Creation or intelligent design) believe that Adam and Eve were the first humans. I think most would agree that asked the question, how old were Adam & Eve when they were created, most would say 20-30ish. Or basically mature enough to reproduce, not created as an infant left to fend for themselves. So with this said, that means they would have been created "aged" or "matured". Many also believe that the earth is millions of years old, etc. etc.. Given that theory, what's to say God couldn't have created an "aged" earth from beginning? Just an interesting observation and discussion I had with someone recently. Thought it was food for thought.

Midtowner
02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, he was trying to fool us.

The more and more you think about it, the more and more ridiculous that idea is. I guess if believing in magic is what works for you, then that works for you.

kevinpate
02-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe.
Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat,
and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet.
Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

- K
>8^)

namellac
02-26-2009, 04:53 PM
NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial | PBS (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/)

This was one of the best NOVA shows I've ever seen. Actually shows the manuscripts of the "ID Textbooks" where "Creationism" is re-labeled as "Intelligent Design". Exact same text, just re-worded.

PennyQuilts
02-26-2009, 05:45 PM
There are a number of christian beliefs that believe that Eve was actually Adam's second wife - the first was Lilith but she was pretty mouthy.

A lot of people who buy into intelligent design do NOT believe the story of Adam and Eve. They aren't bound by biblical stories, rather, they believe that the world or universe was created by intelligent design which may have absolutely nothing to do with christianity or any other recognized religion.

MadMonk
02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe.
Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat,
and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet.
Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

- K
>8^)
+1 rep for a great movie quote. :tiphat:

I can't remember if I saw this hear or elsewhere, but it's the perfect spot to post it:

"Lord, I have a problem."
"What's the problem, Adam?", God replies.
"Lord, I know you created me and have provided for me and surrounded me with this beautiful garden and all of these wonderful animals, but I'm just not happy"
"Why is that, Adam?", comes the reply from the heavens.
"Lord, I know you created this place for me, with all this lovely food and all of the beautiful animals, but I am lonely."
"Well Adam, in that case I have the perfect solution. I shall create a 'woman' for you."
"What's a 'woman', Lord?"
"This 'woman' will be the most intelligent, sensitive, caring, and beautiful creature I have ever created. She will be so intelligent that she can figure out what you want before you want it. She will be so sensitive and caring that she will know your every mood and how to make you happy. Her beauty will rival that of the heavens and earth. She will unquestioningly care for your every need and desire. She will be the perfect companion for you.", replies the heavenly voice.
"Sounds great."
"She will be, but this is going to cost you, Adam."
"How much will this 'woman' cost me Lord?", Adam replies.
"She'll cost you your right arm, your right leg, an eye, an ear, and your left testicle."
Adam ponders this for some time, with a look of deep thought and concern on his face. Finally Adam says to God:
"Ehhh, what can I get for a rib?"

namellac
02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
I'll have to find it, but there is a version of "ID" that actually has Evolution as part of its methodology.

NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial | The Judge Speaks (Transcript) | PBS (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/id/judg-nf.html)
Evolutionary theory is not antithetical to religion

Both Defendants and many of the leading proponents of intelligent design make a bedrock assumption which is utterly false. Their presupposition is that evolutionary theory is antithetical to a belief in the existence of a supreme being and to religion in general. Repeatedly in this trial, Plaintiffs' scientific experts testified that the theory of evolution represents good science, is overwhelmingly accepted by the scientific community, and that it in no way conflicts with, nor does it deny, the existence of a divine creator.

To me, the Bible is the "Why" part. Science is the "How".

USG '60
02-26-2009, 07:41 PM
There are a number of christian beliefs that believe that Eve was actually Adam's second wife - the first was Lilith but she was pretty mouthy.

A lot of people who buy into intelligent design do NOT believe the story of Adam and Eve. They aren't bound by biblical stories, rather, they believe that the world or universe was created by intelligent design which may have absolutely nothing to do with christianity or any other recognized religion.

Do we have any idea what percentage of adherents to ID are complete non-Christians?

PennyQuilts
02-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Do we have any idea what percentage of adherents to ID are complete non-Christians?

No - but does it matter?

I just kind of get aggravated when people assume I have particular religious beliefs based on something that is not necessarily related. If someone learns I am pro life they think they already know everything about my spriitual life and frequently have a pretty arrogant, condescending attitude about it.

nik4411
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Interesting thought metro.

My question is, where do dinosaurs come into play? I have never read much of the bible, but i have always wondered what it says about them, if we assume they lived millions and millions of years ago.

namellac
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM

My question is, where do dinosaurs come into play? I have never read much of the bible, but i have always wondered what it says about them, if we assume they lived millions and millions of years ago.

Probably because the bible is a history of a people, and dinosaurs predate that history.

willy_p19
02-28-2009, 12:09 PM
I recently heard a thought about creation. Most people (at least the ones who believe in Creation or intelligent design) believe that Adam and Eve were the first humans. I think most would agree that asked the question, how old were Adam & Eve when they were created, most would say 20-30ish. Or basically mature enough to reproduce, not created as an infant left to fend for themselves. So with this said, that means they would have been created "aged" or "matured". Many also believe that the earth is millions of years old, etc. etc.. Given that theory, what's to say God couldn't have created an "aged" earth from beginning? Just an interesting observation and discussion I had with someone recently. Thought it was food for thought.

The concept of Yahweh creating the universe with the appearance of age cannot preclude the concept of creation beginning at the exact moment you began reading my response where the entire universe, including your memories of life experiences and even this topic to which I'm replying, was created in situ and is merely seconds old with only the appearance of having existed for minutes to billions of years.

Of course, this begs the question of how a creator that can be so deceptive as to create illusions of supernovae from billions of light years away that never really happened, volcanic mountains that were never really volcanoes in the first place, canyons that never actually experienced erosion, evolutionary traits that have never actually evolved, etc. can also be viewed as perfect, honest, and trustworthy thus worthy of being called God.

PennyQuilts
02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I've personally not read anything defending the notion that god created the world but made it appear aged for some reason. What are the theories as to why god would do such a thing?

kevinpate
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
dinosaurs simply don't come into play. houses were too small, so they played outside.
.oO(thought everyone knew that)Oo.

Prunepicker
02-28-2009, 10:22 PM

My question is, where do dinosaurs come into play? I have never read much
of the bible, but i have always wondered what it says about them, if we
assume they lived millions and millions of years ago.

In Job 40 & 41 the Leviathan and Behemoth are mentioned. They're both
described as large creature. Dinosaurs? Don't know.

Jon27
02-28-2009, 10:50 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on the afterlife?

Prunepicker
02-28-2009, 11:50 PM

I believe in the afterlife and that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. No
one comes to the Father except through him. John 14:6

Maybe we should start another thread.

Bunty
03-04-2009, 05:01 PM

One has to have believe in their afterlife if they believe in Jesus Christ even though the Bible clearly states that the dead know nothing.

onthestrip
03-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Just a guess (obviously) but I have the idea that after I die it will be similar to how it was before I was born.

Karried
03-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Has anyone else seen Religulous... pretty much sums this discussion up.

This movie is really funny but I'll bet Christians won't go see it.

-CWiASiqDdU

HSC-Sooner
03-07-2009, 05:08 PM
I think people are mistaken when they think of evolutionary theory and use the common definition of theory in that sense. When you lose your car keys, you can deduce the "I probably left it in my coat pocket" theory.

When scientists put forward a theory, its a completely different meaning. Theory in this case means an explanation of observations through experimentation and analysis. Theory in science means that the explanation is well supported by lots of evidence.

It's like this: gravity is a fact. When you drop a dish, it falls. So we have the law of gravity. That objects are attracted to each other and the bigger the object, the bigger the attraction. There's also a theory of gravity. So far, its the best that scientists have to describe the phenomena of falling objects. We don't know why gravity occurs or if there's an exchange of 'gravitrons' (similar to photons for light) in this process. So researchers are studying this through math, observations, and experimentation.

You can apply the same sense to evolution. You can look at human DNA, primate DNA, cat DNA, and bacterial DNA and see that there are some shared, conserved genes. We see it and we also see a 'scale' of similarity from organisms to organisms. We can look at wolf DNA and dog DNA and see they share a lot of similarity. We can look at primate DNA and human DNA and see a lot of similarity. We can look at human DNA and plant DNA and see there's some shared sequences but also lots of differences. We can place these differences and classify organisms based on how much similarity they share, thus a phylogenetic tree. That's the fact part.

The best theory that scientists have come up with is the theory of evolution through natural selection. Some genes survive and gets passed on to later generations. So obviously, these later generations will share similar sequences with its ancestor. Multiply this with multiple generations and you're bound to get differences, especially if one group is separated from another (whether it be by islands, mountains, etc.). We observe this in bacteria through antibiotic resistance. Although it's 'micro' evolution, it is not hard to imagine this on a grander scale. I hope this explanation is clear.

Prunepicker
03-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I think people are mistaken when they think of evolutionary theory...

This is an old explanation that doesn't prove evolution by any stretch. I'm a
science teacher and an optical physicist. In all my years there hasn't
been any rock solid evidence of evolution. Many scientists, who hate the
idea of intelligent design or creation, simply refuse to accept the
alternative to evolution, which has more evidence for than against.

Evolutionists have not, and I dare say, cannot, produce one item of
evidence through the fossil record. Not one bone or fossil shows a
connection between one species to another. There is nothing to show
from where the cow came, except through wishful thinking. The most
troubling theory of evolution to evolutionist is the absolute fact that there
is nothing linking man to apes.

Radiometric dating, which can date something as recent as one day old one
day and 100,000 years the next is also troubling. One can't help but think
that if the so-called evolution of man over the past 12,000 years was true
that every anthropological dig on earth would be producing fossil after fossil
showing the link between man and ape. It hasn't happened and it's not
likely to ever happen. Darwin also said this.

Most evolutionists are using the same "facts" and methods as they did to
prove the existence of Nebraska man.

HSC-Sooner
03-08-2009, 01:12 PM
The evidence I'm citing has nothing to do with radiometric dating. I'm using genomic data. Also, fossilization is a complex process. To preserve bones or outlines of soft tissue, the organism must have been buried rapidly in a low oxygen environment. You have to account for scavengers, earth movement, and decomposition. Not all dead organisms fossilize. You can't go to a fossil dig and magically find everything that once lived there. It's true that paleontologists have never found every single transition fossil but there are still plenty of fossils to examine and observe the variations over time.

You only need some key evidence in convicting a murderer in a crime scene. Jurors don't throw away palm prints or a bloody knife because the prosecution didn't have access to every single video of the crime.

Again, there's a theory of evolution through natural selection (which is so far, the best theory to explain what we observe). There are also the facts for the case of evolution through genomic sequences. You look at primate DNA and human DNA and you see a 99% similarity. How is that not a link? You can examine other organisms in comparison to human DNA and you will see different degrees of similarity. You can plot this and map this out to a phylogenetic tree.

If you want fossil link to humans, look at fossils for Homo erectus, Australopithecus species, and Homo heidelbergensis. Based on the fossil morphology, you can say they're related to humans. I'm not saying they're direct ancestors to humans because that's a false view of evolution. People believe that evolution is just a direct lineage when in reality, it's a multitude of branches stemming off of a shared common ancestor. Humans and modern primates stem off a shared ancestor, but to say chimpanzees are ancestors of humans is false. Think of a Y. The branches are similar and they share a common stem. Genomic data really does show similarities and it is hard to ignore.

If scientists 'hate' facts that are against evolution, then this is the biggest conspiracy in the world. It's delusional to believe that.

Luke
03-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Even Richard Dawkins, God of modern day Atheism and Apostle of the Irreligious said Intelligent Design could work, actually...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WqKUPkMTN-Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WqKUPkMTN-Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For all you "open-minded" folks, "Expelled" might be a good documentary to watch.

Mr. T in OKC
03-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Was anyone offended by this?:

http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-lawmaker-filed-resolution-opposing-tonights-lecture-by-evolutionary-biologist-at-ou/article/3351041

I was. I thought it only reinfoced the assumption that most Okies are undereducated. So much for Todd Tomsen's belief in seperation of church and state. I also wonder if Rep. Tomsen is opposed to minority students attending the University of Oklahoma since most people in Oklahoma are white.

dismayed
03-13-2009, 10:35 PM
This is an old explanation that doesn't prove evolution by any stretch. I'm a science teacher and an optical physicist. In all my years there hasn't been any rock solid evidence of evolution. Many scientists, who hate the idea of intelligent design or creation, simply refuse to accept the alternative to evolution, which has more evidence for than against.

Are you saying that intelligent design as it has currently been defined is a valid scientific hypothesis and/or theory? Remember the scientific method? Science demands that you must document test cases. Please describe a test case by which we can disprove the existence of a supernatural being.

dismayed
03-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Can someone please explain to me how someone can honestly believe that science and religion have to be at odds?

Prune, maybe this question is directed at you. I believe in God, but I think that Genesis was a story given to humans by God that they could understand given their limited comprehension at the time. It would have done no good to try to explain evolutionary biology to a newly sentient human being. And quite honestly what does it matter what method our Creator decided to use to create us.

Q1. What does it matter? Why do you even care... why is evolution such a big deal to you? Why do you think they are mutually exclusive views of creation?

Q2. Do you literally believe the Earth was created in six days, that the Earth formed before the stars, that woman was formed from a man's rib, talking snakes, the whole nine yards? Is that why you don't agree with evolution?

I'm being totally serious here. I literally don't understand.

Prunepicker
03-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Are you saying that intelligent design as it has currently been defined is a
valid scientific hypothesis and/or theory? Remember the scientific method?
Science demands that you must document test cases. Please describe a test
case by which we can disprove the existence of a supernatural being.
No. I'm saying that evolution has yet to be proven. Intelligent design has
more going for it than evolution, i.e, there isn't any proof of one speicies
evolving into another. Not that it's right, it's just that evolution hasn't been
proven and ID has more going for it. I'm not giving an answer to anything. I
simply don't have a reason to believe that evolution has ever happened or
is happening.

Michael Behe. (http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2230)

I accept his philosophy.

onthestrip
03-14-2009, 12:10 PM
evolving into another. Not that it's right, it's just that evolution hasn't been
is happening.

Michael Behe. (http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/index.php?command=view&id=2230)

I accept his philosophy.

So you are saying ID has more going for it right now than evolution simply because you just dont happen to believe in evolution? Thats idiotic. How on earth does ID have more going for it right now. Are thousands of scientist, more importantly biologists, working right now to create a THEORY of intelligent design? Come on now.

To show how dumb this argument is Ill go back to Richard Dawkins funny assesment about gravity, Intelligent falling vs. theory of gravity. Which makes the most sense to you?

Prunepicker
03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
So you are saying ID has more going for it right now than evolution simply
because you just don't happen to believe in evolution?

No. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

This is what I'm saying.

1. Evolution hasn't been proven. Not in any way, shape or form.
2. There's more evidence that each species came from itself.

The only reason I say this is because it's a fact. Right now, March of 2009,
there is no solid evidence that a species evolved from another species.
There's only extrapolation, which means, scientists, who want to believe in
evolution, must make up information to fill the gaps. When evolutionists can
prove their point WITHOUT guess work or filling in the spaces with
hypothesis, THEN, and only then will I accept evolution as an honest to
goodness viable scientific solution.

Right now there is NOTHING to prove evolution.

08hybridok
03-14-2009, 09:06 PM
I want to get my opnion in here, altho I pretty much agree with prune. I will say I believe in ID, I'm a christian, but most of all it makes sence.

If eveoloution, why do we still look the same we did 100 yrs ago, 1000 yrs ago, as far back as I can see pictures, we look basicly the same. Yes eveloution takes time, but how much time? We can create new dog breeds in just a few generations. Like someone said (Prune maybe) how did 1 orginasim become every living thing on the planet? I can see a dog/wolf mutation or something. But a whale and a daisy? Did ceation happen in 144hrs? I don't think so, day's could have been our years, decades, millenia.

I also believe science can back up ID. The Bible stories, I've seen shows saying how a volcano erupted and that was the pilar or fire by night & cloud by day, and the parting of the red sea was timed somehow by something (sorry can't recall the show now) but basicly lowered the water level at a point they could walk accross.

Prunepicker
03-14-2009, 09:34 PM
I want to get my opinion in here, although I pretty much agree with prune.
I will say I believe in ID, I'm a Christian, but most of all it makes sense.

If evolution, why do we still look the same we did 100 yrs ago, 1000 yrs
ago, as far back as I can see pictures, we look basically the same. Yes
evolution takes time, but how much time? We can create new dog breeds
in just a few generations. Like someone said (Prune maybe) how did 1
organism become every living thing on the planet? I can see a dog/wolf
mutation or something. But a whale and a daisy? Did creation happen in
144hrs? I don't think so, day's could have been our years, decades,
millenia.

I also believe science can back up ID. The Bible stories, I've seen shows
saying how a volcano erupted and that was the pillar or fire by night &
cloud by day, and the parting of the red sea was timed somehow by
something (sorry can't recall the show now) but basically lowered the
water level at a point they could walk across.

When you mentioned a whale and a daisy, I couldn't help but think, "if I
were an evolutionist, it would make perfect sense." For some reason they
don't agree with that. I really don't know why. If things evolve then they
evolve, regardless. If they can only evolve into certain things then they
really don't evolve.

As far as ID goes, I'm not going to argue pro or con. My point is strictly
that evolution is only a "theory", not a theory that proves a point, but a
theory that has yet to be proven.

HSC-Sooner
03-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Rapid evolution documented in ground lizards (ie they have a 'crop'-like organ not seen before in parental populations):
Lizards Undergo Rapid Evolution After Introduction To A New Home (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080417112433.htm)

No, a daisy cannot 'evolve' into a whale just like that. They have a shared ancestor, probably dating back to millions of years ago to some of the first multicellular organisms. That's the idea of evolution, new species coming from a parental species. Not all of them survive. Evolution describes this process of speciation. But change only occurs if there is a drive for it.

This is why we still look the 'same' as we did a 1000 or 10000 years ago. When there is no real selective pressure (ie individuals die) then organisms tend to stay the same. A bat doesn't go "oh, I need to evolve" and *poof*, it's a giant bat now! If it works at being a bat in its environment, then those that stay within the normal variation lives.

This is why dogs can change so fast. If we want a big spotted dogs, we breed the ones that have big spots. Those that don't, our ancestors either neutered or cull. Within generations, you have Dalmatians. Let's say we release a population of dalmatians onto an island. Lets pretend this island has lions on them. Soon, there will be no dalmatians left on the island since their bright spots make it easy to be eaten unless the population changes. Lets say there was a litter of pups and one of them didn't have bright spots. Lets pretend that this pup has brown spots. He survives and reproduces with some of the surviving dalmatians. His litter has half spotted and half brown spots. The cycle repeats.

This process is seen in the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Except you remove dalmatians and replace it with pathogens and replace lions with antibiotics.

dismayed
03-15-2009, 09:00 PM
is happening.

I accept his philosophy.

Prune, I'd still like to hear your view on my second post (e.g. the why are they mutually exclusive to you posting).

Regarding this post though, I really don't see how you can say that about ID. As I have noted, but maybe I wasn't direct enough, as ID is currently defined it cannot be science because it does not follow the basic rules of the scientific method. As currently stated it can never even be listed as a hypothesis, let alone a theory, because the assumption has been stated in such a way that it can never be disproved by a test case. That in itself makes it invalid. I have read the Behe site before, because you have posted it before, and the site doesn't deny this at all and it never even addresses it. The fact is as stated this isn't science.

On the one hand you have something that perhaps not perfect conforms to the rules of science. On the other hand you have something that can't even cross the first hurtle of rules of science. How on Earth can you then say that thing has more going for it... as stated it can never even be considered for evaluation!!

Prunepicker
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Can someone please explain to me how someone can honestly believe that
science and religion have to be at odds?

Prune, maybe this question is directed at you. I believe in God, but I think
that Genesis was a story given to humans by God that they could
understand given their limited comprehension at the time. It would have
done no good to try to explain evolutionary biology to a newly sentient
human being. And quite honestly what does it matter what method our
Creator decided to use to create us.

Q1. What does it matter? Why do you even care... why is evolution such a
big deal to you? Why do you think they are mutually exclusive views of
creation?

Q2. Do you literally believe the Earth was created in six days, that the
Earth formed before the stars, that woman was formed from a man's rib,
talking snakes, the whole nine yards? Is that why you don't agree with
evolution?

I'm being totally serious here. I literally don't understand.

I must have missed this.

Q1. It matters because evolution is not a proven theory. There are many
links that evolutionists have had to fill in the blanks because there isn't
any viable proof, otherwise. If it's going to be taught as a fact it needs to
be completely factual. Evolution is 50% fact and 50% fill in the blank.
Those are my hyperbolic numbers.

Q2. What I believe doesn't fit into the equation. The reason I don't believe
in evolution is answered in Q1. It has yet to be absolutely and inexplicably
proven.

dismayed
03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I must have missed this.

Q1. It matters because evolution is not a proven theory. There are many
links that evolutionists have had to fill in the blanks because there isn't
any viable proof, otherwise. If it's going to be taught as a fact it needs to
be completely factual. Evolution is 50% fact and 50% fill in the blank.
Those are my hyperbolic numbers.

Q2. What I believe doesn't fit into the equation. The reason I don't believe
in evolution is answered in Q1. It has yet to be absolutely and inexplicably
proven.

So you would rather rely on an assumption that is 100% unprovable as currently stated by the scientific method rather than something that is 50% fact and complies with the scientific process?

Do you see what I've been getting at here? ID is flat out not science, but I wouldn't necessarily disregard alternative theories if they actually attempted to follow the scientific process. Believe me I have read many an ID website and I don't see it out there, anywhere.

Prunepicker
03-15-2009, 09:45 PM
So you would rather rely on an assumption that
is 100% unprovable as currently stated by the scientific method rather than
something that is 50% fact and complies with the scientific process?

Do you see what I've been getting at here? ID is flat out not science, but
I wouldn't necessarily disregard alternative theories if they actually attempted
to follow the scientific process. Believe me I have read many an ID website
and I don't see it out there, anywhere.

I'm not a supporter of ID.

Look, evolution is not a fact. I used the term very loosely in my previous
post. There are a lot of similarities but it stops there. There is absolutely
nothing that links one species to another. The only links they have are
made up, because there isn't anything to connect.

When I was teaching science we teachers were told to manipulate the
data, in classroom experiments, to reach the conclusion dictated by the
administration. Anytime you have to manipulate the data to arrive to a
conclusion then it isn't science. That's what evolutionists have to do.

Prunepicker
03-16-2009, 12:16 AM
This discussion of evolution creates many arguments. Like politics, there is a
love-hate policy. Because we want to be right, whether in politics, religion,
education, etc... we disregard facts. Why? Because we want to be right and
nothing else matters. This type of thinking is a very natural part of
human assumption and/or rationalization.

Facts are an important requirement in my coming to any decision. Feelings
never enter into the process. Why? Because feelings have a tendency to
disregard truth. Feelings are not a product of the intellectual or scientific
process.

oneforone
03-16-2009, 01:47 AM
If Evolution were true. Why hasn't man evolved again? Why would it stop at the state we are now? Why haven't other species evolved? Nothing has changed in thousands of years. Wouldn't we see some kind of change in the physical make up of man or animals?

(IE: Fish growing legs, cows growing wings, humans growing gills, a tail, or a snout, animals learning to speak, read, write and drive cars.)

I think both Intelligent Design and Evolution should be left to the individual to decide what he or she believes. All that matter is that he or she has an open mind to understand and respect both concepts.

An open mind allows you see things from different angles. Kind of like the first time you tried to stuff the round peg into the square hole on the box when you were a kid. It took you a couple of tries to figure out to flip the box over to an opposite side and VIOLA! the round hole.

I think my high school psychology teacher said it best. Yes, evolution occurred but, not how we think. Man did not morph into who he is today. He just merely adjusted to his environment as time went on. The more he learned about his capabilities the more he adjusted. This lead to the physical changes in his bone structure.

The Old Downtown Guy
03-16-2009, 09:02 AM
If Evolution were true. Why hasn't man evolved again? Why would it stop at the state we are now? Why haven't other species evolved? Nothing has changed in thousands of years. Wouldn't we see some kind of change in the physical make up of man or animals?

Man continues to evolve. Human skeletons from 1000 year old European archilogicial sites are much smaller than we are today. The mere fact that modern humans have nearly identical dna to pond scum should offer some clue as well.

Noted Evolutionist Richard Dawkins spoke to a crowd of about 4000, mostly students, at OU last week. After his 45 minute presentation, he took questions for about another 45 minutes. It was one of the most enlightened discussions of evolution and religion I have heard. The first chapter of his book, God Delusion, can be read on his web site.

RichardDawkins.net - The Official Richard Dawkins Website (http://richarddawkins.net/)

Michael

Pray For World Peace . . . pass it on

HSC-Sooner
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I think my high school psychology teacher said it best. Yes, evolution occurred but, not how we think. Man did not morph into who he is today. He just merely adjusted to his environment as time went on. The more he learned about his capabilities the more he adjusted. This lead to the physical changes in his bone structure.

That's what evolution does. Except there's no learning, it's just who survives and reproduces. Physical changes in body structure and also biochemistry and shape (look up sickle cell anemia and malaria).

A fish doesn't decide it wants legs and evolves. If an organism is well adapted to the niche it occupies, there's little selective pressure and thus, less evolution. But introduce pressure and the species must adapt or disappear.

I'm not interested in banning intelligent design or creationism outright. If people want to teach it to homeschool kids or at Sunday schools, I have no qualms about it. But to teach it in a science class is to destroy the idea of separation of state and religion. What is there to prevent people from teaching flood geology in a geology course? Or the earth-centric view of the universe in astronomy? It also puts forth an argument for other religious creation beliefs to be taught as science.

Would people be okay with a Hindu creation of the world in science? Or Islamic or Buddhist.

citizenkane
03-16-2009, 11:37 AM
There is absolutely

The discovery of DNA further bolstered the theory of evolution because it showed specifically how different organisms were related to one other. Common sequences in genetic material allow us to see evolutionary links between such organisms.

Prunepicker
03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
If Evolution were true. Why hasn't man evolved again? Why would it stop at
the state we are now?

I was watching a show on pBS a few years ago. An evolutionist was
describing how it took about 12,000 years for even the most insignificant part
of evolution to take part.

Well, I did the math.

DaveSkater
03-16-2009, 02:44 PM
I think the whole world was terraformed by a great and powerful alien race hundreds of millions of years ago. Like current day pets and scientific experiments, I think they dropped in whole species to see how they performed. Perhaps they were performing cause and effect studies of global catastrophes, or perhaps the earth was a giant petri dish, and they were studying the effects of pathogens and anitbodies. Their galaxy was an order of magnitude larger than ours, (think: Horton Hears a Who) and we're literally like germs and virii. Several times during the process/project they would wipe the slate clean and start anew. (the great extinctions). The new species that occur and are dropped into the fray are genetically engineered critters, and are being studied for their various uses in whatever processes they're studying. 10 billion highly specialized human sized "anti-bodies" would serve a very nice purpose for wiping out, say, a tumor in a planet sized being. Or germs in an infected quadrant of space (think federation vs. Klingon's ala Star Trek style, or the Rebels vs the Alliance ala Star Wars). :fighting4

We're just in the maturation stage right now. They're still conducting studies and experiments and comparisons of which types of human "anti-bodies" are the most virulent, the most aggressive and the most cunning. :beaten_fi

As soon as they have their "medicine" another mass extinction will occur.

By the way, their God is the real one. (LOL) They still haven't explained Him away yet. So religion lives on, science is intact, and explanations for that pesky situation at Area 51 are given.

That's my story, and I got several other just as "unproveable" as that one. As did Darwin, and Dawkins, and the Hindu's and the uncounted other scholars much more knowedgeable than I.

To be able to imagine is the ability to create. And to create is what God did. And according to scripture, He created us in His image. :bow:

Perhaps we're miniatures of the alien race I mentioned above. Just much, much smaller.

08hybridok
03-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Just another quick thought/theory before I runn off to work:

If eveloution is the way it all started, what created the initial amoebia, or whatever it is we all started as?

Also I love a line from Joan of Arcadia:
Joan [scarastic] "It's a tree"
God: "Let me see you make one"

Which also leads me to say how can a scientist create things like water. I know from chem it's H2O. But how, with out having water all ready, can you take H & O and say, now mix togather and fill my glass with water!
Ot the same theory with Joan's tree.

USG '60
03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
God didn't want us making things out of nothing so he gave us plenty to work with. He also created the world so that it would take a long time and have to go through a lot of changes. He also fixed it so we would eventually figure out how he did. Why would anyone doubt what I just said?

OKCisOK4me
03-16-2009, 04:12 PM
IF god created the earth to make it appear as if it were billions of years old since that is what it is suppose to be, then all those shows on the Discovery Channel and channels alike are wrong! Unless they're trying to confuse us.

My theory of the 7 days is that it was a passage of time in accordance with god's view of time, which as stated above could be millenia. To put it lightly, maybe after those billions of our years, he decided the earth would benefit by putting people on it. Unfortunately we've only existed on this planet for 3/4 of one blink of god's eyes. The creator hasn't even taken a full breath!

If you haven't gotten a chance to read it, please read 'Case For a Creator' by Lee Strobel. It's in the religious section at Barnes & Nobel and a great read for anybody interested. If god really was a scientist, it would definitely make these arguments non existent..

dismayed
03-16-2009, 04:56 PM

If evolution is the way it all started, what created the initial amoeba, or whatever it is we all started as?

Right, and that is exactly why evolution and belief in God do not have to be at odds with one another like so many folks try to paint the picture. Science is saying that over time life forms have evolved from earlier forms and specifically common ancestors. But science can only go back so far. It can't explain what happened before the Big Bang for example... because how can you describe something with our laws of physics and biology for a time before the universe and all its laws existed? That is where philosophy and religion come in.

I think there is an unfortunate trend by some religious folks to paint anyone who believes in science as anti-religion. This is the main reason I wanted to comment in this thread, I think it is entirely possible to have both. Unfortunately, I think when Christians choose this battle to fight they are turning more away from religion than anything. The younger generations are very logically and science minded. When religious leaders put this stake in the ground and say "choose" many are simply looking at religion as some kind of insane irrational entity and turning completely away. The ranks of the adamant atheists are growing larger and larger with every generation. People who try to drive these ultra-literal viewpoints really need to consider the effect it is having on their religion. At the rate we are going just a few more generations and I think that'll be it. And I find that quite sad. There are certain questions that are not answerable in life... I think that religion and philosophy are an important and ever increasingly neglected part of life.

USG '60
03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Don't forget that there are perfectly viable religions that have no god involved. They function as "philosophies of life" and are about living peacefully and productively with other humans. There is no reason that the young people should turn against them. They will remain viable because they don't make ridiculous demands of the people.

willy_p19
04-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm not a supporter of ID.

Look, evolution is not a fact. I used the term very loosely in my previous
post. There are a lot of similarities but it stops there. There is absolutely

When I was teaching science we teachers were told to manipulate the
data, in classroom experiments, to reach the conclusion dictated by the
administration. Anytime you have to manipulate the data to arrive to a
conclusion then it isn't science. That's what evolutionists have to do.

What then do you make of the ERVs shared between humans and chimpanzees?

I do think it's odd, of course, to suggest that species cannot evolve over millions of years but can super evolve from the remnant 'kinds' of Noah's flood less than 6,000 years ago. What is a kind anyways?

Good to be back.

willy_p19
04-18-2009, 08:27 PM

If eveloution is the way it all started...

The theory of evolution does not cover the origin of life, rather the origin of species. You are confusing evolution with abiogenesis.

willy_p19
04-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I want to get my opnion in here, altho I pretty much agree with prune. I will say I believe in ID, I'm a christian, but most of all it makes sence.

If eveoloution, why do we still look the same we did 100 yrs ago, 1000 yrs ago, as far back as I can see pictures, we look basicly the same. Yes eveloution takes time, but how much time? We can create new dog breeds in just a few generations. Like someone said (Prune maybe) how did 1 orginasim become every living thing on the planet? I can see a dog/wolf mutation or something. But a whale and a daisy? Did ceation happen in 144hrs? I don't think so, day's could have been our years, decades, millenia.

I also believe science can back up ID. The Bible stories, I've seen shows saying how a volcano erupted and that was the pilar or fire by night & cloud by day, and the parting of the red sea was timed somehow by something (sorry can't recall the show now) but basicly lowered the water level at a point they could walk accross.

A whale and a daisy? Wow. This demonstrates how very little you know of the theory you don't agree with.

A whale cannot evolve into a daisy and a daisy cannot evolve into a whale. Simply, the whale and daisy have evolved from a common ancestor.

fourthworldtraffic
04-18-2009, 08:32 PM
This was tedious, fresh air folks.

fourthworldtraffic
04-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Battling,bewildered sensibilities. life is a twist.

Prunepicker
04-18-2009, 08:40 PM
What then do you make of the ERVs shared between humans and chimpanzees?

So what! There no link. If I've said it once I've said it a million times. IF
there is evolution from chimpanzees and humans then there will be a fossil
record. There isn't. Period.

I do think it's odd, of course, to suggest that species cannot evolve over
millions of years but can super evolve from the remnant 'kinds' of Noah's
flood less than 6,000 years ago. What is a kind anyways?

Good to be back.

It's a good suggestion. That's all evolutionists have to offer. They have
no absolutely without a shadow of doubt proof. That's a fact.

The Old Downtown Guy
04-19-2009, 05:48 PM
. . . . That's all evolutionists have to offer. They have no absolutely without a shadow of doubt proof. That's a fact.

Other than the thousands of volumes and overwhelming agreement from the scientific community, I guess the Darwinists don't have much. On the other hand, you have your holy book from which you choose some parts to agree with and ignore the parts you don't agree with.

I'm sticking with Darwin and common sense.

ronronnie1
04-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Of course evolution is correct (as opposed to creationism.)

Look, nobody wants to die, and nobody wants to think that once they die, that's it. God, gods, religion, faith, etc are merely human inventions to comfort us from what is inevitably going to happen to all of us.

My thoughts: If it helps you sleep at night, then by all means take comfort in religion.

Prunepicker
04-19-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm sticking with Darwin and common sense.

To be truthful, you aren't sticking to common sense. While it's true that
some of the scientific community agree with each other, they don't have any
proof. It's all extrapolation because there are absolutely no links to or from
any species. What scientists, who want to believe in evolution, must do is
participate in a very unscientific act called filling in the blanks.

Darwin, himself, said that evolution will prove itself in the fossil record. As
any scientist will tell you, it has never happened.

Why are you trying to bring religion into the conversation? You know I'm
a former science teacher, right?

The Old Downtown Guy
04-19-2009, 10:35 PM
To be truthful, you aren't sticking to common sense. While it's true that
some of the scientific community agree with each other, they don't have any
proof. It's all extrapolation because there are absolutely no links to or from
any species. What scientists, who want to believe in evolution, must do is
participate in a very unscientific act called filling in the blanks.

Darwin, himself, said that evolution will prove itself in the fossil record. As
any scientist will tell you, it has never happened.

Why are you trying to bring religion into the conversation? You know I'm
a former science teacher, right?

Prune,

The some of the scientific community you mention as being in agreement on evolution is about 95+%. And, you are correct that the fossil record remains incomplete. All of the scientific community agrees that it is incomplete. But, virtually all of this same group agrees that all life on this planet has the same humble origin, has evolved to it's present state through the process of natural selection and will continue to evolve as long as life exists on this planet.

The fossil search continues. There was less completeness to the fossil record ten years ago and there will be more completeness ten years from now. The gaps that you try to hang your unacceptance of evolution on are gradually being filled in. But, please don't go quoting Darwin on the one hand and oposing his universally accepted findings on the other. Either you believe he is credible or you don't.

I know that you say you have been a science teacher. I have no direct knowledge that you were, but I have no reason to doubt you. You hold the intellegent design view and for whatever unexplainable reason, your religious beliefs trump your scientific education.

Prunepicker
04-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I know that you say you have been a science teacher. I have no direct
knowledge that you were, but I have no reason to doubt you. You hold the
intellegent design view and for whatever unexplainable reason, your religious
beliefs trump your scientific education.

You can check the threads. I'm on record for NOT believing in intelligent
design. You've just made an egregious error of assuming. That's not
scientific, it's assumption. The very thing that scientists have to do in order
to make evolution appear credible.

Evolution has yet to be proven. I'm going to stick to the absolute facts
only because they work.

By the way, the reason I say I was a science teacher is because I was a
science teacher, also an optical physicist.