View Full Version : Junior's on Northwest Expressway

Insider
02-16-2009, 07:56 AM
THANKS FOR RUINING MY VALENTINES DAY!

I just wanted to warn others of this restaurant so they do not fall victim to the new management! My mother- and father-in-law have been eating at Junior's on Northwest Expressway for over 30 years. I have been once before 4 or 5 years ago and the experience was excellent. So, I made reservations for Valentine's Day to surprise my wife with a nice dinner at (what used to be) an excellent restaurant. We were joined by her parents as they wanted to have a nice night out also. The dinner started out fine, that is until the food arrived.

I had ordered the Filet Mignon (medium) and it was well done (I stress well done). I had to send it back and when the new one arrived, it was rare... I had to have it fixed too. My wife ordered the lobster tail with garlic mashed potatoes. The entire plate was cold and had to be send back to warm it up. My mother-in-law ordered a lobster tail with a potato and her entire plate was also sent back because it was cold. My father-in-law ordered a steak and garlic mashed potatoes and the potatoes were cold and the steak was a little over cooked. He had to have his sent back.

At the end of service, we asked for the manager and the owner came over. We explained what happened and that we were VERY disappointed with the service. He grabbed my shoulder and my wife shoulder and leaned over the table and told us that "we needed to cut him a break. He is trying to serve 170 people and that he is doing the best he can. All he could do was say sorry." He told us that he was going to go find out what had happened and that he would be right back. He dissapeared into the kitchen and was not seen again. We decided to leave about 15 minutes later. When we were leaving, he happened to come out of the bar area (where he had gone to try to hide) right into our path. We again told him that our service was horrible and that we would not be returning. He again grabbed my wifes arm and told her that we needed to cut him a break and that all he could do was say sorry.

We told him that he had much bigger issues as the table next to ours had also send ALL of their food back and the table behind ours waited over an hour before the waiter walked up and asked "has anyone taken your order yet?"

I want to warn others to NEVER go to this restaurant as the new management has no regard for food service and no customer service skills. When you go to a restaurant and the bill is over $300, this is not the kind of service you would expect! THIS WAS THE WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD!!

onthestrip
02-16-2009, 08:29 AM
There is no excuse to have that bad of service, but this is part of the reason I avoid restaurants on Valentines, the service always suffers. Juniors probably was the busiest they have been in a year. They, and other restaurants like them, just arent prepared for a jam packed night like Valentines.

kevinpate
02-16-2009, 09:05 AM
But a service industry that doesn't prepare for one of the most bustling special event days of the year (setting aside whether it ought to be so for another discussion) ought to fake mechanical issues and just be closed that night. Better to miss the one eve of sales than to lose folks for good, and to never meet folks who decide why bother after hearing bad word of mouth.

I admire the OP's restraint. If a service personnel grabbed my spouse, she'd either be receiving one hell of an apology, or bailing me out after the policia arrived and hauled me off. I put up with a lot from fools, simply becasue fools are fools, but not if it's directed toward her or my kiddos.

metro
02-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Junior's isn't all that great IMO anyways. If you want to shell out for a steak and atmosphere, go to Red Prime, costs about the same.

istilldon'tgetit
02-20-2009, 01:29 PM
No restauarant is giong to miss out on the single busiest day of the year. it's like asking the church with out enough folding chairs to be closed on Easter, just not gonna happen. And yes, the Mgt. of these places do need to be as prepared as possible, however, they only have so many waiters on staff, they have only so much room in their kitchens. So to base your opinions of a placed based on the most ridiculous night of the year seems a little harsh. All of that being said, Junior's is what it is, very expensive and not that great, but the history and atmosphere make it one of my favorite places in the city.

oh, and lastly, sending your food back on a night that busy, just slows EVERYBODY else's food too.

CarltonsKeeper
02-27-2009, 02:11 PM
THANKS FOR RUINING MY VALENTINES DAY!

I just wanted to warn others of this restaurant so they do not fall victim to the new management! My mother- and father-in-law have been eating at Junior's on Northwest Expressway for over 30 years. I have been once before 4 or 5 years ago and the experience was excellent. So, I made reservations for Valentine's Day to surprise my wife with a nice dinner at (what used to be) an excellent restaurant. We were joined by her parents as they wanted to have a nice night out also. The dinner started out fine, that is until the food arrived.

I had ordered the Filet Mignon (medium) and it was well done (I stress well done). I had to send it back and when the new one arrived, it was rare... I had to have it fixed too. My wife ordered the lobster tail with garlic mashed potatoes. The entire plate was cold and had to be send back to warm it up. My mother-in-law ordered a lobster tail with a potato and her entire plate was also sent back because it was cold. My father-in-law ordered a steak and garlic mashed potatoes and the potatoes were cold and the steak was a little over cooked. He had to have his sent back.

At the end of service, we asked for the manager and the owner came over. We explained what happened and that we were VERY disappointed with the service. He grabbed my shoulder and my wife shoulder and leaned over the table and told us that "we needed to cut him a break. He is trying to serve 170 people and that he is doing the best he can. All he could do was say sorry." He told us that he was going to go find out what had happened and that he would be right back. He dissapeared into the kitchen and was not seen again. We decided to leave about 15 minutes later. When we were leaving, he happened to come out of the bar area (where he had gone to try to hide) right into our path. We again told him that our service was horrible and that we would not be returning. He again grabbed my wifes arm and told her that we needed to cut him a break and that all he could do was say sorry.

We told him that he had much bigger issues as the table next to ours had also send ALL of their food back and the table behind ours waited over an hour before the waiter walked up and asked "has anyone taken your order yet?"

I want to warn others to NEVER go to this restaurant as the new management has no regard for food service and no customer service skills. When you go to a restaurant and the bill is over $300, this is not the kind of service you would expect! THIS WAS THE WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD!!
This I am glad to KNOW! My wife's birthday is next month and we were planning on going there as we do every March. Like you say $300 bucks means some good food and excellent service to go with it! I wonder if the Haunted House since reopening would be any good?

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Has anyone eaten at Junior's since Valentine's Day to see if it is back to normal?

JuJuBeans
11-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I wanted to go there today, because I had a wonderful evening 7 or 8 years ago, but not I'm scared. Has anyone been back? I've read other reviews online, and they aren't too great either.

metro
11-14-2009, 08:26 PM
overrated! Go to redprime if you want top notch

JuJuBeans
11-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I never hear about Junior's anymore so, had no idea it was overrated, thanks for the info. I ended up not going and went to my favourite restaurant, The Museum Cafe instead.

Hmm.. well, the service at Red Prime is great, but last time I went my salad greens were bruised/wilted/soggy/inedible and my bf's steak was cooked a bit more medium than the medium rare he had ordered, my fudge cake was burnt, but I have to say I love the drinks and the slivered asparagus side. Maybe, I'm just picky, I'll give it another try next weekend.

epriddy
11-18-2009, 04:00 PM
I have only been to Junior's twice. My first trip was amazing. The salmon was the best I have ever had! A few months later, after bragging about the place, my now husband and I returned with his parents and sister. The salmon was okay at best, the service was not that great, and the steaks were average. Talk about inconsistent!

gen70
11-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Back in the 70's Jrs. was great, sad to hear it has slipped.