View Full Version : Tyson Chandler is now a Thunder...a Thunderer...a member of the squad!!!!!!!!!!

OKCMallen
02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Chandler's offensive game was coming along nicely last year, and his defensive capabilities are big. He can plug up the middle a bit and can be built around on a longer term than Joe Smith. Anyone know the extent of his injuries?

The Thunder has acquired center Tyson Chandler from New Orleans in exchange for Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith, according to a league source with knowledge of the negotiations.

The Thunder will also include the draft rights to Devon Hardin, the 50th overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Chandler, 26, is one of the league’s best young defensive-oriented centers but has been hampered by chronic foot injuries this season. Chandler is averaging 8.8 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 32 games this year but averaged 11.8 points and 11.7 rebounds in 79 games last year.

The 7-foot-1 center became too expensive for the Hornets, who are in cost-cutting mode and face at $76 million payroll next season. Chandler has two years remaining on his contract after this season worth $24.6 million. He can opt out of the final year of his deal before the start of the 2010-11 season.
Wilcox and Smith both have expiring contracts, which will help New Orleans clear room on its salary cap next season.

TaoMaas
02-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Sweet! I always thought that Chandler was the piece of the puzzle that helped New Orleans get over the hump and become a contender. Hopefully he'll have a similar effect on the Thunder. Having the right supporting cast makes all the difference.

CaptDave
02-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Awesome - I agree 100% with TaoMaas on this one. I think he will be a great addition to this young team. I hope he can get - and remain - healthy. We just need Westbrooke to obtain that mind meld Tyson and Chris Paul had going last year!

the_Mont
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
It'll be interesting to see how much of TC's production came courtesy of CP3. We don't have a PG who can dish like CP, and Tyson's numbers will most likely suffer because of it. I think he'll be counted on more to shore up the defense than provide offensive output.

Whatever the outcome, it feels good to have TC back in Oklahoma City.

TaoMaas
02-17-2009, 12:41 PM
We don't have a PG who can dish like CP, and Tyson's numbers will most likely suffer because of it. I think he'll be counted on more to shore up the defense than provide offensive output.

That's okay. It's not like we've been getting big offensive numbers from that position anyway, so a defensive gain is still a step in the right direction.

the_Mont
02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
That's okay. It's not like we've been getting big offensive numbers from that position anyway, so a defensive gain is still a step in the right direction.

That's what I'm saying too. I think our offensive production is just fine, it's our defense that's the problem. We need someone to make those late game stops so we don't have to take games all the way down to the wire. TC will definitely help us in that regard.

Easy180
02-17-2009, 08:12 PM
4 solid YOUNG players...Presti is doing an amazing job and this will definitely be a fun team to watch regardless of record

Got this from NBA.com

NBA.com: Trade for Chandler latest step forward for Oklahoma City (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/art_garcia/02/17/chandler.20090217/index.html)

Glenn James/NBAE via Getty Images
Trade for Chandler latest step forward for Oklahoma City
By Art Garcia, NBA.com
Posted Feb 17 2009 4:48PM

Oklahoma City's first big-time pro franchise is a couple steps closer to its first playoff berth with Tuesday's trade for Tyson Chandler. Believe it.

Sure, the Thunder sit in the Western Conference cellar and are much closer to the first draft pick than the first round. But the deal for the Hornets' defensive-minded starting center continues the push by general manager Sam Presti to build a contender. The roster still lacks depth, but the future is stocked with promise.

And the West isn't as intimidating as people might think, especially in the next couple of years. Outside of the Lakers and Blazers, much of the conference is on the downswing. The Hornets, expected to contend before the start of the season, don't look as formidable after the cost-cutting move with Chandler. Houston and Dallas have been disappointments, and two of their key guys (Houston's Ron Artest and Dallas' Jason Kidd) are free agents this summer. Phoenix is trying to salvage the season after firing Terry Porter. Utah could lose Carlos Boozer.

If the Thunder starts to rumble, it doesn't take much to project a postseason berth.

The Thunder's youthful nucleus of Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Jeff Green has added a fourth in Chandler, an athletic 26-year-old 7-footer who doesn't need the ball to be effective. That's a plus considering the three kids are OKC's three leading scorers.

Presti still has plenty to work with, too. He might not be done dealing this week. The possibilities are many with five first-round choices in the next two years and significant cap space, even with Chandler's $12 million salary next season. Expect the Thunder to use those picks and/or financial flexibility to continue to add talent from teams looking to shed payroll in these touch economic times.

That's the crux of OKC becoming relevant in the West. Unlike the glamour franchises angling for the class of the Class of 2010 -- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and the like -- the Thunder's front office isn't worrying about the big splash. The Thunder are trying to draft max-guys and fill in the gaps around them.

The team is off to go a good start with Durant. Anyone unsure that Durant wasn't a LeBron starter kit only needed to watch last week's Rookie Challenge again. In the next couple of years, he could become the second best player in the West, behind Kobe Bryant. Westbrook is a budding star at point guard who can jump out of the gym. Green, starting now at power forward, may eventually be better suited to come off the bench at both forward spots.

The Thunder can be opportunistic in a market where many teams just want to dump contracts. The low-risk signing of Nenad Krstic earlier this season was underrated, but brought needed help to the frontline. Though the team still has to make significant upgrades at shooting guard and on the bench, there are fewer holes than at the start of the season. The upcoming draft could net local stud Blake Griffin.

Yes, there' still plenty of work to be done. But the playoffs may not be as far away as you think.

OKC4me
02-17-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm gonna miss Wilcox though. I thought he was really good. He had some serious slams!

bretthexum
02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Trade rescinded. Woops...