View Full Version : Tree Trimming

amandagall5
02-07-2009, 05:21 PM
One of the trees in my backyard has grown enough to start touching an overhead power line. Does anyone know if the City will come and trim it for me, and if so what department do I call?
Thanks.

Intrepid
02-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a situation where a neighbor's large tree branches/limbs are hanging over our fence line. We have asked several times for them to trim them, but as of yet they have not done so.

Is it reasonabe to ask one last time and advise that if they don't want to do it I will get estimates to have someone do it and then present them with the bill when they are done. What are the legal requirements here?

We have trimmed the smaller branches ourselves, as they grow over the fence line, with the neighbor's knowledge. It is the very large limbs that we are having an issue with.

danielf1935
02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Trees touching power lines is an OG&E problem, not the City's.

If your neighbors fail to take of the problem, I would send them a certified letter, putting them on "legal" notice that you plan hire someone and expect them to pay. This may encourage them to take care of the problem, if not, you may have to hire someone, and take your neighbor to small claims court.

FritterGirl
02-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Whatever you do, please make certain that you hire a certified arborist and not just any landscape or lawn company. They are more expensive, but worth the cost, especially if you are dealing with an older or heirloom tree.

Improperly pruned trees are susceptible to disease. They also just look out of whack and may not grow back properly.

Proper corrective pruning can not only keep a tree healthier, but make it look more balanced, too, especially if the tree is impeding an electric line.

Sadly, most of the trees along public rights of way that are under OG&E's purview are hacked half to death by the guys who come to prune them. Many end up being topped "cut straight across the canopy," which is one of the WORST things you can do to a tree.

easternobserver
02-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Actually, you are legally responsible for the limbs overhanging your property. The cost to trim these is your responsibility. Most times, neighbors can get together and maybe split the cost. Also be aware that while you can have the limbs that overhang your property trimmed, you are responsible to your neighbor for the tree if it is injured/dies.

Similarly, you (not the city or the power company) are responsible for trees touching or threatening your service wires (the wires from the pole to the house). Trees touching power company distribution lines (along the street) are generally the power company's responsibility, and yes, some of their contractors have been known to hack the trees up pretty bad.

Thunder
02-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I know that OGE will always be glad to come out to trim the tree limbs that hang over a power line. This is an issue, cuz the limb can fall down and take the power line with it. No matter if it is touching or not, as long it is hanging over the power line, OGE will come out to do it. Actually, OGE hire a contractor to do the work.

As for you Intrepid, if the trees is over to your property but very high up, then don't worry about it, unless it is over a power line, then just contact OGE. If it is low and within reach, I'm sure you can easily cut them.

Redskin 70
02-10-2009, 05:11 AM
After last year I Hate tree limbs ANYWHERE near a power line.
If it hanging over your property you can cut the limb no problem.
If its touching the line from the house to the pole, its your problem.
If its in the lines at the rear of the house its OGE problem.

Did I mention I dont like ANY tree limb now near a power line. Ice, tree limbs and power lines are not a good mix.:doh:

Thunder
02-10-2009, 05:24 AM
Redskin, mom have a huge pecan tree and a bunch of limbs was over the lines from the pole to the house. OGE sent people out to trim back for free.