View Full Version : New construction at Kelly & Covell?

jdbells
02-09-2009, 08:25 PM
There seems to be a new pad being cleared just west of the Walgreens. Does anyone know what's going in there? I've heard rumors of a Chili's or other chain restaurant, but wanted to know if anyone knows for sure.

hipsterdoofus
02-10-2009, 07:58 AM
There seems to be a new pad being cleared just west of the Walgreens. Does anyone know what's going in there? I've heard rumors of a Chili's or other chain restaurant, but wanted to know if anyone knows for sure.

Hadn't heard yet - don't get out that way much. Seems a bit of a reach yet for that type of restaurant, although I would welcome it since I hate going to places on broadway S of 33rd.

Edmond Earl
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I've heard the Chiles rumor for a few years. I know for sure somewhere at that intersection they are putting a Bagel Cafe that should be open this summer.

OkieHornet
02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
I've heard the Chiles rumor for a few years. I know for sure somewhere at that intersection they are putting a Bagel Cafe that should be open this summer.

Old School Bagel? like the one at Quail Creek?

hipsterdoofus
02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Looks like whatever they build there should have a storm shelter :-O

OKC4me
02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Was there any damage to the walgreens over there?

hipsterdoofus
02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Was there any damage to the walgreens over there?

You know, I never heard - they kept mentioning Mitch Park - for that matter, was there any damage at Lowe's? It looks like from the track that it came from the SW, so it possibly skipped both of those.

bretthexum
02-12-2009, 12:56 PM
There were a few trees down at Mitch park and a little damage near Coffee Creek golf course. They think it kind of skipped after hitting homestead and came back down right south of Oak Tree.

jdbells
02-13-2009, 03:51 PM
There wasn't any damage at Walgreens, but they do have some great pictures of the tornado going almost overhead.

SoonerDustin
02-17-2009, 07:17 AM
There are some pads specifically for restaraunts, but I don't know if Chili's has officially signed on. I can find out today though.

hipsterdoofus
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
There are some pads specifically for restaraunts, but I don't know if Chili's has officially signed on. I can find out today though.

Hurry up Dustin, ya slacker

Midtowner
02-17-2009, 11:49 AM
I grew up through the 80's and 90's at around Coffee Creek and Bryant. Seeing chain restaurants going in out there is just bizarre.

bretthexum
02-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Something up there would be nice. I live close and there is zero nightlife. Even Bryant/2nd St is dead after 10 or 11 PM. I think Chili's bar stays open late doesn't it?

jbrown84
02-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Something up there would be nice. I live close and there is zero nightlife.

No offense, but if you wanted nightlife, why did you settle in NW Edmond, or Edmond period?

hipsterdoofus
02-19-2009, 08:09 AM
No offense, but if you wanted nightlife, why did you settle in NW Edmond, or Edmond period?

Indeed....

Midtowner
02-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Something up there would be nice. I live close and there is zero nightlife. Even Bryant/2nd St is dead after 10 or 11 PM. I think Chili's bar stays open late doesn't it?

Did you forget about Hudson's?

bretthexum
02-19-2009, 09:26 AM

Great question. When we moved here we were told Edmond was the spot to live. We really didn't have much time to research anything. If I could have done it over I wouldn't be living way up there. But it is what it is...

Mid - yes you're right. I forgot about Hudsons.

hipsterdoofus
02-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Great question. When we moved here we were told Edmond was the spot to live. We really didn't have much time to research anything. If I could have done it over I wouldn't be living way up there. But it is what it is...

Mid - yes you're right. I forgot about Hudsons.

I think by live, they meant in your house - maybe not to hang out at places for the nightlife. Doesn't seem that confusing to me.

bretthexum
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I think by live, they meant in your house - maybe not to hang out at places for the nightlife. Doesn't seem that confusing to me.

Yes... house/low crime/schools/etc. I didn't even think about nightlife until we moved in. Oh well... I would have preferred to live closer to downtown but we literally had 3 days to come down from Wisconsin and buy a house.

Midtowner
02-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Bret, it really ain't that bad. OKC is unlike a lot of places where a trip from the 'burbs to the nightlife is a major endeavor. Here, it's 20-30 minutes in a car.. no big deal.

bretthexum
02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
^^ Oh I know. I am just used to living close to the action (in Madison) and stumbling home. I guess there's more to picking a house location than proximity to bars. :)

hipsterdoofus
02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
^^ Oh I know. I am just used to living close to the action (in Madison) and stumbling home. I guess there's more to picking a house location than proximity to bars. :)

May help on your resell value for that matter...

Mr. Conservative
02-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Ahhh yes, nothing like stumbling home from a night out on State Street. I moved from Madison about 4 years ago and live in Edmond now too. I'm always amazed at how early everything shuts down, and it kind of sucks that, living in Edmond, a night out usually includes a bit of driving. Of course, in Madison we were spoiled because there's a bar/and or sports bar on just about every corner.

bretthexum
02-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Ahhh yes, nothing like stumbling home from a night out on State Street. I moved from Madison about 4 years ago and live in Edmond now too. I'm always amazed at how early everything shuts down, and it kind of sucks that, living in Edmond, a night out usually includes a bit of driving. Of course, in Madison we were spoiled because there's a bar/and or sports bar on just about every corner.

I hear that. I loved living there. It's the cold that sucks. Even if you're not a drinker you have a blast there.

isaac
02-28-2009, 03:59 PM
The following just appeared in the City Council minutes. Wish it were a restaurant though.

Case #SP090004 Public Hearing and Consideration of Site Plan Approval for a new photographer studio located approximately 200 feet south of Covell, west of the Walgreens on the southwest corner of Covell and Kelly. (Three Girls Photography)

jdbells
04-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Has anyone heard an update for what is going on at this corner? Rumors are still swirling and now it's being said that a Target or a Sam's Club, or a movie theater along with a small shopping center.