View Full Version : Bank of America

drumsncode
02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
I've been terribly unhappy with the turtle-slow service at the drive-through of the BOA location at Memorial and Penn for years. Someday I'll get off my tail and change banks, but here's what happened today.

I have deposited/cashed a half-dozen checks from Schwab in the past with no problems. Bear in mind that this is Charles Schwab, a huge brokerage firm that would only have issued me a check if I had the money in my account in the first place, so it's iron-clad.

Now, add to that the fact that the custodian bank for Schwab is BOA! I have an account at BOA, Schwab has an account at BOA. Not too risky!

Cashing this check was truly a no-brainer, but the teller said it was coming up on their computer that they had to "call" about it. I waited for about ten minutes, fuming at the ridiculous delay, and the teller finally emerged, sent me the money through the tube, and said, "Thank you, have a nice day". She quickly turned around and walked away, so completely rude, offering no explanation or apology whatsoever!

Unbelievable!

I've banked since I was 16 at various places, and this location is the most pitiful excuse for a drive-through I've ever seen. The tellers vanish mysteriously for far longer than it should take, and often a different teller completes the transaction.

I look forward to the day I get to walk in and close my account, and I can hardly wait for them to ask me why. I'll probably make the news for going on a tirade.

jsibelius
02-25-2009, 04:49 PM
I hope you do. My tirade when I closed my account did NOT make news. And it had nothing to do with slow service or having to call another (related or otherwise) bank about a check I was depositing. Mine was all about the fact that they couldn't understand the concept of PO Boxes, they continually screwed up my check orders, and then when they reprinted my checks, they reused the numbers they had previously put stop payments on (why? who knows?) I had 3 checks come back unpaid because of their incompetence and misinterpretation of the Patriot Act. I didn't bother to wait to close my account. I took my money away from them ASAP. They clearly didn't know how to handle it. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they went under.

oneforone
02-26-2009, 03:22 AM
If our government had any common sense they would prohibit banks from being any larger than a statewide or a regional operation.

The banks like BOA and Chase have made banking a pain in the ass for the average consumer. They do not care about you unless you have a 100k in the account.

I miss the days of the small town banks. It did not matter if you had $20 or $20,000 in your account they still treated you like royalty. When you closed your account they begged you stay. When I closed my account at Chase all they said was here is your receipt and a cashiers check.... NEXT.

I am currently with BOK. They go the extra mile to take care of me every time I visit. I am always greeted with a good, morning/afternoon and they always say Thank You.

OKCMallen
02-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Go to BOk or BancFirst. No one forces anyone to go to BOA.

bandnerd
02-26-2009, 09:49 AM
I second BancFirst. I've always been very happy with my service there.

Granted...my mom works for them (not in OKC but elsewhere) but they do good business. It seems MidFirst does good business as well.

OKCMallen
02-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I like BancFirst. For a while they were WAY behind the curve on internet banking, but they've gotten better.

Easy180
02-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Hard to judge how a branch is ran based on the tellers alone...Very few tellers these days who are trying to work up the bank ladder...High turnover because most are just part time while in college and could give a crap less and are likely working because momma said so

Management primarily works with the bankers who make sales not with the no make-a no money operations staff

Since I go to a branch maybe twice a year I'm all about ATM's, reward cards and online banking...Chase is high in each category so I'm a happy camper

FFLady
02-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Add the subpena for the Man in the corner office to answer to bonuses paid with bail-out money to these complaints....

xknifexfight
02-27-2009, 09:26 AM
my experience with BoA is that they took $440 out of my account without my authorization. It's a huge huge shock when you look at your online statement, and see someone made a counter withdraw..and its not you!

I currently bank with USAA. Far far better than my past banking choices(TFCU,FNBMWC, Fort Sill National Bank)..even though they dont have a "physical" location really.

kmf563
02-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I took my money out of there a long time ago. When I realized I was never going to make enough money for them to care about me. Everytime I went they treated me like the new kid at school. I switched to Bank of Oklahoma and have been there ever since. It's been about 8 years now and I haven't had one single problem. Matter of fact, the exact opposite. They once called to let me know someone in India had stolen my account number. Intercepted the transaction and all I had to do was come in and get a new card. They took care of everything. Hassle free. I've never paid any fees whether my account had $5000 in it or $5. All the 7-11 ATM's are free so there is a bank on every corner for me. They are always very nice and patient with all customers. Once there was a guy in front of me that was very old and his wife had just passed, the teller called a gal over from an office and the two of them sat down and she helped him write checks to pay his bills. She smiled the entire time.

oneforone
02-27-2009, 01:39 PM
If you bank with BOK you can also use the ATM for free at all OnCue stores.

drumsncode
02-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Add the subpena for the Man in the corner office to answer to bonuses paid with bail-out money to these complaints....

I think I saw that story on the news last night! The arrogant bastard CEO took a private jet to Washington and took a fricking limo to the hearings.

Yeah, that's why they only pay a fraction of a percent interest on your checking account, they're busy pissing it away living like rock stars.

Jethrol
07-19-2009, 10:06 AM
I do not trust BOK. They took someone listed on my account as a "Pay on death" beneficiary ONLY and changed my account address to that person's address. The ONLY way I knew this had happened was when I got a letter that my address had been changed. Thankfully it was my brother's address and I knew he wasn't up to mischief.

However, I could NOT understand how this could have happened. So as I was asking about it, they said it was a clerical error. Unacceptable. I said, "Either A) This type of address change should only be able to be performed by a manager or someone else higher up in the chain of command (as opposed to a teller) and B) the software should have been designed to catch this type of error."

Their response, "A) It was performed by a manager and B) it wasn't a software error, it was a human error." To which I replied that there should have been appropriate business processes in place to keep this sort of thing from happening. They assured me that there were and this was just a fluke. I don't buy it and I don't trust BOK at all.

I've heard very good things about the credit unions. Everyone I've talked to that uses them says they're incredibly friendly and treat you like a customer, not a number. They're happy to see you, helpful when questioned and usually make my friends feel very good about banking there. I'm seriously thinking about moving my money from BOA to a credit union.

Easy180
07-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm fairly certain credit unions also make address change errors

Sounds like your brother received your statement but still didn't have access to your funds...Doesn't seem to be a major crime to me but I guess it depends on the person

mugofbeer
07-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Sounds like the moral to the story is that the small consumer will get far better service at the regional and local banks. The national banks serve a purpose but they do not strive to attract small checking accounts - they tolerate them.

Euphoria
07-24-2009, 09:24 AM
I use Stillwater National Bank. They have an OUTSTANDING IT staff and their tellers greet me by name whenever I walk in. You absolutely cannot beat that. Icing on the cake? I called the branch manager on a thursday to get a car loan, my paperwork was ready by Friday afternoon, I had the car on Saturday.

I stand by my bank, I can get better interest rates elsewhere but they've always treated me right.

Easy180
07-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Sounds like the moral to the story is that the small consumer will get far better service at the regional and local banks. The national banks serve a purpose but they do not strive to attract small checking accounts - they tolerate them.

National banks actually love the small checking accounts and go after them aggressively...They make huge profits off of overdraft fees...Why they give away *free* checking accounts to any Joe Schmoe

Jethrol
07-26-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm fairly certain credit unions also make address change errors
No doubt....I mean it's possible for anyone to make those errors but come on, who moves a PayOnDeath Beneficiary address to the primary address on the account? It was sloppy and I simply wouldn't put up with it so I moved and actually got a much better banking deal in the process.

Sounds like your brother received your statement but still didn't have access to your funds...Doesn't seem to be a major crime to me but I guess it depends on the person
Nope, I caught the error and got it all corrected before he got anything. Good thing we're on good terms. If this had happened during a long vacation it may have gone unnoticed until much more things had changed.

kevinpate
07-26-2009, 04:52 AM
I was a touch nervous a while back while IBC absorbed bought whatever Local Federal.
No longer nervous and no issues with them at all. Three branches about equal distance from my work, and all far closer in daytime hours than 'my' branch in Norman. I mostly use the one in Moore on 12th now, simply because it's an easy trifecta - ibc, 7-11 and wendy's

metro
07-28-2009, 08:35 AM
So if you know you're going to switch banks and you've hated it for 4 years, why don't you go ahead and switch? I highly recommend a local bank or credit union. I'd go with MidFirst or highly recommend Tinker Federal Credit Union. You won't get better service than from a small bank or local credit union.

SoonerBent
07-28-2009, 09:06 AM
After about a year of Chase pretty much screwing up everything they possibly could we switched to MidFirst. This was about six months ago. So far MidFirst has been great. They even actually call once in a while just to make sure we're happy.

drumsncode
07-28-2009, 01:05 PM
I just went to Bank of America today. I'd change banks if it wasn't such a hassle. They have the slowest drive-thru in the history of the world. It was three lanes wide, three cars deep. I went inside and they were slow, not particularly bubbly, and just a touch above obnoxious. Buy hey, they have a basket of suckers at each teller position, no doubt to remind us all that we are the biggest suckers in the world for banking with such morons. I doubt the CEO of the bank could even stand to bank there. He probably has a Schwab account holding all his ill-gotten gain.

old okie
07-28-2009, 01:08 PM
No one has mentioned Coppermark. Been with them through all their name changes; they are SUPER! :congrats: Have to second the recommendation of Stillwater NB as well. :tiphat:

metro
07-29-2009, 08:14 AM
I just went to Bank of America today. I'd change banks if it wasn't such a hassle. They have the slowest drive-thru in the history of the world. It was three lanes wide, three cars deep. I went inside and they were slow, not particularly bubbly, and just a touch above obnoxious. Buy hey, they have a basket of suckers at each teller position, no doubt to remind us all that we are the biggest suckers in the world for banking with such morons. I doubt the CEO of the bank could even stand to bank there. He probably has a Schwab account holding all his ill-gotten gain.

Why would it be a hassle? Somethings not adding up, either your not that upset or there is more to the story. Shouldn't take much time, certainly not as much as the waits you say you experience. One trip of waits would make it worth your time of switching to a real bank.

evh5150
08-02-2009, 05:45 AM
it floors me that so many people use banks. i guess many believe that since Benjamin Franklin invented them-they must be ok to deal business with.

my dad taught me at an early age that credit unions are for the people, banks are all about fees every way that they can assess them.

credit unions typically pay out higher dividends as well, and usually have lower interest rates.

Chase seems to be one of the better banks that actually offers various financial incentives compared to other banks of similiar national scale.

BOA is the epitomy of being the worst of the worst. the most fees, the worst service. Ive heard nothing but endless horror stories, have yet to hear anyone voice anything positive about them.

to the OP who has the BOA issue, why did you join them in the first place?

metro
08-04-2009, 08:52 AM
or still with them if they're fed up with them....

Heyuri
08-04-2009, 09:07 AM
I dunno, I haven't had any issues with BOA. I don't use them as my primary bank but I have more then one account with them and have been reasonably pleased with them.

OKCMallen
08-05-2009, 03:26 PM
They were robbed today in Leadership Sq...OP!??!?!

mmonroe
08-06-2009, 03:53 PM
I've had several bank accounts around oklahoma. I've had one in MidFirst, BOK, MECU, BancFirst, and Chase.

I had BOK in highschool and when I had faulty over draft charges, they simply removed them upon my request, no questions asked, and I was happy. What made me leave was when they did not place a stop payment on a website that continued to charge me monthly for a service I had already canceled. This was the time that my account got over drafted a little bit too much, and they would not replace the funds or remove the over draft charges. I withdrew my savings, and left my account in poor standing. Of course they wrote it off as a charge off at the end of the year and closed my account. And placed me on the checks system.

By then I was already in college and had already opened an account with MidFirst. The first time MidFirst placed my cashed check into someone elses account and it took forever for me to recover the money, I closed the account and just didn't bank for awhile.

Eventually I moved to Chase for banking and MECU for my savings. That lasted up until I changed jobs and my employer banked at BancFirst. I moved my checking account over as well as part of my savings. I still maintain a savings account at MECU but they're very far behind as far as online banking is concerned, but thats a good thing. I can place extra money there without thought and it's just building away and I never take it out. I've never had an issue with BancFirst. They're very prompt in everything they do. I'm very impressed. For example, they're online statements are more accurate than BOK's anyday. Hence why I over drafted a few times with BOK in high school. When I broke my atm/debit card, I had a new one in two days. Faster than a lot of banks. Whenever I do have a minor issue, it only takes on phone call to my personal banker and it's resolved, no being placed on hold or wait time.

Moral of the story, BANK WITH BANCFIRST!

Hawk405359
09-13-2009, 09:58 PM
I use Tinker Federal. When I opened a click checking account, the teller made sure not only to give me all the account info, tell me all the account info, but actually show me how to access it all from the web. When I had a standard checking account, they never charged overdraft fees. One of the tellers there even knew me by name. I have no complaints about them.