View Full Version : Where do UCO and OCU students hang out a lot?

TakeAShot
02-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm starting to get bored with Campus Corners so I'm trying new venues.

So beside Rokbar / Skyybar on Bricktown, where do UCO & OCU students hang out a lot on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday?

Not just bars/clubs, but also venues in general in edmond / okc on daytime, too. I'm only familiar with Norman scene.

metro
02-18-2009, 01:23 PM
UCO Jazz Lab/Hideaway??

TakeAShot
02-18-2009, 01:29 PM
That's cool. I'd take note on that. I assume that's for daytime only?

Midtowner
02-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't think OCU students really go anywhere. As best I can tell, it's a very insular campus. The law students, however, will occasionally rent out a club at Bricktown, and generally frequent the nicer establishments in town.

UCO students don't really frequent anyplace in particular. It's a big campus which draws its students from all over the metro. There's no Campus Corner equivalent, but there's a vision of eventually having something like that. The trouble is that the school is surrounded by churches and the Edmond city code doesn't allow bars within so many feet of churches (kind of dumb since they aren't open on the same days), so the walking-distance options are limited.

Hudson's on 2nd is about as close as you'll get to a UCO hangout.

As for the Jazz Lab, I'm 29, and the last time I went, I'm pretty sure the wife and I were the youngest people there.

TakeAShot
02-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't think OCU students really go anywhere. As best I can tell, it's a very insular campus. The law students, however, will occasionally rent out a club at Bricktown, and generally frequent the nicer establishments in town.

Hudson's on 2nd is about as close as you'll get to a UCO hangout.

As for the Jazz Lab, I'm 29, and the last time I went, I'm pretty sure the wife and I were the youngest people there.

Yikes, that too bad. I was hoping I can meet more people from UCO / OCU area but I guess I should scrap that idea.

But now that I think about it, I wasn't being clear about what I was asking for.

See, I'm very unfamiliar with OKC and Edmond. The only places I know about them are these:

- Bricktown
- Penn Square Mall
- Quail Spring Mall (Edmond)
- Baker's St. Pub (Edmond)
- China Town on 23rd

That's it. I know there are places here and there, but what I'm ultimately looking for are districts / places that have a lot of people traffics. Maybe OCU students, UCO students, young professionals, socialites or whatever. It doesn't really have to be a bar/club. It could be as simple as bookstores or cafe districts or whatever strips with a lot of restaurants/stores and a lot of traffics.

If Norman has Campus corners and college campus, I'm sure OKC and Edmond have similar districts / places. Somewhere...

metro
02-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Mid, depends what OCU TAS is talkning about. If talking about Oklahoma Christian University, near UCO in Edmond, I doubt they are renting out bars in Bricktown.

Midtowner
02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
I've never seen Oklahoma Christian referred to as OCU. They usually go by "OC" to avoid confusion.

Also, OC doesn't have a law school.

okclee
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Why don't the OCU students ever go anywhere?

It seems like 23rd street would have a different life if the students at this school ever stepped a foot away from campus.

Midtowner
02-18-2009, 04:01 PM
The law students -- we do go places. Lots of places. Heck, we rented out the Petroleum Club last weekend. Before that, a bunch of us were down at The Mantle, Red Prime, etc.

Those undergrads though, the emails I get tend to tell me that the campus life folks take their jobs very seriously -- that the residents always have plenty of on campus social opportunity. That's probably designed to comfort parents who don't want their kids around a lot of objectionable stuff.

I'd also imagine that the vast majority of those OCU kids are traditional college students, ergo, not yet 21, ergo, they ain't gonna be contributing much to the city's nightlife as there aren't a lot of places for the under 21 crowd.

jstanthrnme
02-18-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm an OCU alumn, and I can tell you undergrads do have a little scene.
Though I graduated a few years ago, I'm sure the spots haven't changed:
Cock O' the Walk
Red Rooster
Edna's
The Sip
Bricktown
Hudson's

Those are the bars,
Other place's you'll run across OCU students,
The Red Cup
Cocoa Flow
Cuppies & Joe
Sauced

Then there are the private parties that happen too, either hosted by a frat, or sports team.

jbrown84
02-18-2009, 09:00 PM
jstanthrnme beat me to it. The only thing I'd add that is new is Speakeasy.

TakeAShot
02-19-2009, 09:09 AM
That's a lot of places. Thanks, guys!

So what are the "busy" places on OKC and Edmond on daytime beside Penn Square Mall and Quail Spring Mall?

jsibelius
02-19-2009, 03:22 PM
My guess is with Metro - we're probably referring to OC here. In other words, where do the college students in Edmond hang out? The biggest problem with UCO is that it is largely a commuter campus. The students don't hang out, they go home. The ones who live on campus hang out on campus wherever...I guess. They're either in the dorms, the library, the university center, or the wellness center. Maybe Starbucks. They really need to learn to drink something else.

I don't know if the Jazz Lab is necessarily a hangout spot, but it depends on when you go. Try going on one of the Monday nights when the UCO Jazz Bands are playing and you just might catch some other students there. They play once a month during the fall and spring semesters. On weekend nights, it's more questionable who you'll find there. It depends on who's playing, I suppose. If they get a real jazzer in there, I guarantee you'll find students in there - albeit music students.

Midtowner
02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
The biggest problem with UCO is that it is largely a commuter campus.

At UCO, last year, 1920 students (12% of the university's 16,000ish students) lived on campus. 42% of all freshmen lived on campus. Most of those who don't live on campus live elsewhere in Edmond, many in nearby apartments which are largely occupied by UCO students. The number of students living on campus at UCO is higher than the total number of students at OC and 2/3 the number attending OCU.

Further, the vast majority of students at UCO (77%) are considered "traditional." If you only count the daytime classes, which are quite full, that number skyrockets.

I'm not really sure it solidly falls into the 'commuter' category like it did in the mid 90's and before.

I don't live in Edmond, but I was a student at UCO, I commuted from my home in Edmond, a 'commute' of about 5 minutes. Really, not a lot different than the vast numbers of students at OU and OSU living in off campus housing.

I can't answer for where the places to hang out are today because Edmond is Edmond and nothing seems to last very long there. The restaurants we rented out for fraternity parties are now out of business and the only real bar left is Hudson's.

The vast majority of my social nightlife was spent at the homes of my fraternity brothers or with them at my home. Someone always had a home well-equipped for a good time, so visiting bars was really not something we had to resort to.

There has been talk of getting a "campus corner" sort of development off the ground at UCO, but this has pretty much stalled out because of the fact that the school is surrounded by various churches and Edmond's city code prohibits establishments serving alcohol from existing within a certain distance of churches.

When I do go back to campus for whatever, Milano's has new owners, but that was always good and was always someplace I'd meet with friends. There's a new store on the corner of Ayers and University called the Flat Tire. They make some good burgers.

With Bricktown only a short drive away, most UCO students are going to head that way if they want a night on the town.

jstanthrnme
02-19-2009, 06:36 PM
How could I have forgotten Belle Isle Brewery?

Thats a really popular hang out spot for OCU students.

CuatrodeMayo
02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
The law students -- we do go places. Lots of places. Heck, we rented out the Petroleum Club last weekend. Before that, a bunch of us were down at The Mantle, Red Prime, etc.

:rollseyes:

OKCMallen
02-20-2009, 09:17 AM
:rollseyes:

Only the best for law students. :also rolling eyes

Original poster: you're looking for Western between about 36th and 50th, also including the Sidecar, Speakeasy and Ednas.

bandnerd
02-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Only the best for law students. :also rolling eyes

Original poster: you're looking for Western between about 36th and 50th, also including the Sidecar, Speakeasy and Ednas.

It was for a formal event. I've been to Edna's with them before, and other places that aren't necessarily considered upscale.

Hell, I even went to the Copa with a few women for a bachelorette party.

jsibelius
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
At UCO, last year, 1920 students (12% of the university's 16,000ish students) lived on campus. 42% of all freshmen lived on campus. Most of those who don't live on campus live elsewhere in Edmond, many in nearby apartments which are largely occupied by UCO students. The number of students living on campus at UCO is higher than the total number of students at OC and 2/3 the number attending OCU.

Further, the vast majority of students at UCO (77%) are considered "traditional." If you only count the daytime classes, which are quite full, that number skyrockets.

I'm not really sure it solidly falls into the 'commuter' category like it did in the mid 90's and before.

I don't live in Edmond, but I was a student at UCO, I commuted from my home in Edmond, a 'commute' of about 5 minutes. Really, not a lot different than the vast numbers of students at OU and OSU living in off campus housing.

I can't answer for where the places to hang out are today because Edmond is Edmond and nothing seems to last very long there. The restaurants we rented out for fraternity parties are now out of business and the only real bar left is Hudson's.

The vast majority of my social nightlife was spent at the homes of my fraternity brothers or with them at my home. Someone always had a home well-equipped for a good time, so visiting bars was really not something we had to resort to.

There has been talk of getting a "campus corner" sort of development off the ground at UCO, but this has pretty much stalled out because of the fact that the school is surrounded by various churches and Edmond's city code prohibits establishments serving alcohol from existing within a certain distance of churches.

When I do go back to campus for whatever, Milano's has new owners, but that was always good and was always someplace I'd meet with friends. There's a new store on the corner of Ayers and University called the Flat Tire. They make some good burgers.

With Bricktown only a short drive away, most UCO students are going to head that way if they want a night on the town.

"Traditional" in terms of students generally means 18-22 years old, a student who generally goes to college straight out of high school. "Commuter," in this case, doesn't mean the same as commuter workers. Commuter students are students who don't live on campus. A commuter student is anyone at all who drives in for classes. They could be coming from 2 blocks away or 100 miles away. Traditional students can also be commuter students. I do know there has been an effort to increase the number of students living on campus, but compared to other universities, I think UCO can probably still be considered largely a commuter campus.

Milano's is not called Milano's anymore, but hopefully, the new owner has improved the place. It's called Papa Dino's or something like that now. Flat Tire might be worth checking out as well, although it's been there for at least 3 years now. I do remember the burgers being pretty good, although the fries could use some work. I don't, however, remember if it qualified as a hangout spot for UCO students. But it would be worth checking out.

jbrown84
02-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Flat Tire Burgers is the #1 rated restaurant at Urban Spoon. Best Oklahoma City restaurants | Restaurant menus, reviews and maps on urbanspoon.com (http://www.urbanspoon.com/lb/46/best-restaurants-Oklahoma-City)

Yeah it's changed a lot.

It's always baffled me that there isn't much in the way of college hangouts in Edmond. For a while, Hawaiian Don's and Danny Bob's were popular (the latter was a dump though). Both are gone from what I've heard.

alan
02-23-2009, 04:07 PM
quite a few UCO and OC students hang out or study here at Vintage Coffee 150th(aka 33rd) and Western. as well as OCU and SNU students.

TakeAShot
02-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys. I'll definitely check out those places :)

soonerfan_in_okc
03-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Yikes, that too bad. I was hoping I can meet more people from UCO / OCU area but I guess I should scrap that idea.

But now that I think about it, I wasn't being clear about what I was asking for.

See, I'm very unfamiliar with OKC and Edmond. The only places I know about them are these:

- Bricktown
- Penn Square Mall
- Quail Spring Mall (Edmond)
- Baker's St. Pub (Edmond)
- China Town on 23rd

That's it. I know there are places here and there, but what I'm ultimately looking for are districts / places that have a lot of people traffics. Maybe OCU students, UCO students, young professionals, socialites or whatever. It doesn't really have to be a bar/club. It could be as simple as bookstores or cafe districts or whatever strips with a lot of restaurants/stores and a lot of traffics.

If Norman has Campus corners and college campus, I'm sure OKC and Edmond have similar districts / places. Somewhere...

lmao...quail springs mall is not in edmond.

jbrown84
03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Nor is Baker Street.