View Full Version : I-40 Repaving...WTF?

bombermwc
01-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Ok is there anyone else here that is wondering what the crap ODOT is doing repaving I-40 right now? At first I thought it had something to do with what they were doing on the north side near May....but they never touched the road...just repaved. Now they're doing the eastbound road.

It goes from May, all the way up to basically the crosstown. We go 15 years without so much as a pot hole repair, and then in the last few years they've decided to do some actual work...right before it's all torn down. And this IS part of the road that is being torn out....not the part that is staying.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy finally having my car not fly all over the place between potholes...it's a MUCH improved ride. And granted, it is only a thin layer that wouldn't stand the test of time...so it's another patch job...but WHY NOW?!

Midtowner
01-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Why now? Because they've done the PR work to convince the public that the road has to move. Now that they've done that, they can fix it up.

BPD
01-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Ok is there anyone else here that is wondering what the crap ODOT is doing repaving I-40 right now? At first I thought it had something to do with what they were doing on the north side near May....but they never touched the road...just repaved. Now they're doing the eastbound road.

It goes from May, all the way up to basically the crosstown. We go 15 years without so much as a pot hole repair, and then in the last few years they've decided to do some actual work...right before it's all torn down. And this IS part of the road that is being torn out....not the part that is staying.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy finally having my car not fly all over the place between potholes...it's a MUCH improved ride. And granted, it is only a thin layer that wouldn't stand the test of time...so it's another patch job...but WHY NOW?!

Why now? Because it will be in use for another three to four years. The new highway isn't supposed to be ready for use until 2012. You alluded to the answer in your question when you stated that the new layer won't stand the test of time. We really don't need to bang into potholes until 2012.

okcpulse
01-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Right, BDP. The resurface is actually just regular freeway maintenance. It's not a full-blown grade-drain-surface project. The same maintenance on this stretch of highway was done in 1998.

LordGerald
01-21-2009, 09:46 AM

It's a much-needed band-aid. It simply buys us more time in case OnTrac trys to stir it up again.

hipsterdoofus
01-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Wish they'd slap a "band-aid" on NW 164th between Western and Penn - if they made that road gravel it would be better than it is now.

metro
01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
That would only encourage more suburban sprawl out there! Fix up the neglected inner city!!!

hipsterdoofus
01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
That would only encourage more suburban sprawl out there! Fix up the neglected inner city!!!

Give me a freakin break...they built that road, there are citizens out there, they need to take care of it. The sprawl is already there, get over it.

OKCisOK4me
01-21-2009, 10:44 AM

I was wondering the same thing on Saturday when I was stuck in a traffic jam. But considering it's going to be 2012 before the new Crosstown opens up, I decided it's good that they're repaving that part of current I-40 cause it was torn up pretty bad.

Jon27
01-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Wish they'd slap a "band-aid" on NW 164th between Western and Penn - if they made that road gravel it would be better than it is now.

What does this have to do with I-40? Czech Hall in Mustang/OKC/Yukon is wayyyy worse than NW 164th.

hipsterdoofus
01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
What does this have to do with I-40? Czech Hall in Mustang/OKC/Yukon is wayyyy worse than NW 164th.

Doesn't have anything to do with I-40 - also...that mile of 164th couldn't be much worse and be called a road. Where you are talking about may be just as bad, but I doubt its any worse.

Spartan
01-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Czech Hall Road is wayyyy worse than NW 164th.

S. Western between 149th and 164th. That road is stressful. Once I'm in Norman and the road is smoother I can finally relax and know that a bump isn't going to flip me into the drainage ditch. I think whoever OKC's public works director is needs to be shot. Or at least needs to be half-covered in a nice layer of asphalt, just like only half of the lane is covered by new asphalt and half is old, like a patchwork quilt, of old and new sections of asphalt. I honestly believe that every time they "fix" a road they just make it worse.

S. Bryant and S. Eastern are also famously bad in between I-240 and Moore.

Basically here's the model: [insert name of road you live off] is by far the worst road in the metro.

Saberman
01-22-2009, 01:48 AM
It was my understanding that they will keep the old I-40 from Agnew to about Western where the Crosstown bridge begins, then it will turn into the new blvd. So it would make sense to keep up that part of the hwy. I may be wrong.

PennyQuilts
01-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Am I the only one who has read this thread and been tickled at the way your responses have been written? Fun posts - thanks!!

danielf1935
01-22-2009, 07:08 AM
RE: South Western between 149th and 164th, this area is scheduled to be rebuilt from SW 139th to Indian Hills, will be 4 lanes with turn lanes at intersections. With that said, I'm glad to see the city just doing emergency patch work and saving dollors for other locations.

LordGerald
01-22-2009, 07:29 AM
It was my understanding that they will keep the old I-40 from Agnew to about Western where the Crosstown bridge begins, then it will turn into the new blvd. So it would make sense to keep up that part of the hwy. I may be wrong.

Correct. The "new" I-40 Crosstown will converge with the old I-40 just west of Agnew.

AAC2005
01-22-2009, 09:45 AM
RE: South Western between 149th and 164th, this area is scheduled to be rebuilt from SW 139th to Indian Hills, will be 4 lanes with turn lanes at intersections.

:congrats:
Will it be done before my granddaughter is old enough to drive? (She turns two in May)

danielf1935
01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
It should be, they say 3 years (which in goverment work, means 7)

BDP
01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
The sprawl is already there, get over it.

I think people will "get over it" when we stop paying for it. It's not that hard to understand that so many of our city roads are neglected and in disrepair because there's just too many of them given our population and, in turn, our tax base. Our infrastructure resources are clearly spread way too thin. This thread is a testament to that.

bretthexum
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I think people will "get over it" when we stop paying for it. It's not that hard to understand that so many of our city roads are neglected and in disrepair because there's just too many of them given our population and, in turn, our tax base. Our infrastructure resources are clearly spread way too thin. This thread is a testament to that.

Right, and all of NW OKC and Edmond are going to relocate closer to the city?

rondvu
01-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Fear not all, with Obama's programs to aid our ailing infrastructure and jump start the economy I am sure will be driving on the finest highways and byways in the world.

:Smiley199

CuatrodeMayo
01-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Again, I will point out that this is a terrible idea and I still don't see it on any drawings.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/15299-new-boulevard-question.html

zrfdude
01-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Again, I will point out that this is a terrible idea and I still don't see it on any drawings.

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/15299-new-boulevard-question.html

http://www.okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/core_to_shore_full_size_map.jpg

CuatrodeMayo
01-29-2009, 07:56 AM
I guess...