View Full Version : Moving From Oregon - Need some neighborhood info please

BendtoOKC
01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
We are getting ready to move from Bend, OR to OKC for work. Looking to live in a older nice neighborhood. We are currently looking at a house near Shepherd Mall, Shatek Park area and I am looking for some info. We love what we see of the area from pictures but I am concerned of safety. We are from a resort, mountain town of about 75,000 and I want my wife and kids to feel comfortable. The house is in the 2200 block of NW 27th St. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

rondvu
01-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Welcome to OKC, I hope you and your family are enjoying your new experiance. Here is a link that might help with crime statistics. Oklahoma City Crime - Crime Maps, Reports and Statistics (http://www.okccrime.com/)

Oklahoma City Community Info - crime statistics, demographics, and census data (http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Oklahoma_City-Oklahoma/community-info/)

http://newsok.com/news/crimewatch

American FactFinder (http://factfinder.census.gov/home/saff/main.html?_lang=en)

Oklahoma County Records Dislaimer Notice (http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/disclaim.htm)

http://www.nacok.org/ is a great resource.

Keep us posted if this helps and good luck.

USG '60
01-31-2009, 05:16 PM
I live 6 blocks from there and have for 25 years. I love the area. The only crime in the area that I was personally aware of was about 20 years ago when my elderly next door neighbor complained that someone had stolen is bag of crushed aluminun cans from off his driveway. I'm sure there have been worse, but I look at it this way. This area is too nice to have scummy neighbors and not nice enough to attract scum in at night just to burgle.:Smiley259

BendtoOKC
01-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the info everyone... Keep it coming if anyone has anything else....

Ryan

jbrown84
01-31-2009, 09:36 PM
That is one of the historic areas that is in real good shape. The houses have been kept up, landscaping kept in check, and I imagine there are a lot more owner-occupants than renters (which leads to the former two aspects, naturally). You might also look at the Cleveland neighborhood which is between May and Villa directly north of 23rd. It's also very nice and safe and has a good elementary school.

ksearls
01-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi, I have been to Bend, my grandmother used to have a home there. What a lovely place. I think you guys might like Crown Heights or Mesta Park. The kids could go to Wilson which is a good school and feeds to Classen, a great school. Think you will be happy with the amount of house you can afford compared to Bend.

kim

betts
01-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Linwood is really nice too, as well as the Miller area.

Doug Loudenback
02-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Older nice neighborhood? Well, then, I'd nominate mine ... Mesta Park. You'll see more than you probably want in my Mesta Park series of articles, starting here: Doug Dawgz Blog: Mesta Park (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2007/10/mesta-park.html). Still shots as well as a flash video covering the entire area is there and the series of articles presents a rather complete virtual tour of the area shown in the map below:

http://www.mestapark.org/Websites/mestapark/Images/map3.jpg

The link to the neighborhood association's website is Home | Mesta Park Historical Neighborhood | Oklahoma City (http://www.mestapark.org/).

It's 6 minutes from downtown, if that's a factor. It's near interstate highway access at NW 23rd & I-235 if that's a factor. It's immediately north of the excellent "Midtown" area developing on the north side of downtown, if that's a factor.

Send me a PM if you'd like more specific information or have more particular questions.

Chicken In The Rough
02-01-2009, 07:03 AM
I used to live in Mesta Park. It is a wonderful neighborhood with mature trees, good sidewalks, and a strong community spirit. Much of the old architecture has been nicely preserved and it is well located in my opinion. Wilson School (in Mesta), and Classen Highschool (nearby) are excellent. The rest of OKC schools are more questionable. I never had a problem with crime in Mesta, and it offers a lot of diversity which I think is a good thing.

Also, I always likes Cleveland neighborhood. It is a couple miles west of Mesta, is a little newer, and offers many of the same qualities.

If you want to get away from the downtown area, I'd check out Mayfair. It is a small, under-rated neighborhood Southeast of 50th & May Avenue. I think you can still get some good value for your money in Mayfair. It offers a little more of a suburban feel while still being in the city.

BendtoOKC
02-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Thank you again... Does anyone know how to find a rental in Mesta Park? No luck on Craigslist and not having any luck anywhere. We are looking to buy but are renting sight unseen as time is an issue. We would like to rent for 6 months to a year before buying. Again, all the help is appreciated.

Ryan

Curt
02-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Take it from me...being an "outsider" and trying to live in OKC...good luck. I found on my very short stay there I was not very well accepted in the workplace once they found out I was from the "north". Have you thought about maybe Atlanta? or Orlando?...several people I know that have lost their jobs have gone to either of these places and love it...up to you though.

FritterGirl
02-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Take it from me...being an "outsider" and trying to live in OKC...good luck. I found on my very short stay there I was not very well accepted in the workplace once they found out I was from the "north". Have you thought about maybe Atlanta? or Orlando?...several people I know that have lost their jobs have gone to either of these places and love it...up to you though.

Curt, perhaps you could explain a bit more about your poor experience. In the group of friends I run around with, many are transplants from "up north," (if Michigan and Ohio count), who came primarily because of job opportunities in specific fields. They have all found Oklahoma City incredibly pleasant, and have had no trouble whatsoever finding acceptance both in the workplace and in their social lives, seeking and finding people who are like-minded in their worldview.

One of the things they did immediately to help themselves assimilate was find organizations for which they could volunteer. They got involved, found friends and are really enjoying their lives (and especially the real estate prices) here.

They also all happen to live in the MidTown area, for what that's worth.

wsucougz
02-01-2009, 11:35 AM

You one of them northerners, huh? We don't take too kindly to your type 'round here, boy.

sroberts24
02-01-2009, 11:37 AM
i live near sheperd mall, and if your are far enough away from Taft Jr. high and NW classen there are non problems, i live next door to taft and i have had kids spray paint on my garage doors and a few weeks ago a man walked into my house grabbed my girlfriends purse of the couch and ran out, but i have lived here for 22 years and that is the only thing i have had to complain about, closer to sheperd mall is much better than my exact location but overall very nice older homes

shane453
02-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I think the enthusiastic response from so many people helping BendtoOKC with neighborhood information is pretty much proof that Curt's experience must be quite rare.

BendtoOKC
02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I have to say, while I appreciate Curt sharing his story, the people have been nothing but friendly. I have called on a couple of rentals and several people have said "whether you rent from me or not, call if you need any advice or help". I have heard about the friendliness of the people in Oklahoma City and it is really starting to show. Again thanks for all of the info. The house we are looking at is two blocks from the mall so it sounds like it is in a great area and on a dead end street. If anyone does know of any rentals in the Mesta Park area I would be interested in some contact info before I do sign a lease. I look forward to my time in OKC even if I am a "westerner" not a "northerner".

Curt
02-01-2009, 05:34 PM
You one of them northerners, huh? We don't take too kindly to your type 'round here, boy.

Boy?...we dont take kindly to being called boy here...that'll get you in deep here in Detroit...Probably a good thing you dont live here because you would'nt last long.

Curt
02-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Curt, perhaps you could explain a bit more about your poor experience. In the group of friends I run around with, many are transplants from "up north," (if Michigan and Ohio count), who came primarily because of job opportunities in specific fields. They have all found Oklahoma City incredibly pleasant, and have had no trouble whatsoever finding acceptance both in the workplace and in their social lives, seeking and finding people who are like-minded in their worldview.

One of the things they did immediately to help themselves assimilate was find organizations for which they could volunteer. They got involved, found friends and are really enjoying their lives (and especially the real estate prices) here.

They also all happen to live in the MidTown area, for what that's worth.

Oh dont get me wrong...dont anybody get me wrong...OKC is nice...a hell of a lot nicer than Detroit...I guess the problem I had was the workers ethics when I worked at Chromalloy....after two weeks of the place I came back I just could not take the slow motion. I come from a fast paced world so adjusting to a world where nothing got done killed me..I have no idea how they even stay in buisness...That experience I guess just ruined my vision..So I came back to my old job ,got a raise and bought another house...such is life but it was a good experience..Chromalloy however is a whole nother story...

bluedogok
02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Curt - Based on various threads that you have posted in and the attitudes presented in those, it doesn't surprise me. It all depends on "attitude", if you came down with a "superior northern person" attitude like many of the Californians with a similar "superior" attitude who come here to Austin, then no, you will not be very well received by the locals. Most people ANYWHERE do not take kindly to "outsiders" telling the locals they're idiots which is how many of those attitudes are presented. For a "southerner" to go up north and try to inflict their views on them, you know that would not be very well received up north either. Much of the time, the poor work ethic attitude comes from the top. I have also known "frenetic" people who act like they are doing a lot but never seemed to accomplish anything.

I am Oklahoma born and OKC raised, I have worked in locations all over the US and in Tokyo and I have found "poor work ethic" compared to mine in every locale. For three weeks in Tokyo we were the first to get to the office by several hours and the last to leave by a few hours (at Midnight to catch the last train back to the hotel) every night and the rest of the office were native Japanese. Lack of work ethic is something much more associated with the northern union mindset than of that of more independent south. Granted, there examples of all levels everywhere. It is nothing unique to Oklahoma or Detroit, you can find lazy people anywhere.

okcpulse
02-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Boy?...we dont take kindly to being called boy here...that'll get you in deep here in Detroit...Probably a good thing you dont live here because you would'nt last long.

Curt, I think he was just being a smart ass. If there is one thing I have learned from six years of message boarding, it's to not put so much stock in message board sarcasm. You're wasting needed energy for something more worthwhile.

Curt
02-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Curt, I think he was just being a smart ass. If there is one thing I have learned from six years of message boarding, it's to not put so much stock in message board sarcasm. You're wasting needed energy for something more worthwhile.

Point well taken..

wsucougz
02-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Just my way of kidding about the absurd notion that one should prepare for widespread prejudice against "northerners" or "outsiders" in this town. I'm from Seattle, have lived here for 7 years, and never encountered such a problem. I love this town!

okcpulse
02-01-2009, 08:28 PM
And I've lived in Oklahoma City most of my life and never had such a problem there. I miss that city.

Chicken In The Rough
02-02-2009, 05:12 AM
I always thought that OKC was about half non-native anyway. During the 70s & 80s, tens of thousands came down from Michigan, Ohio, and other rust-belt states. Remember the joke about a car with a license plate from Michigan? The only thing worse is a car from Michigan pulling a U-Haul.

Seriously, I can't imagine anyone having a difficult time because there are from somewhere else, but I don't know Curt's situation. I thought OKC-ers were very interested in getting to know new folks. Maybe that's just my own naivety.

betts
02-02-2009, 06:35 AM
I'm a northerner, and perhaps it's because we were affiliated with the medical center where lots of people come from elsewhere, but I've never once felt being a Yankee was considered a negative thing. I now have lots of friends who are natives, and aside from a rare joke, no one even acts as if they think about it. I've never felt unwelcome anywhere.

CaptDave
02-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Speaking as another transplant who has been lucky enough to see a pretty fair portion of the world, I REALLY like OKC. The vast majority of people I know are very friendly and welcome us "outsiders" as long as we don't come off as arrogant or condescending. I too, did not have the greatest impression of my place of work - a union plant that has since closed - that should narrow it down. But that is more a commentary on unionized workplaces, not the people of OKC.

Now that I am back in the military and my contacts are mostly social in nature, I don't see any significant downside to living in the OKC area (alright - I live in Edmond, but the schools are hard to beat).

I think anyone that moves here is coming at a great time to watch this city grow. There have been a lot of positive changes since I moved here in 2002. The next few years will be very exciting to watch OKC evolve into the city that finally fulfills its potential.

metro
02-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Funny, because when Curt first started posting he was gung ho on OKC, speaking highly of OKC and excited to move back, etc. etc. Obviously he had a bad experience at his short-lived employer so he's using it as a blanket excuse to paint the entire metro area bad. That must be the "northerner" open "progressive" mindset at work.

Bend, Jefferson Park would also be a nice area for you to look at.

Kerry
02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Oklahomans are rude to outsiders? Try moving from Oklahoma to Florida and having a New York transplant explain to you how electricity and cable tv works.

bdhumphreys
02-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey all, thought this previous post might be applicable:

imagiNATIVEamerica Living a Walkable Lifestyle in OKC (http://imaginativeamerica.com/2009/01/living-a-walkable-lifestyle-in-okc/)

cheers,

b

MikeOKC
02-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Hey all, thought this previous post might be applicable:

imagiNATIVEamerica Living a Walkable Lifestyle in OKC (http://imaginativeamerica.com/2009/01/living-a-walkable-lifestyle-in-okc/)

cheers,

b

The only thing about that post, Blair, is it looks at inner city neighborhoods only I guess to give that "urban lifestyle" feel. But the walking lifestyle is just as easy, if not easier, at Britton and North May (or pick your suburban area). You're within walking distance of everything that the Midtown area provides. Really, OKC doesn't have a walkable urban area, unless you really stretch it.

Blair, I'm really loving your blog. Great job!

NativeOkie
02-07-2009, 08:42 PM
i live near sheperd mall, and if your are far enough away from Taft Jr. high and NW classen there are non problems, i live next door to taft and i have had kids spray paint on my garage doors and a few weeks ago a man walked into my house grabbed my girlfriends purse of the couch and ran out, but i have lived here for 22 years and that is the only thing i have had to complain about, closer to sheperd mall is much better than my exact location but overall very nice older homes

At Last the truth!
Suburbs, its all you need to know.

bdhumphreys
02-07-2009, 09:15 PM
But the walking lifestyle is just as easy, if not easier, at Britton and North May (or pick your suburban area). You're within walking distance of everything that the Midtown area provides.

http://imaginativeamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/okc_britton_and_may.jpg

Mike, that is a strange twist of logic. May Avenue was designed specifically for people who own cars. Is this really what you think is more walkable than the City's close-in urban neighborhoods?

Check out this criteria (http://imaginativeamerica.com/2008/07/mapping-pedestrian-friendliness-in-okc/) to get a better since of what I tend to think of as the ingredients for a walkable urban form. Perhaps we are just using the same terminology to describe different things. Walkability is often described in terms of distance to amenities, but this assumes an acceptable level of pedestrian infrastructure and urban form, which almost none of OKC outer suburbs have.

In truth, I feel sorry for anyone that has to walk anywhere at N. May and Britton. It would be an absolutely miserable walk.

southernskye
02-07-2009, 09:18 PM
The only thing about that post, Blair, is it looks at inner city neighborhoods only I guess to give that "urban lifestyle" feel. But the walking lifestyle is just as easy, if not easier, at Britton and North May (or pick your suburban area). You're within walking distance of everything that the Midtown area provides. Really, OKC doesn't have a walkable urban area, unless you really stretch it.

Blair, I'm really loving your blog. Great job!Does that area even have sidewalks ?

southernskye
02-07-2009, 09:22 PM
What makes a neighborhood walkable?

A center: Walkable neighborhoods have a discernable center, whether it's a shopping district, a main street, or a public space.
Density: The neighborhood is compact enough for local businesses to flourish and for public transportation to run frequently.
Mixed income, mixed use: Housing is provided for everyone who works in the neighborhood: young and old, singles and families, rich and poor. Businesses and residences are located near each other.
Parks and public space: There are plenty of public places to gather and play.
Pedestrian-centric design: Buildings are placed close to the street to cater to foot traffic, with parking lots relegated to the back.
Nearby schools and workplaces: Schools and workplaces are close enough that most residents can walk from their homes.

Streets Designed for Everyone

Complete Streets (http://www.completestreets.org/) are roads are designed for everyone who uses them, including bicyclists, pedestrians of all ages and abilities, and people getting on and off transit vehicles. These streets are:

Accessible: There are wheelchair ramps, plenty of benches with shade, sidewalks on all streets, etc.
Well-connected: Streets form a connected grid that improves traffic by providing many routes to any destination.
Built for the right speed: Lanes are narrow or traffic calming is in place to control speed.
Comfortable: Pedestrian medians at intersections, count-down crosswalk timers, bicycle lanes, protected bus shelters, etc. make the street work better for those outside of a car.

MikeOKC
02-09-2009, 11:13 PM
http://imaginativeamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/okc_britton_and_may.jpg

Mike, that is a strange twist of logic. May Avenue was designed specifically for people who own cars. Is this really what you think is more walkable than the City's close-in urban neighborhoods?

Check out this criteria (http://imaginativeamerica.com/2008/07/mapping-pedestrian-friendliness-in-okc/) to get a better since of what I tend to think of as the ingredients for a walkable urban form. Perhaps we are just using the same terminology to describe different things. Walkability is often described in terms of distance to amenities, but this assumes an acceptable level of pedestrian infrastructure and urban form, which almost none of OKC outer suburbs have.

In truth, I feel sorry for anyone that has to walk anywhere at N. May and Britton. It would be an absolutely miserable walk.

Blair, I agree! I was misunderstood in my sarcasm. I was only pointing out that there are so FEW truly walkable urban areas in our city, that you're as likely to find amenities closer together in an outlying a suburban location. No, that's not "walkable" in the urban sense of the word. I agree! It only points out how few areas are truly walkable in the urban sense (laid out nicely in southerskye's post.)