View Full Version : What did you do today?

DaveSkater
02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm on another forum and a post with this same title just surpassed 300,000 views. It's by far the most active thread on the entire site. YRMV. Its as much of a training log as it is a confessional. :dizzy:

So, I'll start:

Today: 1 hour of intense skating in the bowls at Hoffman Action Park in the 30mph wind.
I don't keep Heart Rate data, but it was pumping.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Custody trial this morning with a young mother who was having her 7 year old search the father's home (where daughter lived) for drugs. After that, I waited around for two hours off the clock to congratulate one of my 14 year olds who just learned she was getting ONE LAST CHANCE to avoid being sent to the Wilderness program (bootcamp). I got lots of hugs and kisses out of that one. I suggested a "nomoretatoos" clause in the court order but they didn't go for that. Got a grin from the kid, though. Stopped off at Taco Bell on the way back to the office and spent the afternoon catching up on calls and e-mails, and drafted an Order for the Custody case. Played with the new puppy. A good day.

Zoedith
02-17-2009, 03:33 PM
My day is going to sound boring to some people, but it is actually fun to me....most of the time.

Troubleshot an oilfield failure for a mud pulse telemetry problem. Found out the field operators should never have used the tool the second time after pulling it out for precautionary reasons the first time. Cleaned my office.....finally. Emailed my fourth grader pen pal on In2books.com about a book he picked out for us to read and discuss.

Had some kind of microwave chinese thing.

Analyzed a Gamma tool for proper operation. More troubleshooting, collecting data, and analyzing data. Screwed around with Excel 2007, which is really frusterating me by the way. When converting my CSV file to excel the date/time turns to seconds. Then after correlating the time with memory data, the excel graph puts some odd date and time on the chart.

Now for the best part of the day....I get to go pick up my toddler, let him ride his bike (yay for warm days), and visit with my husband, who will be cooking me some kind of wonderful supper (yay for male cooks).

*Edit* Was this only supposed the be about health and fitness type stuff?

dmoor82
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Went to the Oklahoma history museum for the 1st time! and went to eat at golden palace chinese buffet UUUgh!! visited with family and now sittin back getting ready for a 14-15 work day tommorow starting at 3:30 am!

DaveSkater
02-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Health Fitness, daily grind whatever!

nik4411
02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Today sucks. I tore my knee up playing ball last night and am on crutches today. Going to get an MRI tomorrow, hopefully it isn't anything too serious.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Hope not, Nik. Hurtin'?

DaveSkater
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Owww that sux. Hope you're ok!

Midtowner
02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Dear Diary...

native
02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Did some intervals on the Stepmill for 30 minutes early this morning. Went to work (consisted of driving to three different hospitals/surgical centers). Came home & studied. Plan on going back to gym in a bit to workout. Oh, stopped by and surprised my girlfriend at work (another hospital) with a Frappucino.

Bostonfan
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Woke up at 5:30. Got a 30 min run in on the treadmill. Did a few crunches, then fixed a nice breakfast. Went to work. Worked a little. Ran some errands. Got home, ate some dinner. Watched a little AI. Going to do the same tomorrow, sounds fun doesn't it?....

nik4411
02-18-2009, 07:54 AM
It doesn't hurt when I'm just sitting here, only when I try to move around. I've never been on crutches before so it's a bit awkward. Oh well, I'll be good soon. (I hope).

Sounds like a blast Boston...whats AI?

Insider
02-18-2009, 08:38 AM

I assume that AI is American Idol...

danielf1935
02-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Morning: woke up around 3:15 am, thought about exercising, thought better, put on a pot of coffee, and went internet surfing.

Late Morning/Afternoon: finally going to start sorting through and cataloging my collection of Blues Albums.

Evening: headed to Phoneix Arizona to watch my son race this weekend

PennyQuilts
02-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Woke up at 5:00. Took the new puppy out to the backyard. Ate cheese. Thought about exercising. Didn't. Wrote several letters/e-mails to lawyers and parents of my GAL kids. Now I am getting ready for court this afternoon. Russian adoption gone bad. If anyone asks, please, please, please do not adopt a baby from one of those Russian orphanages. The poor things are frequently so damaged that they end up being abandoned by the most well intended adoptive parents back here in the states. Horrible, heartbreaking cases

Yesterday was more exciting.

Bostonfan
02-18-2009, 03:28 PM
It doesn't hurt when I'm just sitting here, only when I try to move around. I've never been on crutches before so it's a bit awkward. Oh well, I'll be good soon. (I hope).

American Idol. Not sure why, but I'm hooked. Probaby due to not having any sports on other than basketball. Come April though, it's all about the Sox. Hope you get well soon...

Lauri101
02-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Up at 3 AM, 30 minutes of WII Fit (10 minutes Yoga, 10 minutes strength, 10 minutes advanced step). Checked email, showered, at work by 5 AM.

Filed 3 grievances, prepared an oral reply and an arbitration brief. Listened to conference call about disaster relief, attended two new employee background investigations. Ate pizza for lunch while reading email. After brisk walk around Galleria parking lot read and responded to email, returned 12-15 calls, finished brief for tomorrow's hearing.

Left office at 3:30, more WII bowling, now contemplating dinner, watching DVR'd shows, bed by 8-ish.

Dang - I never put a whole day down before!

CCOKC
02-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Up at 7:45, stopped by Clark's bakery for donuts, at the office by 8:30 (yes I am a girl and I get ready really, really fast) staff meeting til 9:30, prepared financials and tax returns until lunch, had a 15 minute lunch at 12:45, did another set of financials and tax return, some 1099s for someone who was really late getting me the information, took the deposit to the bank, another tax return, dinner out, back at the office started another tax return until I couldn't think, checked the personal e-mail and this site for any fun news and will finish the tax return when I finish this post. Go home and watch Channel 114 until 1:30 and I wind down and get up and do it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that, etc, etc until April 14th. Does anyone want to trade me jobs?

DaveSkater
02-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Yesterday: No exercise other than a brisk walk across OSU's campus delivering a bid. Lots of driving, and work.

Today: 3 bids going out, and maybe, just maybe I'll get to roll Hoffman skatepark at 3:00pm.

Visitation tonite at the ULS Skatepark. Should get a nice 2 hour roll then for sure.

Lauri101
02-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Yesterday: No exercise other than a brisk walk across OSU's campus delivering a bid. Lots of driving, and work.

Today: 3 bids going out, and maybe, just maybe I'll get to roll Hoffman skatepark at 3:00pm.

Visitation tonite at the ULS Skatepark. Should get a nice 2 hour roll then for sure.

That will teach me to read backwards! I read the last sentence first and thought :omg: (2 hours??!!)

DaveSkater
02-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Yup, from 5:30 to 7:30. Rolled nicely (what I call skating)
I'd have like more, but homework and baths are in order.

Tomorrow 2 hour outdoor roll at Hoffman!

PennyQuilts
02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Got up at 4:30. Took the puppy out. Worked on my blog. Took some pictures of the dogs. Some turned out. Worked at home on reading documents and letters, made a few phone calls. Cleaned up the office and got my files in order. Spoke to several parents about upcoming custody cases. Looked up at 4:00 and the phone wasn't ringing so I worked on a Mariner's Compass Quilt block I've been wanting to try my hand at. Took a video of the dogs. Added it to my blog.

Ate potato chips and red wine.

ApplePearBerry
02-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Pilates, jog, ate a strawberry and vanilla ice cream cone :ohno:, work.

Zoom Zoom
02-20-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm bored and tired from pretending to look busy at work all morning.

OKCMallen
02-20-2009, 07:00 PM

DaveSkater
02-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Only an hour at Hoffman today. Work got in the way.

PennyQuilts
02-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Drank a glass of wine. Ate sushi (the cooked kind) and fried dumplings. Worked out with barbells for two minutes. Fell asleep. It is a good thing I don't smoke.

Lauri101
02-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Slept in until 6 AM!
30 minutes on WII- Fit, omelet for breakfast. Read paper, finished puzzles.

Now preparing tax returns for daughter and for me, housework and nap later.

DaveSkater
02-21-2009, 01:57 PM
What kind of wine ECO?

Me and my two kiddos went to the mall to stimulate the economy in the only way we know. Heh..... Lota walking at the mall!

PennyQuilts
02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Cheap cabernet. I used to have a nice collection that I put together in Oklahoma. Well, I still have it downstairs in the basement, er, wine cellar. This crap was out of a box. I'll drink the good stuff when I get home because then I will have something to celebrate. I have a nice Silver Oaks I've been saving.

DaveSkater
02-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Mmmmm. What year?

nik4411
02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
About to gobble up a few bottles of wine myself. Today sucked. Found out that I completely tore my ACL and also tore my menial meniscus, will need surgery and can't play basketball or any other sport for at least 9 months after my surgery. This sucks!

PennyQuilts
02-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Oh Nik, I am so sorry. That DOES suck!

I need to check my Silver Oaks to see what year but haven't been downstairs.

I had a case with an 8 year old rape victim, today. She was pretty anxious because she didn't know what was going to happen and her mother, who speaks only broken english, had some trouble understanding when we tried to explain. I showed Little Bit pictures of my new puppy and she ended up smiling and giggling the way a little girl should. She had lost one front tooth and was so darn cute it was unbelievable.

DaveSkater
02-26-2009, 06:33 AM
thats how old my sugarpea is....... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

DaveSkater
02-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Didn't skate yesterday but we did go shooting.
On tuesday I did manage 2 sessions. One at lunch and one after work. Total of 3 hours skating

Going back today for a couple more.....

PennyQuilts
02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
thats how old my sugarpea is....... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Yeah, I had a twelve year old, today, whose dad molested her when he was drunk. She lied through her teeth on the stand for fear he'd go to jail and her siblings would hate her. Charge had to be dropped. She was eight once...

DaveSkater
02-26-2009, 08:14 PM
People who do that to children should lose their *ahem* ability to ever do that to anyone again. Along with a lengthy jail sentence complete with a very large and very angry gay cellmate.

DaveSkater
02-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Today An hour and a half at hoffman skatepark, intensive bowl work, and then tonite an hour at my indoor shop skatepark.

Tired......

native
02-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Opted to sleep an extra hour this AM and skipped morning cardio. Went to work at 6:30. Went to the gym (lifted some, TM some). Did some reading. Now I'm on the computer.

PennyQuilts
02-27-2009, 03:57 AM
People who do that to children should lose their *ahem* ability to ever do that to anyone again. Along with a lengthy jail sentence complete with a very large and very angry gay cellmate.

The little girl earnestly told the prosecutor that her dad told her he'd get twenty years (the maximum) for what he did. So it "didn't happen." The prosecutor looked her in the eye and asked her, "Do you know who gets twenty years for this kind of crime?" Little girl shook her head.
"Nobody," said the prosecutor.
She's right.

DaveSkater
02-27-2009, 06:13 AM
I didn't know Guardian Ad Litem's took these types of cases ECO. I incorrectly assumed that you guys were there for the children in matters of divorce and custody proceedings only.

I understand now why the GAL assigned to my kids years ago wasn't as "responsive" as I thought she should have been.

Dear Lord, I don't know how you guys function. I would make a terrible GAL. Are you familiar with Denny Crane? LOL

PennyQuilts
02-27-2009, 06:55 AM
We get custody and visitation cases; some delinquency cases (especially when a child has assaulted a family member); abuse and neglect cases; truancy cases; Children in need of services (kids with health or mental health problems, substance abuse problems, dysfunctional families). These are the main kinds. The idea is to give the kids a voice in proceedings that affect them and to kind of run interference in court if the parents, for whatever reason, aren't putting the kids first. Sometimes a judge wants a GAL to run interference with a prosecutor if they are worried about the child getting railroaded. I am not saying all parents in C & V overlook their kids by any means, but they definitely have other things on their plates that sometimes cause them to lose sight of the child's best interest. Or there may be several children that have split their loyalties. And if a parent has an attorney, that attorney is ethically obligated to look out for this client's best interests even if that sometimes negatively impacts the child. So a GAL can kind of even things up when things are working right.

DaveSkater
02-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Well, I hope the world works right for you. You've got a tough job.

Today: Major server swap, moved furniture, more work than I anticipated.
Also, bought a soon to be banned Rifle. Saiga 308. Get em whilst you can. Oblama will be passing laws very soon against them.

PennyQuilts
02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Well, I hope the world works right for you. You've got a tough job.

Today: Major server swap, moved furniture, more work than I anticipated.
Also, bought a soon to be banned Rifle. Saiga 308. Get em whilst you can. Oblama will be passing laws very soon against them.

How are the gun shows looking? The last one we went to around here didn't have squat. Well, someone was trying to sell a buffalo robe and skull. Not sure they came from the same bison. There has been such a run on potential banned guns that they didn't have much to sell.

DaveSkater
02-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Went to one today, and it was alive and kicking! Plenty of "bannable" guns to be had. I got some accessories for my latest piece, plus some cool parts.

LORD was it packed tho......
Every gun store has been for the past week.

PennyQuilts
02-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Pup to the vet for second visit - she looks great. Grocery store. Lunch at the burger joint. Nap. Lazy day.

Prunepicker
02-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Woke up, still sick, some kind of nasal infection. Gigged at a restaurant from
12-2pm with some of the old time jazzers -'bout died- picked up a cafe
Americano then went home. Now I'm trying to get some rest. Luckily I don't
have students until Tuesday.

DaveSkater
03-01-2009, 05:58 PM
More gunshow, worked on a rifle, went to walmart and spent a quarter of a K, made dinner, and going to hit the couch.

Tomorrow I will excersise.