View Full Version : Southside OKC Memories….revisited

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]

bowtieguy
06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't think that I can make it either. I got a little touch of food poisoning so I'm not much fun anyway. You guys have a great time. See you next month.

FRISKY
06-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Good meeting today!

Welcome to the new folks!

It was a shame so many of the regulars couldn't make it.

SoonerGirl26
06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Good meeting today!

Sorry I couldn't make it....it has been a long day!! Still got relatives here until tomorrow afternoon. Had 11 of them staying at my house the past 2 nights. Hope you guys had a good time today....and we had some new folks?? Great!! Hope to see everyone next month!

~~~

mireaux
06-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Okay.....I read all the whining about the "social director" neglecting her duties! I just got back from a trip to San Francisco.... what a great place!

~~~

what a coincidence,. i was just out there last month myself. Lots of beautiful girls out in that town...so many, that I dont know how any guy can call himself Gary with a silent R.

grantgeneral78
06-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Good meeting today!

Fantastic, it is good to hear some new faces were there. Hopefully nothing pops up and I can make the next one.

lavolil
06-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Does anyone remember the great bar-b-que sandwichs they served at the lunch counter at Jim's IGA on 74th? My mom won our first color tv at a drawing at the IGA there. I was also disappointed to learn that Dodson's Cafeteria closed, ( I've moved from the OKC area) I had all my birthday cakes from there since I was born - I sure would love to have their buttercreme icing recipe. No other bakery comes close to those cakes.

Generals64
06-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Fantastic, it is good to hear some new faces were there. Hopefully nothing pops up and I can make the next one.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
Hey '78:........there was a Wheel-O and a Gyroscope there....Too bad you weren't there...............Missed you.....

grantgeneral78
06-21-2009, 03:59 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
Hey '78:........there was a Wheel-O and a Gyroscope there....Too bad you weren't there...............Missed you.....

Dangit!....that figures. Yeah I missed not bieng there, gonna try and make the next one for sure.

Generals64
06-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Dangit!....that figures. Yeah I missed not bieng there, gonna try and make the next one for sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I told you that Sant would probably be there Saturday.....No, you wouldn't listen would you????

papaOU
06-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it....it has been a long day!! Still got relatives here until tomorrow afternoon. Had 11 of them staying at my house the past 2 nights. Hope you guys had a good time today....and we had some new folks?? Great!! Hope to see everyone next month!

~~~

We may have over steped our boundrys but we talked about just making the third saturday meeting day. Need to let Coit's know each month?

grantgeneral78
06-22-2009, 06:24 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I told you that Sant would probably be there Saturday.....No, you wouldn't listen would you????

Man I need to see "Sant"...he has been good to me!!:congrats:

Generals64
06-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Man I need to see "Sant"...he has been good to me!!:congrats:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, I'm old and Feeble remember:...SANTA sometimes comes to the meetings...PapOU would love to own that building but I can't imagine how much work it's gonna need....

papaOU
06-25-2009, 06:02 PM
If you were a child of the 50's and 60's you MUST checkout this website

retrolife (http://www.billsretroworld.com/RETROLIFE.HTM)

FRISKY
06-25-2009, 10:02 PM

retrolife (http://www.billsretroworld.com/RETROLIFE.HTM)I had to stop looking at that site...I was going into nostalgia overload.

Great site!

papaOU
06-26-2009, 12:14 AM
I had to stop looking at that site...I was going into nostalgia overload.

Great site!

SEE!! I told ya' it would make you cry..........:053:

Doug Loudenback
06-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Darn ... I had in my mind for tomorrow and was planning to come. What about starting a single thread for those meetings so that the date & time is easier to find?

bowtieguy
06-26-2009, 02:09 PM

What a great way to spend a few minutes of the afternoon. Thanks Papa once again you have outdone yourself. All of us kids of the 50's and 60's need to give a little time each day to recall all of the wonders that we have witnessed. Things don't change for the better, they just change.

SoonerDave
06-26-2009, 02:27 PM
There was also a bingo hall wasn't there?

Not until much, much later. The SE corner of SW Plaza was a "Kiddie City," which was a GREAT toy store back in the day. When I was growing up, it wasn't nearly so much of a problem area - we shopped there routinely, knew the manager of the Safeway, got prescriptions filled at the old McDonald Drug, and once in a while visited the OTASCO store. My mom bought cosmetics at the Merle Norman's on the extreme north corner, and we had pictures taken occasionally at the photgraphy studio just west of Kiddie City. I recall, if memory serves, a Stocktons, Zales, and Kips Big Boy at the far west end, with "Car Wash City" just south of the plaza. Heck, we used to bank at Southwestern Bank and mail letters at the ol' outdoor, self-serve postoffice right there in the parking lot...

FRISKY
06-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Not until much, much later. The SE corner of SW Plaza was a "Kiddie City," which was a GREAT toy store back in the day. When I was growing up, it wasn't nearly so much of a problem area - we shopped there routinely, knew the manager of the Safeway, got prescriptions filled at the old McDonald Drug, and once in a while visited the OTASCO store. My mom bought cosmetics at the Merle Norman's on the extreme north corner, and we had pictures taken occasionally at the photgraphy studio just west of Kiddie City. I recall, if memory serves, a Stocktons, Zales, and Kips Big Boy at the far west end, with "Car Wash City" just south of the plaza. Heck, we used to bank at Southwestern Bank and mail letters at the ol' outdoor, self-serve postoffice right there in the parking lot...Good description! I remember all those places.

papaOU
06-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Do you remember the little stamp machines that were privately owned and were in places like 7/11's. You paid more for the stamp than it really cost and that's how the guy who had the machines made money. Have not seen those in years until yesterday. A new one was in a 7/11. I guess those are for people who go and get money orders to pay bills and use the machine since it's convenient. 44 cent stamp costs you $1.00!! I don't know if the guy is smart or I'm stupid? One of those "I wish I had thought of that".

grantgeneral78
06-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Does anyone remember the great bar-b-que sandwichs they served at the lunch counter at Jim's IGA on 74th? My mom won our first color tv at a drawing at the IGA there. I was also disappointed to learn that Dodson's Cafeteria closed, ( I've moved from the OKC area) I had all my birthday cakes from there since I was born - I sure would love to have their buttercreme icing recipe. No other bakery comes close to those cakes.

I used to work at Jims IGA back in my teen years, was the most fun I ever had at a job. Amazing all the uses a cardboard box crusher can be used for LOL.

grantgeneral78
06-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Do you remember the little stamp machines that were privately owned and were in places like 7/11's. You paid more for the stamp than it really cost and that's how the guy who had the machines made money. Have not seen those in years until yesterday. A new one was in a 7/11. I guess those are for people who go and get money orders to pay bills and use the machine since it's convenient. 44 cent stamp costs you $1.00!! I don't know if the guy is smart or I'm stupid? One of those "I wish I had thought of that".

I actually have one of those....GO FIGURE!

Rickster
06-27-2009, 09:07 PM

Outstanding link. Hey, I have one of those coon hats and how about the Good Wife Guide, a must read for every woman. LOL

papaOU
06-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Outstanding link. Hey, I have one of those coon hats and how about the Good Wife Guide, a must read for every woman. LOL

Think you could get away with calling it a "coon cap" today?

USG '60
06-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I believe the term is/was coon SKIN cap. Except for media hogs like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, no one would think a thing about it. Well, that is, I would HOPE not anyway. People seem to thrive on being offended these days, however, so I am probably totally wrong. JEEEEZ

papaOU
06-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I believe the term is/was coon SKIN cap. Except for media hogs like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, no one would think a thing about it. Well, that is, I would HOPE not anyway. People seem to thrive on being offended these days, however, so I am probably totally wrong. JEEEEZ

Is that why Six Flags Over Texass no longer has a "Confederate Section"? Guess they have rewritten history concerning flags that flew over the state. Oh well!! It is Texass!

:ou2:ou:ou2:ou:ou2:ou:ou2:ou:ou2:ou:ou2:ou:ou2:ou :ou2:ou:ou2

USG '60
06-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Is it Eight Flags Over Texas now or did they add some faux flag in it's place. Again....JEEEEZ.

Generals64
08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Is it Eight Flags Over Texas now or did they add some faux flag in it's place. Again....JEEEEZ.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ahh, Six Flags has their hands full trying to think they are Disneyland.....Never could figure out why Disneyland didn't do something in our fair State....If they only knew how many people travel east and west on I-40 and North and South on I-35....The head count would be staggering...

papaOU
08-16-2009, 10:20 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ahh, Six Flags has their hands full trying to think they are Disneyland.....Never could figure out why Disneyland didn't do something in our fair State....If they only knew how many people travel east and west on I-40 and North and South on I-35....The head count would be staggering...

Just what the world needs, another Disneyland.............

Luke
08-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Just what the world needs, another Disneyland.............

Yes, indeed. And Oklahoma would be perfect!

Prunepicker
08-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Ahh, Six Flags has their hands full trying to think they are Disneyland... Never
could figure out why Disneyland didn't do something in our fair State... If they
only knew how many people travel east and west on I-40 and North and
South on I-35... The head count would be staggering...

A few years back there was a rumor that Disneyland/world was buying
property east of Shawnee.

papaOU
08-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Many years ago there was an effort made to put an amusment park in or around Stroud. Shot down real quick.
State also wanted to create a wildlife perserve in Lincoln County, the Deep Fork River bottom area.

Area residence and landowners refused. As punishment, the corp quit dredging the river. It filled with driftwood, junk and trash. River has moved a full mile south in the last several years...........

SoonerDave
08-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes, indeed. And Oklahoma would be perfect!

Although we never did Disney when I was a kid, I've done it three times as an adult with my own kids and we've loved every trip. Went just last month, and it was delightful. I'm not sure it would hold quite the same "magic" if it were as convenient as NE Oklahoma.

The rumor I heard growing up, probably around the time I was about 10 or so - back in '75 or thereabouts, that Disney was already buying property along I-35 roughly halfway between OKC and the Texas line. Hot rumor was that it was going to be called Disney Mid America.

Falls in line with another urban legend I heard about 25 years ago, that a group of investors was looking to buy the Dallas Cowboys - yes, those Cowboys - and move them up to a big, new, top-secret stadium to be built in Norman. (Remeber this was back when the Cowboys were reallly bad and Tex Schramm was looking to sell). The project supposedly died when Someone Powerful in OKC advised the group that their project imperiled a big downtown rebuilding plan that was in the works - which became MAPS. That supposedly caused an investor to pull out, and the project collapsed.

Luke
08-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Fascinating.

Disney has been known to use dummy corporation names when buying land so as not to tip off potential investors to their intentions.

Just for giggles it would be interesting to do research on how many different corporations (as opposed to individuals) own contiguous land in various parts of the state.

The Disney/Oklahoma rumor has been located in different areas. Here on this board, someone said Disney had bought some land out by Jones.

My family is definitely a Disney family. My daughter, aged two, has been to the Magic Kingdom three times! Before that, my wife and I went for our honeymoon. I had even been a couple times before that while growing up.

Our last Disney trip was in April. I got in free on my birthday. :)

We are already planning our next.

I'm a Disney nerd with books on Imagineering and the business behind the scenes at Disney. They simply do things better than pretty much any other business. We take family trips (from Del City) to the Disney Store at Quail! lol And we are pumped for the Disney on Ice show at the State Fair next month. We got front row seats. :)

Wow, I'm rambling...

Generals64
12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Fascinating.

Disney has been known to use dummy corporation names when buying land so as not to tip off potential investors to their intentions.

Just for giggles it would be interesting to do research on how many different corporations (as opposed to individuals) own contiguous land in various parts of the state.

The Disney/Oklahoma rumor has been located in different areas. Here on this board, someone said Disney had bought some land out by Jones.

My family is definitely a Disney family. My daughter, aged two, has been to the Magic Kingdom three times! Before that, my wife and I went for our honeymoon. I had even been a couple times before that while growing up.

Our last Disney trip was in April. I got in free on my birthday. :)

We are already planning our next.

I'm a Disney nerd with books on Imagineering and the business behind the scenes at Disney. They simply do things better than pretty much any other business. We take family trips (from Del City) to the Disney Store at Quail! lol And we are pumped for the Disney on Ice show at the State Fair next month. We got front row seats. :)

Wow, I'm rambling...

================================================== ========
thought I would throw this one back on the front page for the "Newbies". Frisky started this one when we had a little "Bump" in the road.....Thanks Peter and MMM...

Generals64
12-15-2009, 02:44 PM
================================================== ========
thought I would throw this one back on the front page for the "Newbies". Frisky started this one when we had a little "Bump" in the road.....Thanks Peter and MMM...

bump

Generals64
01-04-2010, 09:32 AM
bump

up

papaOU
01-04-2010, 11:05 AM
up

I made one trip to Disneyland in 1977. I remember it well. Spent the night in the hospital suffering for what was later determined to be food poisoning.

Remember now. If you have the symptoms after eating out it is food poisoning.

If it occurs after eating at home it's a stomach virus.....

sam greenroyd
01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Allan Merril was Yukon I think, Wasn't the Moore dealership Williams Kilpatrick, then Gene Williams and then David Stanley???

Yes, in that order but before Williams Kilpatrick it was Southland chevrolet

Generals64
01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Yes, in that order but before Williams Kilpatrick it was Southland chevrolet

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes and before that it was an "Old Prairie Field".....

gen70
02-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Anybody know what happened to Buchanans grocery stores? Any history or the like?

papaOU
02-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Anybody know what happened to Buchanans grocery stores? Any history or the like?

I went to school with Diana Buchanan. She is hard to get a response from but maybe I can get her to one of the meetings......

Generals64
02-19-2010, 07:28 PM
I went to school with Diana Buchanan. She is hard to get a response from but maybe I can get her to one of the meetings......

================================================== ============
When Fleming begin to sell to Wal-Mart Jack Buchanan (the father) and Coy Wright (Wright's IGA) as well as many other old timers (as a compliment) call Fleming's hand and the contractual agreement that they hand and took the money and ran.....Steve Buchanan went into the Cell phone business and was fairly successful in it. He ten has gone into the Real Estate and Development business and seems to be doing quite well....His office is located in South OKC...
but, they closed all of their stores......Fleming is no more yet Wright's IGA is still flourishing in Norman...
================================================== =========

gen70
02-19-2010, 07:53 PM
One of my brothers told me today that Jack has passed on. (R.I.P.) It was news to me because I haven't been in OKC for 25 years.

SoonerGirl26
02-19-2010, 08:10 PM
One of my brothers told me today that Jack has passed on. (R.I.P.) It was news to me because I haven't been in OKC for 25 years.

Jack V. Buchanan died on October 12, 2007 at the age of 86. According to his obituary, he was being cared for in the Meadow Lake Estates the last 10 months of his life.

~~~

gen70
02-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Jack V. Buchanan died on October 12, 2007 at the age of 86. According to his obituary, he was being cared for in the Meadow Lake Estates the last 10 months of his life.~~~ Thanks. My mother was in the same facility at the time.

Taxed But Not Represented
09-01-2010, 02:10 AM
Smile America!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes and before that it was an "Old Prairie Field".....