View Full Version : P90x

Pages : [1] 2

Bostonfan
02-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Anyone tried this? The infomercials are all over the place. Looks interesting.

ultimatesooner
02-17-2009, 08:20 AM
it works just like any other diet and excersice plan as long as you stick to it

If you are looking at buying it, check ebay 1st - you should be able to pick it up for half or less

Midtowner
02-17-2009, 11:07 AM
A friend of mine swears by it.

ultimatesooner
02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
there are a few people journaling their progress on it if you search for it in the forums at bodybuilding.com

DaveSkater
02-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I've heard good things about it, but have never tried it.

Bostonfan
02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Not really thinking about doing it, right now that is. I don't know why, but everytime I see it on tv, I can't turn the channel. Thought I'd see what others thought about it. From what I can tell it's legit. Only problem is, like some have said, is sticking to it. Not only that, but after 90 days, what do you have to do to keep in that kind of shape. Maybe after 90 days of doing it, a person might think there would be no way they would go back to where they were before.

davidmilford26
02-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I just started P90x on Monday and it is kicking my butt! I got it on craigslist for 70 bucks since I was skeptical. I have done it everyday and I now have muscles I didn't know I have that are aching. The exercises are fairly easy to keep up with and you can take breaks if you are having trouble. The program says you should only have to do some of the discs or routines after the 90 days unless you want to do them all.

davidmilford26
02-27-2009, 08:06 AM
I started it on Monday and it is kicking my butt. I am sore all over. The routines are fairly easy as long as you have the correct weight or band. After 90 days the program says to still do some of the dvds weekly and some of the other ones every once in a while to keep up your look. I like the program so far. I may post again in a few weeks and let you know how its going.

Bostonfan
03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I started it on Monday and it is kicking my butt. I am sore all over. The routines are fairly easy as long as you have the correct weight or band. After 90 days the program says to still do some of the dvds weekly and some of the other ones every once in a while to keep up your look. I like the program so far. I may post again in a few weeks and let you know how its going.

Thanks for posting. Keep us informed. I'll be interested in finding out how you do with it. No pressure!! :LolLolLol

Prunepicker
03-03-2009, 12:02 AM
The most important thing to do is to eat reasonably and do some
exercise.

Of course, if you need something that costs money, then by all means
purchase this diet.

ronronnie1
03-03-2009, 04:28 AM
No need to buy p90x. Just exercise and eat correctly. And STICK WITH IT. I started working out a while back because I was so boney yet so flabby, and low and behold I got in shape. Six pack even. Imagine that.

People are always looking for a magic pill, but there is none. If there was you wouldn't be seeing all these obese people poluting the landscape.

Bostonfan
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
No need to buy p90x. Just exercise and eat correctly. And STICK WITH IT. I started working out a while back because I was so boney yet so flabby, and low and behold I got in shape. Six pack even. Imagine that.

People are always looking for a magic pill, but there is none. If there was you wouldn't be seeing all these obese people poluting the landscape.

This is not a diet or magic pill, from what I can tell. This is a workout program. I'm already working out and have been for some time. I watch what I eat and the portions I eat as well. Just interested in this program, and basically wanting to get some views from people who have tried this "workout program". Just gathering some info on it, and from what I can tell it's far from a magic pill.

Sounds like I've got some of the same problem you had. Boney, yet flabby. Worked much of it off, yet always trying to find a better way to work out.

I do agree with you, btw.....

Karried
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
P90X® - Fitness, Nutrition, Diet, Weight Loss Official Web site (http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-P90x-Extreme-home-fitness-dvds-13-set_W0QQitemZ120385585622QQihZ002QQcategoryZ62137Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

native
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
P90x is a great workout system. My workouts are similar. It's design is made to shed fat & tone you up. You won't get strong or necessarily big on the system but not everyone wants that. There is a cardio aspect to the P90x system so that's a plus. I believe it is a great system for someone who doesn't have access to a gym or who doesn't know how to put a workout together.
Once you have adapted or get bored with the P90x system, look into German Volume Training, Meltdown and Complexes. These workout methods are even more challenging.
The most important thing, as stated previously, it's what you stuff down your throat. I hate to say the word "diet" but prefer "lifestyle change".
As long as you feel the workout and you feel better about yourself, I say keep at it. Good luck!

ronronnie1
03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
This is not a diet or magic pill, from what I can tell. This is a workout program. I'm already working out and have been for some time. I watch what I eat and the portions I eat as well. Just interested in this program, and basically wanting to get some views from people who have tried this "workout program". Just gathering some info on it, and from what I can tell it's far from a magic pill.

Sounds like I've got some of the same problem you had. Boney, yet flabby. Worked much of it off, yet always trying to find a better way to work out.

I do agree with you, btw.....

I've watched the p90x infomercial, and I'm sure it works if you put in the time and effort. It's just that if you do pullups, bench, legs, and arms, then I just don't see the reason to pay so much money for something you can figure out for free. Maybe the motivation of having a video of the workouts helps? Don't know. But if you are skinny and flabby, I'd avoid cardio. Eat lots of protein and lift weights at least 3 times a week. The added muscle mass you put on should burn away the excess flab.

davidmilford26
03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I wasn't looking for a "magic pill". I travel every week for my job. I tried the gyms at hotels, but most of the time they only have treadmills. P90X is working so far and they give you the opportunity to get lean or big, its up to you (size of weights, reps, etc..). I think its a great product for people who don't know what or how to really workout. The workouts themselves are simple, push-ups, pull-ups and cardio work. Its perfect for those who don't like the gym and its cheaper, I got mine on craigslist for 50$ and got the pdf calendar and nutrition plan on ebay for 8$. Gym was costing me 40$ a month. That's a bargain in my book. Sorry if the program offends anyone, but i love it so far, and so far I can feel it working everyday. I also feel muscles working i didn't know i had.

David

Bostonfan
03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I've watched the p90x infomercial, and I'm sure it works if you put in the time and effort. It's just that if you do pullups, bench, legs, and arms, then I just don't see the reason to pay so much money for something you can figure out for free. Maybe the motivation of having a video of the workouts helps? Don't know. But if you are skinny and flabby, I'd avoid cardio. Eat lots of protein and lift weights at least 3 times a week. The added muscle mass you put on should burn away the excess flab.

Avoid cardio???? Everything I've ever seen and heard is to do cardio. Here's the deal, I have a gut and love handles, so to speak. Everywhere else is pretty boney. I've been running nearly everyday for quite some time now and it's really helped. Haven't done much with the weights though.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to say you're making things up, I've just never heard to avoid cardio.

Karried
03-04-2009, 05:31 PM
But if you are skinny and flabby, I'd avoid cardio

I think he means thin and not toned maybe? Is flabby the right word?

I agree, I've always heard to do cardio but if you are trying to build muscle mass and get toned, maybe more arm/legs reps ..

You can't spot reduce so if you have a gut, diet and cardio is the only thing that will work.

Bostonfan
03-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I think he means thin and not toned maybe? Is flabby the right word?

I agree, I've always heard to do cardio but if you are trying to build muscle mass and get toned, maybe more arm/legs reps ..

You can't spot reduce so if you have a gut, diet and cardio is the only thing that will work.

It's like doing crunches with a gut. Abs might get tighter, but you won't be able to see them beneath the fat.

I'm still at that point. Trying to burn the fat off the tummy. Also, with good diet and cardio, I'm sure lifting would really help. Just not really into the weights like some. That's why this program has my interest.

Bostonfan
03-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I wasn't looking for a "magic pill". I travel every week for my job. I tried the gyms at hotels, but most of the time they only have treadmills. P90X is working so far and they give you the opportunity to get lean or big, its up to you (size of weights, reps, etc..). I think its a great product for people who don't know what or how to really workout. The workouts themselves are simple, push-ups, pull-ups and cardio work. Its perfect for those who don't like the gym and its cheaper, I got mine on craigslist for 50$ and got the pdf calendar and nutrition plan on ebay for 8$. Gym was costing me 40$ a month. That's a bargain in my book. Sorry if the program offends anyone, but i love it so far, and so far I can feel it working everyday. I also feel muscles working i didn't know i had.

David

Sounds good, keep us informed. Good luck!

native
03-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I see people all the time doing ab exercises in attempt to "spot reduce". It can't be done. You burn fat from head to toe. Your abs will get stronger but you will never see them under the superficial fatty layer. If you are carrying extra weight in your midsection, performing ab exercises can make you appear more fat due to the hypertrophy of your underlying abdominals. Lose the weight first or at least meet them half way before starting ab concentrations.

It is possible to lose weight without doing cardio but it helps. I recommend lifting at a high intensity. This doesn't mean you have to lift heavy weight. This is the basis of Lactic Acid training which is great at stripping off fat, but it's not for the faint at heart. I've seen many "meat heads" lose their lunch training in this style. It can be a humbling experience.

RonRonnie1 has a point though. If you put on muscle, losing the flab becomes a lot easier. The more muscle mass you have, the higher your BMR & circulating GH in your system.

ronronnie1
03-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Great points everyone, but fitness is pretty individual. Everyone's different. I'm one of the few people that actually needs to gain weight, yet I have a problem with body fat. Here's what I do pretty much every year.

During the cold months I lift weights to build muscle. Then when it gets warm outside, I run for maybe a month to rid myself of the flab. I just can't eat enough food to put on weight, so I concentrate on weight lifting and avoid cardio (and I'm a cardio addict.)

Bottom line: Everyone's different, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. However I believe that weight lifting will pretty much benefit anyone.

securityinfo
03-30-2009, 01:27 PM
P90X will work. This is better, faster and free. If you can survive:

What is CrossFit? (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html)

dismayed
03-31-2009, 07:42 PM
So what is the basic premise of P90X? From what I have seen on TV it seems like a bunch of circuit training?

John1744
04-02-2009, 01:29 AM
My roomate ordered it through their website. And it was sent out by a company called beachbody I think. He loved the product but got screwed hard by the distributors. They kept charging his bank card every month even though he paid up front. He would try and call customer support and would just get a run around even if he could get hold of someone.

So in essence from what I've been told, great product shady selling practices, buy it second hand or do some research.

HeatherDawn
06-05-2009, 11:25 AM
That CrossFit does look intense! I would probably die. I have a coworker doing P90X and he's sore in different places everyday.

Fanusen
07-08-2009, 02:36 PM
I have to be honest.. I have more than a few pounds to lose myself, I don't take great care of myself as far as medical care and that sort of thing, but I would like to try some kind of program, but I'm really afraid of hurting myself... I see myself as being kind of fragile... either that, or it could be just an excuse not to do it.. not sure which it is yet..

MEvans
01-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Curious if you have an update on your results after using P90x? I'm thinking about ordering it for myself & my husband.

Hawk405359
01-25-2010, 09:55 PM
I've actually done the program. It's essentially just a high-intensity workout program, what you'd expect from having a personal trainer. It is quite intense, but there's not really any exercises in it that I didn't know about before hand.

One thing I did like about it was the yoga class they threw in the middle of it. Yoga is highly underrated as a fitness program.

Bunty
01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Congratultions. Then what made you stick with the program without becoming too bored or lazy with it before quitting altogether? Being devoted enough to sticking with an exercise program would require great discipline with me.

Hawk405359
01-31-2010, 10:42 PM
There's no real secret there, being devoted enough to stick with any workout regimen is all about mindset.

Joe Daddy
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
There's no real secret there, being devoted enough to stick with any workout regimen is all about mindset.

So true. I was told by a fittnes guru many years ago: "Everything works, just not for very long". Meaning you have to work hard and change up your routine every few weeks to keep making fittness and muscular gains.

I imagine P90X works great for the 90 days, then it's time to change again.

Hawk405359
02-06-2010, 03:32 PM
So true. I was told by a fittnes guru many years ago: "Everything works, just not for very long". Meaning you have to work hard and change up your routine every few weeks to keep making fittness and muscular gains.

I imagine P90X works great for the 90 days, then it's time to change again.

That's the thing about it. The premise of the workout is that they change up the routine every 3 weeks. So you'll go through 3 weeks of one routine, a week of the "rest" routines, 3 weeks of a different routine, a week of rest, 3 weeks of a different routine, a week of rest.

The problem is that, while they might change up the order, there are actually only 10 or so different workouts, it's just the order of them switches, and some are present throughout (like the absolutely evil leg and back routine). So you get the first three the first stage, two different ones the second stage, then just a different mix in the third stage, all with some cardio, a yoga and a stretching routine that are mixed in.

Joe Daddy
02-06-2010, 05:53 PM
That's the thing about it. The premise of the workout is that they change up the routine every 3 weeks. So you'll go through 3 weeks of one routine, a week of the "rest" routines, 3 weeks of a different routine, a week of rest, 3 weeks of a different routine, a week of rest.

The problem is that, while they might change up the order, there are actually only 10 or so different workouts, it's just the order of them switches, and some are present throughout (like the absolutely evil leg and back routine). So you get the first three the first stage, two different ones the second stage, then just a different mix in the third stage, all with some cardio, a yoga and a stretching routine that are mixed in.

It's all about muscle confusion. Sucks that 20 minutes a day on a treadmill just won't get you there like the other infomercials claim. That would be nice, wouldn't it, lol!

The bottom line is that you have to work your ass off -literally. It all comes down to how bad you want it. The price for a 6-pack for most of us is near-constant hunger and exhausting cardio 5-6 days a week. If anyone is willing to do that, they will get it. Workouts like P90X can help if you are willing to work it, and then move on to yet another intense routine to keep progressing.

At some point you have to decide to be happy where your are and maintain it.

Wishbone
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Has anyone tried Shaun T's insanity workout?

SHAUN T INSANITY ® ? INSANITY WORKOUT ? Fitness & Weight Loss (http://www.extremefitnessresults.com/insanity.html)

mooshie
02-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Has anyone tried Shaun T's insanity workout?

SHAUN T INSANITY ® ? INSANITY WORKOUT ? Fitness & Weight Loss (http://www.extremefitnessresults.com/insanity.html)

I've started yesterday. So I'm doing day 2 today. The fit test was pretty brutal on me.

Bostonfan
02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Just went to the Shaun T site. Man, sounds like "insanity" fits it perfectly. I read some reviews. Many people who have or are in the process of doing it say it's pretty good but tough. Many talk about throwing up after the first day. It's tempting, but right now, I'm not that motivated. Maybe one day.

Looks like the two biggest advantages are 1. you do more cardio and 2. it's 60 days, instead of 90.

melinda
02-15-2010, 09:27 PM
i had tried that with my friend, its pretty fun to do with someone instead of doing by urself.

Wishbone
02-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I've started yesterday. So I'm doing day 2 today. The fit test was pretty brutal on me.

Keep us posted on your progress with this please. I'm very interested in this one.

mooshie
02-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Here is my update.

I lost about 2lbs the first week. This is pretty good since I considered myself to plateau after losing 20lbs before this.

The workouts are hard. It is easily the hardest routines I've ever done. Going into this, I considered myself to have pretty good cardio. At the gym, I could do treadmill/eplitical/bike for an hour no problem. But here, I consistently need to take breaks to get my heart rate back into the safe zone.

Casey
03-26-2010, 10:42 PM
I've done both P90x and Crossfit in random spurts. Never followed either program for an extended period of time so can't really judge my fitness gains.

They're both pretty challenging, and would produce fantastic results if coupled with a proper diet.

P90x is a huge time commitment: 1-1.5hrs/day, plus you need a little bit of equipment in your house.

Crossfit workouts are really short in comparison, about 20 - 40 minutes depending on the day. These can't really be done at home unless you've got an entire gym set.

Bunty
04-27-2010, 01:22 AM
I had to settle for the rage that came before P90X, the Power 90. I didn't do well with the fitness test recommended before starting P90X. For instance, couldn't do the required 15 push-ups without cheating out the last few. I couldn't even do one of the 3 required pull-ups. So I'm with Power 90 now. After 2 sweaty weeks of work outs, I can already get back into a pair of my black Levis that I couldn't before. That was the last straw when I couldn't get into those jeans any more. My goal is to lose 20lbs and get to 178 in 90 days. Some years are bound to come off, too. Just keep pushing play 6 days a week.

I admire anyone who's trying to stick with the P90X program because I know it's tougher. Here's an inspiring video for such people who are aspiring to become P90X survivors. It was made by a traveling magician:

U90Kk7llC0k

Bunty
04-27-2010, 01:24 AM
oops

Bunty
05-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Here's an interesing critical look with discussion of the P90X workout program: Why the P90X Exercise Program is Overrated (http://naturalbias.com/why-the-p90x-exercise-program-is-overrated/)

BBatesokc
05-26-2010, 08:29 PM
I did P90X awhile back. I was up to 230lbs and a 42"/44" waist at 6' tall. In 6 months I was down to 180lbs. and a 32" waist. I didn't follow the diet plan because I'm not into spending alot of $$$ on supplements. I cut out non-diet sodas and most typical fast food. I also reduced the quantity of food I ate. I stopped P90X because I reached my goal and started to lose interest. I replaced the P90X plan with cardio classes at the Y and really think you can accomplish the same results by just finding something that gets your heart rate up and eating right. But, if the packaged fitness plan and hype is what motivates you, then I say go for it!

Peach fuzz
05-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Ronnie is right in a way. Those crunches are going to assault the fat way more than cardio. Muscles eat fat more than just running it off. If you want to really see results try lifting then running after... Go for the throat so to speak

Bostonfan
05-30-2010, 04:32 PM
I did P90X awhile back. I was up to 230lbs and a 42"/44" waist at 6' tall. In 6 months I was down to 180lbs. and a 32" waist. I didn't follow the diet plan because I'm not into spending alot of $$$ on supplements. I cut out non-diet sodas and most typical fast food. I also reduced the quantity of food I ate. I stopped P90X because I reached my goal and started to lose interest. I replaced the P90X plan with cardio classes at the Y and really think you can accomplish the same results by just finding something that gets your heart rate up and eating right. But, if the packaged fitness plan and hype is what motivates you, then I say go for it!

10+ inches off the waste is impressive. Great job!

Bostonfan
05-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Ronnie is right in a way. Those crunches are going to assault the fat way more than cardio. Muscles eat fat more than just running it off. If you want to really see results try lifting then running after... Go for the throat so to speak

Agree, if you are going to run and lift, I've heard it's better to lift first. What has helped a great deal for me is push ups (legs apart) and crunches before a run.

Casey
05-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Actually, there are a bunch of studies out that show the difference between doing cardio first/weights second or weights first/cardio second is truly minimal.

Either go with personal preference, or do first what you're wanting to put more of a hardcore effort into, since you'll be more tired for the second event.

Dustin
05-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Ordered it on Thursday! Wish me luck!

Bunty
05-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Cool. I wish you lots of luck as well as lots of sweat.

metro
06-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Sorry but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll stick to this.

http://www.bestofasseenontv.com/music/RichardSimmonsSweatingToTheOldies/RichardSimmonsSweatingToTheOldies.jpg

jk

Bunty
06-03-2010, 03:10 AM
That's only for people who want to try to jump straight from the easy chair.

Get real. "Bring it" as they say with P90X. Some of the cardio and weight lifting shown are also done on the less extreme Power 90 workout, a good way for a couch potato to get ready for the kick ass P90X. (But don't be too surprised both workouts are sold by the same company.)

ChF-jS1lXz8&annotation_id=annotation_297447&feature=iv

Dustin
06-03-2010, 11:00 PM
That's only for people who want to try to jump straight from the easy chair.

Get real. "Bring it" as they say with P90X. Some of the cardio and weight lifting shown are also done on the less extreme Power 90 workout, a good way for a couch potato to get ready for the kick ass P90X. (But don't be too surprised both workouts are sold by the same company.)

ChF-jS1lXz8&annotation_id=annotation_297447&feature=iv

Ahhh! So excited! It arrived in OKC yesterday! Hopefully it gets here Friday! Im so ready to get started!

BBatesokc
06-07-2010, 07:09 AM
The only thing wrong IMO with P90X is that its often bought by "Joe Citizen" who thinks "I'll just plop down $120+" and I'll have an amazing beach body. If you're not already a very active person then many people find P90X overwhelming and its much easier to make excuses not to actually finish it.

I see no way that a couch potato could actually handle this workout from day 1 - 90. I think you'd need at least a few months of pre-training (walking, biking, cardio, etc.).

I did it and I was happy, but I was already going to cardio classes and regularly ride my bike. My expectations though were not to get a ripped beach bod (which is how they market P90X). I just wanted to lose weight and inches.

I've know 3 people who truly followed the program and NONE got the results shown in the marketing. They looked good and were in shape, but not to the extremes often promised. The only time they actually had a somewhat ripped look was for about 45 minutes immediately following their workout.

Personally, I'd buy it on craiglist used. I found a like new complete package for $65.

Bunty
06-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Oh, well, you'll only get as much out of P90X as you're willing to put into it. So results can vary. A lot of people got fantastic results and put it up on youtube. On the other hand, you can wonder how many people thought they were going to proudly put up their results with P90X, but at the end didn't because they were disappointed by their results.

As mentioned before, there's a fitness test online people can take to find out if they're good 90X material. For instance, can you do jumping jacks for two minutes and then do it fast as you can for 30 seconds, or if male, do 15 pushups? The company shouldn't keep this test a secret, if that's what they do, when hawking P90X on TV, especially, if you wimp out with the test, you can just go with the company's less intense Power 90 Boot Camp.

IF you want to buy it new, Ebay has it for a bit under $100, but make sure the deal comes with a return policy, because some of what's sold on there may be counterfeit.

Casey
06-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I just did my first Insanity workout - Plyometric Cardio.

I'm in pretty good shape, and I felt like I was on the verge of puking a few times during the workout.

3.5 minutes of full on cardio, followed by 30 seconds recovery. Repeat.

Not so much fun, really. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Bunty
06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for warning us. I bet Insanity will make you lose weight and gain some abs.

Casey
06-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Nah. I think the weight loss would come more from modifying food intake, especially for someone who's already quite active as it is.

There's no way someone who doesn't already have a good fitness base could do this. Even the people in the video were collapsing on the ground at the end of some of the cardio circuits.

bandnerd
06-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm doing Insanity. I haven't been an avid gym-goer in awhile, but after 12 years of ballet, 10 years of marching band, a period of time spent with a personal trainer in the past and experience with other BeachBody company workouts, I have found that I can do a lot of the Insanity workouts, mostly because of muscle memory. Not everything, but after a week it's getting better.

Not quite so sore. Guess it's time to step it up. And yes, to see real weight loss you would need to follow an appropriate diet.