View Full Version : Nascar

Pages : [1] 2

gen70
02-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I am a big NASCAR fan and would like to get a thread started if anyone is interested.

danielf1935
02-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I didn't like NASCAR, and could not understand the fascination that others had, however, 3 years ago my Uncle had tickets to the race at Ft. Worth, I went with him and have been hooked ever since. I enjoy watching it on TV, but if you ever get the chance to go in person, it's well worth the cost. We went to 3 races last year and have plans/tickets for 4 this year.

Watson410
02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I've never been to a NASCAR race. I would love to go to one and also have planned on going to Ft. Worth a couple times, but when it comes down to it my plans always change. I wish there was a way OKC could get on the NASCAR circuit, It would be a HUGE success!! No doubt!

gen70
02-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I didn't like NASCAR, and could not understand the fascination that others had, however, 3 years ago my Uncle had tickets to the race at Ft. Worth, I went with him and have been hooked ever since. I enjoy watching it on TV, but if you ever get the chance to go in person, it's well worth the cost. We went to 3 races last year and have plans/tickets for 4 this year.

I didn't care for NASCAR until I got on a race pool at work in 1999. Now I love it. I know almost all the drivers, owners and crew chiefs names. #88 is my man. I've been to a race at Bristol, and had a blast. I would defiantly go to any race at any track if possible. Oh yeah! the shoot out last night was pretty good.

bluedogok
02-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I was watching it because it is the only racing on at the moment. Not much of a Nascar fan anymore but more of a racing fan. I watch much less of it than I did in the 80's when it was something other than an almost spec car series with the COT, they are nothing but sticker cars now, I much preferred them when they were more based on "stock" cars and it wasn't so much of a soap opera.

I always did and still prefer sports car and Formula 1 but I watch Nascar until the other series get going. I really enjoyed going to races at Hallett.

native
02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I've been a fan for exactly a year now. I met my girlfriend while working in Cleveland, OH. She grew up watching NASCAR and has watched races at all the great historic tracks. I introduced her to MMA and in return she turned me on to NASCAR. The first race I watched was the Bud Shootout last year. She took the time to explain details, strategy and the lingo used during the race. I read over the profiles of all the racers and picked Carl Edwards as my favorite racer (partly because we share the same first name). I had no idea he would do so good last year. My girlfriend can't wait to take me to my first race.

SOONER8693
02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Never thought I would care for NASCAR, then a friend asked me to go to TMS 7/8 years ago, addicted, never miss a race in Texas. It's a blast.

jsibelius
02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
We went to the race in Texas a few years ago too. Had a blast. Need to go again. We try never to miss one on TV. It's mostly Jeff Gordon around our house, but I also like Kasey Kahne.

gen70
02-09-2009, 06:42 AM
I was watching it because it is the only racing on at the moment. Not much of a Nascar fan anymore but more of a racing fan. I watch much less of it than I did in the 80's when it was something other than an almost spec car series with the COT, they are nothing but sticker cars now, I much preferred them when they were more based on "stock" cars and it wasn't so much of a soap opera.

I always did and still prefer sports car and Formula 1 but I watch Nascar until the other series get going. I really enjoyed going to races at Hallett.

I too like most motor sports, just NASCAR alot more, probably because I got into it later. I went to a couple of races at Hallett in the 70's it was a pretty nice track. Is it still in operation?

SOONER8693
02-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh yeh, Jeff Gordon fan also. JJ is sure not much of a team player. He washed up into Jeff and scrubbed off his momentum late in the race Saturday night. Justice I guess when JJ went into the wall.

bluedogok
02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Yep, they still have races and schools up there. I know some motorcycle and car (SCCA/NASA) who race up there from down here in Austin and from Houston.

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit (http://www.hallettracing.com/)

gen70
02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Yep, they still have races and schools up there. I know some motorcycle and car (SCCA/NASA) who race up there from down here in Austin and from Houston.

Hallett Motor Racing Circuit (http://www.hallettracing.com/)

Thanks for the link bluedogok. Hallett is a good looking site. I would like to see it devolped into something like TMS with a NASCAR race.

bluedogok
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
It's a fun track, I have been on it a few times, I plan on getting my own car in the next few years (to run SCCA and NASA) and hope to run up there some as well as the new tracks down here in Texas. It is still a club racing track, none of the pro series are running out there anymore like Trans-Am did years ago. They tend to do more of the street circuit races with ALMS or Indy Car or the bigger, traditional sports car tracks like Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca and the newer tracks like Barber (Birmingham, Alabama) and Miller (Salt Lake City).

I have only been to two "big" races, we went to the Formula 1 races at Indy a couple of years ago and I went to the F1 race in Dallas in 1984.

gen70
02-10-2009, 05:44 AM
It's a fun track, I have been on it a few times, I plan on getting my own car in the next few years (to run SCCA and NASA) and hope to run up there some as well as the new tracks down here in Texas. It is still a club racing track, none of the pro series are running out there anymore like Trans-Am did years ago. They tend to do more of the street circuit races with ALMS or Indy Car or the bigger, traditional sports car tracks like Mid-Ohio, Road America, Laguna Seca and the newer tracks like Barber (Birmingham, Alabama) and Miller (Salt Lake City).

I have only been to two "big" races, we went to the Formula 1 races at Indy a couple of years ago and I went to the F1 race in Dallas in 1984.

Getting off the NASCAR thing a little but, I went to the Indy500 and Laguna Seca races in 1978 both were alot of fun. I don"t know If you have heard of Roy Woods but I used to work for him.

gen70
02-13-2009, 04:22 AM
Who will win the Daytona 500?

kevinpate
02-13-2009, 04:36 AM
The driver who can "go down there and take a left" the best

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-13-2009, 05:40 AM

I'm supposed to run at Hallett twice this year. Not competitively of course...But it'll be my first time running a road course. I've only ran 1/4 mile up until now.

I'm really looking forward to boiling my brake fluid :kicking:

gen70
02-13-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm supposed to run at Hallett twice this year. Not competitively of course...But it'll be my first time running a road course. I've only ran 1/4 mile up until now.

I'm really looking forward to boiling my brake fluid :kicking:

OGtS...Good luck and have fun.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-13-2009, 07:53 AM
OGtS...Good luck and have fun.

I'm sure fun will be had by the truckload.

I'll laugh. I'll cry. I'll break $1,000 in parts. :tiphat:

danielf1935
02-13-2009, 09:25 AM
For all of you local race fans, my son is involved in a racing hobby that's fairly inexpensive (compared to othr forms of racing), he races Off-Road, Nitro Gas powered remote controlled cars. The track is located on SE 59th, between Bryant and Sunnylane, when the weather warms up, they race every Sat. at 5 pm, there no cost to watch, so if your interested or know someone that may be, let them know.

There's a National Race Series (RC PRO), the second round will be at this track in June, it's a 3 day event that will draw 150--200 racers from all over the S. and SE United States.

The tracks website is ActionRC.com

gen70
02-15-2009, 09:27 AM
I would like to see "Little E-#88" win the 500 today but," Mark Martin-#5" looks like he could do it this year. Anyway I'd say one of the Hendrix cars will win it today for sure.

SOONER8693
02-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Pathetic call on NASCAR's part. End the Super Bowl at the end of the 3rd quarter because a drivers from the favorite owner is in the lead. N
ASCAR takes a major black eye on this deal.

bluedogok
02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
It is only the third race called in the history, I understand with 2 hours of rain and with high humidity taking three hours to dry the track why they would call the race. It isn't F1 or sports car racing where the cars are built to have the ability to race in the rain. Running a 3,800 car around those tracks in wet conditions is a disaster waiting to happen. Everyone knows the rules before hand, after 100 laps the race can be called. It does make the race sort of anti-climatic but weather has a way of doing that with a lot of events.

southernskye
02-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Pathetic call on NASCAR's part. End the Super Bowl at the end of the 3rd quarter because a drivers from the favorite owner is in the lead. N
ASCAR takes a major black eye on this deal. You must not watch alot of NASCAR. This was all weather related.

bluedogok
02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
I completely missed that, that argument might work if Jr., Gordon or Johnson were in the lead.

SOONER8693
02-15-2009, 07:44 PM
You must not watch alot of NASCAR. This was all weather related.

Riiiight. Everybody that really believes that is fooling themselves.

southernskye
02-15-2009, 07:45 PM
It is only the third race called in the history, I understand with 2 hours of rain and with high humidity taking three hours to dry the track why they would call the race. It isn't F1 or sports car racing where the cars are built to have the ability to race in the rain. Running a 3,800 car around those tracks in wet conditions is a disaster waiting to happen. Everyone knows the rules before hand, after 100 laps the race can be called. It does make the race sort of anti-climatic but weather has a way of doing that with a lot of events.
According to the Nascar site It was the fourth rain-shortened 500 in the race's 51-year history, and first since Michael Waltrip's 2003 victory.

bluedogok
02-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I heard someone say third on Speed, then after that I think they said fourth on Wind Tunnel so maybe the first statement was wrong.

Stan Silliman
02-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't know a lot about NASCAR but I have written a few articles about some of the unusual things going on in NASCAR:

1) about their history of road rage:
Silliman on Sports - a new sports and humor column (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/NascarRoadRage.html)

2) about NASCAR's tie in with Harlequin Romances
Silliman on Sports - a new sports and humor column (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/Fabio.html)

3) about reviving the Senior Nascar Tour
Silliman on Sports - a new sports and humor column (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/SeniorNascarTour.html)

danielf1935
02-15-2009, 10:22 PM
In racing, it's always SAFETY FIRST.

gen70
02-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Getting rained out sucked but, ya gotta think about safety. Winning in a rainout is not a good win.

jsibelius
02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Second that. I'm not sure what was still out there, but unless it's going to be a short-lived rain, I can understand the decision to call the race. You can't race in the rain. They're running on bald tires! There's a reason why our street tires have tread on them. It's called RAIN!

bluedogok
02-16-2009, 10:59 AM
During Wind Tunnel last night (8-9pm) they had Darrell Waltrip on still at the track, he said it was still raining when they were discussing the rain shortening the race.

AAC2005
02-17-2009, 07:36 AM
BTW:

Would anyone know of where I might be able to unload a substantial quantity of NASCAR merchandise, primarily die-casts? I collected several items while living on the East Coast (where most of the houses have basements, aka "Man Caves"), but now they have been relegated to storage totes in the garage here in Oklahoma.

I would like to avoid sites like eBay, simply because I don't have the time or energy to deal with it (again), so after I sort out my Dale Jarrett/Texaco stuff, it's outta here like Circuit City!

(Dover - Rockingham - short tracks around Maryland)

so1rfan
02-17-2009, 08:03 AM
BTW:

Would anyone know of where I might be able to unload a substantial quantity of NASCAR merchandise, primarily die-casts? I collected several items while living on the East Coast (where most of the houses have basements, aka "Man Caves"), but now they have been relegated to storage totes in the garage here in Oklahoma.

I would like to avoid sites like eBay, simply because I don't have the time or energy to deal with it (again), so after I sort out my Dale Jarrett/Texaco stuff, it's outta here like Circuit City!

Good luck with that, collectible sales for NASCAR merchandise is in the toilet mainly thanks to ebay. There is alot of people just like you that has run out of room and wanted to clean house. Or they are sick of watching races that have become increasing boring as the same three guys lead race after race.

I think there is only one place in OKC on I-240 that is a dedicated store. You might ask him if he takes anything on consignment.

AAC2005
02-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Good luck with that, collectible sales for NASCAR merchandise is in the toilet mainly thanks to ebay.

LOL! The last time I browsed eBay, I got the impression that it was a little...saturated!

Thanks!

danielf1935
02-17-2009, 09:51 AM
BTW:

I have a small collection of NASCAR items, I collect mostly Hotwheels, Dub, and other small scales cars. I belong to a local Hothweels Club, we have a few sales each year and there's always people there that are looking for NASCAR collectable, the next show/sale is not until April, if you can wait that long.

For more info, go to www.greaterokchotwheels.com (http://www.greaterOKChotwheels.com)

gen70
02-18-2009, 11:45 AM
OK! Did Earnhardt Jr. spin out Brian Vickers by accident or on purpose?

danielf1935
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Purpose, with a capitol P, and I like Jr.

gen70
02-18-2009, 01:34 PM
I think it was an accident and it seems like the response is about 50/50 by whoever is asked.

gen70
02-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I would like to see "Little E-#88" win the 500 today but," Mark Martin-#5" looks like he could do it this year. Anyway I'd say one of the Hendrix cars will win it today for sure.

I was real wrong.

bluedogok
02-21-2009, 06:59 AM
If the race had gone the full distance, there was a good chance that your prediction might have been correct. The rain can make for some strange results.

gen70
02-21-2009, 08:44 AM
If the race had gone the full distance, there was a good chance that your prediction might have been correct. The rain can make for some strange results.

"Roger That".....Who do you like for Sun.? I think I'll go with JJ.

gen70
02-25-2009, 11:06 AM
I would'nt have bet a nickle that Kenseth woulda won the race last Sun.. Just goes to show the NASCAR races are not so predictable.

bluedogok
02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
"Roger That".....Who do you like for Sun.? I think I'll go with JJ.
I didn't see it, we were on our way back to Austin from OKC on Sunday. Once baseball and the other series start up (F1, MotoGP, ALMS, Grand-Am) I tend to watch less Nascar. I will sometimes have it going on the second TV if I am watching the others.

gen70
02-26-2009, 05:27 AM
I multi-task events quite often....Ha..Ha..

OKCWINO
02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
who is the sleeper for this week? I have to pick a driver tonight

gen70
02-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Let me think about it, I"ll get back to you soon.

gen70
02-26-2009, 12:04 PM
FOX Sports on MSN: NASCAR Race Info News, Preview, Drivers, Standings, Stats - NASCAR Sprint Cup (http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/cup/standings)

How dark do you want? Ha..Ha..

OKCWINO
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM
fox sports on msn: Nascar race info news, preview, drivers, standings, stats - nascar sprint cup (http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/cup/standings)

how dark do you want? Ha..ha..

i got carl edwards

gen70
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
That's a good bet. I also like Stewart, Gordon, Jimmy Johnson and I hate to say Kyle Bush. I even hated to print his name.

gen70
02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
That's a good bet. I also like Stewart,Gordon,Johnson, and I hate to say Kyle Bush. I even hate that I had to print his name.

southernskye
02-27-2009, 02:43 PM
K B has taken over as the driver the fans love to hate.

gen70
02-27-2009, 03:24 PM
K B has taken over as the driver the fans love to hate.

So true...Before that it was his brother for me.

jsibelius
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
i got carl edwards

I'm leary of him winning. I'm always afraid he'll fall on his head.

gen70
02-28-2009, 01:10 PM
I'am not to fond of Edwards after that time he ran into Jr. after the race at Talladega.

OKCWINO
03-01-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm leary of him winning. I'm always afraid he'll fall on his head.

That's OK, he would have already won by that time.

native
03-02-2009, 11:24 AM
It's OK if he falls on his head. He's got Aflac....Sorry, couldn't resist.

gen70
03-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Wasn't any flipping foe cuz-n Carl Sun..

OKCWINO
03-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Wasn't any flipping foe cuz-n Carl Sun..

Fell on his face lap 499