View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories….revisited

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Redskins/General
03-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Hey, all kidding aside.....has anyone heard from soonergirl? I think it's time we inform red/gen that fun is fun but this is kinda a group matter and he should apologize to her or something....i don't really care if you get on my case dude but soonergirl is kinda like the little sister in the group....a real man would take the time to apologize to her and the group and we'll just keep going forward....but, since you have some capitol hill blood or something matter you don't know how to apologize...you start off by saying ................................................i' m sorry.............................................
We've had a great time with this thread and we don't have anyone to plan the monthly get togethers......
Your absolutely right, and I do in all seriousness want to apologize to Soonergirl26. What I thought was funny and mystical struck a bad note with some. I DO sincerely apologize to you Soonergirl and hope that you can forget whatever happened that night. Your group NEEDS you and you can be assured I will never say anything to you or about you because I understand your quite some gal, which is apparent by all the request for your return. In my defense, to any and all, not one time did I make threats or malicious advances towards anyone. I was trying to be funny and apparently I'm not. Again, please return Soonergirl, these people need you and I do apologize from the bottom of my heart if I'm the one keeping you away..Red/Gen

Redskins/General
03-08-2009, 01:46 AM
R/G isn't the problem. She made that pretty clear in some PM's. Personally,
I think she has more on her plate than most of us and just can't
visit. You know how those youngsters are.

Just forget that I'm going to punch R/G in the nose and wait. :LolLolLol
Hey, I had an offer in the mail to take a free karate lesson. That makes me
dangerous.

Prune
Just remember Mr. Picker, I once beat a guys fist half to death with my jaw, my nose and the top of my head!! LOL

CarltonsKeeper
03-08-2009, 06:37 AM
That's the Camaro I was telling Gen64 about. It's the one they've made to
compete with the new Mustang. Can't you get it with the L2 'Vette engine
with close to 600hp? The 'Stang runs about $70,000. The Camaro is close to
it.
I've read that the Camaro will start with a V-6 and then a 400. h.p., 425 h.p. and yes the 600 h.p. Also just read this month where Ford IS producing a full production GT Mustang 540 h.p. HARD loaded for $46,950. They must not plan on Mopar or G.M. getting too far ahead of them, if any at all.

Prunepicker
03-08-2009, 07:12 AM
I've read that the Camaro will start with a V-6 and then a 400. h.p., 425 h.p.
and yes the 600 h.p. Also just read this month where Ford IS producing a full
production GT Mustang 540 h.p. HARD loaded for $46,950. They must not
plan on Mopar or G.M. getting too far ahead of them, if any at all.

Isn't there a Dodge Challenger, similar to the 6-pack, in the making?

CarltonsKeeper
03-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Isn't there a Dodge Challenger, similar to the 6-pack, in the making?
I've heard that, but I really can't see them going back to multiple carburetion because of it's lack of efficiency and performance. But then again, it's nostalgic and it would sell cars, so who knows. Crazy, fuel prices like they are and back to building Muscle cars!! Go figure. But I'm not complaining.

Generals64
03-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Well Gen/64 what do you think of the "09" Camaro? You know it was slightly copied after a few of the older Camaro's but mostly the "69". I saw the one last year at the Texas State Fair which had been on the Hot Rod Power Tour!! These little hummers really trip my trigger. I think you should shell out some "mula" and purchase me one!! I want the 450 H.P. six speed of course. After it's broke in we could change the cam and injection system and posssibly some better heads and I'll keep it garaged, where it will be in good shape when you come by for a ride!! Sounds like a fair deal to me.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got back from the Auto Show:....CAMARO:.........pooooo.....the southside wouldn't let it go down 59th st.....It was stripped and just red with black interior.....Next:...............

Generals64
03-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Southside memories will always include trips we took as young men (and women) across the NORTH CANADIAN river to see if life was really better on the other side. only to find out that life was more expensive on the other side. The North side of OKC always seemed to be "Snooty" (sorry guys) but we could never find anything that was really any different. There were some great restaurants there but so were there some great southside restaurants.....I have laughed over the years because of what was perceived by both sides of town was that things were different......They were, we felt at home going to Cattlemen's after the Prom or Sweetheart dance. The old men on the southside whistled at our girls just like the Northside old men whistled at their girls when they went to Glen's. It always fascinated me when Mr. Hollie (baseball bat and all) would not let you fight or start a fight and when you left, it was mostly over. Now, we would go to the Split-T and that was a different thing...But now when you get older you realize you were a "Southsider" and didn't need to associate with those other kids because they didn't need to associate with us.....Loratab is kicking in....Hey Pruner stand by may need some help.....

Prunepicker
03-08-2009, 09:29 PM
...Hey Pruner stand by may need some help...

This pains me to say it but me and my buddy cruised the south and north
sides. We had only one goal in mind...

Soonergirl26 stop reading this post right now!

and that was... girls. It didn't matter! We were truly equal opportunity
cruisers. Short, tall, fat (er, not too fat) skinny, pretty or (not so) ugly.
Well, maybe not ugly at all. That's all we cared about. Hey, the south side
girls knew us. We were desperate! Not as desperate as the girls who'd
cruise with us, but we were desperate!

I can't, in good conscience, help you Gen64! You're on your own!

Now if you want to know which 7/11 would sell beer to minors...

Generals64
03-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Good Morning:............finally got the new birth in my family to appear....Long night.....hurt like H&%$....Oh well, gotta go and try to make a dollar...

Prunepicker
03-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Good Morning... finally got the new birth in my family to appear... Long
night... hurt like H&%$... Oh well, gotta go and try to make a dollar...

It's amazing that something so small can cause so much pain!

Generals64
03-09-2009, 02:02 PM
this pains me to say it but me and my buddy cruised the south and north
sides. We had only one goal in mind...

soonergirl26 stop reading this post right now!

and that was... Girls. It didn't matter! We were truly equal opportunity
cruisers. Short, tall, fat (er, not too fat) skinny, pretty or (not so) ugly.
Well, maybe not ugly at all. That's all we cared about. Hey, the south side
girls knew us. We were desperate! Not as desperate as the girls who'd
cruise with us, but we were desperate!

I can't, in good conscience, help you gen64! You're on your own!

Now if you want to know which 7/11 would sell beer to minors...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
just so you know, i've never seen an ugly girl....seen some pretty than others though.....good line huh?????

Prunepicker
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
just so you know, i've never seen an ugly girl... seen some pretty than others
though... good line huh?

Yeah! A good line... but potentially dangerous.

CarltonsKeeper
03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
ARe you saying it's amazing something that small can hurt so Bad! I don't believe I would have told that, no sir, think I would have kept that to myself!!

CarltonsKeeper
03-09-2009, 03:14 PM
That statement was intended of course for Mr. Gen/SIXTY FOUR!!!!!!

Generals64
03-09-2009, 05:34 PM
That statement was intended of course for Mr. Gen/SIXTY FOUR!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
yeah, you're right in every direction but, it still hurt like the Dickens.....I hate the feeling that drugs give you the next day though......

Generals64
03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I remember things that to us when we were young that were Not so important but those that we thought were really important I can't even think about it. For Instance....Got paid $2.00 to mow a yard...didn't get that if I didn't take clippers and clip around the house. Now, it's 50.00 and they use a weedeater..

remember the watermelon feeds the neighborhood use to have. now you'd be afraid to invite your neighbor. Or, you can't speak each others language.

My mom and the other women of the block used to pool their resources for the Friday night dinner. Some one would have potatoes and nothing else but they would bake Bread.. Someon had meat and so on. I remember the kids riding their bicycles to and from houses just putting together Friday's Supper since everyone got paid on Saturday and they could go Shopping....The Southside of OKC was a Great place to live....No one thought they were better than the others......Hmmm memories.

grantgeneral78
03-10-2009, 04:36 PM
I bet there are not a handful of folks on the southside who know the neighbors around them these days. Seems they get home go in there cave and they don`t pop out till the sun rises in the east.

USG '60
03-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Sadly that is the way it is everywhere as opposed to everywhere BACK THEN. The times, they have done went and changed. DAMN!

Rickster
03-10-2009, 08:02 PM
And still more sad is to think that nowdays will some day become someones good ol' days.

Generals64
03-10-2009, 08:16 PM
As I go through this Nostalgia thing I really don't remember any bad times. RICKSTER, I agree with you. But, I wouldn't trade my memories for anything cause I lived the South Side History.......I remember the dirt streets, the Milkman, the door to door salesman the Insurance guy that came around and collected his 11 cent premium....I remember selling pop bottles for 2 cents and sometimes for the big bottles they brought 25 cents.....I remember my first car and how I had to EARN the money to buy it. I remember 10 cent gasoline bought on the Northwest corner of NW 10th and Portland. I'm Southside and Proud of it and proud to be part of this thread wherever they put us....

SOONERGIRL26:::::::::::;;;WHERE ARE YOU?????

grantgeneral78
03-11-2009, 11:06 AM
And still more sad is to think that nowdays will some day become someones good ol' days.

yEAH THEY MIGHT SAY: I actually used to drive a lanborn vehicle that had a wheel to turn it with. I also remember when we actually had to consume things they called food in our talk box. ahhh the good ole days

Rickster
03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
As I go through this Nostalgia thing I really don't remember any bad times. RICKSTER, I agree with you. But, I wouldn't trade my memories for anything cause I lived the South Side History.......I remember the dirt streets, the Milkman, the door to door salesman the Insurance guy that came around and collected his 11 cent premium....I remember selling pop bottles for 2 cents and sometimes for the big bottles they brought 25 cents.....I remember my first car and how I had to EARN the money to buy it. I remember 10 cent gasoline bought on the Northwest corner of NW 10th and Portland. I'm Southside and Proud of it and proud to be part of this thread wherever they put us....

SOONERGIRL26:::::::::::;;;WHERE ARE YOU?????

Oh, don't get me wrong. All I meant was that as bad as today sucks to some people, kids will someday look back at today and call these days their good ol' days. I'm with you. I wouldn't trade my good ol' days for anything.

Generals64
03-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Guess I've got to go and shovel this huge snow storm away... i remember that when it snowed like this in OKC my mother would MAKE you wear a coat to school....I always thought a would work and eventually we would shed the coats and just see if it was cold. We were so dumb. But, I really do remember walking to Grade School in a Snow Storm. Didn't like it but I had to...My mom would walk with you if she had to......Still Alive years later the giant snow monster didn't get me......The kids now don't care...or maybe the parents don't care....I don't know.....Oh well. Rickster, do you remember when the snow would have 4 foot drifts in OKC...you're old enough...I think.....

grantgeneral78
03-12-2009, 10:56 AM
4 foot drifts and walking 5 miles to school.....hmmm I have heard this story at a coffee house once I think.......lol

Generals64
03-12-2009, 01:46 PM
4 foot drifts and walking 5 miles to school.....hmmm I have heard this story at a coffee house once I think.......lol
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Been there haven't we Rickster...I know Carltoskeeper and The Village Idiot have been there:...................BY THE WAY (HE WON'T ANSWER THE PHONE) TODAY MARCH 12TH, 2009 IS THE VILLAGE IDIOT'S BIRTHDAY/...."HAPPY BIRTHDAY" OLD MAN....

Prunepicker
03-12-2009, 02:18 PM
4 foot drifts and walking 5 miles to school... hmm I have heard this story at
a coffee house once I think... lol

I remember it being 4 foot of snow and having to walk 5 miles to school UP
HILL in both directions.

Prunepicker
03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
MARCH 12TH, 2009 IS THE VILLAGE IDIOT'S BIRTHDAY... "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"
OLD MAN...
Since when do old people, I mean REALLY old people, have birthdays?

Generals64
03-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Since when do old people, I mean REALLY old people, have birthdays?

That's ALL you look forward to.......:demonslay

grantgeneral78
03-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Been there haven't we Rickster...I know Carltoskeeper and The Village Idiot have been there:...................BY THE WAY (HE WON'T ANSWER THE PHONE) TODAY MARCH 12TH, 2009 IS THE VILLAGE IDIOT'S BIRTHDAY/...."HAPPY BIRTHDAY" OLD MAN....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IDIOT!.....was that politically correct?

Ackk!

Generals64
03-12-2009, 06:27 PM
O.K. that's out of the way...The Idiot is officially real old now....How about this one, there were two places for hay rides etc....on the South side...Golf Acres and who?????? got in trouble rabbit hunting one night in front of this place...They were waiting for us.....Buckshot hurts did you know that?????

grantgeneral78
03-13-2009, 04:41 AM
How about the old 2 story house that used to sit on the north east corner of 59th and may in front of the old griders. The whole time I grew up over by it, I never seen it occupied, then once they turned it into a spook house. That was a neat old farm house to bad it went away.

Generals64
03-13-2009, 07:49 AM
How about the old 2 story house that used to sit on the north east corner of 59th and may in front of the old griders. The whole time I grew up over by it, I never seen it occupied, then once they turned it into a spook house. That was a neat old farm house to bad it went away.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You been asleep????? That was discussed in the old thread in full detail.....the people that own both sides of 59th and may made sure the house would not be torn down until both of the people were dead. They had sold all but that 40 plus acres and then ended up in a Nursing Home and so on....I do remember people living there but then I'm beginning to remember Abe Lincoln.....

grantgeneral78
03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You been asleep????? That was discussed in the old thread in full detail.....the people that own both sides of 59th and may made sure the house would not be torn down until both of the people were dead. They had sold all but that 40 plus acres and then ended up in a Nursing Home and so on....I do remember people living there but then I'm beginning to remember Abe Lincoln.....

Oh Okkkkkk......I just got scolded by my elder!!

Guess I must have missed that post .....remember it got DELETED!

:LolLolLol

Generals64
03-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Oh Okkkkkk......I just got scolded by my elder!!

Guess I must have missed that post .....remember it got DELETED!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
You are so Wrong:.....it got Karried Away.......I go and check on us every day...we're still there and still hold the record for replies.....Yee-Haw...

Prunepicker
03-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Oh Okkkkkk... I just got scolded by my elder!

You mean EXTREME elder. Like ancient, fossil, old timer, old f...

grantgeneral78
03-14-2009, 05:12 AM
You mean EXTREME elder. Like ancient, fossil, old timer, old f...

Well I was attempting in a not so blatant manner to get my personal opinion across, without being harsh or extreme in judgment of the elderly person who attempted the forcefull thrusting of verbal communcation swords in my direction.

Ok enough BS.....YUP!

Generals64
03-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Well I was attempting in a not so blatant manner to get my personal opinion across, without being harsh or extreme in judgment of the elderly person who attempted the forcefull thrusting of verbal communcation swords in my direction.

Ok enough BS.....YUP!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey boy, your wife wrote that.....I'm sure.....

Prunepicker
03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Shall we have the South side Memories get together at Coit's 2500 S
Western, on March 28, at 1:30pm? Is that good with everyone?

Generals64
03-15-2009, 12:06 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Works for me.....everyone send out a PM to anyone that wants to come....

Prunepicker
03-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Here's the official announcement!

Coit's
2500 S. Western
March 28th at 1:30pm

Generals64
03-15-2009, 03:05 PM
yee-haw:......we're baaaaaackkkkk!!!

FRISKY
03-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Does anyone remember skate keys? The kids in my neighborhood used skates so much they literally wore out the metal wheels. The skates were made of metal with a leather strap over the ankle. You used a skate key to clamp the front to the toe of your shoe.

Later, we used old skates and a piece of 1”x 6” wood to make skate boards.

The resulting scrapes were fixed with iodine and a plain Band-Aid that didn’t have cartoon characters printed on it.

Generals64
03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Does anyone remember skate keys? The kids in my neighborhood used skates so much they literally wore out the metal wheels. The skates were made of metal with a leather strap over the ankle. You used a skate key to clamp the front to the toe of your shoe.

The resulting scrapes were fixed with iodine and a plain Band-Aid that didn’t have cartoon characters printed on it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
remember them well...boy, just think how cool you would have been had you had cartoons on your Band-aid.....You know, the one that pulled the hair right out....And everyone laughed.....

Rickster
03-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Coits, March 28th 1:30. Check.

I remember these skates very well. I also remember the skate boards back then. They were more narrow than nowadays. And we didn't do all the crazy stuff on them kids do today. But we did enough to get ourselves hurt now and then. LOL

grantgeneral78
03-16-2009, 07:17 PM

I remember these skates very well. I also remember the skate boards back then. They were more narrow than nowadays. And we didn't do all the crazy stuff on them kids do today. But we did enough to get ourselves hurt now and then. LOL

Yeah and it really hurt when they pulled you on a bike down may avenue and you took a spill at 100 billion miles an hour!
:dizzy:

Generals64
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM

I posted this before but, when I wa with TG&Y iln the Sporting goods I bought Water Skis from Charlie Nash of Nash water Skis. Every time they tried something new Charlie would send us a sample. It seemed we were a rather large account for him and he used us as a sounding board. He sent me a sample on a board with skates on it. His phone conversation was full of excitement on his new adventure. I told him (my infinite wisdom) he was "Crazy" and it would never work. Yes, it was a more narrow board with roller skates on it. He laugh and said just watch, the kids are going crazy over this out here (California)...O.K. he did and is doing very well....Not me, I'd break both legs and arms if I got on one of those....

grantgeneral78
03-16-2009, 07:42 PM
When I went to Jefferson Middle School we built a mosaic to hang on the wall, it took us all year to make it. -I just wonder if it is still there or not. Our teacher was so itchy with his trigger finger, we have a last day of school party with all the goodies. He said if someone would take 2 swats they got the surprise gift and the rest of the goodies...guess who stood up! Went into the hall and 2 smacks rattled the wallpaper, and the stupid prize was a statesman stuffed pillow sheesh...did feel good to sit on though.

Generals64
03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
When I went to Jefferson Middle School we built a mosaic to hang on the wall, it took us all year to make it. -I just wonder if it is still there or not. Our teacher was so itchy with his trigger finger, we have a last day of school party with all the goodies. He said if someone would take 2 swats they got the surprise gift and the rest of the goodies...guess who stood up! Went into the hall and 2 smacks rattled the wallpaper, and the stupid prize was a statesman stuffed pillow sheesh...did feel good to sit on though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Bubba, it's still hanging....saw it last week...remember the wife teaches there.....

grantgeneral78
03-17-2009, 10:19 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Bubba, it's still hanging....saw it last week...remember the wife teaches there.....

Oh well good, I will tell Bubba you seen it then.

OKCWINO
03-17-2009, 01:21 PM

Do you remember someone streaking at Jefferson back about that time?

Prunepicker
03-17-2009, 06:24 PM

When I went to Jefferson there were dozens of cases of streaking every day
in the gym.

MonkeyBiz6903
03-17-2009, 08:20 PM
How can you have a get together w/o Soonergirl?:whiteflag

grantgeneral78
03-17-2009, 08:36 PM

yup I do was that you wino? hahahahaha

grantgeneral78
03-17-2009, 08:38 PM
How can you have a get together w/o Soonergirl?:whiteflag

Maybe she wants a invite?

Prunepicker
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Hey, Gen64 has reserved the room at Coit's!

Let's fill'er up!

Generals64
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Official invitation:.................to:.....soonergirl26.. .....you "young lady" are officially invited to a luncheon of some of the finest cuisine known to man kind...where....coit's drive-in ...25th and s. Western at 1:30 p.m. ON SATURDAY MARCH 28TH, 2009 .......................be there......please......

papaOU
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
There was also a slot-car track at 25th and walker. Anyone remember the dances at the Lions Club, IOOF Hall, National Guard Armory???????

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
03-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Looks like someone new. papaOU what highschool did you go to?

Prunepicker
03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Official invitation... to... soonergirl26... you "young lady" are officially invited
to a luncheon of some of the finest cuisine known to man kind... where...
coit's drive-in... 25th and s. Western at 1:30 p.m. ON SATURDAY MARCH
28TH, 2009... be there... please...

I hope she gets the invite.

Bobby821
03-18-2009, 01:16 PM

I say the meeting be held at Kiesperts instead !!