View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories….revisited

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Rickster
02-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Note the confused look on my face.

grantgeneral78
02-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Beats me. I never was good at pop quizs.

Ok answer is: Darryls garage on exchange
horton motors on 29th and agnew
Warrens garage on 15th and agnew
the machine shop on 29th and independance
Darryls garage by sonic on 29th

finally stumped the grand ole wizard 64

mark this day down in infamy

:numchucks

USG '60
02-28-2009, 06:41 AM
The one on exchange was on the north east corner of penn in a old filing station. That is where Leroy's was, that's what you mean, isn't it?

Generals64
02-28-2009, 07:01 AM
That is where Leroy's was, that's what you mean, isn't it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought Leroy's was there also...isn't that by that elementary school?...That building has been torn down ....correct???? Man, General78 you now have me with my thinking cap on....What was the name of the Lumber yard on Exchange and where was it located?????You can ask for help if you want to.......probably have to call your Grandparents on this one. I bought it out when it got to the last weeek...about killed me loading all that lumber etc.....

Generals64
02-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Hey General78:..........Did you know who "Wild Bill" McAlister was? and where did he live???? and what was his profession....you should know this one if not Lady77's dad will.....

southgirl
02-28-2009, 07:10 AM
What was the name of that elementry school I havent been there in years.

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 08:06 AM
I thought Leroy's was there also...isn't that by that elementary school?...That building has been torn down ....correct???? Man, General78 you now have me with my thinking cap on....What was the name of the Lumber yard on Exchange and where was it located?????You can ask for help if you want to.......probably have to call your Grandparents on this one. I bought it out when it got to the last weeek...about killed me loading all that lumber etc.....
Stockyards lumber, do you remember who the owner was and the son's name!

Redskins/General
02-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Could that have been "Stock Yards Lumber?" Ed Schroeder Dad to Mike Schroeder both deceased now?

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Two I think:......Been wrestling with dog though...He weighs in at 72 pounds and 12 months old...He was winning when I got back on here. 1/2 Pit Bull and 1/2 American Bull dog....You are about the only one I know that remembered the Trap Door under the stage.....When they were closing the school down I went up there for my wife some things for school and they took me to a Basement right by the stairs closet to the Office.....It was FULL of old trophies ( ya think) that were not on display. I'm really glad I didn't know that it was there I'd been in more trouble.....Probably graduated with you.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They use to hold classes in that "basement" your talking about!! You could duck your head just a little and follow the tunnels underneath a large portion of the school! It's purpose (tunnels) were for housing the utilitie's like water and gas pipes etc. I was a teachers aid in that basement one semester!

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 09:30 AM
They use to hold classes in that "basement" your talking about!! You could duck your head just a little and follow the tunnels underneath a large portion of the school! It's purpose (tunnels) were for housing the utilitie's like water and gas pipes etc. I was a teachers aid in that basement one semester!

USG '60
02-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Sutherland's

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 09:57 AM

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 10:07 AM
I remember "Stock Yards Lumber" when it was on the north side of exchange across the street from the Cattlemens Restaurant, maybe just a little bit east, anyone else? This was in 1962 or 3?

Redskins/General
02-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Sutherland's was at the east end of the Exchange Bridge on the north side down under and Stock Yards Lumber was west of Penn on Exchange across from Cattlemen's Drive In, would that be about right?

Generals64
02-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Man, you two guys should have pegged that one.....Exchange Ave. Lumber....Was father-in-law to Coy Ferguson....Shut down in 1970.........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al Right Trivia fans (General78):......................
1. How many businesses did Conway Twitty have in South OKC (other than Singing) and what and where were they????
2. What was El Chico (in OKC) before it was El Chico? and how many locations were there?????
Anybody can come up with the answers....I just can't let '78 beat me down????by the way '78 the answer to my earlier question to you?????

See Ya next time:..........Generals64

Generals64
02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey General78:..........Did you know who "Wild Bill" McAlister was? and where did he live???? and what was his profession....you should know this one if not Lady77's dad will.....

'78 what's the answer?????your Father-in-law would know in a heart beat...

Redskins/General
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Man, you two guys should have pegged that one.....Exchange Ave. Lumber....Was father-in-law to Coy Ferguson....Shut down in 1970.........

1. How many businesses did Conway Twitty have in South OKC (other than Singing) and what and where were they????
2. What was El Chico (in OKC) before it was El Chico? and how many locations were there?????
Anybody can come up with the answers....I just can't let '78 beat me down????by the way '78 the answer to my earlier question to you?????

In the early 60's to mid 60's it was Stock Yards Lumber and they went broke around 1965. It had either 2 or 3 owners with Ed Schroeder being the main cog. Mike and I use to go down to his Dad's the whole time I was growing up! Must have been before your time youngster.. LOL

Redskins/General
02-28-2009, 12:11 PM
In the early 60's to mid 60's it was Stock Yards Lumber and they went broke around 1965. It had either 2 or 3 owners with Ed Schroeder being the main cog. Mike and I use to go down to his Dad's the whole time I was growing up! Must have been before your time youngster.. LOL
Conway had 7 business's and El Charrito of course with one on 33rd & robinson, main and walker, Paseo location , 23rd and broadway and where else??

Generals64
02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Conway had 7 business's and El Charrito of course with one on 33rd & robinson, main and walker, Paseo location , 23rd and broadway and where else??
They had one in Shepherd Mall....Name the seven business's you think Conway had?

gen70
02-28-2009, 12:52 PM
The only one I know of was Twitty Burger and I used to think Twitty's Marina but, 64 said it wasn't Conway's. O-Yeah I had a Twitty Burger and it "sucked".

gen70
02-28-2009, 12:55 PM
They had one in Shepherd Mall....Name the seven business's you think Conway had?
There was one on N. May also.

gen70
02-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Does anyone remember what the "special item" was on the Twitty Burger?

Rickster
02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Dang, you guys are way over my head.

Prunepicker
02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Al Right Trivia fans (General78)...

2. What was El Chico (in OKC) before it was El Chico? and how many
locations were there? Anybody can come up with the answers... I just
can't let '78 beat me down? by the way '78 the answer to my earlier
question to you?

See Ya next time... Generals64

El Chico was El Charrito. The Sanchez(?) family bought them. El Chico
isn't anywhere near El Charrito.

I'm guessing that there were 4 El Charitto restaurants.

I'm slow but I'm old. I'm very sick, too. Nasal infection and Prunette isn't
much better.

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Can anyone remember what business was originally on the N.E corner of 44th and S. Penn?

grantgeneral78
02-28-2009, 04:03 PM

The only thing we could come up with is he was either a bookie for betting or the wdrunk that used to bug him.....am I even close?

grantgeneral78
02-28-2009, 04:04 PM

See unfair I was still in diapers then.

Prunepicker
02-28-2009, 04:14 PM

Hey 78,
Who was the first Oklahoma Turnpike named after? What did he do?

I'm rolling on the floor laughing as he rips the Internet apart to get the
answer!
:LolLolLol:LolLolLol

Redskins/General
02-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Los Tacos used to be on SW 44th between Rancho drive and Blackwelder! What business was in there before it was Los Tacos and before that business was in there what was the property used for!!

FRISKY
02-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Los Tacos used to be on SW 44th between Rancho drive and Blackwelder! What business was in there before it was Los Tacos and before that business was in there what was the property used for!!Wasn't it a small drive-in? I can't remember the name.

Redskins/General
02-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Wasn't it a small drive-in? I can't remember the name.
Yes, but what was it's name. It was a chain!! And before that what was the property used as, for many years.....

FRISKY
02-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Yes, but what was it's name. It was a chain!! And before that what was the property used as, for many years.....Wild guess simply because the building was built like a small ... Tastee Freez?

Earlier it seems like something was stored under awnings or on large racks. A used car lot? Although I don't know what large racks would have been used for at a car lot.

grantgeneral78
02-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Hey 78,
Who was the first Oklahoma Turnpike named after? What did he do?

I'm rolling on the floor laughing as he rips the Internet apart to get the
answer!
:LolLolLol:LolLolLol

Ok this one is easy. It is the turner turnpike, named after governor Roy Turner, and a little known fact is when they opened the turnpike it was to collect tolls until the turnpike was paid for.

Did it Happen!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
:ohno:

grantgeneral78
02-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Ok Mr. Picker......speaking of the turner turnpike what famous news man/storyteller was born at the end of the turner turnpike...

-i CAN SEE THE COGSWELL COGS TURNING NOW!!

Prunepicker
02-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok Mr. Picker... speaking of the turner turnpike what famous news
man/storyteller was born at the end of the turner turnpike...

-i CAN SEE THE COGSWELL COGS TURNING NOW!!

When we say the end of the turnpike we mean Tulsa, right? They think it's
the other way around.

I would say Will Rogers but he died 20 years before the turnpike and 30
miles NE of Tulsa.

I GOT IT!

Paul Harvey. But he was born 35 or more years before the turnpike.
I'm going to say Paul Harvey.

Prunepicker
02-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Speaking of Paul Harvey he died earlier this evening. I'm crushed. I listened
to him almost everyday.

FOXNews.com - Paul Harvey, Radio Legend, Dies at 90
(http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,502645,00.html)

grantgeneral78
02-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Speaking of Paul Harvey he died earlier this evening. I'm crushed. I listened
to him almost everyday.

FOXNews.com - Paul Harvey, Radio Legend, Dies at 90
(http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,502645,00.html)

OH wow your correct and OMG that is weird I brought that up and bad news.

That man ws great I listened to him all the time myself.

He will e sorely missed.

gen70
02-28-2009, 08:52 PM
When I was young all the older guys listened to Paul Harvey everyday at lunch so naturally I listened also. Thing about it, he wasn't a shock joc, just plain old reporting. I have good memories about him, sad to hear about his passing.

Generals64
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM

Conway Twitty had four businesses (southside) other than Entertaining:
1. Convenient Store;...Independence and SW 44th
2. Twitty Burger Restaurant:....71st and Western....Monument place now
3. Clothing Store on SW 59th and West of Blackwelder in the Strip Center
4. Twitty Trailer's :....Mobile Home Sales on South Shields.
He (Harold Jenkins) Conway Twitty NEVER had anything to do with the Twitty Boat Storage on SW 89th st. This is a completely different family...Nice People

Generals64
03-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Ok this one is easy. It is the turner turnpike, named after governor Roy Turner, and a little known fact is when they opened the turnpike it was to collect tolls until the turnpike was paid for.

Did it Happen!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
:ohno:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ah Ha...Misnomer...The Turner Turnpike was to be paid for and NO tolls collected once the Turnpike SYSTEM was paid for.....That is the law set for ALL the turnpikes in Oklahoma. However, they keep borrowing money against them so they will never be paid for.....

Prunepicker
03-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Ah Ha... Misnomer... The Turner Turnpike was to be paid for and NO tolls
collected once the Turnpike SYSTEM was paid for... That is the law set for
ALL the turnpikes in Oklahoma. However, they keep borrowing money against
them so they will never be paid for...

I'd like, more than once every 10 years, to be able to use H.E. Bailey without
having to slow down for construction. Is it made of Play Dough? Good Grief!

Turner is becoming that way. I've never seen construction on the Cherokee,
Will Rogers or the Indian Nations.

USG '60
03-01-2009, 01:49 PM
The projected payoff time on the Turner was to have been 20 years. Oh my....

Rickster
03-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I'd like, more than once every 10 years, to be able to use H.E. Bailey without
having to slow down for construction. Is it made of Play Dough? Good Grief!

Turner is becoming that way. I've never seen construction on the Cherokee,
Will Rogers or the Indian Nations.

Yeah but. The last time I was on the Indian Nation Turnpike (a couple of years ago), it was in need of repairs.

SE-76
03-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Does anyone remember what the "special item" was on the Twitty Burger?

pineapple slice, but it wasn't that special

grantgeneral78
03-01-2009, 05:46 PM
pineapple slice, but it wasn't that special

Pineapple on a burger? GROSS!

Generals64
03-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Pineapple on a burger? GROSS!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trick to his reasoning:.....if you ever ordered the Twitty Burger they put the Pineapple slice next to the REAL MAYO slathered on...Nothing between the pineapple and the Bun but REAL MAYO...Kinda like Elvis and his Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich.......

Generals64
03-01-2009, 07:07 PM
The projected payoff time on the Turner was to have been 20 years. Oh my....
================================================== ==========
projected time of 20 years was changed when the toll through to Lawton began and that once again put the turnpike authority in debt.....have to collect tolls to pay off the next project and then maintenance and then so on and so on....I have often wondered why there is a toll in Kansas on I-35... I thought it was a Federal Highway?????

angel27
03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
best burger around imho, terriyaki burger with a slice of grilled pineapple, sweet red onion and a leaf of fresh lettuce... not sure what the sauce was and I think it had cheese but I'm not sure. Used to go to Interurban on SW 74 just for their terriaki burgers. Backyard Burgers had one almost as good for a while.

Generals64
03-01-2009, 07:21 PM
best burger around imho, terriyaki burger with a slice of grilled pineapple, sweet red onion and a leaf of fresh lettuce... not sure what the sauce was and I think it had cheese but I'm not sure. Used to go to Interurban on SW 74 just for their terriaki burgers. Backyard Burgers had one almost as good for a while.
================================================== ===========
You got it kid....I forgot to mention the Pineapple was grilled and quite tasty. I kinda liked the extra flavor...Huh????

Prunepicker
03-01-2009, 08:33 PM
... Kinda like Elvis and his Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich...

I'm big on the grilled peanut butter sandwich.

Prunepicker
03-01-2009, 08:42 PM
... I have often wondered why there is a toll in Kansas on I-35... I thought it
was a Federal Highway?

It's the same way with Turner and Bailey. Both of them have I-44 posted at
several places. Maybe it's the same way with Will Rogers. How can a
federal interstate be part of a state turnpike? There must be some kind of
legal mumbo jumbo that allows it.

Generals64
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
It's the same way with Turner and Bailey. Both of them have I-44 posted at
several places. Maybe it's the same way with Will Rogers. How can a
federal interstate be part of a state turnpike? There must be some kind of
legal mumbo jumbo that allows it.
-================================================== ===================
the whole thing is "Goofy"....If they (the state) accept federal funding then they can lay claim to the Turnpikes....However, the Federal highway system was "dreamed Up" and development began Under the Eisenhower adminstration. When Ike was in Germany he was so impressed with the German Autobahn and how there was countrywide distribution at every point and we (the U.S.) have under worked roadways that this became a priority for him.
However, Route 66 was the road that was dedicated for that part of the State of Oklahoma and the efficiency just wasn't that great winding through all of the small towns. the oil Barons etc. from both Tulsa and Oklahoma got the legislation to pass the Turnpike bill going towards and from Tulsa for what is now know as Turner Turnpike.

FRISKY
03-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Los Tacos used to be on SW 44th between Rancho drive and Blackwelder! What business was in there before it was Los Tacos and before that business was in there what was the property used for!!What was the answer?

Redskins/General
03-02-2009, 05:34 AM
What was the answer?
Sorry, forgot to answer you. It was built brand new as a "Taste Freeze" and prior to that it was for many years one of the "Southsides" biggest Christmas Tree Lots!!! Not a big deal, just a little trivia..

grantgeneral78
03-02-2009, 06:05 AM
On the north west corner of s.w. 25th and may what was the business there originally?

FRISKY
03-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Sorry, forgot to answer you. It was built brand new as a "Taste Freeze" and prior to that it was for many years one of the "Southsides" biggest Christmas Tree Lots!!! Not a big deal, just a little trivia..Okay, that makes sense. I could remember rows of 'something' and metal racks. I guess the racks held the trees and they stacked them on the northwest side of the property during the summer.

Redskins/General
03-02-2009, 07:17 AM
On the north west corner of s.w. 25th and may what was the business there originally?
Something like Marks Paint and Body or Paint sells I think!!

Generals64
03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Something like Marks Paint and Body or Paint sells I think!!
================================================== ==========
I think you're right......use to date a girl that lived on the southwest corner there in a large house....Can't remember her name....really don't want to as a matter of fact.....

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm new here and just wanted to see if this post went through

Prunepicker
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
On the north west corner of s.w. 25th and may what was the business there
originally?

The Holister Company?