View Full Version : Asian Diversity with our TV stations KOCO, KFOR > Fox 25 KOKH "non"

ILam
02-07-2009, 01:29 AM
I am professional and own my own medical clinic. I have been living in OKC
>
> for the past 20 years. I have noticed during the past few years; that the population of professional Asian and Pacific Islanders has grown leaps and bounds.
>
>
> It just dawned on me while watching Channel 5 and sometimes Channel 4 that they have some great anchors and reporters with diverse cultures, why has Fox 25 KOKH does not have a single Asian and Pacific Islanders in their staff. Are they too good to hire other minorities???
>
>
> Certainly all Oklahoma Citians are well acquainted with the excellently developing "Asian District" around the vicinity of Northwest 23rd and Classen ... how could one not have noticed the markers on street signs from Classen as far north as N.W. 36th Street:
>
>
> Just curious........... Any Thoughts see post

> Dr. Lam

fromdust
02-14-2009, 09:57 PM
> It just dawned on me while watching Channel 5 and sometimes Channel 4 that they have some great anchors and reporters with diverse cultures, why has Fox 25 KOKH does not have a single Asian and Pacific Islanders in their staff. Are they too good to hire other minorities???

uh... who cares. they can hire whoever they want. its kinda annoying that people say companies have to hire minorities just because they are minorities. they should be hired because of their ability to do a job, not what color they are.

soonerguru
02-14-2009, 11:48 PM
I personally like Jao Jao Shen. She's pretty hot.

:)

sgray
02-15-2009, 12:06 AM
uh... who cares. they can hire whoever they want. its kinda annoying that people say companies have to hire minorities just because they are minorities. they should be hired because of their ability to do a job, not what color they are.

Yeah, that situation can get real sticky, real quick. I'm glad that we have EEO rules to protect everyone from discrimination at the point-of-hire, but some of this regulation I occasionally see that says companies have to hire so many "minority" workers can backfire real quick. Obviously, in most situations it's not a problem, but like you said--what if they are forced to consider applicants who aren't qualified for the job just because they are the only ones that applied, or they are short on the number of minorites on-staff. Companies have the right to hire whomever they want as long as they are not discriminating on anything but their qualifications for the job. Obviously it's their company--their money.

Now on the flip-side, if they are working for the government, or the company has bid and won a government contract, I can see where they want all taxpayers represented. If 22% of the contract $$$ are coming from minority taxpayers, then I can understand a 22% requirement on the percentage of minority workers hired for that job. But there needs to be a means to allow the company to override that if there are not enough qualified minority applicants--with proper documentation to support the claim, of course.

Just my worthless 2 cents.

grantgeneral78
02-15-2009, 03:50 AM

I could not have said it better! I agree.
:iagree:

Soonerman
02-15-2009, 07:53 AM

This

GWB
02-15-2009, 07:58 AM
>
> for the past 20 years. I have noticed during the past few years; that the population of professional Asian and Pacific Islanders has grown leaps and bounds.
>
>
>
>
> Certainly all Oklahoma Citians are well acquainted with the excellently developing "Asian District" around the vicinity of Northwest 23rd and Classen ... how could one not have noticed the markers on street signs from Classen as far north as N.W. 36th Street:
>
>

> Dr. Lam

Most of the oriental restaurants I eat at don't have caucasians working in them. Is that discrimination? Are they too good to hire white people? Not that I'm bothered by this at all, but since you brought it up...

GovernorHenry
02-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Don't take everything you read on the internet, especially forums, at face value. That may be the case with the first post.

ronronnie1
02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Dr. Lam,

I understand what you're saying, but like everyone else has stated, it's kind of the news stations decision regarding diversity in their employment.

Do what I do. Just don't watch any Fox broadcasts.

Let the market place decide. I'm sure EVERYONE can agree on that.

Platemaker
02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Fox 25 is not only not racially diverse... it is also the least "oklahoman" of the other channels. The other networks pride themselves on so many of thier anchors being Oklahomans.

OKCisOK4me
02-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Don't take everything you read on the internet, especially forums, at face value. That may be the case with the first post.

When does someone assume the screen name 'MayorCornett', lol...

mcgrawsdad
02-16-2009, 05:05 PM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

> Dr. Lam

Those racist bastards...I personally think they should hire Yoko Matsugane...GRRR!

Nermel
02-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Frankly, I am sick of alarm companies ALWAYS showing a white male in their commercials as the person breaking in. Not all white people break into houses.

drumsncode
02-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Frankly, I am sick of alarm companies ALWAYS showing a white male in their commercials as the person breaking in. Not all white people break into houses.

They probably show white people breaking into houses because if they showed blacks breaking into houses they'd be declared racist and Jesse Jackson would be calling for the world to come to an end.

You can't win these days. Everyone is looking to be offended.

You can see so much of this on TV if you watch closely (and care to watch for it at all.)

As for stations choosing the people they hire, they do it solely based on ratings potential and probably budget constraints.

Hey, there's a reason Amy McRee is on at 6 and 10pm. She has "the look" that brings in the viewers.

TV stations are extremely "discriminatory" in the people they put on the air. You can't be fat, you have to have hair, you have to speak well, and you'd damn well better be nice-looking. When you get old and gain weight and you "lose it", well, it's don't let the door hit you in the tail on the way out! If your ratings are not good, you're gone.

And yes, there are exceptions, but they are very rare.

mecarr
02-17-2009, 09:12 AM

Oh the humanity!!! Who cares if they show white people, black people or yellow people. They can do what they wanna do. You have this victimhood mentality.

Richard at Remax
02-17-2009, 09:53 AM
does this mean they need more white guys in the nba. even if they aren't as qualified but just to make people think the nba aren't racists?

just the first thing that came to mind. whoever is most qualified should get the job. period.

CuatrodeMayo
02-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Oh the humanity!!! Who cares if they show white people, black people or yellow people. They can do what they wanna do. You have this victimhood mentality.

I think the poster was being sarcastic.

DaveSkater
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
It's my NSHO that the reason the Asian district has done so well is because of the people IN that district. If I could, I'd eat lunch and dinner at several of the fine dining places there each day.

I don't hear Asians complaining about EEO regulations, or standing in the bread lines. I don't see them begging on the corner. Most are employed and doing very well. And that is the reason why! They have, as a people, a very good work ethic and it shows.

I say Bravo to my Asian neighbors! (and literally, I have an Asian neighbor across the street and couldn't ask for nicer, kinder folk living there.)

drumsncode
02-18-2009, 07:03 AM
It's my NSHO that the reason the Asian district has done so well is because of the people IN that district. If I could, I'd eat lunch and dinner at several of the fine dining places there each day.

I don't hear Asians complaining about EEO regulations, or standing in the bread lines. I don't see them begging on the corner. Most are employed and doing very well. And that is the reason why! They have, as a people, a very good work ethic and it shows.

I say Bravo to my Asian neighbors! (and literally, I have an Asian neighbor across the street and couldn't ask for nicer, kinder folk living there.)

Well said! You never see "For Sale" signs popping up if an Asian couple moves into your neighborhood, and it's always a pleasure to go into a restaurant or a store run by Asians. They have such charm and manners and respect for tradition.

And for what it's worth, I'd watch JiaoJiao Shen in primetime if she was on. She's every bit as good as our current anchors. Catch her at the ridiculously early hours of 5 to 7am on weekends and you'll see first-hand what all the fuss is about "Asian charm".

mecarr
02-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Well said! You never see "For Sale" signs popping up if an Asian couple moves into your neighborhood, and it's always a pleasure to go into a restaurant or a store run by Asians. They have such charm and manners and respect for tradition. .

As opposed to which other race?

drumsncode
02-18-2009, 08:39 AM
As opposed to which other race?

You tell me; that will prove my point. I'm speaking from experience. I've watched it happen on my own street.