View Full Version : Dell to power call center with 100% wind power

metro
02-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Oklahoma winds to power Dell’s city service center
Oklahoman
BY DON MECOY
Published: February 24, 2009
http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-winds-to-power-dells-city-service-center/article/3348188?custom_click=lead_story_title

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/544703/medium

The Dell Customer Service campus celebrated its grand opening in this September 2005 photo. Photo by Jim Beckel, The Oklahoman Archive

Dell Inc. has struck a deal with OG&E to power its 240,000-square-foot customer service center just west of downtown Oklahoma City with 100 percent wind power.

Chris Scully, Dell Oklahoma City senior manager of environment, health and safety, said the move should reduce the facility’s carbon dioxide emissions by 5,400 tons per year.

"We calculate that’s the equivalent of planting 1,700 acres of trees,” Scully said.

The Oklahoma City center is Dell’s second facility to be powered entirely by renewable energy sources.

The company’s Round Rock, Texas, headquarters is powered 60 percent by wind energy and 40 percent with gas energy conversion power.

OG&E spokesman Brian Alford said Dell is among the first large businesses in the area to be powered entirely with renewable energy. The company buys renewable energy credits that allow Dell to claim its power is 100 percent wind-generated, Alford said.

Dell declined to disclose cost details of its agreement with OG&E.

Dell plans to cut its greenhouse gas emissions companywide by 40 percent by 2015.

Dell currently uses renewable energy for about one-third of its power requirements at its U.S. facilities, Scully said.

Last August, Dell announced that it met its carbon-neutral goal more than five months ahead of schedule through a combination of operational efficiencies, greater investment in green power and offsets to cover remaining impacts.

"This is going along with our commitment that was set by our corporate leaders to be the greenest technology company on the planet,” Scully said.

A celebration is scheduled at the Dell facility today for employees. Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett and Lt. Gov. Jari Askins are scheduled to attend.

metro
02-24-2009, 07:46 AM
I think it'd be even cooler if they put up some wind turbines right there on the property. Now that would speak volumes into getting the green movement really going in OKC. This is a good start though.

Lord Helmet
02-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I think it'd be even cooler if they put up some wind turbines right there on the property. Now that would speak volumes into getting the green movement really going in OKC. This is a good start though.

I agree that would have been cool. We switched to wind power at home. They gave us a little sticker to put on our window by the front door. You'd think they would want to make more of a statement about this program.

nik4411
02-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow, pretty cool stuff.

sgray
02-24-2009, 06:09 PM

No joke. Obviously, they are technically correct in funding thru OG&E, but the wind turbines on the property (or nearby windfarm) would make the issue "in your face" to everyone driving by or visiting. Making such a thing visible to the commuting masses on the interstate would be even a step better IMO.

Every time I pass the wind farms out in west OK on I-40, to me that makes quite a statement. Very cool looking, yes, but even more cool is that they have a purpose.