View Full Version : Half Price Books

southernskye
02-16-2009, 06:30 PM
We were up by Country Club Corner 6500 N. May today. The sign is up for the Half Price Books. There were people there working where the Video store used to be . I would guess a month or 2 before they are open.

Doug Loudenback
02-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow, I hope that happens. I love shopping at Half Price Books when I have the good fortune to travel to Corpus Chisti. My wife and I have gotten some (many) really good books and related items while traveling there. This will be good for the city.

jbrown84
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Is it going in the old CompUSA or the old Hollywood Video or where?

colest7678
02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say the CompUSA due to the size of the ones I've been in. But my girlfriend drove by there earlier and said it look like they were doing work inside the Hollywood Video, so I dunno.

southernskye
02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
the old Hollywood video was where they were working this afternoon.

jbrown84
02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm not familiar w/ this chain, but it sounds like a small space for a bookstore.

John
02-16-2009, 08:33 PM
From the Half-Price Books stores I've been in, I'd assume it would be the whole space? That Homeland/CompUSA building isn't really that big...

mcgrawsdad
02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
reedin...hoo reeds books nowsadays. We gots that intranet thang now...wtf, roflmao, lol
hoo kneeds to reed when u dun got ur skool learnin. I be a produck of okiehoma public skools.

scootinger
02-17-2009, 07:01 AM
I've been to one of their stores in Dallas and it was quite big...maybe twice the size of the old CompUSA space? That kinda sucks if they're only opening in the Hollywood Video space.

ourulz2000
02-17-2009, 07:49 AM
There's a half-price-books 2 blocks from my house in Ft. Worth. It's an AMAZING place. I never go to Borders or Barnes and Noble!

OKBound
02-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah! That's one of the stores I've been wishing would come here. Some locations aren't really huge, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Now if we could just get a Container Store.

MikeOKC
02-17-2009, 06:35 PM
What a great chain to come to Oklahoma City. The Half Price Books I have visited in Dallas and elsewhere are all great places with some real bargains.

I had heard that might be the location and posted it back in January here (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/13310-end-crossroads-mall-near-20.html#post193100). (Just tooting my own horn!) They really do like to locate close to Barnes & Noble and Borders locations and the 63rd and May location is perfect. Less than a mile from Borders and just blocks from Barnes & Noble. Great addition to our city!

Half Price Books. (http://www.halfpricebooks.com/)

I just checked the website above and they're now giving the location of the new Oklahoma City store on their site: Store #105! (http://www.halfpricebooks.com/105.html) I had no idea how much they've grown! Check out their location list. (http://www.halfpricebooks.com/find_a_store.html)

CCOKC
02-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Great news. I love to go to those stores in Dallas.

OKC4me
02-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Wow, I hope that happens. I love shopping at Half Price Books when I have the good fortune to travel to Corpus Chisti. My wife and I have gotten some (many) really good books and related items while traveling there. This will be good for the city.

Hey, not to hijack the thread, but, what do you do in Corpus? We went there last summer and had a blast. Of course, we went to the Aquarium and hung out on the beach. We had fun doing that, but didn't know what else to do! You can p.m. me as to not hijack the thread!

Doug Loudenback
02-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Hey, not to hijack the thread, but, what do you do in Corpus? We went there last summer and had a blast. Of course, we went to the Aquarium and hung out on the beach. We had fun doing that, but didn't know what else to do! You can p.m. me as to not hijack the thread!
I just saw this. I'll send you a PM later today.

MikeOKC
02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Drove by there yesterday. Made me feel good just to see the sign up! That's a great location and I'm sure they paid an arm and a leg for the space.

southernskye
02-19-2009, 09:22 PM
That's a great location and I'm sure they paid an arm and a leg for the space.

Maybe, those 2 spaces have been empty for a year.

Centerback
02-27-2009, 03:37 PM
It looks like the Hollywood Video space only.

workman45
02-28-2009, 05:55 PM
If business does well I'm sure they would be happy to expand.

Elizzzzzzzabeth
03-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I am so excited about this! I always go to Half Priced Books when I visit Houston. I usually purchase about half the store. I'm going to have to do a drive-by later today and check things out.

scootinger
03-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Any word on when they are due to open? I drove by the other day and the space was empty.

And Elizabeth, you might want to fix your avatar? :P

jstanthrnme
03-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Ha! That thing is Ginormous!

OKCisOK4me
03-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Holy ba-hey-zeus!! Is that the late '70's version of Dr. Who?!?

BDP
03-22-2009, 10:57 AM
What makes Half Price Books special? Is it their selection, prices, service... all of the above?

I have never been, so I am just curious as to why people like it over other chain book stores?

metro
03-23-2009, 07:55 AM
see page 1

USG '60
03-23-2009, 08:14 AM
A clue is buried in the name. :doh:

HSC-Sooner
03-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Holy ba-hey-zeus!! Is that the late '70's version of Dr. Who?!?

I believe that's Bob Dylan.

BDP
03-23-2009, 10:24 AM
see page 1

Yeah, thanks. I see that it's a real neato store, but no one was specific as to why they like it or what differentiates it from other book stores. Is it just price? Are they really half-off other dealers prices or just half off MSRP? Is the selection the same or are they a discounter, used dealer, liquidator?

A clue is buried in the name.

Yeah, just like everything is really a dollar at a "Dollar" store or that it's even the same stuff you can get in other stores.

Is it half off junk books? New releases? Used books? Is the music and videos half off as well? What kind of service do they have? Do they have a cafe/lounge area?

"Half Off Books" is a helpful name if it's actually half off the same stuff as down the street at Barnes or Borders, but it also sounds like it could be for suckers, just like dollar stores or it may just be a limited selection like most discounters.

I mean, really, I can go to a garage sale and get books for 98% off if I don't particularly care what I'll be reading...

Turanacus
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
a video store replaced by a book store, what's the world coming to. Words and stuff, bluh gross.

mark
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
they have used books, vinyl, cds, dvds. i bought some new books that were 1/2 off msrp. my wife bought some used books for $1 last time we were there. they have good stuff there. one we went to in dallas also had collectible books (first editions, etc)

fromdust
03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
too bad no one got this excited over that 70% off bookstore that was just down the street from this one ( by gordmans), maybe it would have lasted longer. oh well, they did have some great prices on books, though.

flintysooner
03-23-2009, 02:56 PM
I have a Kindle 2. I really see little need for bookstores anymore.

stickboy
03-23-2009, 03:20 PM
too bad no one got this excited over that 70% off bookstore that was just down the street from this one ( by gordmans), maybe it would have lasted longer. oh well, they did have some great prices on books, though.

That place failed because the selection was awful. The reason I think Half Price Books succeeds is because they have a really good selection. Will you always find what you are looking for when you go in there? No, but you'll find a lot more than trashy romance novels.

MikeOKC
03-23-2009, 05:02 PM

The 75% Off store was a remainder store. Half Price Books is a hybrid of new and used books that wouldn't have stocked half the crap they had at that 75% Off store. All those remainder books just spread out on tables is a long way from a Half Price Book store; you'll have to just visit one.

I have a Kindle as well, flinty, and I was once an avid bookstore lover. I haven't been in a while since using my Kindle. I went into the new Legacy Books (the coolest independent bookstore at Shops at Legacy in Plano) and I remembered how much I loved the bookstore. Amazon's list of titles and sample chapters are great when you know what you're looking for, but the actual bookstore experience this past weekend reminded me of how much easier it is to just come upon a new title. That said, I do love my Kindle!

I took a bunch of pictures at Legacy this weekend and am thinking about posting a bunch. That's an amazing place.

flintysooner
03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
I have a Kindle as well, flinty, and I was once an avid bookstore lover. I haven't been in a while since using my Kindle. I went into the new Legacy Books (the coolest independent bookstore at Shops at Legacy in Plano) and I remembered how much I loved the bookstore. Amazon's list of titles and sample chapters are great when you know what you're looking for, but the actual bookstore experience this past weekend reminded me of how much easier it is to just come upon a new title. That said, I do love my Kindle!The last "real" book I bought was Steve Lackmeyer's Bricktown. I was going to order it from Full Circle but ended up getting it from Amazon. Amazon was $17.15 and no shipping. Full Circle was $21.99 plus shipping. But the big reason really was that it was just a lot easier for me to get it from Amazon.

It's a good example of book not really suitable for Kindle in my opinion.

Four of us in my family have Kindles and we all share the same account so we all have access to the same digital library. We were all pretty skeptical but all of us love the devices and read more now.

I notice that Half Price makes use of some of Amazon's services.

It seems to me that the entire way I decide what I want to read has changed over the last several years. A few years ago I enjoyed just browsing around a Barnes and Noble but I just do not do that anymore.

citizenkane
03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Any word on when they are due to open? I drove by the other day and the space was empty.

According to their website, the "great opening celebration" will be from May 21-24.

Doug Loudenback
03-24-2009, 04:28 AM
Off topic but in the same vein: I've been wanting to know more about Deep Deuce for some time and finally decided to get a copy of One O'Clock Jump, a book about the Oklahoma City Blue Devils written by a California professor which also gives great history about Deep Deuce itself and the black community's early day Oklahoma City experience. Going to Amazon, I found that a new book costing under $5 plus small shipping fee was available through a secondary source listed there, so I got the book. It arrived about a week later in perfect condition, and I'm quite pleased.

There is definitely something to be said for on-line ordering. But, it's also great to put your fingers on the product before buying, and I'm looking forward to Half-Price's opening. As said before, I've enjoyed their Texas stores for quite a long time.

metro
04-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Read in the new OKCBiz that Half Price books is opening May 21st

Centerback
04-23-2009, 03:18 PM
The last "real" book I bought was Steve Lackmeyer's Bricktown. I was going to order it from Full Circle but ended up getting it from Amazon. Amazon was $17.15 and no shipping. Full Circle was $21.99 plus shipping. But the big reason really was that it was just a lot easier for me to get it from Amazon.

That'll keep the local economy growing...Keep up the great support!

metro
04-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Half Price Books heading to Oklahoma City
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record April 29, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – Texas-based used-book store chain Half Price Books will open its first Oklahoma store May 21.

The 9,800-square-foot store is set for a strip mall at NW 63rd Street and May Avenue.The chain started in Dallas in 1972 and has stores in 15 states.

John Garrison, district manager for HPB, said the company adds about five new stores a year. The company has been focusing on filling in existing markets, but customer requests led to plans for the Oklahoma City store.

Kirk Thompson, public relations director for HPB, said Oklahoma was the top request for people contacting the company asking about new stores.

With the company’s modest expansion and its policy to promote managers from within, the Oklahoma store was put on hold until recently when the company found the ideal candidate for store manager in Rachel Lehrberger, who is moving from Texas to manage the Oklahoma City store.

Garrison said the site of the store was chosen because of its proximity to the busy nearby intersection and a bigger building.

“We just loved the visibility,” Garrison said. “We wanted this corner so badly we were willing to go bigger than we otherwise might have in a new market.”

The stores range from about 8,000 square feet to 10,000 square feet.

Each store sells used books and recorded materials for 50 percent of the original retail price, or often less. Garrison said about 60 percent of the store’s stock will be used materials. Other items include things like bookmarks, novelty items, postcards and portable reading lights.

Customers are encouraged to bring books to sell. The store pays cash for used books and recorded materials like CDs and record albums. Customers who sell items are not required to make a purchase.

“We’d love it if they spend it here,” Garrison said. “But they don’t have to.”
As economic conditions have driven many to tighten their purse strings, Garrison said, business has improved at HPB stores.

“When folks start to have to pinch pennies a little more, they definitely start to look at who can provide something they can afford,” he said.

Thompson said company-wide sales are up 8 percent over the same time last year.
With the first Oklahoma store set to open next month, Garrison said, the company is considering other markets around the state, including Edmond and Tulsa.

“We’re actively looking,” he said. “We’re just trying to find the right locations.”
But not everyone is looking forward to the new store coming to town. It is about a mile from the Aladdin Book Shoppe at 5040 N. May Ave.

“It’s right down the street from us, which is one concern,” said Aladdin co-owner Paula Walker. “But we have a different niche. Our books are mainly out-of-print and rare.”
Walker and her two partners have owned the used-book store for about four years. It was founded in 1930.

Books at Aladdin generally start at about $40 and go up to $2,000. Walker said they also keep a stock of lower-priced paperbacks.

Walker said she expects to see a dip in sales when the HPB store opens, but expects many to return to Aladdin for the personal service, selection and unique touches like their brass cash register from 1911.

Garrison said he wants to work in unity with used-book sellers and larger chains that sell new books, like nearby Barnes & Noble and Borders. He said the HPB stores are often situated near the larger booksellers to offer customers a variety of book-buying options and to refer customers back and forth.

“I love to be right next to a healthy Barnes & Noble or Borders,” he said. “There’s a real synergy there, that’s helpful.”

Dekoung
04-29-2009, 07:08 PM
We took a couple of boxes of books there on Tuesday and received a nice chunk of cash. I would rather get cash than credits like other used bookstores give because it seems I never find anything much I want.

We love HPB and always go to the warehouse like one on NW Highway in Dallas when there. I had been filling out requests for one in Tulsa for years and then for Norman when we moved here but am happy to have one in OKC if not Norman.

jmlight
05-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Sold them a bunch of books I've had stashed in the closet for years, and they paid well. Right now they're open for purchasing only, no sales till the 21st, but you're welcome to walk around the store while you wait on your books to be appraised.

The staff is very friendly and helpful and they priced ten boxes of my books in less than an hour.

Centerback
05-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Great coupon available on the cover of The Oklahoman today for HPB. Look for the red post it note!

jstanthrnme
05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Went in today, and it seemed to be really busy. Got a couple of good books for a great price. I'll be frequenting HPB I think.

Also, through memorial day, everything is 20% off.

jbrown84
05-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Did I read correctly that it's books and music only--no DVDs?

fourthworldtraffic
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
It is way greener to maintain paper borne reading materials than to be reading read whole books on an electrically powered device. device expect that we can afford as a planet to have every single persons life dependent entirely on batteries,engines and power outlets for our silly startrek fancies. It is too expensive, these "ideals" .....Nothing against you personally. I have my own inanities to be sure. Keep books alive.

stickboy
05-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Did I read correctly that it's books and music only--no DVDs?

They have DVDs. They also have a pretty good software selection to, if you are interested in some slightly older games.

nighttrain12
05-28-2009, 10:51 PM
I've been wondering when this place was finally going to open up. Thanks for all the updates and I will be sure to check it out this weekend.