View Full Version : Why can't the city clean up I-40/Western?

metro
01-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Steve, STORY HINT!!!

With all the recent talk on here about the I-40 construction, it brings up a pet peeve of mine I notice frequently when driving by the I-40 and Classen/Western exits both getting on/off westbound and getting off eastbound. The area is a dump. It's always been embarrassing but it is now the main westbound exit into downtown since the ramp at Harvey is closed due to the Ford Center construction/ exit ramp rebuild. It makes me embarrassed as a citizen that so many of our visitors have to see this trashy entrance into/out of our revitalized downtown. I know many other cities are dirty, etc. but they also have a lot more to offer than we do too. We need to continually be putting our best foot forward for visitors. Getting on the I-40 /Western westbound ramp the other day, I saw a homeless man with his pants down taking a dump right by the on ramp, what a lovely impression to the several cars that were before/after me. I'm not knockin on the guys situation, but come on, where does it end? We've got to start putting beautification higher on the list at city hall. Trash everywhere, overgrown weeds, properties out of code, etc. MICK, please call downstairs to the action center and have them get out to these properties as well as have the lawn crews spruce the empty fields up please.

Midtowner
01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
We'll just tell all of those homeless folks not to poop anymore and things'll be great.

OKCTalker
01-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Each city has a primary shelter/kitchen that serves those who are less fortunate, and I'd wager that they are universally in rundown areas. Chicken or egg, take your pick on which was there first, but that's not the point. Metro, aside from picking up trash, what can the City do to "clean up" this area? Further, if you're allocating finite and limited trash collection resources towards I-40 & Western, they have to be pulled from other neighborhoods, and those residents are sure to call their City Council member to complain about fewer crews/more trash.

metro
01-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't think it's chicken and egg necessarily. The city can pick up trash, mow/weedeat on a regular basis (not the normal 2-3 times a year), even some light planting/landscaping would be much welcomed, clean up graffitti, property inspectors could actually enforce property codes around there, better/more lighting, etc. With all the emphasis and money they are probably already spending to recruit major events to the city, and doing things in prep for the Big 12 tournament, you'd think they can throw a little resources for this major downtown/interstate intersection to welcome guests in/out of our downtown.

sgray
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I agree. That area is a complete dump and it ain't the homeless folks either, IMO. It's amazing how the city maintains some areas down to the little details and then some places they will let the grass grow so high you could park a car in it and no one would know.

One would think that the core essentials like grounds upkeep would be figured into our taxes regardless...but apparently not.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like sometimes the city leaves things, banking on volunteers to take care of it.

okclee
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Code enforcement and updating the codes to include a more stringent upkeep of properties. The city could actually make money from property owners that are lazy in the upkeep of their properties, the money made from such code enforcement could in turn pay for upkeep of city owned property.

Another idea for the area of discussion is use county prisoners for the cleanup, especially since the county jail is only blocks from this area.

I really would like to see the city get serious about code enforcement.

progressiveboy
01-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Metro made a good point about out of town visitors coming to town and having to drive through that area. Does OKC wish to have a "image" and "perception" of a clean, dynamic city or does it want to have a complacent attitiude and just ignore it? The bottom line is this. Does OKC leaders and residents want a clean, aesthetically appealing city? "Image" is everything for a city and if visitors who come to our city see the unkempt, dirty image of the city then they will tell all their friends and families that OKC is not an appealing city. The future lies in "all" of the residents of OKC they either want a clean, dynamic city or they don't?

CuatrodeMayo
01-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't care so much for having a "clean" city. Too Disneyworld-ish and Edmond-ish for me. That is part of the appeal of urban living--the grit of a city is it's character.

That being said, this area could use some TLC still.

rondvu
01-20-2009, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=okclee;194021]Code enforcement and updating the codes to include a more stringent upkeep of properties. The city could actually make money from property owners that are lazy in the upkeep of their properties, the money made from such code enforcement could in turn pay for upkeep of city owned property.

Another idea for the area of discussion is use county prisoners for the cleanup, especially since the county jail is only blocks from this area.

I really would like to see the city get serious about code enforcement.[OKC has ALWAYS been reactive not proactive in code enforcement. This seems backwards to me.]

OKCisOK4me
01-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree with you Metro. Not just that but driving down Reno or Sheridan from downtown toward the west and seeing all the homeless people stacked up like AT&T bars (they're everywhere) is a sore sight for eyes.

I'm honestly hoping that when the new boulevard is put in place that a lot of these properties, like the Jesus House, will be taken care of--like being provided a new AWAY FROM DOWNTOWN OR CORE TO SHORE home for the homeless--and other future, more aesthetically pleasing, developments will take their place.

With Bricktown on the east side of CBD, I think in the future with all of the central park development south of CBD that property owners to the west of said central park will want to fashion the west side of our downtown with businesses that will draw people toward and through our new downtown and not just drive through their area but eventually stop and check it out--which no one wants to do now, unless you want to give that homeless guy some TP.

hipsterdoofus
01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
I wonder if the problem is possibly that some of the land is owned by individuals, not the city, and they have no desire to keep it looking nice if its vacant...

Platemaker
01-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't care so much for having a "clean" city. Too Disneyworld-ish and Edmond-ish for me. That is part of the appeal of urban living--the grit of a city is it's character.

That being said, this area could use some TLC still.

I agree...

I take that exit into downtown every morning. When metro said 'dump' I thought "is it really THAT bad... have I just gotten so used to looking at it that I am numb".... so I took a second good look this morning...Although I don't think it is the most attractive area of the city it is absolutly NOT what I would consider a 'dump'. There is an old white house in disrepair on the west side of exit ramp right before Sheridan.. but that is the absolute WORST part of the whole area... it only one building. Homeless problem... sure... but there are far worse areas of the city... including downtown.

Calm it on down.

Prunepicker
01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Another idea for the area of discussion is use county prisoners for the cleanup,
especially since the county jail is only blocks from this area.

We could learn a lot from Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Use the prisoners for cleaning up the
messes around town and dress them in pink.

danielf1935
01-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Hipsterdoofus hit the nail on the head, from what I've read in this thread, all of the areas/locations discussed are on private or "STATE" property and not "CITY property. The "CITY" has enough work to do/pay for, they can't afford to do what the "STATE" and "PRIVATE PROPERTY OWNERS" should do!!!!!!!.

If the "CITY" decided to punish/fine "PRIVATE PROPERTY OWNERS" for not maintaining their property, several on this thread would say the "CITY" is treating them unfairly.

okclee
01-21-2009, 12:36 PM
How is fining property owners for violating city ordinances treating them unfair?

progressiveboy
01-21-2009, 02:17 PM
How is fining property owners for violating city ordinances treating them unfair? I agree. That is why it is important to have ordinances and laws pertaining to upkeep on property. It comes down to responsibility for each property owner whether that is an individual or the "State". The city cannot afford to have "slumlords" who do not improve or keep property well maintained. Most important of all as I mentioned earlier, this does not help OKC with it's "image" or having a positive effect from out of town guests. It is time for the city to step up to the plate and get a little more aggressive on property owners who fail to take the personal responsibility to upkeep their property. The city has taken some strides in this but I believe they need to do more.

danielf1935
01-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I didn't say it was treating them unfairly, it's just when the city try's to enforce rules and regulations, the public often cries foul, feeling as though they are being treated unfairly.
Even if the city try's to clean up private/neglected property, it can take months, by law, they have to notify the property owner in writing, and then give them time to correct the problem.

metro
01-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree. That is why it is important to have ordinances and laws pertaining to upkeep on property. It comes down to responsibility for each property owner whether that is an individual or the "State". The city cannot afford to have "slumlords" who do not improve or keep property well maintained. Most important of all as I mentioned earlier, this does not help OKC with it's "image" or having a positive effect from out of town guests. It is time for the city to step up to the plate and get a little more aggressive on property owners who fail to take the personal responsibility to upkeep their property. The city has taken some strides in this but I believe they need to do more.

I agree, the City has allowed the State to be a slumlord on state owned property along highways. We're lucky if they mow regularly around the metro highways, grass well often going over the 12 inch city code.

metro
01-21-2009, 03:22 PM
I didn't say it was treating them unfairly, it's just when the city try's to enforce rules and regulations, the public often cries foul, feeling as though they are being treated unfairly.
Even if the city try's to clean up private/neglected property, it can take months, by law, they have to notify the property owner in writing, and then give them time to correct the problem.

usually years in this city, I've been filing complaints on one property for over two years and they still haven't done anything. there are MULTIPLE violations on this property too, and it's in the downtown area.

danielf1935
01-21-2009, 06:02 PM
metro--I retired from the City of OKC in March of 2006. Send me a message with the address, I may be able to help.