View Full Version : Perfect vacation place to take kids

DaveSkater
02-13-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm taking my two little valentines to the Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine Texas this weekend.

There is an indoor waterpark that is totally awesome. We've been a few times, and my kiddos are totally stoked!

Jacob_Daddy
02-16-2009, 09:04 AM
How was it? I have seen the advertisements for it, but never been.

westsidesooner
02-16-2009, 09:19 AM
I've mentioned GWL in several others threads, I think it would be a great attraction if we could get one near bricktown. What better place to spend a weekend with the kiddos....esp. in winter. How was your experience as an adult? Were the rooms nice, affordable? How about the food and service? I'd be interested in knowing what its like for the whole family. Theres one in KC and my sister said its great. Hope you and your Valentines had a great time... I caught myself humming along to their theme song the other day on the radio....pretty catchy.

Jesseda
02-16-2009, 09:39 AM
so tell us more on how the great wolf lodge was? I really like the grand country in branson, it has mii-golf. indoor water park. and shopping and stuff like that. never been to a gwl

DaveSkater
02-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Oh it's a blast. We've been several times now. The rooms are nice and the park is a blast. It's a little pricey but you get what you pay for. Compared to White Water here, it's a bargain.

We really like it because it's 5 miles from the GrapeVine Mills Mall. There's a Woodward Skatepark in that mall that is world class.

Good times!

And Jesseda, I'm glad to hear about that Grand Country, as I usually take an annual company trip to Branson. We'll have to try that one this year.

metro
02-17-2009, 08:41 AM
I've mentioned GWL in several others threads, I think it would be a great attraction if we could get one near bricktown. What better place to spend a weekend with the kiddos....esp. in winter. How was your experience as an adult? Were the rooms nice, affordable? How about the food and service? I'd be interested in knowing what its like for the whole family. Theres one in KC and my sister said its great. Hope you and your Valentines had a great time... I caught myself humming along to their theme song the other day on the radio....pretty catchy.

Keep it out of Bricktown please, but it would be a welcome addition to OKC metro.

westsidesooner
02-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Keep it out of Bricktown please, but it would be a welcome addition to OKC metro.

Agreed. I did some google-earthing the other day to check out the GWL's in KC and Grapevine. The one in Grapevine is huge, and while the one in KC is smaller (closer to an OKC scale) I noticed that they are both located near other BIG attractions. While OKC doesn't have a nascar track or a gaylord world type attraction I still like the concept. I was originally thinking somewhere just out of Bricktown, maybe just east of 235 and north of reno. But also thought how cool it would be if we extended the canal to where the cotton gin area is now and located a GWL in that location after the cotton gin moves to the old plant on council. Still in the heart of OKC (unlike the other cities) but I just don't see anything on our outskirts that would work very well as a destination standpoint. Maybe near I-35 and I-44 would work near Remington Park and the cowboy hall. Frontier city doesn't seem big enough to lure out of towners.

Jesseda
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
i was thinking the same gwl would be great around th entertainment district especially if they add a train route to and from bricktown

CaptDave
02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Sounds like it would be great at the soon to be vacant Crossroads Mall location. Large open area, adequate parking, on the potential rail line.........

metro
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I agree, I think ideal spot #1 would be the Adventure District and it'd really help spur some much needed growth over there. If not, Crossroads Mall location would have enough room and high visibility, and would also clean up some blight. Let the email campaign to GWL begin...........

DaveSkater
02-19-2009, 12:01 PM
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/49/l_5c48dfe6267f4f5793b46235bb51fdde.jpg

NikonNurse
02-20-2009, 07:26 PM
We were there the same weekend. The magic quest was cool also (extravagant scavenger hunt.) We took the Flyer down and took a car to the lodge...

soonergirl
02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I love GWL too! The rides are great. They opened an outdoor area last year as well. Price isn't TOO bad if you consider it includes waterpark tickets for the whole room for the day before and after your stay....

DaveSkater
02-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Definately when you factor in the crowd (or lack thereof).
If you want to ride some serious waterslides instead of standing in line, this is the place to do it. Go in the middle of the week when school is in session and you can slide till you drop.

southgirl
02-27-2009, 08:27 AM
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/49/l_5c48dfe6267f4f5793b46235bb51fdde.jpg

Yes great wolf is one of our states better parks. A whole bunch of fun.

Karried
03-04-2009, 02:58 PM
We went to Castaway Bay in Ohio.. same concept.. what a lifesaver when the Ohio's skies decided to rain on our parade! The indoor waterpark was a huge hit for the family! It did run about $300 a night but once you factor in the water park admission, it wasn't too bad.

Now a waterpark topic wouldn't be complete without mention of Schlitterbahn.. the Ultimate in Water parks...only a few more hours (well, about six maybe???) but well worth it .

soonergirl
03-17-2009, 10:56 AM
A Sclitterbahn is being built in Kansas City! :) It will have an indoor portion.

westsidesooner
03-17-2009, 12:38 PM
A Sclitterbahn is being built in Kansas City! :) It will have an indoor portion.

I had no idea they were building one in KC. I looked online and found a couple of renderings of it. I'm jealous. It might be worth a trip up there this summer!!!

http://www.alphaee.com/images/schlitterbahn/Schlitterbahn2.jpg

http://www.alphaee.com/images/schlitterbahn/Schlitterbahn.jpg

Their website: http://www.schlitterbahn.com/kc/default.htm

And another with renderings: Berger Devine Yaeger + Architecture + Interiors + Planning > Schlitterbahn Vacation Village (http://bergerdevineyaeger.com/architecture/entertainment/schlitterbahnvv.html)