View Full Version : Life Cycle on Google Street View

traxx
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
What do you folks think the life cycle is for this? Every 5 years? More? Less?

Street view is an awfully big undertaking in the first place but they have to know that they'll have to update Street View every so often. Just think about OKC. In the next 5 years OKC could look very different with a new section of I-40, a new boulevard, the Devon tower, Core to Shore beginning etc.

shane453
02-10-2009, 03:34 PM
They're really focused on international expansion right now. I don't know if it would be worth their investment to update it every five years. It could be ten or longer. Possibly downtown areas of major cities will be updated more often.

OKCisOK4me
02-10-2009, 06:12 PM
You're probably just going to have to rely on the overhead satellite shots from most websites or the cool birds eye views from MSN. Both of those should be updated every two years or so.

traxx
02-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Well the Google satellite view is quite dated. I can see that it'd be easier to update satellite views than street view though. I just don't think Google thought about all this before doing it. To go international and try to pretty much map the developed world with street view is such a huge undertaking. They'd have to know that things would change and it'd need to be updated every so often. And now so many people use and rely on street view.

metro
02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm sure Google is smarter than us and have a plan in place........they didn't get this far for nothing.