View Full Version : Just Got A Hot Tip

SoonerBorn1973
02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
I have several friends who work at each station and one has just told me they're station will be the first to make the switch to HD within the next two weeks. I thought I would see if I can have some fun with you guys and see if you can guess which one it will be.

The answer may surprise you.

bretthexum
02-14-2009, 02:11 PM
4?? I saw a couple of days ago that part of their newscast was in HD

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-14-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't care who it is...It's about freakin' time.

Thunder
02-16-2009, 01:43 AM
I would guess 4, but since you knew about the discussion of 4 being in HD, you're saying that we'll be surprised at which station will be switching gears. So, with that in consideration, most of us is thinking it will be 4, hence you're saying that we'll be surprised when it is not 4. The most logical sense would be 9, since they spent millions on new facilities, upgrades, and equipments. Now with that being the logical sense, you're still hinting that we'll still be surprised, so that leaves us with 5.

That's assuming you're only talking about the 3 major stations.

Martin
02-16-2009, 05:44 AM
my guess is oeta! -M

SoonerBorn1973
02-16-2009, 06:53 AM
I would guess 4, but since you knew about the discussion of 4 being in HD, you're saying that we'll be surprised at which station will be switching gears. So, with that in consideration, most of us is thinking it will be 4, hence you're saying that we'll be surprised when it is not 4. The most logical sense would be 9, since they spent millions on new facilities, upgrades, and equipments. Now with that being the logical sense, you're still hinting that we'll still be surprised, so that leaves us with 5.

You just blew my freaking mind.

JBuzz7373
02-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Cardinals were wrongfully robbed.

How can you be rightfully robbed?

Midtowner
02-16-2009, 07:43 AM

In other words, there's a 33% chance it'll be 4, 5 or 9. (leaving a 1%, rounded up for OETA).

Considering my ability to make up statistical likelihoods, I need to consider a career in OKC sports journalism.

Martin
02-16-2009, 07:49 AM
i would guess 4, but since you knew about the discussion of 4 being in hd, you're saying that we'll be surprised at which station will be switching gears. so, with that in consideration, most of us is thinking it will be 4, hence you're saying that we'll be surprised when it is not 4. the most logical sense would be 9, since they spent millions on new facilities, upgrades, and equipments. now with that being the logical sense, you're still hinting that we'll still be surprised, so that leaves us with 5.
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/snackeru/greet/images/vizzini.jpg
so i CLEARLY can't choose the station in front of you!!!!1111one

-M (totally should've gone with that joke in the first place... sorry.)

metro
02-16-2009, 10:42 AM
HOT TIP??? What do you mean, they've all been making their switch date fully aware and sending out press releases, etc. This isn't insider information. Channel KAUT43(is owned by KFOR) and 43 is going DIGITAL (DTV) not HD (there is a difference) tomorrow, they are leaving their bigger reach station KFOR 4 on SD so they don't lose any viewers and see what kind of loss of viewership and any other problems might happen on the much smaller KAUT. FOX, CW and KWTV are all going digital tomorrow as the scheduled date. KOCO and KFOR are the only two major local stations that are staying SD until the new extended DTV deadline.

TaoMaas
02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
HOT TIP??? What do you mean, they've all been making their switch date fully aware and sending out press releases, etc.

They've been talking about the switch to digital...not HD. I think he's saying that one of the stations is getting ready to start doing their news in HD.

bsmall
02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
OETA already broadcasts their news in HD, so whatever station it is was already beaten months ago.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/snackeru/greet/images/vizzini.jpg
so i CLEARLY can't choose the station in front of you!!!!1111one

-M (totally should've gone with that joke in the first place... sorry.)

Bravo! Well played!

metro
02-17-2009, 07:39 AM
http://www.newsok.com/article/3346392

SoonerBorn1973
02-18-2009, 04:30 AM
http://www.newsok.com/article/3346392

I thought a poster clarified for me earlier but apparently some people need it spelled out for them:

When I said one of the stations was making the switch to HD, I meant their newscasts would be broadcast in H-I-G-H D-E-F-I-N-I-T-I-O-N. This has nothing to do with the switch to the digital transmission conversion that every station has to do by June 12th. Are we clear?

:backtotop

Incidentally, I just talked to that person yesterday and was told that management at that particular station, despite telling all of their employees the switch to HD is coming in the next 10-14 days, are now starting to backtrack a little. While all of the photogs are being issued their fancy new HD cameras and being trained to use the new HD editing programs, and the studio HD cameras should arrive this week, there is control room equipment that may not arrive in time for that station to reach their self-set deadline. I'll try to keep you updated.

Thunder
02-18-2009, 05:03 AM
I understand what you were talking bout.

Now, spill it out! You do want OKC Talk to be 1st with this kind of news, dontcha?

drumsncode
02-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Yeah, tell us! I don't like to be teased! Don't let TheLostOgle scoop this board!

TaoMaas
02-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Maybe we'll have to do it by process of elimination. I don't think it's Ch. 9 because I believe they upgraded all their equipment to HD capable back when they re-did their set and control rooms a year or two ago.

drum4no1
02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Man I would tell you everything but my screen name identifies me too easily to certain folks in charge.

metro
02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I'll be surprised if any of the go FULL HD for awhile. I do business with all the local stations and COX on a weekly basis and they've all told me they are years off due to the cost, primarily since all are corporately owned by cheap out of state interests that don't want to invest in our market. I'm confident it isn't KFOR/KAUT. If anything it's probably KWTV or KSBI since KWTV is family owned and KSBI is building a brand new studio, so it'd make sense to build all HD from the start.

Thunder
02-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Take a look at the latest KOCO's Weather Blog. Rick mentioned about them being so busy (12 hours work days) which is why there wasn't no blog post for several days. There seem to be major works in progress over there.

KOCO.com - Weather Blog (http://www.koco.com/weatherblog/index.html)

Read the post - Yes... We're Still Here... With New Toys

kimard
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Just noticed KFOR was in 16:9 high definition again tonight during the Great State segment...

OKCisOK4me
02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
It's KSBI-52. I have a friend that works there. Thanks for playing.

Stinger
02-21-2009, 08:34 PM

Was gonna be my guess since they're owned by the Thunder group now. Will be nice when they broadcast Thunder games.

drumsncode
02-22-2009, 08:17 AM

I love it, you made me laugh out loud with your ending line. Now I can relax, cause I hate to be teased.

Do we get any of those "lovely parting gifts"? Maybe a home board-game?

Thunder
02-22-2009, 08:37 AM
Remember, no other place can claim it 1st.

OKC Talk, your #1 inside scoop source.

OKCisOK4me
02-22-2009, 03:11 PM
You also gotta consider that they really only have two newscasts. One at 5:30pm & one at 6:30pm. All the other stations are morning news, noon news, afternoon news, evening news, & late night news. That's the reason they can't afford it! Obviously their 'old school' line up of television shows will still run in SD but it'll be nice to see cam remotes and studio shots in actual HD. Now all they need to do is boost their digital signal--which I'm sure is in the works with the new station they're building out on Northwest Expressway--so my indoor HDTV antenna will not cut in and out so much when it's way too windy!!

metro
02-23-2009, 10:48 AM
You mean Kilpatrick Turnpike.

OKCisOK4me
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
You mean Kilpatrick Turnpike.

You mean THE GENERAL VICINITY. I've talked to my friend that works at KSBI. I think he would know where the new studio is. Then again, he's always coming to me for directions...

Centerback
02-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Was gonna be my guess since they're owned by the Thunder group now. Will be nice when they broadcast Thunder games.

No Doubt! The non HD broadcasts of the Thunder games on KSBI are horrific, too brutal to even watch.

SoonerBorn1973
02-24-2009, 08:59 PM

This got a good chuckle out of me.

KSBI refuses to give their field photogs cameras made in this century so I seriously doubt they'll be making the move anytime soon. Not to mention I'm hearing pretty strong rumors that Aubrey is going to use his controlling stake to completely get rid of the news department. And yes, that came from friends I have who work there.

Anyway, some of you have pretty much seen who is making the move first. Not to mention I noticed one of the weatherman from this particular station let it slip today that the move to HD was coming (He even mentioned the new HD cameras they have in the studio).

The cat will be out of the bag soon.

Thunder
02-24-2009, 11:44 PM
KOCO? Rick mentioned about the station being busy for changes.

drum4no1
02-25-2009, 04:18 PM
2+2=??

KSBI cant even light a studio , what makes you think they will do HD. I know a few present and many more FORMER ( theres a reason)employees.

Nermel
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
If Aubrey is having to sell his personal wine collection, and invest more money into KSBI to cover "operating expenses", something tells me that cutting costs will be a priority.

Hello express credit auto infomercials 24/7 (except during thunder games). Incidentally, the customer testimonials in their infomercials are worth watching.

OKCisOK4me
02-27-2009, 01:26 AM
2+2=??

KSBI cant even light a studio , what makes you think they will do HD. I know a few present and many more FORMER ( theres a reason)employees.

Who cares! Just think of it this way:

This thread was started on Valentines Day with a hint that our answer would be revealed within a couple of weeks. So Relax! Our hearts will all be mended quite soon...

SoonerBorn1973
02-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Finally got an update from my insider. :kicking:

Newsroom staff finish up on training in the new editing equipment this week. All of the photogs have their new HD cameras. All the studio HD cameras are already in use. All the live trucks have been upgraded to HD gear. And the engineering staff has just about wrapped up the installation in the control room. While it is later than the original target date, it looks like we are about a week away from the first fully High Def local news broadcast (barring some unforseen circumstances).:woowoo:

Thunder
02-27-2009, 10:19 PM
And the station is?

drum4no1
02-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Read my post, its easy as 2+2

I work there BTW

drumsncode
02-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Read my post, its easy as 2+2

I work there BTW

I may be missing the boat here, but it takes a drummer to solve a drummer's riddle.

It hit me right in the face, like the forest I couldn't see because the trees were in the way.

2+2 = 4 = KFOR

And just in time for March Sweeps! Ah yes, the most competitive market in the U.S. (or close to it!)

drum4no1
02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I may be missing the boat here, but it takes a drummer to solve a drummer's riddle.

It hit me right in the face, like the forest I couldn't see because the trees were in the way.

2+2 = 4 = KFOR

And just in time for March Sweeps! Ah yes, the most competitive market in the U.S. (or close to it!)

:Smiley247 I suspect another station wont be far behind. They have been close to HD longer than everyone but OETA.

bsmall
03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen KFOR broadcasting the "Great State" segment in HD, I've uploaded a clip to youtube. Looks pretty good.
YouTube - KFOR HD broadcast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYxMO0CS6JQ&fmt=22)

TaoMaas
03-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Ah yes, the most competitive market in the U.S. (or close to it!) It truly is! For years, 9 and 4 have taken turns swapping out the #1 spot for having the highest rated 10pm newscast in America. Whenever one was on top, the other would be in the top 5. And even before it started coming on over the last few years, Ch. 5 would be in the top 25. Now, though, Ch. 5 has been able to claim top billing in their early newscast. Overall, we should feel lucky that all of our stations out-perform for their market size.

Thunder
03-03-2009, 07:17 AM
That was the best YouTube video quality ever! Even better, it came from KFOR!

SPata
03-04-2009, 03:10 PM
I have several friends who work at each station and one has just told me they're station will be the first to make the switch to HD within the next two weeks. I thought I would see if I can have some fun with you guys and see if you can guess which one it will be.

The answer may surprise you.

um yea...its been over two weeks since you started this thread and over four weeks since i first saw kfor broadcast 'is this a great state or what?'. so when is the switch coming?

SoonerBorn1973
03-04-2009, 08:15 PM
um yea...its been over two weeks since you started this thread and over four weeks since i first saw kfor broadcast 'is this a great state or what?'. so when is the switch coming?

Good question.

Every time I ask I'm told the "powers that be" say it will be one more week. I'm really starting to regret opening my big mouth. :doh:

Anyway, I know it's coming just not sure when. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up (of course, this just goes to show why the station didn't make an public announcement as to when they were switching to Hi Def).

Move along, nothing to see here.

OKCisOK4me
03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Good question.

Every time I ask I'm told the "powers that be" say it will be one more week. I'm really starting to regret opening my big mouth. :doh:

Anyway, I know it's coming just not sure when. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up (of course, this just goes to show why the station didn't make an public announcement as to when they were switching to Hi Def).

Move along, nothing to see here.

Okay Obi-Won Kenobe

OKCisOK4me
03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Okay, so I'm watching Channel 4 tonight--good job with the 2+2 thing--and I see on their mics 'HD'. Ya know what? You can't use mics that say HD if you're not going to be broadcasting in HD. IT'S AN F'IN TEASE!!!!!!

I'm not liking Channel 4 much these days...

drum4no1
03-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Then dont watch channel 4 then, solves your problem eh???

Thunder
03-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Channel 4 got it right when it came to recent weather event.

OKCisOK4me
03-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Then dont watch channel 4 then, solves your problem eh???

Ur missing the point (put explicative name here). You don't slap a V8 logo on a car that's a 4 banger. That's not selling your product in an honest fashion. Channel 4 is jumping the gun. They need to lose the HD label on the mics until their broadcasts are truly in high def!

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
03-13-2009, 09:05 AM
I am a hot tip!

drum4no1
03-13-2009, 03:31 PM
bada bing!!

drum4no1
03-13-2009, 03:32 PM

OKCisOK4me
03-13-2009, 06:19 PM

I feel ya!

drum4no1
03-13-2009, 06:35 PM
wanna get a beer and forget this nonsense??

drumsncode
03-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone wants to watch KFOR in Hi-Def in the first place! Sorry, just my opinion.

Maybe we need a new thread that talks about which newscast people watch and why. The old polls are very outdated.

We've got stations killing themselves trying to get ratings, and it sure seems like the Nielsen sample is pitifully small. Our stations would die to know why we do or don't watch, because it's money and their careers on the line!

They all claim to welcome feedback, but from the sound of it, many stations just ignore it and keep right on doing what they want, or just blindly copying whatever KWTV does.

Thunder
03-14-2009, 11:47 AM
I watch KFOR.

I read KOCO's weather blog.