View Full Version : Grand Canyon

amandagall5
02-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but nowhere else seemed appropriate. We are thinking of taking a road trip to the Grand Canyon in September. Has anyone been there? What did you do, what would you recommend? I was thinking about the train from Williams Arizona, or the mule ride, but would like to hear from someone who has already been.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I can't really give you any suggestions but just wanted to say that I took my kids there when they were little and it was amazing. I wanted to take the mule ride but one of the kids had a broken arm so we skipped doing anything like that. Be sure you get a motel lined up. We had to drive quite a distance to find a motel. It was weird to be out there and see all the water trucks.

jstanthrnme
02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I've been for 1 night, which I spent on the North Rim. That wasnt the primary destination for that trip, so we limited our time there. It was incredible. That's why I'm going back the first week in April for a 6 night backpacking trip in the inner canyon. I absolutely cannot wait.

If your going to relax, I would go to the North Rim, it is typically cooler(a higher elevation), and far less crowded, and the lodge there is one of the classics. If your going for great scenery, hike into the canyon for a true sense of scale.

Forget the mules. Use your legs. Camp out. Thats the way to experience the Grand Canyon. That is unless you are lucky enough to raft the length of it...

CCOKC
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
I have only been to the North Rim for half a day. We combined the trip with Bryce Canyon and Zion which are both in Southern Utah and make a triangle of sorts with the North Rim. It's funny we kept seeing the same people at the different parks. Plus, if you buy a park pass you can get your entire family into all National Parks for a year and as I recall it is cost effective if you intend to visit more than one park.
National Park Service - Experience Your America (http://www.nps.gov/)

metro
02-18-2009, 08:26 AM
I've been to the more popular south rim, it's truly awe inspiring. If you're going to drive, leave early in the day to avoid traffic congestion. I was out there 3 years ago and believe they were working on a new mass transit line (train or light rail, I can't remember) to take in. If you go on the weekend or later in the day, this would probably be best. It's definitely worth taking your kids to see one of the 7 wonders of the world. You can also pay more and fly in the canyon by helicopter. My wife and I were in Vegas a couple years ago and we're going to go to the north rim (she's never been yet), but we bailed out on that, but we did see the canyon for awhile while flying above on our way back to OKC.

MadMonk
02-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I visited the canyon years ago and took the train from Williams. It was a fun trip. We spent most of the day at the canyon. On the trip back it started snowing heavily (this was in April). It was really beautiful seeing so much snow on a scrub desert landscape. The train was "robbed" on the way back. Once the robbery was over, the "lawman" forced the robbers to sing for the passenger's entertainment and the whole train car ended up getting into the music. It was a little cheesy, but it was good fun. We spent the night in Williams thinking that we were going to be snowed in (we were heading to Vegas), but when we drove out the next morning, the roads were completely cleared. That much snow would have shut down OKC for days.

It was a little surreal because 20 minutes west of Williams, it was warm, dry desert again. It was a memorable trip. My only regret is that we didn't take a mule ride down into the canyon.

bluedogok
02-18-2009, 11:03 AM
That is where my wife wants to go this year, I bought one of those HD/Blu-ray videos about the Grand Canyon which heightened her interest in it.

CuatrodeMayo
02-18-2009, 01:20 PM
It's been on my trip radar for quite a while now. Backpacking into the canyon is the plan. From what I hear, it's difficult to get the required permits.

The nearby Havasu canyon and falls is part of the plan as well.

jstanthrnme
02-18-2009, 04:59 PM
It's been on my trip radar for quite a while now. Backpacking into the canyon is the plan. From what I hear, it's difficult to get the required permits.

The nearby Havasu canyon and falls is part of the plan as well.

We got the exact itinerary we wanted for permits w/o problems, the key is timing, and a realistic itinerary without having consecutive nights in one campsite.

jbrown84
02-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I tried to get permits for May 09 back in September or October and was unable. I was trying to do Rim-to-Rim with 2 nights at Phantom Ranch for 6 people. I think they only had a spot for 1 person. You pretty much have to call 12 months out from your date. That's the soonest they'll take reservations and they fill up immediately pretty much.

Amanda-

The best things to do kind of depend on what kind of group you have. I recommend hiking into the canyon, but if you don't/can't hike, definitely do a mule trip so you can see the canyon below the rim.

On the South Rim, go to the Watchtower on the east end and Hermit's Rest or Hopi Point on the west end.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/2753588695_5aba95b1c8.jpg
Sunset near Hopi Point

If you don't stay at the historic El Tovar Hotel, at least stop in and see the lobby and maybe eat in the restaurant.

And at the North Rim is the Grand Canyon Lodge, even cooler than the El Tovar. It's perched right on the cliff.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/93/226797985_a6a98fd8d0.jpg
Grand Canyon Lodge Sun Room

Also if you go to the less crowded North Rim, make sure to visit Bright Angel Point and Angel's Window/Point Imperial

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/66/226832584_932e252ebc.jpg
Bright Angel Point

The South Rim is more popular because it's much easier to access from I-40, Williams, and Flagstaff. There's a lot to see there and if you don't plan to stay/camp in the park, it's the best option. North Rim is very remote. There is also a small town right outside the South Rim boundary that has several nice hotels and restaurants, so you can stay relatively cheap there (compared to NPS lodging) without having to drive an hour to Williams.

amandagall5
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Jbrown, thanks for the input. I dont think I would be a great hiker so think the mule ride is best for us. I am going to call them to see if they have any openings for our dates in September. I looked at the Tovar hotel, and also at some others that say they are in Grand Canyon village. Would you happen to know how much further away they are? One is called The Grand Hotel.
Thanks.

jbrown84
02-19-2009, 04:23 PM
The Grand Hotel is in the small town just outside the park boundary (Tusayan). It looked pretty nice and relatively new when I was there last summer.

jstanthrnme
04-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm leaving for the Grand Canyon tommorow. I'm pretty excited. Our hike will be about 40 miles, and will start on Sunday. Here is the map of the hike.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/mrk_cunnhm/Trip.jpg?t=1238723443
Its gonna be 5 nights and 6 days, with rain/snow possible Wed-Fri. Temps are gonna be anywhere from 15 degrees on the rim on Sat. night, to a daytime high of 75 inside the canyon. Gonna top it all off with a night in Las Vegas. Should have some good photos, especially if there is snow on the rims.

HSC-Sooner
04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I remember sharing the trails with the mule riders. Sometimes, the trail is only 6 feet wide. The mules and their riders usually take the outer rim while the hikers get to hug the wall :P

Karried
04-02-2009, 08:08 PM
That is sooo cool.. I love the Grand Canyon... but I've never actually been! A lifetime dream I have is to Raft down the river.. but wow.. that trip is hard to schedule and it costs a fortune... one day!

jbrown84
04-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Looks like a great route. What's the turnaround destination? It's cut off on the map.

jstanthrnme
04-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Looks like a great route. What's the turnaround destination? It's cut off on the map.

It's really not.
We wanted to spend 3 nights at Clear Creek Camp, exploring ruins, and going to Cheyava Falls (the canyons highest falls), going to the river through the narrows...but we cant stay at a backcountry site for consecutive nights, so they sent us about a mile NE. So its basically the edge of the map.

CuatrodeMayo
04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
What a great trip. Have fun!

kevinpate
04-03-2009, 04:43 AM
I know of a small group in Cali who had an interesting hike through. Worked it for two small groups, one starting from north, one from the south. At the mid-point, the drivers swapped keys, and each group went on its way.

After both groups were out, they met up elsewhere. I'm not presently capable of such a trip, but it sure sounded like they enjoyed themselves.

OKCisOK4me
04-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I went there back in June of '05 just for a half day visit up from Flagstaff, where my sister lives. It was really awesome. It had been my second trip there ever--the first being on the way back from a week long trip in California. Each time, I've truly never been able to partake of the majestic scenery of the Grand Canyon. I consider myself an outdoorsy type of person & I would like to hike down from the South Rim sometime.

If you don't have much time. I'd start down the Brite Angel Trail sometime and just go until you can't go anymore and know that you're going to have to turn back around. When I was last there I used some binoculars to look down the trail and they have some buildings and tents set up for the first day hike before heading on the trail down over the bluff (waaaaay below) and into the Colorado River basin. From what I heard that's at least 5 days of hiking (as previous poster--you lucky dog--above stated).

Even if you don't want to go down on any trails there are still plenty of paved rim trails to walk along. Just be careful. Get too close to the the edge and a nice strong wind can come and swoop you over. Almost happened to me when I was just trying to get a sweet pic on the very edge! S-c-a-r-y!!
I was happy to have gone back though cause pictures or even Blu-Ray movies can do no justice for the park & the memories needed to be replaced.

amandagall5
04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I have made reservations to go in September, we are taking the mule ride while we are there, and staying at the El Tovar hotel. I am looking forward to it, I always like a good road trip.

jbrown84
04-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I know of a small group in Cali who had an interesting hike through. Worked it for two small groups, one starting from north, one from the south. At the mid-point, the drivers swapped keys, and each group went on its way.

After both groups were out, they met up elsewhere.

That is smart! We may have to use that.

jbrown84
04-04-2009, 08:20 PM
If you don't have much time. I'd start down the Brite Angel Trail sometime and just go until you can't go anymore and know that you're going to have to turn back around.

Keep in mind though, that it takes twice as much time and energy to hike back up the canyon than to hike down.