View Full Version : Can you live in a trailer in the driveway?

Zoedith
02-26-2009, 12:01 PM
We live in Oklahoma City but canadian county. In our neighborhood there are a lot of trailers parked in driveways. There is no neighborhood association. My question is: Can you have someone live in a trailer in your driveway?

Also wondering where you find these type of city ordinances...like parking in your yard or grass being too high.

oneforone
02-26-2009, 12:03 PM
This link should help you.

City of Oklahoma City | Neighborhood Code Enforcement (http://okc.gov/neighborhood/code/enforce.html)

FritterGirl
02-26-2009, 12:07 PM
If, after reading the NCE, as oneforone listed above, you determine there is a problem, you can contact the City's Action Center at 297-3525.

metro
02-26-2009, 12:46 PM
We live in Oklahoma City but canadian county. In our neighborhood there are a lot of trailers parked in driveways. There is no neighborhood association. My question is: Can you have someone live in a trailer in your driveway?

Also wondering where you find these type of city ordinances...like parking in your yard or grass being too high.

It's a city issue, not county so the link above should answer your question. I'm willing to bet it's against code or would hope so. Our city definitely needs to get more proactive with code enforcement.

kevinpate
02-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Code enforcement in OKC appears to be largely based on an actual concern being raised to the enforcement folks, strongly enough it achieves front burner status. In other words, if someone makes a formal request for action, they likely followup faster than if someone tosses a "hey, I was wondering if ..." comment their way.

Whether this is because there are enough concerns raised there is inadequate manpower to look at way less forceful inquiries or seek out issues on their own, or whether there is some different reason, I'm not inclined to speculate.

I've only met one code person from OKC face to face. Nice enough chap, but unless I miss my guess, he was way more than a tad overworked and given that he was a civil servant, likely more than a tad underpaid for his efforts.

Pete
02-26-2009, 01:40 PM
As a point of comparison, the city I live in here in California doesn't even have a code enforcement person.

They have very extensive codes (even around this very issue) but they don't go out and proactively enforce them. In fact, the only way to get any sort of action is to call the police, which most people won't do.

And even then, the cops will give multiple warnings and often a judge will throw out a fine in the rare case that gets that far. Very frustrating and the end result is that the codes are constantly violated.

hipsterdoofus
02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
What about in a van down by the river?

Karried
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
sheesh, I couldn't even leave my motorhome in our driveway behind our house!

Of course, we have Mrs. Kravitz calling on every Pod in the driveway, boat parked in the driveway, or weed growing over half and inch!

I can't imagine the city or county letting someone live in a trailer in a driveway but unless someone calls to complain... I don't know how it would be enforced.

kevinpate
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
If there isn't a Big Mouth billy Bass Singing Take me to The River hanging off the hood, I'd probably not even notice a van by the river.

Besides, unless it's semi-permanently there, it may be more of a JohnTV issue than a straight code issue.

Karried
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
True, ditch the massive antenna or huge satellite, no one would even know someone was living in the trailer.. right?

Zoedith
02-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Thank you for the link. That actually does answer my question. Actually it answered both of my questions.

sgray
02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
sheesh, I couldn't even leave my motorhome in our driveway behind our house!

Of course, we have Mrs. Kravitz calling on every Pod in the driveway, boat parked in the driveway, or weed growing over half and inch!

And this is the result of many many years back and forth complaints using the city as the middleman. It's present everywhere here. Look, there are legit things that people should not be able to do in city limits, but you have to consider this before taking action: make a list of things you do, or would like to do, with your own property. Every time you force the city to take action on people (especially when you don't talk to them first), you might as well cross one item off your list. Keep in mind, you are not the only one with the right to complain and fight for more regulation and rules. Your neighbors can, too. And it very well could come back to bite you in the rear when you go to put in that swimming pool, build that shed, or a tree branch falls on your neighbor's house.

So, while you may very well have a justified need to take action in this case, just keep in mind the consequences, just like karried mentioned the neighbor who now calls every time a weed starts to sprout.

Even if you do find the need to complain, start with talking to the folks themselves--they may very well take action and not end up getting pissed and retaliating back to you thru the city. I've had good success in this area, and then i've had less fortunate situations. For example, i've got one bonehead neighbor (the rest are awesome) that believes that he owns my property and everyone else's. He recently tore down half of my east fence when I was out of town and built right the heck on my property! No joke--I am not kidding!!! (Obviously harsh action had to be taken to fix his malfunction)

So, you win some and you lose some. But in the end, we'll all end up with less stupid rules stemming from "retaliation" if we at least give people a chance to correct the problem. (who knows, maybe your neighbor has a legitimate need for what's in their driveway and would be willing to plant bushes or build a fence to make it less of an eyesore). Also remember that he is the one paying for his land use rights--not you!

Hopefully you get things resolved and maintain good relations with the neighbors.

Zoedith
02-27-2009, 06:51 AM
I don't plan on making any type of complaint. My Dad lives in the same neighborhood and once received a notice for a car that he was working on. It was a 50's model oldsmobile that he was replacing brake lines on and the notice said all vehicles in the driveway have to be in working order. Well we were discussing the trailers and this topic came up.

The people aren't right next to me and aren't bothering me....I was just curious.

Thanks to everyone.

GuyB
02-27-2009, 07:20 AM

Obviously no one could live in your drive way with out your permission but the question is if they are in a friend or realities drive way that gave them permission to park their RV in the drive way could they set up permanent residence there?

DaveSkater
02-27-2009, 07:39 AM
What about in a van down by the river?

Motivational!