View Full Version : Upscale Bar & Grill to open on Western

jstanthrnme
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Supposedly a new upscale bar & grill will be opening up in the former location of the Iguana Lounge Mexican Grill at NW 67th and Western. Does anyone have additional information?

metro
02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
No, but it's about time something opens up in that building.

Centerback
02-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm just glad it's going to be upscale.

John
02-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I noticed a construction dumpster out front of the building yesterday.

kevinpate
02-12-2009, 04:34 AM
good news for those who dine and imbibe in that area. If n western needs anything, it's another b&g 8^)

jstanthrnme
02-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I wonder about the viability of a new upper tier restaurant in this economic climate. Especially when a number of others are already established in the area.

tuck
02-12-2009, 08:18 AM
That building is a dump; should demo and start over.

jstanthrnme
02-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Agreed, in its current state, a dive bar is probably more suitable.

Flyfish23
02-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Jeff Records owns that building and will not let some dive bar open in that location. It should have some good people behind it given his track record.

jbrown84
02-18-2009, 09:43 PM
That building is a dump; should demo and start over.

If tuck says that, I believe it.

CarltonsKeeper
02-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know why the original Iquana Grill closed down?

progressiveboy
03-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know why the original Iquana Grill closed down? They relocated to AA off of 9th and Broadway just to the east next to the new cupcake bakery.

FritterGirl
03-02-2009, 07:50 PM
They relocated to AA off of 9th and Broadway just to the east next to the new cupcake bakery.

While it is true that the new Iguana Grill is on 9th and Broadway, Iguana did not close just to move to this new location, which is a slightly different concept than the old Iguana Lounge. There was a several-year gap between the closing of the old Iguana Lounge, and the new Iguana Grill.

I don't know why the old Iguana finally closed when it did. I heard several rumors at the time (change in management, owners tried upscale concept within Iguana which failed, other issues), but don't know what held true.

I would bet someone here does not and can answer Carlton's question.

Glad someone is finally taking that space, although I'll be sad to see the painted walls (gasp! - graffiti) go. I love those purple and green Iguanas!

Prunepicker
03-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Whatever it is, I hope it's local. Local is important to Oklahoma City, or any
other city for that matter.

The Iguana Lounge was very good. At any rate, I liked it very much.

Speaking of local restaurants...

When Prunette and I go out of town we look for local flavor. Chains are out
of the question. Although there are some very good chains, why go some
place that you can go anywhere? It doesn't make sense.

If there was one piece of advice, this old guy can give, it would be to never
eat at place where you can eat in your town.

Chains stink. That's my incredibly informative opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

onthestrip
11-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Does anyone have any updates on this? Ive noticed that remodeling has been going on for a bit now and it seems its closer to completion.

icecold
12-04-2009, 05:28 PM
bueller? bueller? bueller?

Edmond Earl
12-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I heard it was a new concept from the Johnny's group. I'm just not sure what that means exactly. Nor am I sure if that excites me.

Prunepicker
12-04-2009, 08:44 PM
I heard it was a new concept from the Johnny's group. I'm just not sure what
that means exactly. Nor am I sure if that excites me.
Me neither. Johnnie's does good burgers, though. But an upscale bar?

Will they have live entertainment? Not pop culture or kenny g crap, but
real entertainment? Something like the Deacon Don jazz quartet. I've
heard them at Maker's and Mickey Mantle's. They are incredible. Has
anyone heard them?

At any rate, I hope it's a good "upscale bar & grill" and not a pop culture
nightmare like Martini's in Edmond.

Edmond Earl
12-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Me neither. Johnnie's does good burgers, though. But an upscale bar?

Will they have live entertainment? Not pop culture or kenny g crap, but
real entertainment? Something like the Deacon Don jazz quartet. I've
heard them at Maker's and Mickey Mantle's. They are incredible. Has
anyone heard them?

At any rate, I hope it's a good "upscale bar & grill" and not a pop culture
nightmare like Martini's in Edmond.

I think this is going to be a more casual dining place. Not a place anything like Martini Lounge.

john60
12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Sounds like it may be similar to Republic...

Has Johnnie's ever done anything like this before? The only other thing I know of them doing differently than their original chain is Johnnie's Express (basically the same thing + a drive thru and drive-in) and the gelato shop next to the original.

jstanthrnme
12-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I talked to some of the construction workers in mid-October, and they have told me that the owners keep changing the concept and that they didn't think it would be done until late December. Seems like its still a ways off from being finished, more like spring if I were to guess.

But I snuck in there a few weeks ago before it was boarded up and the title on the blueprint was "Iguana Lounge". Probably because no concept is in place. I couldn't imagine a Johnnies would want to open there with Irma's and Earl's being so close..

john60
12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I agree. No way they do a burger or BBQ only concept...but there's definitely a big "sports bar" void in the area. Ever since Varsity closed, the closest place to go order a bunch of wings, a plate of cheese fries, and a cheap draft beer is Buffalo Wild Wings. Varsity's food may have been mediocre, but they definitely held a niche that hasn't been filled since along the Western Corridor north of 50th. I really think they could be very succesful if they pull off an O'Connell's type concept right--they need to keep the family in mind though. They also don't need to try to be any more "upscale" than that, because Republic will beat them head to head. I think they can make a simple concept work, and still co-exist nicely with Republic. I think. It'll be interesting, but I'm excited to see both, because I think they'll both be great additions.

jstanthrnme
01-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I've found out that the name of this restaurant will be Bovine Steakhouse.

Prunepicker
01-22-2010, 11:19 PM
This has probably been answered. Where is it located?

kevinpate
01-23-2010, 05:47 AM

Better than Equine Steakhouse ... but not by much

PennyQuilts
01-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Better than Equine Steakhouse ... but not by much

Oh Kevin.

jbrown84
01-27-2010, 06:03 PM

Seriously?? Good luck with that...

windowphobe
01-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Just once I want to see an upscale bar & grill named "Upscale Bar & Grill."

Alternatively, I'd like to see one called "Barangrill," after the Joni Mitchell song.

fuzzytoad
01-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Seriously?? Good luck with that...

I actually kinda like it

Prunepicker
01-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Where is this located?

OKCTalker
02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
6714 N. Western. I'm voting "no" on "Bovine."

Urbanized
02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Iguana was/is owned by Steve Mason (Cardinal Engineering). Steve also owns Earl's Rib Palace, developed the building his company is in on Broadway (which also houses Coffee Slingers and Bicycle Alley), plus is developing the 9th Street E. of Broadway stuff.

The story I heard on Iguana (not from Steve, mind you) was that the building was just an incredible liability and frustration, and the restaraunt was only marginal in that incarnation anyway. The difficulties with the building made it not worth all of the hassle, although they knew Iguana was a good concept with a loyal following.

They also were putting a lot of effort into the Earl's brand, which was having great success and was expanding into Bricktown. Steve let the Iguana lease expire, closed down and hoped to re-open elsewhere at some point, which he has done now to rave reviews and tons of business. Steve was lucky enough to get Iguana's old manager back, Robert Painter, and also got Ryan Parrott as chef. Ryan has really made the place sizzle, both with an updated menu and real skill with social media and marketing ideas.

I hope I got the story right, but that's how I've heard it.

Urbanized
02-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Also, regarding the old Iguana location, I drove by the other day and it looked like it was more than a gutting and less than a full demo, if that makes any sense. Looks like not much of the original building will be recognizable.