View Full Version : Quitting Smoking

Underling
01-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Has anyone here successfully quit smoking? I'm trying right now and am resolved that I will actually quit for good this time.

I've tried cold turkry before, but the stress of my job makes that almost impossible from day one. So this time I'm trying it a little differently. I stopped smoking in the evenings over the weekend, so I was only having one or two during the day.

This morning I brought four cigarettes with me. One I smoked on my way to work. I had half of one at my morning break (which comes around 10:00, when I'm most stressed), had a whole cigarette at lunch, and another half at my 3:00 break. That leaves me one for the drive home.

Tomorrow I'm going to cut out the mid morning and mid afternoon smoke and go with three for the whole day. Gonna do that for a few days and see how it goes.

Any advice from those of you who have quit before?

Thanks!

mranderson
01-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Here is the way my dad quit after 50 years as a smoker. When he wanted a cigerette, he ate an orange. It worked. He stopped cold turkey and has never picked up any tobacco product since.

Floating_adrift
01-10-2005, 02:32 PM
I was successful many years ago.

But only because it was my first cigarette. And it made me turn green, and break out into a cold sweat.

Sorry I couldn't offer better advice :D Good luck!!

Underling
01-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Floating.

NowI'll focus all my energy on deveoping time travel so I can go back to 1993 and stop myself from ever lighting up in the first place.

Luke
01-12-2005, 03:16 PM
As someone who's never even tried it, it's hard for me to imagine how addicting it is.

Crazy that a little stick of that stuff controls so many people.

I wish you the best in kicking the habit!

PS: How's the book you got for Christmas going?

Luke
01-12-2005, 03:19 PM
PPS: And how's the exercise book I lent you?

Floating_adrift
01-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks, Floating.

NowI'll focus all my energy on deveoping time travel so I can go back to 1993 and stop myself from ever lighting up in the first place.
LOL Well let me know if you need any help with that, I've been trying to figure out that time travel stuff for years!

Keith
01-12-2005, 04:03 PM
I smoked when I was a lot younger(in my 20's) for about 2 years. I had a sales job that took me all over the state of Oklahoma, and sometimes a cigarette is what kept me awake. Plus, the job was stressful, and it was something to do to keep my hands busy.

I quit cold turkey, however, I wasn't a chain smoker or a heavy smoker. I just decided that I was tired of smelling like the bottom of an ashtray, and I know my customers were glad I quit too. I went from smoking to chewing bubble gum and blowing lots of bubbles while I was driving. Now, I didn't have to worry about cancer and supporting the tobacco companies.....I had to worry about supporting my dentist after chewing all that sugar.

Underling
01-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Floating Adrift- I'll let you know the moment I make any breakthroughs.

Luke- The first book you asked about is incredibly helpful. I've been spending about 30 minutes each morning readin through the daily entry and then spend some time writing in my journal. I come back to that in the evenings before bed and read through the lesson a second time and reflect back at the end of the day.

The book you lent me is great. Probably the closest thing to what I've been looking for. I've put my order in for a copy from B&N, so I can get your copy back to you soon. Thanks again for lending it to me...

Keith- I'm chewing a fair amount of gum and shelling sunflower seeds when I'm at work...it helps to keep my mouth busy...the psychological urge to smoke is sometimes worse than the withdrawl...

Luke
01-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Great! Glad to hear it!

Midtowner
01-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Good to hear y'all haven't fallen off the wagon. I've had many friends go for a couple weeks and then cave. My friend's father is a pulmonologist (lung doctor). I recall him doing a presentation to our gradeschool class where he brought a cancerous lung and a lung from an emphysema patient in jars.

If you need motivation, just go see if you can find one of those things and imagine them inside your chest cavity.

MasterWolf
01-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Way to go Underling!! I am also quitting smoking and so far so good. I just quit cold turkey. First 3 days was horrible, but now, Im alright....as long as I keep myself busy.

Patrick
01-13-2005, 01:07 AM
Congrats Underling. It's awesome to hear how both you and Masterwolf have "kicked the habit". That's quite an accomplishment! All of us at OKC Talk are proud of you both! :Smiley173