View Full Version : Molly Murphy's coming to Bricktown?

okclee
01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Molly Murphy's Website of Fine Repute (http://www.mollymurphys.com/)

Will we ever see a Bricktown Molly Murphy's ??

All of the discussion about America's Pub, and people wanting something more unique to Bricktown, got me to thinking about earlier threads about Molly Murphy's.

Matt
01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
I think that thread title needs a question mark.

okclee
01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
You are right it does need a question mark. If the mods could please fix that for me.

OKCitizen
01-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Ahh. Molly Murphy's! Great memories of that place. I recall making the mistake of asking my server (a guy dressed like a pirate) where the bathroom was located. Wow, talk about embarrassing as I was paraded to the bathroom with taunts and cheers. LOL! As for the bathroom ... well, the wallpaper was something any man would appreciate.

Yes, bring back Molly Murphy's and don't change a thing!

okclee
01-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Bricktown is the perfect location for the Molly Murphy's rebirth. Their website has a poll question in regards to a new Molly Murphy's, there are quite a few votes already.

Place them right on the canal level where the water taxi's can go by and I could see the waiters / entertainers outside interacting with the people passing by. If done right there would be a seating reservation list for months in advance. Not to mention giving Bricktown that one of a kind type of place that keeps people coming back for more.

CuatrodeMayo
01-21-2009, 11:31 AM
I like the idea, but I fear folks are too thin-skinned nowadays and would be highly offended at some the shenanigans pulled there.

okclee
01-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Aren't the dueling piano places a little on the same kind of entertainment? I have been to one before and the pianist's were all into pulling people out of the crowd and humiliating them. It still works if done right, just like it worked at Molly Murphy's.

I would also like to see the new Bricktown version of MM's have a large bar with the bartenders getting in on the act too. Even people sitting at the bar would be fair game.

AFCM
01-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Molly Murphy's would make a killing in Bricktown, especially with the NBA fever catapulting business even further in the district. Molly Murphy's is distinctly OKC and I really hope they reopen somewhere on the canal. I know they would have no problem attracting investors and seeing a poll on the MM website gives me hope that such a thing is being considered.

bluedogok
01-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Molly Murphy's is distinctly OKC...
Not really, it was another Bob Tayer copy of concept that others developed, like most of his restaurants were. It was a copy of The Magic Time Machine (http://magictimemachine.com/) that still has locations in Dallas and San Antonio, the Austin location was closed about the time that I moved down here. I used to work with the architect in OKC who did most of the Tayer restaurants and he said they made many trips down here to get the concept copied.

I do think something similar would probably work in Bricktown.

AFCM
01-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Not really, it was another Bob Tayer copy of concept that others developed, like most of his restaurants were. It was a copy of The Magic Time Machine (http://magictimemachine.com/) that still has locations in Dallas and San Antonio, the Austin location was closed about the time that I moved down here. I used to work with the architect in OKC who did most of the Tayer restaurants and he said they made many trips down here to get the concept copied.

I do think something similar would probably work in Bricktown.

I understand the concept and even design may be similar to others in different cities, but Molly Murphy's was Oklahoma City-based and existed only within the borders of the Sooner State. By "distinctly OKC", I'm referring to a business that is synonymous with Oklahoma City, unlike the chain establishments we typically see in Bricktown.

I apologize for any misconceptions. Due to its likelihood of being inferred in many ways, "distinctly OKC" may have been a poor choice of words on my behalf.

bluedogok
01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I agree that the "name" was distinctly OKC. It's just that most restaurant concepts are a copy of something somewhere else and back then we may not have been exposed to them elsewhere like we can be now. I have known people who even in recent years thought it was a concept that originated in OKC and admit that back then I did as well since I had never seen the others in Dallas, Austin or San Antonio. It wasn't until the former co-worker and I were discussing "clients" that he told me about those projects that he did for Tayer. He had some interesting stories about him as a client.

jbrown84
01-23-2009, 10:30 AM
What else did Tayer have?

bluedogok
01-23-2009, 11:00 AM
One was TaMolly's Mexican Food, now the Johnnie's on NW Expressway. It had a clay tile roof at one point, the roofer repossessed it after Tayer didn't pay him.

jbrown84
01-23-2009, 01:53 PM
And what was that a ripoff of?

Jesseda
01-23-2009, 02:24 PM
so is molly murphys thinking of opening up again?

bluedogok
01-23-2009, 04:46 PM
And what was that a ripoff of?
It was just a mix of different Dallas Tex-Mex places, not any one particular place. I've been trying to remember some of the others but I keep thinking of Val Gene places.

rondvu
01-23-2009, 08:15 PM
When I was training in Texas we would often go to the Pappas restaraunts. Not from Oklahoma, but very tasty and easy on the wallet. Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen - The Pappas Family (http://www.pappadeaux.com/pappasfamily.htm)

kevinpate
01-24-2009, 09:29 AM
I'd go to MM's if the concept reappeared here. I used to make trips to Tulsa specifically for dinner at MM in Tulsa when I lived in SEOK. Fun, not expensive, it's own lil comedy dinner theater when you got right down to it,plus nice drive each way for ample visit time rather than sitting in near silence at a movie.

metro
01-26-2009, 09:20 AM
so is molly murphys thinking of opening up again?

Wishful thinking mainly from this board.