View Full Version : Conns

bombermwc
01-27-2009, 07:31 AM
So I heard today that Conn's is planning their next expansion to be into the MWC market. The one on 240 opened not long ago...I actually drive by it every day and just noticed it open today...go figure.

Anyway, so that leads to the first question of, if it doesnt get cut out of the economic picture, where will it go? There really isn't any room for it on 29th, and I don't know of any large parcels that would accomodate it. There is one lot next to Best Buy though....but I'm trying to tell myself it will be a book store one day.

So how likely do we think it would be that they would go in the old Albertson's on Reno and Midwest? It's one of those stores that location doesnt really matter. People know where it's at and drive there, no matter where it is...like Target.

woodyrr
01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Although not technically in Midwest City, I my guess would be I-40 and Sooner Rd., southwest.

This is a year old:

Conn's Appliances enters OKC market | Journal Record, The (Oklahoma City) | Find Articles at BNET (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20080129/ai_n21217247)

Thunder
01-27-2009, 09:37 AM
According to readings here, Conn's is a huge warehouse store. Neither the old Walmart and Albertson's store will be able to be a fit for this kind of store.

I really can't think of a place with decent space and traffic in MWC. The one I can think of is the massive space on 15th, just to the east of the Sooner Rose school. They could set up there, as it would seem to be a fit. After all, Home Depot of similar size is across the street.

I do recall that the Sooner Rose school will be torn down (relocation).

If Conn's want to expand into MWC, then that would be the best location. Walmart and Home Depot is nearby. Del City's future developments on the other side of I-40.

When the school is gone, smaller businesses can set up there.

All of this can benefit Conn's on space, location, and traffic.

If you think it is suitable, maybe you can pass along the suggestion to someone with Conn's.

Luke
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
My only experience with Conns was a bad one. I called and asked if they had a product in stock. They said they did. I go there and they didn't. The salesperson told me they never had it and that the person I talked to didn't know what he was talking about. On a completely related note, perfect store name!

bluedogok
01-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Fry's is a Home Depot/Wal-Mart Supercenter size store, Conn's is not. Most of the Conn's down here in Austin would fit in an Albertson's/Wal-Mart (non-Supercenter) size store. The one at NW Expressway & Independence is in the former Office Max store after they reduced it in size. There is one in South Austin that is next to a now dark Target (a new Supercenter opened up 2 miles south on I-35) and it is much smaller than the old Target. Most of the ones here are in vacated stores, they have built a few new ones when there isn't anything existing that serves their needs, most are around the new, smaller Best Buy size. I have never seen them in anything approaching a Home Depot or Wal-Mart Supercenter even in the Houston area which is the closest big market to their HQ city of Beaumont.

Thunder
01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I assumed they're a very large warehouse stores according to some posts.

If the new one plans to be that much smaller, then I'm sure they can fit somewhere on the Del City side.

bombermwc
01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Definitely smaller, they are no bigger than a Best Buy.

The folks said MWC specifically, but we all know that can change on a dime so it's worth a grain of salt.

Personally, I won't ever go back to a Conn's. I went to the NW one when i bought a fridge, and not only were all the sales people creepy, but when we told them we saw a better deal for the same model at Sears, they went crazy. They basically tried to tell us we were lieing because "that's not possible". We promptly told off the guy for being so rude and went to Sears to buy the one we wanted. Oh and btw, the lady at Sears hinted us to the fact that we should wait 3 days because it was about to go on sale and it would save us $300.

etool782
01-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I've heard similar things about Conn's

Honestly, I'm gonna have to back up the Sears folks. I've had nothing but good luck with them in terms of price and honesty from their staff. They price match and give you honest opinions.

Sears pretty much beats Best Buy and all the other big box places overall.

so1rfan
01-28-2009, 09:36 PM
I went to the NW store once as well. One salesman every two feet. It was kinda creepy that you couldn't think out loud without someone pouncing.

On the other hand walk into a Home Depot and you can barely find an employee at all.

kevinpate
01-29-2009, 04:47 AM
> walk into a Home Depot and you can barely find an employee at all.

That's why I like the place. :)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
01-29-2009, 06:02 AM
The sales staff, the not-so-hot pricing, and the fact that the stuff they sell is bottom of the barrel for the most part...That's what keeps me out of that place.

Every stick of furniture I saw in that place was complete junk, and the electronics? Reminded me of Ebay.

Caveat emptor and ya git whatcha pay for!

scootinger
02-01-2009, 06:09 PM
According to readings here, Conn's is a huge warehouse store. Neither the old Walmart and Albertson's store will be able to be a fit for this kind of store.

Nope...Conn's is probably about the size of a Bestbuy type store more or less. There's actually a Conn's in Edmond that opened in a former Albertson's space. I would say it would be highly probable that Conn's would open up a store in the area you're talking about (1 mile east of Heritage?), as they seem to open stores in low-rent buildings in areas that have lots of vacant retail.

I've been into the Conn's on NW Expressway and I wasn't too impressed with it....the furniture section was a mess and buying what I wanted (a TV stand that I only bought because they had a good price) was a huge hassle compared to buying something at a similar store like CircuitCity/Bestbuy/Sears/etc. I don't really understand how they plan to stay in the OKC market for more than a year or two.

bombermwc
02-02-2009, 07:34 AM
More props to Sears. I've been looking to replace my stove and have gone all over OKC. From Metro Builders, to big-box stores....and guess where I ended back up. The Sears in MWC. After trying to look other places to see what people had to offer, Sears not only had the best price, but they didn't try to tell me what I was looking for didn't exist. Everyehwere else I went tried to tell me that Maytag was the only brand that made a double oven in a normal size range. Guess what, GE Kenmore both make 2 of them. Anyway, long story short, the ever present sales at Sears have brought me back again. Their sale actually ended Friday, so I'll just wait for it go on sale again.

Sears - 3 (Fridge, Dryer, Stove....and probably eventually the built in microwave to match, then why not the dishwasher too).

Other stores - 0.

bluedogok
02-05-2009, 08:20 PM
It seems like Conn's is doing better than many of the other chains right now....

San Antonio Business Journal - Conn’s sales benefit from strong year-end consumer spending (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2009/02/02/daily36.html)
Thursday, February 5, 2009, 4:13pm CST

Conn’s Inc. released guidance Thursday showing that sales of consumer electronics, furniture and mattresses posted double-digit increases for the quarter ended Jan. 31, 2009.

The Beaumont, Texas-based specialty retailer will report net sales of $245.4 million for the latest quarter. Sales are up $44.8 million, or 22.3 percent, for the quarter, compared to sales reported for the quarter ended Jan. 31, 2008. Net sales represent total product sales, service maintenance agreement commissions and service revenue. The company will report full financial results for the quarter on March 26, 2009.

Conn’s (NASDAQ: CONN) sells home appliances, consumer electronics, computers, lawn and garden products, furniture and mattresses. The company has 10 stores in San Antonio. The company’s net sales were boosted by purchases of flat-panel televisions and home-theater equipment, laptop computers, DVD players and video game equipment.

Net sales increased $74 million to $805 million for the year ended Jan. 31, 2009. This is up 10.1 percent from the year ended Jan. 31, 2008.

Conn’s has a total of 76 retail locations in Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.

bombermwc
02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
How much of that do you think is because of new store sales though? They're expanding right now, so it's hard to see what the real value of those locations will be. You'll have to wait until they've been open a full year before they can be honestly judged. Right now people still go there becuase it's new and they want to check it out. However, like most stores, after it's been open a while, sales will drop.

Martin
02-06-2009, 09:20 AM
i've been looking to replace my stove and have gone all over okc.

give dick christman's a call... i've bought most all of my appliances from them and have been quite pleased with their sales, prices and service. their sales people are quite knowledgeable and won't pressure you into something you don't need. they don't have a huge showroom, but can order pretty much anything. their prices are competitive and if anything should go wrong, they'll really take care of you.

-M

Jesseda
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
looks like conns will be in moore as well according to the royal rock plaza shopping center map

Martin
02-06-2009, 09:55 AM
^
so much is happening in moore it's hard to keep up... where is royal rock plaza?

-M

Jesseda
02-06-2009, 10:03 AM
never mind i just checked out royal rock plazas web site and the royal rock plazaland is all up for sale in sections by the owner. i guess times are to tought to build a large shopping center like royal rock