View Full Version : Cox Communications

Thunder
02-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Not sure where this goes...

Mom is needing help with several issues that continues to not be properly fixed.

She has digital cable and every day, the guide at the bottom of the screen always say No Data Available. Also, the date will not change. She had exchanged the box several times, but the issue still continue.

Most of the time, she would have to click on the Guide button to bring up the full TV Guide and wait for it to update and load. Then she would have to click Info on whatever selected show/movie to bring that updated as well.

This doesn't happen to me.

Many times, she kept telling them to block all long distance calls. Only the area code 405 can call her. No matter what, these stupid people keep getting thru. She's really angry about the nonstop ringing all day and night. These are people that is searching for me. Even tho many times that she told them "wrong number" and "he does not live here" and "stop calling" still they do not listen.

What can she do? She doesn't want to change her number. How in the world can she block these idiots?

Anyone have experience and solutions for these issues, plz post.

FFLady
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Not sure where this goes...

Mom is needing help with several issues that continues to not be properly fixed.

She has digital cable and every day, the guide at the bottom of the screen always say No Data Available. Also, the date will not change. She had exchanged the box several times, but the issue still continue.

Most of the time, she would have to click on the Guide button to bring up the full TV Guide and wait for it to update and load. Then she would have to click Info on whatever selected show/movie to bring that updated as well.
This doesn't happen to me.

Many times, she kept telling them to block all long distance calls. Only the area code 405 can call her. No matter what, these stupid people keep getting thru. She's really angry about the nonstop ringing all day and night. These are people that is searching for me. Even tho many times that she told them "wrong number" and "he does not live here" and "stop calling" still they do not listen.

What can she do? She doesn't want to change her number. How in the world can she block these idiots?

I've had to do that a couple of times, but certaily not on a daily basis. Just once in a while, say maybe after an outage...

As for the phone calls, is her number on the DO Not Call List? Is your cable setup to have "caller ID" on the TV screen when somene calls in?

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2009, 12:20 PM

She can tell you to pay the bill collectors that keep calling her. You help her, solution obtained. Plain and simple!

CCOKC
02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I have had problems with the "no data available" on one of my boxes as well as my digital OETA channels having a problem with my signal. I figured it was my box but don't have much free time to get it exchanged.

SoonerDave
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I would strongly suspect a weak signal to her DVR/Converter box, especially if it is and older cable installation or if the cable to the TV is split to more than one device.

I know I am suffering from a weak signal on one of our digital boxes, as certain channels either pixellate heavily or simply don't come in at all. I think the amp Cox installed several years ago is dying, but I just haven't had the time to call them, and arrange for a half-day where they can pack a box of donuts and come by five minutes before their four-hour window expires (pardon the intense sarcasm).

I'm not sure about the phone problem. I believe the phone tools will allow some blocking, but I won't swear that you can filter down to the area code.

-SD

traxx
02-04-2009, 02:09 PM
These are people that is searching for me. Even tho many times that she told them "wrong number" and "he does not live here" and "stop calling" still they do not listen.

This sounds like a problem with you instead of the cable company. She could give them your number and that should stop the problems.

Thunder
02-04-2009, 04:26 PM
The issue is that Cox tells her that she will not get any calls outside of 405 and she's paying for that feature. So far, that promise does not hold. I advised her to just simply change the phone number. I've been thinking that maybe it could be that my driver license is registered at her address and the people looked up the phone number for that address. Next time, I'll change my address when I renew.

I will have her to get someone to come out and check the signal if somewhere is getting weak. The only split before it reaches the digital box is the cable modem connected as well.

Nermel
02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Cox has a habit of recycling their #s quickly. When I got my phone # from them, I received automated calls for almost two years. Some were from school, saying her kids didn't attend. Blockbuster would call saying movies were past due, even got bill collecters in Spanish. Quite frustrating.

southernskye
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Caller ID and an answering machine work. We have a land line as part of the cox package but we don't use that phone at all except for outgoing local calls.

CoxTech1
02-05-2009, 06:18 AM
I apologize for all the difficult your mom is having. If you would like further assistance with these issues you can email me at hrd-hsi.newsgroups@cox.com.

Thunder
02-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I apologize for all the difficult your mom is having. If you would like further assistance with these issues you can email me at hrd-hsi.newsgroups@cox.com.

:omg: How do people know when to join membership and being aware of discussions!

kevinpate
02-07-2009, 04:28 AM
They don't in general Thunder ... you must be on someone's watch list
de de de de, de de de de

Thunder
02-07-2009, 07:38 AM
They don't in general Thunder ... you must be on someone's watch list
de de de de, de de de de

:LolLolLol

jsibelius
02-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I've been thinking that maybe it could be that my driver license is registered at her address and the people looked up the phone number for that address. Next time, I'll change my address when I renew.

You can change your address now without having to pay for a new license. You can change your address with the police department and they're happy just to have the information on file. Then when you renew your license, you can get your new address printed on it as well. They realize that some people move every six months and won't renew their licenses every single time they move. It's better to have accurate information on file. And that way, if you ever get pulled over, some overzealous cop doesn't yell at you for not wanting to pay to change your information every six months (been there, done that).

By the way, if you tell bill collectors to stop calling and they don't, you can sue them for illegal bill collecting tactics. It doesn't mean you don't owe the money, but they cannot continue to call you after you tell them to stop, and they cannot continue to harass your mother if she tells them to stop. She just needs to tell them in no uncertain terms to S-T-O-P. If it requires being rude, so be it. These companies are probably doing something to get around that 405-only restriction.

MikeOKC
02-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Cox has a habit of recycling their #s quickly. When I got my phone # from them, I received automated calls for almost two years. Some were from school, saying her kids didn't attend. Blockbuster would call saying movies were past due, even got bill collecters in Spanish. Quite frustrating.

This is the truth. We went through 3 Cox numbers at our new house a year or so ago. All we got were sales calls, wrong numbers and the like. They couldn't give me a truly "new" number. We finally kept the phone because it actually made our cable package cheaper (go figure) but turned off the ringer and use it only for outbound calls. We use our cell phones to receive calls. I've since heard of a lot of people doing the same thing.