View Full Version : Los Taco closing today!

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 04:21 PM
We went to los tacos today to get some burritos and they had a sign today was there last day. they said they are moving down to s.w.44th and may but the place is not ready yet they mentioned they needed some plumbing work , painting done and other stuff and there willing to barter out food for services might be a chance to get some grub guys, I am going to check with some handymen to see if we can help them out.

USG '60
01-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Are they going to be at the old Ernie's DX station on the northeast corner?

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 05:48 PM
i dont really think so I think they said they are going into one of those shopping centers on the east or the west side.

soonerguru
01-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I like Los Tacos.

SouthsideSooner
01-31-2009, 07:28 PM
They are moving in to the old Carls Jr building on the NW corner.

I'm surprised they're moving. It seemed like they were doing really well where they were at. I can understand the attraction of the free standing building with a drive thru but that area is getting pretty rough. Porky's pizza moved from that corner to 89th and May for that reason.

Martin
01-31-2009, 07:53 PM
thanks to this thread i brought home los tacos tonight.

-M

gen70
01-31-2009, 08:00 PM
I wish I could get me some Los Tacos.

grantgeneral78
01-31-2009, 10:10 PM
the only thing I could come up with and this is just a hunch, they must have jacked the rent up where they are at now. I agree that side of town is pretty rough these days, just have to get the burritos during the day now.

gen70
01-31-2009, 10:44 PM
When I was growing up in that part of southside it was like( Leave it to Beaver style.) It just breaks my heart that it's gotten so rough.

oneforone
02-01-2009, 12:58 AM
They are moving in to the old Carls Jr building on the NW corner.

I'm surprised they're moving. It seemed like they were doing really well where they were at. I can understand the attraction of the free standing building with a drive thru but that area is getting pretty rough. Porky's pizza moved from that corner to 89th and May for that reason.

When did Carl's Jr. close? I always seen plenty of traffic at that location.

USG '60
02-01-2009, 12:19 PM
When I was growing up in that part of southside it was like( Leave it to Beaver style.) It just breaks my heart that it's gotten so rough.

Yeah, dammit, when the Cleevers and Nelson's moved out it was obvious it was on the way down, so we moved FURTHER south.

Martin
02-01-2009, 12:49 PM
happened to be driving by sw 44th & may today and they were indeed working on the carl's jr. building on the nw corner... there was a small temporary sign in the window that said 'los tacos'... dunno if i'll drive that far to get the occasional fix.

-M

danielf1935
02-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Is this the same Taco place that use to be at SW 44th and Blackwelder. (where there's now a 7-11)

soonerguru
02-01-2009, 01:51 PM
What exactly does "rough area" mean? Are there roving bands of thugs discharging weapons in the street?

gen70
02-01-2009, 02:57 PM
What exactly does "rough area" mean? Are there roving bands of thugs discharging weapons in the street?

I remember in the 70's going to Los Tacos ( My mind in an altered state)and scarfing down on their burritos. Excellent!!!!!

Martin
02-01-2009, 03:33 PM
is this the same taco place that use to be at sw 44th and blackwelder. (where there's now a 7-11)

one in the same. for the past 6 years or so, they've operated in the shopping center at sw 89th & penn.

-M

danielf1935
02-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh man, my Cardiologist is going to be pissed!!!!!!!!

fire121
02-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Your title had me scared for a minute. I thought they were closing for good.
I never thought the shopping center location was good for them.
They did really well for several years at 44th and Blackwelder with the freestanding location.
Back when they were located on 44th, I asked the owner if he would ever consider moving into a new building or changing the concept from parking and ordering at the window. He advised he was content with the concept at one location with family running the business and he also swore to me every time he repainted, cleaned up, and trimmed all the weeds sales went down. Who knows if that was true but he seemed to be a pretty astute businessman and interesting guy to visit with.
Two Tacos, Super Nacho with, Beef and Bean Burrito, Hold the tattoos and piercings.

grantgeneral78
02-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Your title had me scared for a minute. I thought they were closing for good.
I never thought the shopping center location was good for them.
They did really well for several years at 44th and Blackwelder with the freestanding location.
Back when they were located on 44th, I asked the owner if he would ever consider moving into a new building or changing the concept from parking and ordering at the window. He advised he was content with the concept at one location with family running the business and he also swore to me every time he repainted, cleaned up, and trimmed all the weeds sales went down. Who knows if that was true but he seemed to be a pretty astute businessman and interesting guy to visit with.
Two Tacos, Super Nacho with, Beef and Bean Burrito, Hold the tattoos and piercings.

Well it kind of scared me to hear they were closing temporarily. haha tattoos and piercings

MS LOS TACOS
02-09-2009, 06:40 AM
We went to los tacos today to get some burritos and they had a sign today was there last day. they said they are moving down to s.w.44th and may but the place is not ready yet they mentioned they needed some plumbing work , painting done and other stuff and there willing to barter out food for services might be a chance to get some grub guys, I am going to check with some handymen to see if we can help them out.
LOS TACOS is JUST EXPANDING! WE are re-modeling at SW 89th
and have a NEW LOCATION at the OLD Carl's Jr Location

89th will be re-opened about FEB 17th !

MS LOS TACOS

SouthsideSooner
02-09-2009, 01:42 PM

MS LOS TACOS

That certainly puts a different face on things. Glad to hear that you guys are doing so well that you're expanding.

Hope things go great for you in the new location and look forward to the reopening of the current place. You can look forward to a steady stream of my dollars helping to pay for things...:hungry:

grantgeneral78
02-09-2009, 03:15 PM

MS LOS TACOS

Thank god, It is good to hear yall are keeping the location on 89th....I will be coming back.

MS LOS TACOS
02-19-2009, 09:49 PM
89th & Penn Location is UP AND RUNNING! Thanks to everyone for your continued support!

JB

grantgeneral78
02-21-2009, 06:22 PM
89th & Penn Location is UP AND RUNNING! Thanks to everyone for your continued support!

JB

WooHoo! will call in my order on monday, oh heck I will take 3 combination burritos one of them minus the cheese.

:ohno:

JustTheFactsPlease
12-13-2009, 01:16 AM
one in the same. for the past 6 years or so, they've operated in the shopping center at sw 89th & penn.

-M

I worked at the ORIGINAL Los Tacos at sw 44th and Blackwelder when I was a teenager at Moore High School. Joanna Myers was one of my best friends High School. The original drive in was awesome to work at ( but it was so TINY - I can't believe looking back how we served so many customers in such little space!). I loved working there and I love the food.

The newest location on SW 44th and May is hardly what I would call a rough neighborhood. Those who think it is rough live in a very sheltered world (in my opinion). I have been a southsider for most of my life in Oklahoma. No one place is safe. Things happen all over town. I am not one bit scared to be alone at anytime of the day or night on SW 44th and S May.

So anyone who is afraid of that area, really it is NOT that rough.

Go on down and get your Los Tacos fix. Don't forget they close at 7pm daily and closed all day on Sundays and Mondays! Buy a Los Tacos shirt and wear it in and get a free drink with your order too! The drive thru is for call in orders only so if the weather is bad or if you really are concerned about the neighborhood just call in your order and pick up in the drive thru.

2901 Southwest 44th Street, Oklahoma City - (405) 681-0888

JustTheFactsPlease
12-13-2009, 01:20 AM

Dude, it really isn't that rough.

I am a lady and I am not scared to be there at anytime of the day or night alone.

Really it isn't.

I am suprised people have that conception.

Slightly run down area does NOT mean rough.

So go on down for your Los Tacos fix!

Larry OKC
12-13-2009, 01:43 AM
I worked at the ORIGINAL Los Tacos at sw 44th and Blackwelder ...

Thats the one I remember, didn't know they had relocated to 89th(?), just thought they had closed (think that is where a 7-11 is now).

Their logo/sign always made me laugh 'cause the cactus looks like a "Y", combine that with "Los" and see what you get?

JustTheFactsPlease
12-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Thats the one I remember, didn't know they had relocated to 89th(?), just thought they had closed (think that is where a 7-11 is now).

Their logo/sign always made me laugh 'cause the cactus looks like a "Y", combine that with "Los" and see what you get?

Yes, I will say what you are trying to say without saying it: LOSy Tacos

It does rather look like that but LOSy it isn't!

Wonderful and awesome they are!

Yes, they closed when 7-11 took over the space to build there. They decided to take a break for a while so family members could pursue other endeavors with a promise to return one day. A few years later they opened the SW 89th and S Penn location.

And for quite some time they have had the new location in the old Carl's Jr in the Homeland Parking Lot at SW 44th and S May. They had an awesome car show/music/bike run last May at the SW 44th and May location. It was AWESOME!!

Los Tacos | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-City-OK/Los-Tacos/87776217645)

soonergooner1
12-13-2009, 03:13 AM
"Slightly run down area does NOT mean rough"

Used to work at that homeyland and was always aware of the area as I had to be there very early many mornings. Transferred to NW Hwy and MacArthur, I made the observation that more fatal shootings occurred within a mile of the NW store in one month than the two years I spent South. Civilizations' veneer can be quite thin, at times, anywhere.

JustTheFactsPlease
12-13-2009, 03:22 AM
"Slightly run down area does NOT mean rough"

Used to work at that homeland and was always aware of the area as I had to be there very early many mornings. Transferred to NW Hwy and MacArthur, I made the observation that more fatal shootings occurred within a mile of the NW store in one month than the two years I spent South. Civilizations' veneer can be quite thin, at times, anywhere.

Thanks for the back up. Again crime happens everywhere - there is no guaranteed safe places. At SW 44th and May I still feel safe. It is an older neighborhood and while some crime does happen there - I have not seen activity that would make me be in fear there.

gen70
12-13-2009, 05:52 AM

I am a lady and I am not scared to be there at anytime of the day or night alone.

Really it isn't.

So go on down for your Los Tacos fix! I would but, I live in Asheville N.C.. I ain't scared of any place on the southside. My comment was in response to another post that the area had gotten rough. I haven't been in OKC for 20 yrs.. Peace!

soonerguru
12-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Really it isn't.

So go on down for your Los Tacos fix!

You are right. It's funny what constitutes "rough" in OKC compared to other cities. This is really a very safe city for the most part. Often, when someone in OKC describes a neighborhood as "rough," it means a neighborhood with ethnicity, which is unfortunate.

JustTheFactsPlease
12-13-2009, 10:44 AM
I would but, I live in Asheville N.C.. I ain't scared of any place on the southside. My comment was in response to another post that the area had gotten rough. I haven't been in OKC for 20 yrs.. Peace!

I knew it was in response to someone else. I just thought maybe you lived out of town (not out of state) and I wanted to reassure you it was not rough.

A little rundown in the area because the strip malls are old and not updated mostly is why it look rundown. A lot of the southside is just older and more run down and hasn't been updated much except for newer businesses. It isn't as dire as some people say on here.

I have worked in rough neighborhoods where the gang members do drive bys - even there I am not scared much. It has to do with being AWARE of your surroundings anywhere you are and having a plan for all the "what ifs" and having a planned attack back. People who prey look for people who look scared or weak. If they see you are not scared and that you are aware and confident - most will pass you up for easier prey. Not always - but often.

Rough to me is open drug deals, gang members with visible activity, lots of fights and shootings, accelerated crime, etc. I haven't seen that there and I live just a mile and a half from there and go down that street all the time.

It is still very safe compared to other places although there are areas in OKC that are rough and much rougher than it used to be.

Sorry you live so far because Los Tacos tastes just the same as it did when I was in high school and worked there. Awesome stuff!

If you ever come this way - do stop in at Los Tacos because Joanna has made sure it has stayed with the same quality and taste.

gen70
12-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I knew it was in response to someone else. I just thought maybe you lived out of town (not out of state) and I wanted to reassure you it was not rough.

A little rundown in the area because the strip malls are old and not updated mostly is why it look rundown. A lot of the southside is just older and more run down and hasn't been updated much except for newer businesses. It isn't as dire as some people say on here.

I have worked in rough neighborhoods where the gang members do drive bys - even there I am not scared much. It has to do with being AWARE of your surroundings anywhere you are and having a plan for all the "what ifs" and having a planned attack back. People who prey look for people who look scared or weak. If they see you are not scared and that you are aware and confident - most will pass you up for easier prey. Not always - but often.

Rough to me is open drug deals, gang members with visible activity, lots of fights and shootings, accelerated crime, etc. I haven't seen that there and I live just a mile and a half from there and go down that street all the time.

It is still very safe compared to other places although there are areas in OKC that are rough and much rougher than it used to be.

Sorry you live so far because Los Tacos tastes just the same as it did when I was in high school and worked there. Awesome stuff!

If you ever come this way - do stop in at Los Tacos because Joanna has made sure it has stayed with the same quality and taste. The next time I get back to OKC, Los Tacos will be a certain stop.