View Full Version : Looking to make a few good friends

plaidpixel
02-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey all --

I hope this is okay to post.

I've lived in OKC for about 6 years now -- 4 of which was for college. I stuck around because I liked it here and got a great job. But, little by little my college friends have been moving away and I realized I'd like to make some new connections. Life is all about the people you share it with, and lately my circle has been getting smaller and smaller!

I work for a small company, so that doesn't give me a lot of "friend leads"... and honestly the church I go to is 99% people way above my age. I guess that could be something I change to meet some new people.

I guess this is a fairly loser-ish thing to post to the internet, but I really don't think I am a sad little loser dude! I usually don't have any problem making friends, I just realized I didn't know where to start...

Anyway, just wondered if you had any suggestions where an easygoing, drug-free, non-drinking 24 year old guy like me could make some new connections. Heck, if you're around my age and looking for the same, give me a shout.

Just to be clear - I'm looking for friends only, I already have a date! :) Speaking of, I guess I should start getting ready for tonight's plans -- happy Valentine's day everyone!

-Stephen

absonjourney
02-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey Stephen-

I pastor a church in NW OKC where a lot of 20 somethings gather. We have a group meeting on the Southside as well. Shoot me an email at tjfokc@gmail.com and I'll pass along my cell phone info etc.

Hope the date goes good!

Ryan

MikeOKC
02-15-2009, 03:53 AM
Hope something works out for you Stephen. Sounds like you need a buddy. I've lived in a city where I knew nobody and it was hard to make friends but it finally happened through work. I wish I had more ideas, I remember how awful it was the first year in Kansas City.

danielf1935
02-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Hey all --

I hope this is okay to post.

I've lived in OKC for about 6 years now -- 4 of which was for college. I stuck around because I liked it here and got a great job. But, little by little my college friends have been moving away and I realized I'd like to make some new connections. Life is all about the people you share it with, and lately my circle has been getting smaller and smaller!

I work for a small company, so that doesn't give me a lot of "friend leads"... and honestly the church I go to is 99% people way above my age. I guess that could be something I change to meet some new people.

I guess this is a fairly loser-ish thing to post to the internet, but I really don't think I am a sad little loser dude! I usually don't have any problem making friends, I just realized I didn't know where to start...

Anyway, just wondered if you had any suggestions where an easygoing, drug-free, non-drinking 24 year old guy like me could make some new connections. Heck, if you're around my age and looking for the same, give me a shout.

Just to be clear - I'm looking for friends only, I already have a date! :) Speaking of, I guess I should start getting ready for tonight's plans -- happy Valentine's day everyone!

-Stephen

The Church I attend would fit you perfectly, at least 1/2 of the members are in your age group, and the serivce/music are geard toward the younger generation (18--30), I'm almost 50, and I love this church, it's a very layed back, come as you are church. We may be to far for you to drive, were located at SW 127 and Western, next door to Westmoore High School.

When you have time, check out the web site, www.westmoorecommunitychurch.com

jbrown84
02-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I know exactly how you feel. Life after college is a big adjustment and if you don't work w/ or go to church with people your age, then you have to get a little more creative.

1) If you are interested in a different church, you might check out Campus Church (Campus Church OKC (http://www.campuschurch.tv)). They are a pretty new church focusing on your age group and they meet on the OCU campus. They have homegroups meeting at various places around the city. Also, they meet Sunday evenings, so if you are attached to your current church, you could attend both.

2) Cuppies and Joe is a coffee/dessert shop on 23rd Street near the Asian District and the Paseo. It's a hoppin place and might serve the same purpose that a bar would. They are open pretty late I believe.

3) You might try to find an organization to get involved in. I don't know your interests, but if you let us know, we might have some suggestions.

DaveSkater
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Take up hobbies dude!

I started inline aggressive skating at the skatepark's 2 years ago and I've made 4 GOOD friends, several other buddies and a lot of acquaintences. I'm 44 and all my old buddies have either moved away, died, etc... and I didn't realize how few actual friends I had until I started collecting them! LOL

Granted, I'm as old as many of their parents, but hey! Age is subjective and not as important as you'd think.

Some ideas of hobbies that lend themselves to finding hangout buddies:
Mountain or road biking
Skating (either skatepark type or speed type)
Skateboarding
Windsailing
Kiteboarding
Bowling
Shooting (target at the ranges)
Jetskiing / Boating / Wakeboarding
Just to name a few.....

Good luck!

plaidpixel
02-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey, thanks for all the replies. As I re-read my message now it sounds even more pathetic that I remembered, haha, but the wasn't the intent. Thanks for the great ideas -- I hadn't really thought about getting involved with hobby-related groups, as simple as that sounds!

Thanks to each of you who recommended a church. I may end up thinking about going somewhere with a wider group of people my age, but it seems silly to leave a great place just because everyone is a little older than you.

Thanks again!

Joe Kimball
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I have a few friends that go to two churches; they'll go to one on Wednesday and one on Sunday, or alternate visits, attend a home group of one, etc. That might be an option to spread out.

Also, with regard to "laid-back" churches"---I don't think I've ever attended a church that wasn't "laid-back" in dress code, at least within reason---that is, some might wear suits or accessories thereof, but most will dress down. Where are the churches that enforce a dress code (specifics aren't necessary)?