View Full Version : $465 million in aid to Oklahoma includes lightrail!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ssandedoc
01-30-2009, 12:53 AM
http://newsok.com/465-million-expected-for-oklahoma-projects-from-stimulus-plan/article/3341793?custom_click=headlines_widget

"One of those projects could include money for a light rail line between Tinker Air Force Base and Bricktown, Ridley said."

$465 million expected for Oklahoma projects from stimulus plan
BY JULIE BISBEE
Published: January 30, 2009
Buzz up!

The proposed stimulus package being discussed by Congress could include up to $465 million for Oklahoma projects, state Transportation Director Gary Ridley told members of a House transportation committee Thursday.
Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

Oklahoma has a list of 130 projects ready for construction as soon as federal money becomes available.

One of those projects could include money for a light rail line between Tinker Air Force Base and Bricktown, Ridley said.

Under the legislation passed by the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday, states would receive money under a funding formula.

Under that formula, Ridley said the state could see anywhere between $460 million and $465 million in federal stimulus dollars.

"It’s all yet to be determined,” Ridley said. "It’s difficult to request funds for things when it’s still not settled.”

The U.S. Senate is expected to take up the measure next week. In the meantime, engineers working for the state Transportation Department continue to get projects designed and "shovel ready,” Ridley said.

Ridley said Oklahoma’s ready-to-go projects amount to about $1.1 billion.

Phil Tomlinson, director of the Turnpike Authority, also spoke to transportation committee members Thursday, updating them on progress made on improving travel stops along the turnpike.

One travel stop near Lone Chimney on the Cimmarron Turnpike is expected to be updated by spring. Five other sites are on the list for improvements to restaurant, fuel and restroom facilities.

Tomlinson said the turnpike continues to have ample room for motorists, but traffic is building on sections of turnpikes in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

In the next five to six years, sections of the Creek and Kilpatrick turnpikes will need to be expanded, he said. Engineering studies will show the exact need.

"We’ve never had capacity problems because we’ve always been a rural system,” Tomlinson said. "But that’s fixing to change. We’re already seeing capacity issues on sections in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.”

I'm excited!

PennyQuilts
01-30-2009, 02:54 AM
This is a stimulus package - not a wish list. These people need to be reading up on what was tried in the Great Depression - what worked and what didn't. If you don't know and you haven't read up on it - learn from history before making the same arguments that "sound" good but haven't worked - ever.

We're personally in pretty good shape because husband will have a nice pension and we have our house - plus the kids are grown and educated and so far, so good on the health. But yesterday, I took a look at a graphic illustration of the amount of expenditures and, literally, I came up out of my chair. It is so far out of line from what ever has been done, before, in magnitude. I honestly cannot imagine how this will keep from utterlying destroying the value of the money we DO have.

Plus, I spoke to several people, by coincidence, who are being put out of business by government regulations - especially those contained in two new bills. One runs a scenic rail road and two are homecrafters. Those types of businesses are the backbone of this country and all have turned a profit in previous years.

The first bill requires you to be certified to accept credit cards and proves you do not store any credit card data in an unsecured manner. So now they have to find a "certified examiner" to come in and certify they have no computer or server in the station only a debit machine, that does not store credit card holder info, so the bank can continue to allow them to accept credit cards. EVERY place that accepts credit cards falls under this new rule you must be certified that you do not need to be certified.
The scenic railroader live in Pennyslyvania and was already told the closest "certifier" under the new law examiner is in Illinois. Essentially, the bill places their ability to make ticket sales in jeopardy. They pay $35,000 a year for liability insurance with a bonded $40 grand deductable. They are getting out of the business this year because they can't make any money. Their business was a going concern until this happened. They haven't lost much business, even with the downturn because they have a family - type business that has families coming back every year to ride the train to the north pole, see santa, leaf peeping, etc.

The other bill has to do with protecting our children from lead paint - it was the pat your legislators on the back bill that arose from the freakout people went through when the stuff came over from China. This is a link to a recent forbes article about the law regarding lead paint, etc. It is long but well worth the read:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/...cx_wo_0116olson.html

In a nut shell, it is going to put a ton of home businesses out of work if not changed. Moreover, my friend with the scenic railroad had to close her gift shop for the reasons in the Forbes article. I seriously urge you to read it it - it is well written and lays it out in a way that is clear and easy to understand.

My friends aren't going belly up because of a lack of customers. But unlike in the Great Depression, we have a mass of governmental regulations that make it hard for good old Americans to strap on their boots and work their way out - even if the jobs are there. We've become anti business and no matter how hard you want to work or how much of an entreprenuer you are, the strangle hold of governmental regulation is going to make it all the harder to recover. We are in deep ****.

hipsterdoofus
01-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Lots of traffic from Tinker to Bricktown and vice versa?

metro
01-30-2009, 07:45 AM
East Coast, why are they going out of business proactively if the legislation hasn't even been passed? Shouldn't they wait to see if it passes first or gets modified? Surely if there is only one inspector for every few states, it would not be feasible for someone to keep up with the new demand for his services this proposed law would create.

Chicken In The Rough
01-30-2009, 08:08 AM

I had the same thought this morning. I am thrilled to possibly get some funding for a rapid transit/rail system in OKC. But, BT-Tinker seems like a line that could later. We should start with the core lines, the add the feeder lines as the budget and demand allows.

We have seen several light rail proposals in the past that included Fair Grounds to Airport lines. I always thought these seemed wasteful and detrimental to the overall system. If we spend $400 million on this line that very few will ride, the rest of the system will be put in jeopardy. Critics will argue that we built a state-of-the-art rail line and no one rode it. The real problem is that this state-of-the-art rail line connects two points that draw few commuters.

I see the same potential problem with the BT-Tinker line. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but I don't see this line being used that much this early in the game. I think Downtown-Penn Square, Downtown-Capitol/Med Center, or a 23rst St. line would be much more widely used. These lines could then be expanded and new feeder lines attached.

I would love to start with a major system connecting Tinker, Norman, and Edmond with major points in OKC. But I think we need to plan more carefully. Start with smaller lines that will maximize ridership, then grow the system to include these other points.

metro
01-30-2009, 08:17 AM
This line has been talked about for years. I don't think "Bricktown" is the major key to this line. I believe the thought is to get people from Tinker to DOWNTOWN in general and vice versa, not so much give tourist rides to Bricktown for the troops/workers. It would also make it a viable option for people who work at Tinker to be able to live the urban lifestyle without having to rely on a car. I agree, it may not be the best starter line, but those are the two biggest employment centers in the city.

soonerguru
01-30-2009, 08:18 AM
The positive takeaway here is that the Director of ODOT is even mentioning a rail proposal. Why that one? Because they already have plans submitted. I still believe, and I may be very wrong, that OKC is missing a real opportunity with the stimulus package. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

PLANSIT
01-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Not meaning to burst any bubbles, but the "light-rail project" spoken of in this article is really just $4 million for partial track upgrade between Bricktown and MWC/Tinker. It does not include bridge work, stations/platforms, trains, or at-grade crossing features; all of which are years from implementation, and therefore, would not conform to the spirit of the economic stimulus bill's "shovel ready" proclamation.

PennyQuilts
01-30-2009, 08:36 AM
East Coast, why are they going out of business proactively if the legislation hasn't even been passed? Shouldn't they wait to see if it passes first or gets modified? Surely if there is only one inspector for every few states, it would not be feasible for someone to keep up with the new demand for his services this proposed law would create.

The law is passed and goes into effect February 10. All the inventory on hand has to be tossed. Any of the new inventory has to meet the higher standards and if you don't think that is going to jack up the price to the point where it is not worth it to stock, think again.

As for the credit card - a small business isn't going to gamble that they won't be noticed. They have no funds to defend themselves in court and if something goes bad with the credit card, they are toast. Small business simply don't have the resources to defend themselves if charged. Even if they "win," they still have attorney fees and that could take years to get through the courts.

mecarr
01-30-2009, 08:52 AM
I think this is a great idea. It's nice Oklahomans will see some of the stimulus which is badly needed.

TaoMaas
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
This is a stimulus package - not a wish list. ECO, for the time being, give me a "high five" on that one. I totally agree. We can go back to feuding afterwards, if you want. lol Our current situation keeps making me think of the scene in "It's a Wonderful Life" where there's a run on the bank and James Stewart is trying to divide up his remaining assets. He's asking people, "What do you WANT?" vs "What do you NEED?". I think that's where we are in America. For my tastes, there's too much "want" flying around and not enough addressing of "need".

PennyQuilts
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Oklahoma is in terrific shape compared to most of the rest of the country. This is just pork using the economy as an excuse to get something they wanted, anyway.

TaoMaas
01-30-2009, 08:57 AM
This line has been talked about for years. I don't think "Bricktown" is the major key to this line. I believe the thought is to get people from Tinker to DOWNTOWN in general and vice versa, not so much give tourist rides to Bricktown for the troops/workers. It would also make it a viable option for people who work at Tinker to be able to live the urban lifestyle without having to rely on a car. I agree, it may not be the best starter line, but those are the two biggest employment centers in the city.

Man, I'd like to see some figures on how many folks are commuting from downtown to Tinker. I just don't think that's where our priority ought to be if we're going to build this thing.

danielf1935
01-30-2009, 08:58 AM
If it smells like a pig, walks like a pig, oink's like a pig, it's "PORK"

I don't see how an improved rail line can stimulate the economy !!!!!!

TaoMaas
01-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Oklahoma is in terrific shape compared to most of the rest of the country. This is just pork using the economy as an excuse to get something they wanted, anyway.
I agree with that....BUT, gas is also below $2/gal right now. When OKC hurts is when gas goes to $4 or $5/gal because we're so spread out physically. Should we prepare now for what we know is coming eventually (gas going back up)?

danielf1935
01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Okies are spoiled when it comes to their cars. I live in Norman and occassionally use the bus for transporation, even when gas was near 4.00 there never was more than 5--6 people riding the bus.

TaoMaas
01-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Okies are spoiled when it comes to their cars. I live in Norman and occassionally use the bus for transporation, even when gas was near 4.00 there never was more than 5--6 people riding the bus.
I can agree with that, somewhat. We ARE a bit spoiled. So...now what do we do? I read an article a year or two ago where the author decided to ride the bus for a while just to see what changes it made in his life. If I remember right, it was taking him about 1 1/2 hours to get to work each day! I can think of a number of options that I would consider prior to just accepting that length of commute every day.

soonerguru
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM
We've discussed this issue dozens of times. The bus system would get more riders if the bus system worked for riders schedule wise. It's a chicken and egg deal. I rode the bus for several months every day and it was almost always full. Occasionally, I had to stand and wait for a seat. This was before the ridiculously high gas prices. It works in other cities. It would work here, too, if the routes and schedules work for people.

warreng88
01-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Hypothetically, what if the city is already planning (aka MAPS 3) on doing an Edmond to DT and Norman to DT and this would be the next logical step?

LordGerald
01-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Hypothetically, what if the city is already planning (aka MAPS 3) on doing an Edmond to DT and Norman to DT and this would be the next logical step?

Commuter rail transit (CRT) was a component explored in the fixed guideway study, conducted by the city in 2005. It will not be a projects of MAPS 3, unless you can have a simultaneous election in Edmond and Norman. That would best be served by a county-wide vote.

A CRT line from Edmond to Norman would actually span six different municipal boundaries and involve up to three different authorities of the rail line, so some type of regional agreement or authority would be necessary. It would be presumptive to assume that OKC (and the citizens of) could do it alone, or would want to.

CuatrodeMayo
01-30-2009, 12:27 PM
There was an in-depth study done a few years ago regarding at BT-Tinker/Town Center line. I don't think it is online anywhere, but I read a print copy back when I worked for the City of Midwest City. Bascially it would use existing and abandoned ROW it's entire length. I think I have a map somewhere depicting where it would be...

mecarr
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
If it smells like a pig, walks like a pig, oink's like a pig, it's "PORK"

I don't see how an improved rail line can stimulate the economy !!!!!!

Someone has to build the light rail system, maintain it and operate it. This creates jobs.

danielf1935
01-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Correct, you have to spend money to build it, operate it and maintain it, but if it never turns a profit, are you really stimulating the economy.

soonerliberal
01-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Correct, you have to spend money to build it, operate it and maintain it, but if it never turns a profit, are you really stimulating the economy.

Yeah... those jobs created to build it and maintain it are given to people. People spend money. Simple.

danielf1935
01-30-2009, 02:10 PM
That's one of the reason our economy is in the shape it's in, Goverment spending on useless things. Why build something that you know is going to loose money, then spend the next 50 years wasting more money to keep it operating. Very Simple

Spartan
01-30-2009, 02:11 PM

No.

PennyQuilts
01-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Fifty states are going to be gobbling up whatever pet project they can get and it won't matter if it is a true stimulus. It will simply be free money and Christmas time. There is not a politician out there who is going to turn down free stuff for his/her state. Have I mentioned that we are screwed?

Caboose
01-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah... those jobs created to build it and maintain it are given to people. People spend money. Simple.

Right.. and the job of napping and watching TV for 80k a year could be given to me. In turn I would spend money. Simple. So lets take money out of your pocket to fund my salary, what do you say?

Its not the role of the government to "give" people jobs. If the project is useful, efficient, and serves the greater public then yes, let us spend tax dollars on it. If it happens to provide maintence jobs, that is just a bonus. But taking tax money to fund a useless failure of a project is not "creating jobs" or "stimulating the economy". It is merely merely redistributing wealth from the pockets of the tax payers to the salaries of those employed by the project.

USG '60
01-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Coburn, maybe?

Lord Helmet
01-30-2009, 02:39 PM
That's one of the reason our economy is in the shape it's in, Goverment spending on useless things. Why build something that you know is going to loose money, then spend the next 50 years wasting more money to keep it operating. Very Simple

I dunno if I'd call a light rail system in the okc area "useless"

Chicken In The Rough
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Rail lines certainly do stimulate the economy. Check the stats on nearly city with relatively new and successful rail lines --Dallas, Atlanta, Portland, etc. The lines have stimulated an unbelievable amount of investment in commercial and residential develpment around their stations. The key, however, is the rail lines must be moderately useful in the first place.

hipsterdoofus
01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Man, I'd like to see some figures on how many folks are commuting from downtown to Tinker. I just don't think that's where our priority ought to be if we're going to build this thing.

Exactly - people work at tinker, people work downtown - I don't think there would be much in the way of traffic on this line at all. Sounds like a nice waste of money when we can't even get I-40 done in a reasonable amount of time (would ODOT be in charge of this too?)

dismayed
01-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Seems like the 25k people who work at Tinker might enjoy a lunch break in Bricktown if it were more convenient....

oneforone
02-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Well look at it this way.. with light rail all the panhandlers and street people could efficiently be dispersed around the city when the world series of checkers tournament and the man who met Andy Griffith comes to town.

LakeEffect
02-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Exactly - people work at tinker, people work downtown - I don't think there would be much in the way of traffic on this line at all. Sounds like a nice waste of money when we can't even get I-40 done in a reasonable amount of time (would ODOT be in charge of this too?)

ODOT wouldn't be in charge - a local authority of some sort would be formed. I've been told that many of the people moving into the new developments around Downtown/Bricktown are engineers and high-paid personnel from Tinker, so yes, there would be commuter traffic all the way. The line would also pick up many of the people who commute in regularly, maybe from park & ride lots. The lines and waits to get into Tinker during shift are horrendous, or so I'm told. Taking light rail in would help some people avoid that, and also reduce some of the congestion.

PennyQuilts
02-01-2009, 06:55 AM
No way will Tinker people go to Bricktown for their lunch, regularly. They tend to get an hour for lunch. That is just dreaming.

Nermel
02-01-2009, 08:55 AM
I'd much rather see FICA taxes suspended for a few months to stimulate the ecoonomy rather than all of these pet projects that congress is pushing.

scootinger
02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
As everyone else has said, this doesn't sound very useful...unless Midwest City has something remarkable in the works (which they don't to my knowledge) aside from a cookie-cutter big-box shopping center. I wonder how much Midwest City spent on kickbacks for the people working on this?

What happened to the light rail that was supposed to go between Moore (I think?) and Edmond? That seems like a much better route.

venture
02-01-2009, 06:03 PM
If they do anything, Norman-OKC should be priority. Then extend it to Edmond. I say Norman has priority due to the strain on traffic I-35 still presents and the widening won't be done for a few years. Whereas Edmond and northern burbs have multiple highway access to moving traffic, unlike the 3rd largest city in the state which has 1 that is consistently gridlocked during rush hour.

mcgrawsdad
02-01-2009, 07:12 PM
I had the same thought this morning. I am thrilled to possibly get some funding for a rapid transit/rail system in OKC. But, BT-Tinker seems like a line that could later. We should start with the core lines, the add the feeder lines as the budget and demand allows.

We have seen several light rail proposals in the past that included Fair Grounds to Airport lines. I always thought these seemed wasteful and detrimental to the overall system. If we spend $400 million on this line that very few will ride, the rest of the system will be put in jeopardy. Critics will argue that we built a state-of-the-art rail line and no one rode it. The real problem is that this state-of-the-art rail line connects two points that draw few commuters.

I see the same potential problem with the BT-Tinker line. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but I don't see this line being used that much this early in the game. I think Downtown-Penn Square, Downtown-Capitol/Med Center, or a 23rst St. line would be much more widely used. These lines could then be expanded and new feeder lines attached.

I would love to start with a major system connecting Tinker, Norman, and Edmond with major points in OKC. But I think we need to plan more carefully. Start with smaller lines that will maximize ridership, then grow the system to include these other points.

30000 workers and armed services personnel in one convenient location. Many of the bricktown and downtown entertainment venues are frequented by personnel stationed at tinker. Just imagine if they could go enjoy themselves and not have to worry about a designated driver, taxi, etc. Oklahoma City is unique because of the massive amount of sprawl and a large scale light rail system simply will not work in OKC. It would have limited success if it concentrates on the largest employment and commercial centers.

dismayed
02-01-2009, 10:53 PM
No way will Tinker people go to Bricktown for their lunch, regularly. They tend to get an hour for lunch. That is just dreaming.

I'm just trying to find the positive in a kind of odd situation. The reality is that there is going to be some percentage of people who might want to go to Bricktown maybe once a week or every few weeks. If it is as small as say 5% of that 25k workforce per week, and the average tab is $15 after tax and tip, that would equal just under $1 million new dollars in Bricktown per year. That's something positive to think about, isn't it?

PennyQuilts
02-02-2009, 04:16 AM
I'm just trying to find the positive in a kind of odd situation. The reality is that there is going to be some percentage of people who might want to go to Bricktown maybe once a week or every few weeks. If it is as small as say 5% of that 25k workforce per week, and the average tab is $15 after tax and tip, that would equal just under $1 million new dollars in Bricktown per year. That's something positive to think about, isn't it?

They won't have TIME to go.

And this is a stimulus package congress is attempting to pass in a crisis. Turning it into a pork grab bag - especially when it is the only shot we have because there will be no money left - is a betrayal of the taxpayers. Once the money is gone, what are we going to do with a natural disaster or a widescale terrorist attack?

kevinpate
02-02-2009, 06:46 AM
> Once the money is gone, what are we going to do with a natural disaster or
> a widescale terrorist attack?

Same thing we always do, irrespective of whose fav party machine is at the top of the heap ... print more. Not saying it's wise, but it's certainly not unprecedented.

BG918
02-02-2009, 07:55 AM
If they do anything, Norman-OKC should be priority. Then extend it to Edmond. I say Norman has priority due to the strain on traffic I-35 still presents and the widening won't be done for a few years. Whereas Edmond and northern burbs have multiple highway access to moving traffic, unlike the 3rd largest city in the state which has 1 that is consistently gridlocked during rush hour.

I agree. Norman-OKC seems the most logical first commuter line to me.

metro
02-02-2009, 08:00 AM
The rail line location isn't optional. As others stated this is a pork grab bag of ready to go projects, the Tinker/Downtown line was drawn up years ago and is "shovel-ready." Unfortunately to my knowledge their aren't any finalized drawn up plans from Norman-Edmond rail line that is shovel-ready. It basically comes down to if the government is handing out money (regardless if projects make sense), are we going to take the money for something or not take any at all. The route isn't up for discussion/change at this point in time. Oh and I agree with the poster that plenty of people from the Tinker area would use it to commute to downtown and vice versa. I know of several members of this board who live downtown and work at Tinker. Also, couldn't you imagine some of the troops taking it downtown on the weekends for a night out in Bricktown?

CuatrodeMayo
02-02-2009, 10:26 AM
It would connect downtown residents to the MWC "town center" as well.

angel27
02-02-2009, 12:13 PM
If maybe this is not the most desired route, Bricktown to Tinker, but it is shovel-ready, and I think many saw this route in place years down the line, but we can get it now, then we should do so. Many of us know we need a mass-transit artery in place to have the kind of city we know we can be and is most needed by our residents now and into the future. I'm just wondering at what point in BT it connects..?

One struggling mother I know lives on SW 63rd and Western. She is going to school at Heritage at Crossroads. To get there, she must go all the way downtown to the terminal and then catch another bus to Heritage. it takes her 1 1/2 hours to go one way. She is willing and glad for the opportunity even tho she must leave at 6 each weekday morning.

The way things are now, we make it really hard for those struggling to get their act together. You say you can't see yourself on the bus for 1 1/2 hrs trying to get to work, fine. but we continue to hurt ouselves by not helping the least among us who have no other options. I think we need to open our eyes and see that by making life better and easier for everyone, we are helping ourselves. like those students we want to develop and keep here. And all those struggling artists likewise. We've come a long way on the aesthetics of our city. And on our schools. Transportation is next. If the only concrete plans we've made are Tinker to Bricktown then so be it. At least that part of it will be done.

venture
02-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah definitely a massive pork grab bag. Trying to avoid letting this spiral into thread that should be in the political forum...I strongly believe that any MSA with unemployment less than 5% unemployment should be exempt from there. Want to stimulate the economy, get the areas with 8, 10, or higher unemployment rates back to work. Not the cities where things just doing well.

soonerguru
02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Not the cities where things just doing well.

So should OKC just say, "Thanks, but no thanks?" We have highway and bridge problems in this state that haven't been addressed for forty years. I say we deserve a share, not a big share, but a share nonetheless.

Keep in mind that the bill the House passed will look very different after the Senate passes its bill. I'm hopeful that some of the pork will be trimmed, but also keep in mind there are no "earmarks" in this bill, a massive change from every other bill Congress passed during the last decade.

venture
02-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't think we should get more than a city that is of equal size but worse off. Yes we have bridge and highway problems in this state. I'm sure we could get into a whole discussion on funding for that at the state and federal level and where funds are perhaps spent on pork projects rather than what we need.

Needless to say, if we are going to get the money no matter what...light rail from Midwest City to Bricktown is not anything that will help in a widespread way. The money can be spent in a much better way.

soonerguru
02-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Needless to say, if we are going to get the money no matter what...light rail from Midwest City to Bricktown is not anything that will help in a widespread way. The money can be spent in a much better way.

Then ODOT, not Congress, is responsible. ODOT is who submitted the project. Personally, I'm thrilled to see ODOT endorse rail at all. I'm not aware they've done so ever for commuter purposes. I agree with all, however, that it seems like a low-priority line.

The issue here is that the city shouldn't be waiting to get plans in place. If we had blueprints on some rail projects they might be in the mix right now.

PennyQuilts
02-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't think we should get more than a city that is of equal size but worse off. Yes we have bridge and highway problems in this state. I'm sure we could get into a whole discussion on funding for that at the state and federal level and where funds are perhaps spent on pork projects rather than what we need.

Well stated.

sgray
02-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Well, I think none of us want to blow money or pay more taxes, but the fact remains: "use it or lose it". That's the deal. The money will be spent either in our town, or in someone else's. We are gonna pay a share of it whether we use it or not, so the logical thing to do is take advantage of our share of it.

Regardless of the situation with the MWC/TAFB-BRICKTOWN line, I think it's a terrible thing for people to see that now, in 2009, OKC has no plans good enough to even make them "shovel-ready" for transit. And I mean TRANSIT--not just rail! This issue is not just about money. OKC and OK in general have refused to take this issue out of the shoebox on the shelf and touch it at all! It keeps getting talked about..and talked about..and talked about. We need engineered plans--on paper--not just google maps and estimates, which is what they've paid for so far. Then we can know what we're up against. We can bite pieces off as we can fund it. Our little bus system is something we could be fixing now and could have been fixing years ago. Yet the problems remain. And day-after-day we talk, and look, and talk, and look. The leaders in charge of that system come to work and go home, day after day after day. Nothing. It's there now and even what we do have isn't efficiently implemented. Our local bus station (newly built) is not only in the middle of a tight downtown block, but it is not even close to the regional bus station and that is something the planners knew about before they built it. Why can't I ride the bus to the terminal and transfer to Greyhound without walking a mile or taking yet another mis-allocated bus just to the union bus station?

(takes breath)

As metro and others have stated, it is true that since this little demo project in MWC is the only real thing on paper, we really must start with that line. It sucks, cause that's gonna be a less-efficient start-up as opposed to Norman and Edmond, downtown, and the airport...but in the big picture, it is a piece of the pie that must be completed. So while it is not an optimal start, it is part of the pie. Because we will be starting there, the cost-benefit numbers on daily operations for that line are gonna skew quite a bit until we get a full system up and people can connect to that leg of the system. That part, I fear, may get used against us by anyone wishing to prevent mass transit implementation here. They could say "look how much this is costing us to operate!" and they wouldn't be lying. Unlike Norman or Edmond, until the rest of the system is up and going, that MWC leg is gonna cost more than it brings in to operate.

I hope that it gets selected and implemented and that the best-case scenario occurs and it fuels a massive fire in this community to kick-start the proper design and buildout of a functional transit system.

DISCLAIMER: unrelated, crazy-a** idea below.

Don't you folks think that it is about time that OKCTalk implements a picket line and/or organizes a strong vocal position at the "decision-making" meetings? I know we already have that individual right, but this forum really is a great platform and IMO I think it would have a two-fold benefit of attracting people 1) to the issues before the decisions are made; and 2) attract more folks to OKCTalk as the central hub to discuss all issues "OKC".

SouthsideSooner
02-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Jobs for Oklahomans

Gary Ridley, director of the state Transportation Department, has been working for three months on a list of state road and bridge projects that will be ready to go when the money is in the pipeline.

Ridley said the money will have use-it-or-lose-it conditions, but he doesn’t expect any other restrictions that would prevent the highway commission from approving bids on projects that have been part of the department’s backlog for years.

"We’re focused on the fact that we need to move quickly on this,” Ridley said. "It means jobs for Oklahomans.”

Most of the road and transit money is expected to go through the funding formula used since 2005 to distribute gas tax revenue to states for construction. Oklahoma is expected to get about $500 million for roads, bridges and transit projects.

The state actually has more "shovel-ready” projects than would be funded by that amount. Ridley said he expects the commission to divide the projects among its eight divisions statewide.

http://www.newsok.com/stimulus-bill-may-help-oklahomas-roads-schools/article/3342528

dismayed
02-02-2009, 09:25 PM
They won't have TIME to go.

I saw this in your original post, no need to yell. I just don't think that is the case. Yeah sure the blue collar types at the base are on a strict schedule, but not the white collar workers. Almost all of them have flexible schedules. I think it would be possible to draw a measly 5% across to Tinker, don't you? That is a very conservative number. And like I said the math adds up to $1 million new dollars per year at that level.

Whether or not we should be getting this project is out of scope for this thread, but if we get it I think it actually would have a net positive impact. I think it is pretty easy to come up with numbers that support that.

benman
02-03-2009, 07:39 AM
We would have a ton of money if the government was not trying to spend it on the most worthless liberal agendas. $465 million is is not going to get us very far. Also, a light rail between tinker and downtown is a terrible idea in my opinion. Use the money to clean up some areas around the city or build something worthwhile.

metro
02-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Not to mention if you consider this as a starter line (or by the time it's implemented maybe it's not), and if MAPS3 has mass transit (which I would almost guarantee), this line could tie into other lines proposed in MAPS3, then voila ---we have more than one line in operation at about the same time, and we got the feds to pay for part of it that otherwise we might have had to foot all the bill on. I'm not sure why people are so upset at this or think it's optional/ up for discussion, as sgray stated, it's take it or leave it, either way we're paying for it, might as well route money to our state for a change. Some of these posters sound like the politicians we've had for decades having no problem routing money we should be getting to other states instead.

bretthexum
02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
^^ Totally agree. The first line is never going to please everyone. At least it's a start towards light rail in the city. Start small, and build from there.

TaoMaas
02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
The first line is never going to please everyone. At least it's a start towards light rail in the city. Start small, and build from there. I agree with this, but I question Tinker-to-downtown as a the right starting point. I used to live in Edmond and worked downtown. I would gladly have taken a light rail option, if it had been available. Since I took Broadway Ext. normally, I never knew if my commute was going to take 20 minutes or 1 1/2 hrs. It could vary anywhere in between the two, depending on whether there was an accident or not. That commute was 17 miles each way, btw. These days, I still work downtown, but I live in Midwest City, so I'm a prime candidate for using the proposed rail line. But I live about 6 miles from downtown and 3 miles from Tinker. So using a rail system now only gains me a 3 mile advantage, whereas before it would have given me a 12-15 mile advantage. Since I drive a car that gets about 30 mpg and I sometimes work weird hours, gas would probably have to approach $7-$10/gal before the cost/nuisance factor would equal out enough for me to consider using the light rail option.

OKCMallen
02-03-2009, 09:27 AM

This. Give me a route down 235 to downtown and I'd take it on a fairly regular basis for work AND play.