View Full Version : Whole Foods

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Proud Daddy
05-12-2010, 06:46 PM
According to the Wal-Mart Stores website, a typical Neighborhood Market is 42,000 sq. ft if that gives you any kind of idea concerning size. That's a pretty fair amount of space, so I don't think we will be disappointed that our Whole Foods will be too small. I have been to Whole Foods in NYC and LA and yes they are big and awesome, but we have to start somewhere! I can't wait to spend my first dollar there.

Spartan
05-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Forward Foods will likely be fine, Tulsa has two other upscale small grocers within a mile of Whole Foods, Center One Market and Allen's and they both seem to be doing fine.

As for size, it's hard to tell about the Tulsa Store, it's such an odd shape since they expanded. I would still guess it to be under 40,000 square feet. It's not a large store.

Not to mention Petty's in Utica Square..some of my relatives drive in from Bixby to shop there.

I take 35,000 sf to be fairly small for a Whole Foods, so I'm guessing they still don't expect a lot of productivity out of the OKC store? That's good, because the lower their expectations are, the higher they'll be exceeded in OKC, and the sooner we might get a second store in Norman or Downtown, but more likely..Norman.

betts
05-12-2010, 07:09 PM
If there isn't a liquor addition to the building, that will decrease square footage requirements somewhat, so perhaps that's the reason.

Spartan
05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
On another note, notice in the press release how it talks about "the next phase of development that Chesapeake is involved in." That to me is the REAL nugget of info, Chesapeake confirming that there is a greater scheme that this project is a part of, to the NORTH of Classen Curve. Hopefully it will resemble more of a sustainable development, since developers typically phase themselves into sustainability when they're pioneering. Such as UNP..strip mall first, lifestyle center portion proposed a thousand years later. I see something similar to that stair-step evolution going on here, with the difference being that it is actually happening unlike anything else in OKC.

Oil Capital
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Also does anyone know what is the size of the Tulsa store??

Don't know the size of the Tulsa store, other than it is obviously smaller than the OKC store will be. The press release included this item: "the new Oklahoma City Whole Foods Market will be the largest natural and organic supermarket in the state."

bluedogok
05-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah its a TFCU Visa Debit card. Good to know!!Debit cards are murky waters, not all the Visa/MC rules apply to debit cards.

You know I was thinking the same thing right when I posted that. As much as we depend on plastic (debit or credit), I think the redundancy of our banking networks are pretty robust since I have never had an issue ever. Knock on wood..
I worked retail in the days when we were first trying to move the the manual card machines to the phone in/swipe machines and they worked rarely. So I am still a bit skittish on trusting them entirely. I was at a place a few weeks ago that lost their internet, which means they lost their VOIP and connection to process credit cards but I was still able to get lunch with cash. There are also many places outside of the cities which do not take cash, most of those places ar in the Hill Country where I ride motorcycles so I am used to it. I know the Original Salt Lick in Driftwood (http://www.saltlickbbq.com/locations_driftwood.html) doesn't take cards, like some other like that they have an ATM machine in the entry.

I take 35,000 sf to be fairly small for a Whole Foods, so I'm guessing they still don't expect a lot of productivity out of the OKC store? That's good, because the lower their expectations are, the higher they'll be exceeded in OKC, and the sooner we might get a second store in Norman or Downtown, but more likely..Norman.
They used to list store sizes on the store locations page, I guess they have taken those off the website. The HQ/Lamar location is 80,000 sf, I think the Gateway location is around 30,000, the planned Domain replacement store was supposed to be around 70,000 sf, there is still not one in South Austin.

HOT ROD
05-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Congratulations to OKC on finally having the official announcement of WF. I hope this leads to a plethora of additional upscale (and non-Oklahoma City existing) development so the city as a whole can have more options for residents and visitors.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the relative small size of the store. I agree with others that this is indicative to 1) more stores to open in the OKC metro provided this store gets swamped with people shopping (as is expected) and 2) with beer/wine excluded, this extra space probably was not required.

Although, it would have been nice if they could have built to the 'standard' 44,000 size in case laws are changed later, they could build a liquor/beer building next door (and I'd expect them to). As for the additional locations, I could see a downtown store in 5 years (similar or smaller size, more devoted to prepared/catored meals), a very large store in Norman and possibly Edmond, and in the long range a medium store in the west and east (take your pic on the suburb or if it is OKC).

Having smaller stores allows for more stores to be built in a city, which is nice as that encourages density in other areas of the city (a 'town center' effect) which is what OKC definitely needs to focus on. Also pay attention where it said, that Whole Foods stores try to cator to their local shopping market. .......

fromdust
05-12-2010, 08:32 PM
The Dallas parklane location is 64000sq ft but it has wine and beer. So that might make a difference, hope we get a wine store next to wholefoods.

never been to a whole foods, but 29,000 sq ft difference between okc and parklane is huge. is the wine and beer section that big? cant be...

scootinger
05-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I wonder what that is going to do to Forward Foods on Western?

I wouldn't be surprised if Whole Foods' opening might actually improve business for Forward Foods (as well as other nearby businesses). Whole Foods will probably attract a number of customers that have not shopped at organic/highend grocery stores in the past. You might see such customers going to local businesses like Forward Foods if they can manage to provide a higher quality of product or can offer products that WF doesn't. I recall reading about this sort of phenomenon happening with Starbucks & local coffee shops in some areas.

mugofbeer
05-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I bet there are quite a number of people like myself who have shopped at Whole Foods for produce, fresh meat and fish and prepared foods but don't really buy the rest of what they sell. I'm not an organic nut but the items listed above seem superior to what you find at the other grocers in Denver. I could see Whole Foods being a help to the little market in Nichols Hills Plaza (I forget the name) on items other than meats and produce. Kamps is the store that may be badly hurt. They may want to look to move away from this store.

BossLady
05-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Not to mention Petty's in Utica Square..some of my relatives drive in from Bixby to shop there.

I lived in Philadelphia for years and they had 2 Whole Foods and it wasn't nearly enough to handle the demand. Maybe they like it that way but if Philly only had two, I can't imagine them building another one in this area. We can always dream, right?

Urban Pioneer
05-12-2010, 09:07 PM
I really enjoyed all of the speculating throughout the years.

Now we need something new to start speculation and rumors. What should it be?

Nordstrom

metro
05-13-2010, 08:07 AM
could they put a whole foods wine and beer store in a separate bldg right next to it to skirt the archaic liquor laws?

Can we give the "archaic liquor laws" diatribe a rest? We've hashed it out a million times already.

Cash will go further in an emergency (think 2-3 day power outage) than a piece of plastic. Not to try and change the subject or anything.

Yeah, better yet we should all carry some gold coins around, after all gold is a greattt investment, considering it hasn't been used for currency since the Roman Empire.

Debit cards are murky waters, not all the Visa/MC rules apply to debit cards.

Explain why it's murky waters? They have the same protections as a CC, but they don't have the fees, etc. since you're directly debiting the money from your bank account.

never been to a whole foods, but 29,000 sq ft difference between okc and parklane is huge. is the wine and beer section that big? cant be...

I've been to numerous WF, including the ParkLane store, it is exceptionally large, and has a large beer/wine selection ,etc. It is also 2 stories, although no products are on the lower floor, it's just escalators (people and cart) that go to the parking garage, but I wonder the part that is actually theirs is included in the space. I'm guessing it is, as well they have 2 cafe areas, which we would be okay with just one cafe area.

I lived in Philadelphia for years and they had 2 Whole Foods and it wasn't nearly enough to handle the demand. Maybe they like it that way but if Philly only had two, I can't imagine them building another one in this area. We can always dream, right?

Philly is one AWESOME city. Just because they only have 2 stores, don't give your hopes up, many similar sized and smaller cities have more than 2 stores, (Denver, Nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, Connecticut, Albuquerque, Sante Fe, and on and on.)

warreng88
05-13-2010, 08:18 AM
For comparison, the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market on 23rd Street between Villa and Penn is right at 40,000 square feet. Whole Foods will be 35,000.

metro
05-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Bummer considering I shop there somewhat frequently and feel that store is small, although WF is much better at using their space IMO, however the Tulsa store is decent sized and knowing ours will be bigger is slightly comforting, although just having a WF period is a big gift to us. It sounds like it is already beginning to raise the bar of a couple local grocers.

diesel
05-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Bummer considering I shop there somewhat frequently and feel that store is small, although WF is much better at using their space IMO, however the Tulsa store is decent sized and knowing ours will be bigger is slightly comforting, although just having a WF period is a big gift to us. It sounds like it is already beginning to raise the bar of a couple local grocers.

I would be alot happier with one the size of Park Lane but then again, 35,000 is better than nothing.. Maybe we can provide enough business to them that they would want to open up other locations in the city..

JerzeeGrlinOKC
05-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Just remember that there are many in the suburban areas (check out Ardmore, Jekintown, Marlton (NJ), Devon, Lansdale). Philly proper is very small compared to OKC (Philly is only 135 square miles compared to 600 square miles for OKC). Although given the population of Philly + environs you may have a point. But there is also more competition for the market - Trader Joe's, many other upscale grocery stores (the standard for grocery stores out east is much higher than out here, the "regular" groceries are comparable to the Homeland on May and Britton).

I guess we'll just have to take it one store at a time ;-).

Richard at Remax
05-13-2010, 09:24 AM
unreal. you guys finally get what you want and it's not big enough. Go figure :doh:

metro
05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
You read too much into it worthycook, you failed to mention the part where I said
although just having a WF period is a big gift to us. Just to clarify in case anyone reads too much into my quote (unless you were referring to someone else), I am STOKED just to have a WF period, even if it was the smallest in the nation.

diesel
05-13-2010, 09:51 AM
You read too much into it worthycook, you failed to mention the part where I said Just to clarify in case anyone reads too much into my quote (unless you were referring to someone else), I am STOKED just to have a WF period, even if it was the smallest in the nation.

Ohh yeah I am stoked as well.. Too bad it will be another year and a few months before opening but will be well worth the wait..

okclee
05-13-2010, 09:58 AM
We should all email Trader Joe's and make sure they got the memo WF's is coming to Okc.

Maybe it could lead to Okc getting another new organic grocer somewhere else in the metro.

http://www.traderjoes.com/about/location-requests-form.asp

Richard at Remax
05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
didn't refer to anyone specifically. just the overall tone I was getting from the thread.

okclee
05-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I believe that WF's is trying to open smaller stores in the future. They believe smaller is better for long term "sustainability".

I have seen studies showing that bigger is better at first, but after ten years the smaller stores maintain while larger stores tend to under perform.

metro
05-13-2010, 11:25 AM
They just put a WF sign up on the corner of Grand and Classen. I will get pics/video today!

okclee
05-13-2010, 11:46 AM
What are the thoughts on this quote from Mr. McClendon?

“The addition of a Whole Foods Market to the Classen, Western, Grand and N.W. 63rd Street district contiguous to our corporate headquarters campus signifies a major step forward in our vision to create the most vibrant and dynamic urban environment for our employees and neighbors to live, work and play in Oklahoma."

I have seen him mention before about making the Chesapeake campus an "Urban environment."

metro
05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Fixing to upload the video to my video thread if you want to get perspective of the entire site, here are a few stills.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/VID00001.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/VID00002.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/VID00003.jpg

BDP
05-13-2010, 03:46 PM
The addition of a Whole Foods Market to the Classen, Western, Grand and N.W. 63rd Street district contiguous to our corporate headquarters campus signifies a major step forward in our vision to create the most vibrant and dynamic urban environment for our employees and neighbors to live, work and play in Oklahoma.

Urban?

Anyway, I think 35,000 sf is a good size for it. I'm not a big fan of big grocery stores anyway and maybe it will force them to make some choices that our local businesses can fill and stay in business by complimenting rather than competing with Whole Foods. Besides, it will make their sales per square foot look good, which I think will help Chesapeake market Classen Curve.

okclee
05-13-2010, 03:54 PM
McClendon has used the word "urban" to describe his campus more and more frequently.

It actually makes me think about the plans he has for this area. If he were to build an apartment tower or a hotel tower or both, if only we knew.

MikeOKC
05-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Urban?

Anyway, I think 35,000 sf is a good size for it. I'm not a big fan of big grocery stores anyway and maybe it will force them to make some choices that our local businesses can fill and stay in business by complimenting rather than competing with Whole Foods. Besides, it will make their sales per square foot look good, which I think will help Chesapeake market Classen Curve.

Things like the quote above make me think: Live, Work, Play, mixed-use center ala The Shops at Legacy in Plano.

Head
05-13-2010, 05:03 PM
I've only seen the Austin store. It is absolutely amazing (to a foodie)!
Aparrently, that's the flagship store.
I don't expect our store to be as big or elaborate, but it's going to be a Whole Foods!!!
YAY!!!

On a side note, I'm almost as glad that the speculation is over.

Spartan
05-13-2010, 05:05 PM
It is really interesting how Legacy in Plano has some really impressive corporate clients, but here Chesapeake is doing it without anyone else just for themselves--granted, moving at a slower pace. It makes you wonder how large-scale the development that Whole Foods is a part of will be in the end.

I will say this, that I hope Rand doesn't design it lol. I doubt he will considering WF typically uses its own design services...but I wish they would somehow incorporate the dormers of the Chesapeake campus, which in my opinion, is an architectural masterpiece as far as corporate campuses go. I especially love how they're mixing in Rand's ultra-modern designs such as Building One, the parking garages along Classen, and the new office bldg u/c in front of 63rd--with the traditional Georgian architecture with prominent dormer windows lining the pediment. I love both, it's an interesting clash, and I think they clash well..they have a strong dialogue with eachother that conveys a sense of power AND open-mindedness.

lasomeday
05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
That area has more corporate headquarters then you think, JMA and Midfirst are in the neighborhood. I am sure there are more but those are two big companies that will benefit from all that Chesapeake is doing.

Spartan
05-13-2010, 08:09 PM
This is true. Would be cool if MidFirst decided they wanted to be a part of the development of the neighborhood.

bluedogok
05-13-2010, 08:20 PM
I believe that WF's is trying to open smaller stores in the future. They believe smaller is better for long term "sustainability".

I have seen studies showing that bigger is better at first, but after ten years the smaller stores maintain while larger stores tend to under perform.
They were trending bigger until the economic downtown, I think when/if The Domain store fires back up it will probably be smaller than the 70,000sf that was originally proposed.

I will say this, that I hope Rand doesn't design it lol. I doubt he will considering WF typically uses its own design services...but I wish they would somehow incorporate the dormers of the Chesapeake campus, which in my opinion, is an architectural masterpiece as far as corporate campuses go. I especially love how they're mixing in Rand's ultra-modern designs such as Building One, the parking garages along Classen, and the new office bldg u/c in front of 63rd--with the traditional Georgian architecture with prominent dormer windows lining the pediment. I love both, it's an interesting clash, and I think they clash well..they have a strong dialogue with eachother that conveys a sense of power AND open-mindedness.
I interviewed with the firm that does most of the Whole Foods stores when I first moved to Austin, they are still doing stores for WF but have had a name change.

Stone Soup 6 Architecture (http://www.stonesoup6.com/)

metro
05-14-2010, 08:00 AM
That area has more corporate headquarters then you think, JMA and Midfirst are in the neighborhood. I am sure there are more but those are two big companies that will benefit from all that Chesapeake is doing.

What is JMA?

kevinpate
05-14-2010, 08:04 AM
What is JMA?

I'm presuming the reference is to JMA Energy HOME - JMA Energy Company (http://www.jmaenergy.com)

metro
05-14-2010, 08:36 AM
How many employees does JMA have? They say they aren't hiring on their website, so they must not be in a growth mode.

ThePlainsman
05-14-2010, 09:38 AM
How many employees does JMA have? They say they aren't hiring on their website, so they must not be in a growth mode.

A little birdy says 48, so we'll say just under 50. ;)

metro
05-14-2010, 09:54 AM
I was going to guess 50, so that sounds believeable. Not sure I'd refer them as big corporate headquarters. There are companies HQ in the Village with more employees.

BDP
05-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Things like the quote above make me think: Live, Work, Play, mixed-use center ala The Shops at Legacy in Plano.

It kinda makes me think Aubrey has never seen an urban development. I guess it could happen, but it's not really headed that way and unless the campus itself became some sort of real mixed use with public access, I have no idea how he thinks they can do it. You can't really have a sprawling private campus and expect to accomplish an urban environment. There is a big difference between looking urban and actually having a dense mix of services with a pedestrian focus. I'd say it's a stretch to even call Classen Curve "urban".

And, just to be clear, I am not trying to make a qualitative judgment on the Chesapeake district. It's just not urban and isn't really even close.

soonerguru
05-14-2010, 02:26 PM
It kinda makes me think Aubrey has never seen an urban development. I guess it could happen, but it's not really headed that way and unless the campus itself became some sort of real mixed use with public access, I have no idea how he thinks they can do it. You can't really have a sprawling private campus and expect to accomplish an urban environment. There is a big difference between looking urban and actually having a dense mix of services with a pedestrian focus. I'd say it's a stretch to even call Classen Curve "urban".

And, just to be clear, I am not trying to make a qualitative judgment on the Chesapeake district. It's just not urban and isn't really even close.

I agree. And I don't find Classen Curve to be exactly pedestrian oriented. It fits right into our pastiche of motor car strip centers.

OKCHerbivore
05-15-2010, 12:24 PM
though this might draw the thread away from Whole Foods in particular, I live about 2 blocks from where the Whole Foods site is going to be (and i am vastly excited for it to open!), and my wife and dog and i get to watch the CHK campus grow each week.

While I initially bemoaned moving out to the area (from Jefferson Park) because of how far out it was (my wife is doing her masters in Edmond, so it was a compromise), and how non-urban it seems. For sure, it is not a particularly gridded or even urban area, however, i notice the value in urban districts tends to be not from the physical space only, but because it lends itself to good neighborhoods with dense services and easy navigation on foot.

That being said, with Forward Foods and Whole Foods where they are, in addition to CCurve, we can walk far more places for daily/special services and goods than we could even in Jeff. Park, which I loved.

Within walking: fast food (sonic, camille's), good food: (Flip's, 105 Degrees (i'm a vegetarian, so this is surprisingly convenient), Republic, et al CC spots), 2 grocers (FF, WF forthcoming), Wine Shop (Vintage), Pet Store (Central Park), Bars/"Pubs" (Flips, Republic), Farmer's Market, running track, running store (Red Coyote), places to walk our dog that are somewhat interesting (CC), and even a longer stroll to shopping at Shoe Gypsy and coffee at Starbucks.

So, while I remain committed to getting back to downtownish digs, I stand humbled at the walkability of my area, and as CC grows and fills in, who knows, we might have a satellite urban area on our hands.

I do agree that CHK's campus is a suburban one, and much more infill is needed in the area, as well as ways to incentivize walking within the area, and not driving from CHK to CC, to Nichols Hills Plaza, etc. They are putting in more sidewalks, which is a much delayed step to help tie the area together, but we still need to develop density and connection so that folks can make several walks from one parking place. Perhaps WF can be that one parking place, and they can earn even more sustainablity points by encouraging walking in such a difficult city as ours, even in the last holdout of urbanity before the swath of wealth that is Nichols Hills.

Spartan
05-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Within walking: fast food (sonic, camille's), good food: (Flip's, 105 Degrees (i'm a vegetarian, so this is surprisingly convenient), Republic, et al CC spots), 2 grocers (FF, WF forthcoming), Wine Shop (Vintage), Pet Store (Central Park), Bars/"Pubs" (Flips, Republic), Farmer's Market, running track, running store (Red Coyote), places to walk our dog that are somewhat interesting (CC), and even a longer stroll to shopping at Shoe Gypsy and coffee at Starbucks.

Imagine the potential of turning this into a truly walkable area that does have all of these things within reasonable pedestrian access. All it would take are some pedestrian-oriented capital improvements in the area. Is there even a sidewalk yet along Classen in front of the Classen Curve development?

My problem with Aubrey's vision so far: How can someone even call the area walkable and urban (yet) when there's not even a damn sidewalk.

progressiveboy
05-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Imagine the potential of turning this into a truly walkable area that does have all of these things within reasonable pedestrian access. All it would take are some pedestrian-oriented capital improvements in the area. Is there even a sidewalk yet along Classen in front of the Classen Curve development?

My problem with Aubrey's vision so far: How can someone even call the area walkable and urban (yet) when there's not even a damn sidewalk. If you look at the above post from yours it states that sidewalks and improvements are being made! So the answer to your question is "Yes".

Spartan
05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Just had dinner at Hideaway on Western and saw the new sidewalk running all the way along Classen Curve, but NOT along the other side of Classen Blvd (which would be nice to see, connecting pedestrians to the cemetery). At Grand and 63rd they're installing some decorative crosswalks and a new sidewalk was installed along Grand. It looks like they ARE beginning to make pedestrian connections all throughout the area.

rcjunkie
05-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Just had dinner at Hideaway on Western and saw the new sidewalk running all the way along Classen Curve, but NOT along the other side of Classen Blvd (which would be nice to see, connecting pedestrians to the cemetery). At Grand and 63rd they're installing some decorative crosswalks and a new sidewalk was installed along Grand. It looks like they ARE beginning to make pedestrian connections all throughout the area.

It's not just in this area, new trails/sidewalks are going in all over the City.

HOT ROD
05-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I think people are going too crazy about the store size.

This store will be of urban design, most likely will have multiple floors (considering the site is a rather small footprint), and ALSO you have to figure there will may not be as much parking included - since it will be at a major employment campus AND be connected to other development which most likely would have 'campus' parking. .....

So, Subtract being over a parking garage and not having liquor (although it could be attached or next door), and you get the idea of what OKC could be getting. ...

People have said "I wish it were the size of this or that store", but those stores have parking garages included in the store's size. .... Maybe OKC's store will have just as much food 'floorspace' as the other big ones?

You would have to figure there would be at least two floors, 1 for ready made/classrooms/tasting/selling/cafe etc. space and the other floor for grocery sales. 35,000 divided by 2 = over 17,000 sq feet per floor. That's the size of Chase tower, Isnt it? Seems pretty big to me to have solely groceries and ready made foods/cafe.

redrunner
05-16-2010, 09:18 AM
I think people are going too crazy about the store size.

This store will be of urban design, most likely will have multiple floors (considering the site is a rather small footprint), and ALSO you have to figure there will may not be as much parking included - since it will be at a major employment campus AND be connected to other development which most likely would have 'campus' parking. .....

So, Subtract being over a parking garage and not having liquor (although it could be attached or next door), and you get the idea of what OKC could be getting. ...

People have said "I wish it were the size of this or that store", but those stores have parking garages included in the store's size. .... Maybe OKC's store will have just as much food 'floorspace' as the other big ones?

You would have to figure there would be at least two floors, 1 for ready made/classrooms/tasting/selling/cafe etc. space and the other floor for grocery sales. 35,000 divided by 2 = over 17,000 sq feet per floor. That's the size of Chase tower, Isnt it? Seems pretty big to me to have solely groceries and ready made foods/cafe.

Wow, you can't be serious. There are so many things wrong with what you just said. A 2 level Whole Foods with only 17k sf per floor? Have you seen the small footprint a Walmart neighborhood market takes up? And those are around 40k sf. The site is not small at all to accommodate the proposed Whole Foods.

semisimple
05-16-2010, 10:06 AM
People have said "I wish it were the size of this or that store", but those stores have parking garages included in the store's size.

Prove it.

HOT ROD
05-16-2010, 10:15 AM
you can look for yourself, I have confidence in you. ...

Rover
05-16-2010, 10:43 AM
I can't believe people on here are arguing about things they yet don't know but are merely speculating.

The size of the store is less material than the support it receives, at any size. For this city, for this development site, WF and Chesapeake have decided for long term success this is the correct size. So be it.

As for Chesapeake's "urbanization" plans, they are being criticized without one single piece of evidence as to what the totality of the plans are. To underestimate Aubrey is wrong. To say he doesn't know what an urban center is or that he lacks vision is wrong. He is widely traveled and has access to some great architectural and planning minds and is heavily invested in making the area a success.

Maybe the reason they have been so secretive about their plans so far has been because everone and their dog loves to second guess and criticize and get in the way without offering capital or risk or any other skin in the game. At least Chesapeake is willing to do something to make the area better than just let it deteriorate slowly like previous owners in the area have been satisfied to do.

These discussions are fine, but sometime I would like to see others who think they know better to actually get in the game and prove their ideas are better. Right now Chesapeake, Devon and SandRidge are the ones willing to invest and try to make something happen on a significant scale.

semisimple
05-16-2010, 11:25 AM
you can look for yourself, I have confidence in you. ...

That information doesn't exist because it's simply not true. Once again, you've spewed utter BS in the name of OKC boosterism. (Not to mention the rest of your post was equally ridiculous--2 stories for a 35k square foot grocery store?!) Face it: OKC really is going to get a watered-down version of the WF stores that exist in Dallas and Austin.

Oil Capital
05-16-2010, 12:05 PM
That information doesn't exist because it's simply not true. Once again, you've spewed utter BS in the name of OKC boosterism. (Not to mention the rest of your post was equally ridiculous--2 stories for a 35k square foot grocery store?!) Face it: OKC really is going to get a watered-down version of the WF stores that exist in Dallas and Austin.

Before this turns into a whole thread of posts agonizing over the possibility that we're getting a "smaller" store because the folks at Whole Foods don't respect OKC, let it be noted that Whole Foods is not developing those ginormous stores any more. They have down-sized their plans for a whole bunch of their stores in development and 35,000 square foot stores is pretty much what they are building these days. (One suspects that the ginormous stores have not been all THAT successful...)

soonerguru
05-16-2010, 12:10 PM
This store is going to be awesome. It's not a "small" store. The "small" store in Tulsa is very nice. It's going to be bigger than that. I'm pumped.

HOT ROD
05-16-2010, 12:10 PM
where's your proof that OKC is getting a watered down WF, Semi?

Oh that's right, pure BS and speculation in the name of what? Anti-OKC boosterism?.

Give me a break.......

Rover
05-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Let's put a stop to all this size nonsense. I know there are those who just want to position OKC badly and want to present everything in the most negative way. They don't want facts to get in the way.

According to Whole Foods' corporate financials:

Average Size

Stores over eight years old 27,100
Stores between five and eight years old 30,500
Stores between two and five years old 36,000
Stores less than two years old (including relocations) 36,400
All stores in comparable store base 31,200
All stores open at the end of the first quarter 31,300

So, apparently this is right at the footprint they choose. Some are bigger, some are smaller but obviously 35,000 ft is right in their sweet spot. My guess is that they increased size over the last 5 years as a result of their acquisitions.

I trust they are building the size that gives them the best opportunity to maximize their investment and is scaled for the actual site. Just a good business decision.

So can we just stop the childish "mine is bigger than yours".

Or MAYBE they want to build TWO at 35,000 ft in OKC area rather than ONE 45,000. Yeah, I bet that is it. One in Norman/south OKC and one in north central OKC.

Architect2010
05-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Just because a new Whole Foods is opened at 35,000 sq. ft. versus the large flagship store in Austin, it doesn't mean it's "watered down". Any argument that has such a stance is flawed. Especially since Austin and Dallas's Whole Foods Stores are an exception in size. Most Whole Foods are not as huge. So rather than our store being "watered-down", it seems that ours is more in-line with the average and Austin's and Dallas's are not.

Also, Whole Foods is in the process of slimming down stores. You can read the advantages that smaller stores have for Whole Foods and how they perform better than those super stores. Whole Foods Slims Down Stores So They'll Age Better (http://industry.bnet.com/retail/10005061/whole-foods-slims-down-stores-so-theyll-age-better/)

In fact. The Whole Foods Brand is actually targeting stores under 40,000 square feet as the future format. Whole Foods Warns of Layoffs and Smaller Stores (http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2008/12/09/whole_foods_warns_of_layoffs_a) "We are looking at sites that are under 40,000 square feet as a format for our stores as we go forward,” says Vicki Foley, a Whole Foods regional spokeswoman. “That is not just our region—that’s for the whole county.” While 40,000 square feet is still large, it marks a departure from competing with the Safeway and QFC mega-markets."

bluedogok
05-16-2010, 03:32 PM
The Downtown Austin store is under the HQ tower, it also contains a cooking school but the main reason for its size is the use of the store as the main market test location for new products and services, the Dallas store was done when they were thinking more of the megastore concept. The proposed store for The Domain was to be around 70,000 sf up from the existing 31,000 at the current North Austin (Gateway) location, that relocation has been on an indefinite hold and what I have head is they are looking at around 40,000 sf for a the new configuration if/when the developer starts on the next phase at that end of The Domain.

The only megastores they are building right now were planned well before the market downturn because in some jurisdictions it can take a few years to get through the development process and that would mean they are just completing those stores now. It was a year or two after the Downtown Austin store opened that they decided to try the megastore concept and typically only in the largest markets. Comparing a location in an OKC/Tulsa to a large market like Dallas or the Austin HQ store is ridiculous, they are just different markets.

Spartan
05-16-2010, 08:33 PM
It's not just in this area, new trails/sidewalks are going in all over the City.

From the 2008 bond issue, yeah, but not from MAPS..that will probably be the last project. Is the bond issue paying for these new sidewalks though, or is it Chesapeake?

Larry OKC
05-16-2010, 09:42 PM
I would imagine as a new private development, that it is required by city code for the developer to put in sidewalks (but maybe City code doesn't require it).

IIRC, the sidewalks in MAPS 3 and presumably the ones covered by the 2007 bond issue are ones the city is putting in an City owned property (libraries, parks, gov buildings, schools etc)