View Full Version : The New I-40 (Construction Updates)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33

Bellaboo
09-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Laying bets on the table, that they will have both ends off the temporary routes and opened up on the new connections by the first week of November.....

They have been making great progress lately.

jn1780
09-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Laying bets on the table, that they will have both ends off the temporary routes and opened up on the new connections by the first week of November.....

They have been making great progress lately.

Since you said early November, I will say mid October even though that may be pushing it. Should have the I-235/I-35 on-ramps on their permanent alignments by October since those eastbound boulevard bridge piers are just about done now.

You would think they would have finished up things on the eastbound side like removing the concrete barriers, repainting the lines, finishing touches on the I-235 ramps, and the last remaining sign standards that show the I-235 on ramps up ahead.

Bellaboo
09-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Since you said early November, I will say mid October even though that may be pushing it. Should have the I-235/I-35 on-ramps on their permanent alignments by October since those eastbound boulevard bridge piers are just about done now.

You would think they would have finished up things on the eastbound side like removing the concrete barriers, repainting the lines, finishing touches on the I-235 ramps, and the last remaining sign standards that show the I-235 on ramps up ahead.

I hope you win the bet, they've been putting down the roadbed on both ends lately at a good pace....I just think those bridge decks seem to take a while, that's why I picked November.

Bellaboo
10-16-2012, 07:30 AM
The permanent ramp from southbound I-235 to westbound I-40 opened sometime between last Thursday night and yesterday......still doing a little guard rail work but we're now on the new off ramp.

jedicurt
10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
northbound I-235 to westbound I-40 also opened during that time frame.

jn1780
10-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Noticed today that the unused concrete barrier over on the east end of alignment was finally being removed.

OKCisOK4me
10-27-2012, 01:32 PM
unused concrete barrier? please explain where its placement is/was. Thanks!

jn1780
10-27-2012, 02:00 PM
unused concrete barrier? please explain where its placement is/was. Thanks!

Unused portable concrete barriers on the eastbound side. Westbound was originally going to share the eastbound side, but the contractor on the east end was able to finish the final connection before I-40 opened.

When the barrier wall is removed, the lines will be repainted and the fifth lane will be opened. There's a lot of small things going eastbound that are still not done like sign standards indicating the I-235 ramps and longer lanes for these ramps. It is still somewhat of a bottleneck just not as bad as the westbound bottleneck.

catch22
10-27-2012, 02:20 PM
That bridge over the canal extension is already really bad looking. That dip is horrendous.

Bellaboo
10-27-2012, 09:25 PM
That bridge over the canal extension is already really bad looking. That dip is horrendous.

I drive that every day, and it was terrible until about 3 weeks ago, when they replaced a section all the way accross connecting to the bridge. It is not near as bad as it was, now there is a another bad dip where they connected with the old concrete just East of there about 100 yards.

SoonerBoy18
10-27-2012, 11:18 PM
When is the construction by the I-40/I-44 junction going to be complete?

ljbab728
10-27-2012, 11:40 PM

Someday.

jn1780
10-28-2012, 10:22 AM

Before the end of the year is a safe bet. They were pouring the deck for the bridge over Agnew yesterday.

HangryHippo
10-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I drive that every day, and it was terrible until about 3 weeks ago, when they replaced a section all the way accross connecting to the bridge. It is not near as bad as it was, now there is a another bad dip where they connected with the old concrete just East of there about 100 yards.

Yeah, it's absolutely incredible that parts of the new highway are already deteriorating around this area. Road construction is just a never-ending nightmare in this state.

jn1780
10-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, it's absolutely incredible that parts of the new highway are already deteriorating around this area. Road construction is just a never-ending nightmare in this state.

Not really deteriorating. The contractor just did a lousy job from the beginning.

kevinpate
10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
less than stellar road work is almost as common as getting the wrong order at a drive through window .. and for pretty much the same reason. Too many people wandering around burdened by a chronic GAD deficiency.

aka ... their give a damn be busted.

SSEiYah
10-29-2012, 09:41 AM
The whole crosstown needs a good grooving/grinding. It seems too rough, on my car with a "slightly" sporty suspension. they could probably grind out those dips too on the Eastbound end as well.

HangryHippo
10-29-2012, 09:52 AM
less than stellar road work is almost as common as getting the wrong order at a drive through window .. and for pretty much the same reason. Too many people wandering around burdened by a chronic GAD deficiency.

aka ... their give a damn be busted.

But I'm not sure that's the case in a lot of other states. At least the ones I visit, where when I drive on their newest roads, I don't notice cracks already emerging or new bridges having to be shut down for repairs to the NEW bridge, or parts of the road sinking or poor pavement quality. I know that our weather conditions here in Oklahoma put our roads through some serious hell, but I think we have some serious issues with the design and construction of roads in this state and which makes a money problem all the more acute when you have to repair what should be new roads.

Bellaboo
10-29-2012, 01:15 PM
But I'm not sure that's the case in a lot of other states. At least the ones I visit, where when I drive on their newest roads, I don't notice cracks already emerging or new bridges having to be shut down for repairs to the NEW bridge, or parts of the road sinking or poor pavement quality. I know that our weather conditions here in Oklahoma put our roads through some serious hell, but I think we have some serious issues with the design and construction of roads in this state and which makes a money problem all the more acute when you have to repair what should be new roads.

The new bridge where the water extension from the river will cross under was not the problem. It was built a year in advance of the East bound road bed. The approach to the bridge was not a smooth transition (basically lousy) to the bridge. They tore out about 15 feet of the new road approach and rebuilt it and it's now pretty smooth.

Also, they had 3 semi truck flat bed trailers on the EB connection removing the temporary concrete barrier walls this morning. Hopefully they'll have the inside lane opened by tomorrow.

okcpulse
10-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Lake Hefner Parkway
Northwest Expressway in Canadian County
Broadway Extension north of 63rd
I-35 south of I-240
I-44 in Tulsa from I-244 to the latest expansion

Those are examples of well built roads in OK

HangryHippo
10-30-2012, 08:39 AM
The new bridge where the water extension from the river will cross under was not the problem. It was built a year in advance of the East bound road bed. The approach to the bridge was not a smooth transition (basically lousy) to the bridge. They tore out about 15 feet of the new road approach and rebuilt it and it's now pretty smooth.

Also, they had 3 semi truck flat bed trailers on the EB connection removing the temporary concrete barrier walls this morning. Hopefully they'll have the inside lane opened by tomorrow.

The new bridge having to be closed that I was referencing was back when they were redoing I-35 and they had to close Shields to redo some of the work on that bridge that crossed the lanes of I-35 SB. Regarding your example, do you not find it as frustrating that it had to be redone in the first place?

HangryHippo
10-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Lake Hefner Parkway
Northwest Expressway in Canadian County
Broadway Extension north of 63rd
I-35 south of I-240
I-44 in Tulsa from I-244 to the latest expansion

Those are examples of well built roads in OK

Of course, this is just one man's opinion, but my point was not that there aren't well-built roads in OK, but that there seems to be a higher incidence of we designed something crappy, or built something crappy, or we've got to redo something new than in other locations I spend a great deal of time.

I understand that cost is a obviously a consideration, and that is only one of a whole host of issues I'm sure, but I think Oklahoma's DOT needs to prioritize certain areas and focus their efforts on designing and building better interchanges and fixing areas that need to be fixed and not expanding I-40 out to El Reno when the I-40/I-44 junction remains only two lanes or when we can't fix the nightmare that is the I-240/I-35 junction. ODOT needs to create better end results.

okcpulse
10-30-2012, 09:37 AM
I can agree with that. I will also add that roads are often built with a warranty, so if there is structural failure, it is on the contractor to fix the screw up. I have felt all along that higher priorities need to be places on I-44/I-235 and I-240/I-35.

Snowman
10-30-2012, 09:43 AM
... I understand that cost is a obviously a consideration, and that is only one of a whole host of issues I'm sure, but I think Oklahoma's DOT needs to prioritize certain areas and focus their efforts on designing and building better interchanges and fixing areas that need to be fixed and not expanding I-40 out to El Reno when the I-40/I-44 junction remains only two lanes or when we can't fix the nightmare that is the I-240/I-35 junction. ODOT needs to create better end results.

The issue with prioritization is it is hard to make a priority work for every state legislature's district. The people out in El Reno have state representatives too, who are not going to be happy waiting more than a decade or two to get any road improvements while multiple junctions that effect them little or none are upgraded and their roads are not.

HangryHippo
10-30-2012, 10:08 AM
The issue with prioritization is it is hard to make a priority work for every state legislature's district. The people out in El Reno have state representatives too, who are not going to be happy waiting more than a decade or two to get any road improvements while multiple junctions that effect them little or none are upgraded and their roads are not.

I absolutely understand this, but I do believe that population centers deserve more focus. I may be in the minority with that line of thinking, but it makes absolute sense to me to focus on your larger areas serving more people. That's obviously not the viewpoint of everyone though and things get tricky.

Snowman
10-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I absolutely understand this, but I do believe that population centers deserve more focus. I may be in the minority with that line of thinking, but it makes absolute sense to me to focus on your larger areas serving more people. That's obviously not the viewpoint of everyone though and things get tricky.

The cost of upgrading the i235/i44 and i240/i35 junctions is almost half of the entire budget for interstate and state highway work in the metro area over the next ten years, they clearly already have some priority now.

Bellaboo
10-30-2012, 10:52 AM
The new bridge having to be closed that I was referencing was back when they were redoing I-35 and they had to close Shields to redo some of the work on that bridge that crossed the lanes of I-35 SB. Regarding your example, do you not find it as frustrating that it had to be redone in the first place?

We are talking about different bridges here. I was referring to the bridge on the new I-40 where the canal extension is going under to the river.

Yes, they could have done it right the first time around, and I hope they had to fix it on their nickel. I personally don't like the tire noise or hum or whatever it was when it (the new I-40) first opened up, but as the road has had some traffic wear, it's not as bad as it was at first either. I was driving the EB route strictly in the left lane to not hear the noise, as it wasn't as bad in the inner lane.

Bellaboo
11-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Noticed they have put up the big pipe stantions for the new signs for the East end over the weekend.

ChaseDweller
11-05-2012, 10:34 AM
East end of Westbound no almost completely open. All jersey barriers down. I think the still have some restriping to do on the left hand lanes. 235 NB exit no longer an exit only lane. EB barriers are down mostly too. They just have to build the last bit of approach to the bridge from the leftmost lanes.

OKCRT
11-16-2012, 10:30 AM
East end of Westbound no almost completely open. All jersey barriers down. I think the still have some restriping to do on the left hand lanes. 235 NB exit no longer an exit only lane. EB barriers are down mostly too. They just have to build the last bit of approach to the bridge from the leftmost lanes.

Going westbound on 1-40 just before 1-44 where they have been working is very dangerous. Seen a gas tanker truck just about turn on it's side a wile ago trying to navigate that stretch. Everytime I drive that section I am putting my life in someone elses hands. I was almost side swiped by another truck last week. They need to get this finished soon. I drive this section all the time and it has to be the most unsafe area in OKC. They should be working 24-7 on this.

Oh,how many lanes are we gonna have on each side of I-40 when this is complete? Some of the lanes now just seen to vanish without warning.

OKCisOK4me
11-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Well, on one side you have three eastbound and three westbound, so transfer the westbound over to the westbound side once it's completed and you're looking at 12 lanes. To be certain though, 4-6 lanes at the ends and 10-12 lanes at the girth where the outside lanes turn into exit onlys.

Bellaboo
11-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Going westbound on 1-40 just before 1-44 where they have been working is very dangerous. Seen a gas tanker truck just about turn on it's side a wile ago trying to navigate that stretch. Everytime I drive that section I am putting my life in someone elses hands. I was almost side swiped by another truck last week. They need to get this finished soon. I drive this section all the time and it has to be the most unsafe area in OKC. They should be working 24-7 on this.Oh,how many lanes are we gonna have on each side of I-40 when this is complete? Some of the lanes now just seen to vanish without warning.

I completely agree, they've had excellent weather and the sooner the better. I did go through there after the Thunder game the other night and they had this stretch down to one lane actually working on it, now that was a backup.... I just knew there was a wreck. You would think they would move the lanes over asap. They don't need to finish the connecting ramps to the boulevard at this point. Just get it open for safety's sake.

jedicurt
11-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I completely agree, they've had excellent weather and the sooner the better. I did go through there after the Thunder game the other night and they had this stretch down to one lane actually working on it, now that was a backup.... I just knew there was a wreck. You would think they would move the lanes over asap. They don't need to finish the connecting ramps to the boulevard at this point. Just get it open for safety's sake.

they are still working on pouring the concrete sidewalls... and those are for safety's sake. it does seem like this end is taking forever, but i drive by every morning, and they are getting more and more done... it just takes time, sometimes.

OKCRT
11-16-2012, 02:48 PM
they are still working on pouring the concrete sidewalls... and those are for safety's sake. it does seem like this end is taking forever, but i drive by every morning, and they are getting more and more done... it just takes time, sometimes.

So we are gonna have all these lanes but still will have only 2 lanes on each side of I-40 where the bridge crosses I-44 correct? I am afraid there will always be a bottleneck on I-40 & I-44 both. And I hope they take the curves out of that stretch because that is what almost cause the tanker to flip earlier today. I just find it hard to believe that they would have it this way. I am telling you something big is gonna happen in that area soon if they don't get it straitened out.

BTW,I drive this area all the time and there have been many many times when no one was there working. And many more times when there was just a few there.They must not see this as a priority I guess.

jedicurt
11-16-2012, 03:10 PM
So we are gonna have all these lanes but still will have only 2 lanes on each side of I-40 where the bridge crosses I-44 correct? I am afraid there will always be a bottleneck on I-40 & I-44 both. And I hope they take the curves out of that stretch because that is what almost cause the tanker to flip earlier today. I just find it hard to believe that they would have it this way. I am telling you something big is gonna happen in that area soon if they don't get it straitened out.

BTW,I drive this area all the time and there have been many many times when no one was there working. And many more times when there was just a few there.They must not see this as a priority I guess.

It takes a while for concrete to dry... sometimes there is nothing to do but wait. And yes, it will drop down to the 2 lanes of I-40, presumably until this bridge is torn out and the whole interchange is redone, sometime in 2017 or 2018, i think

Snowman
11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
nm

OKCisOK4me
11-16-2012, 05:27 PM
And I hope they take the curves out of that stretch because that is what almost cause the tanker to flip earlier today. I just find it hard to believe that they would have it this way. I am telling you something big is gonna happen in that area soon if they don't get it straitened out.

The curves are there because the westbound lanes are currently on the eastbound sides. Most likely, you'll see an extended I-44 EAST lane exit only for lane 1, lanes 2 and 3 as thru lanes for I-40 WEST and lane 4 being an extended I-44 WEST exit only lane. Those curves will disappear when they transfer the lanes over to the side they're currently working on. I don't think it will be 4 lanes to start with though, cause they have to tear out that asphalt and pour in new concrete to wrap that part of the project up. My guess is that they will close that ramp to I-44 WEST so they can complete that part. Be prepared for anything.

Plutonic Panda
11-16-2012, 07:07 PM
It takes a while for concrete to dry... sometimes there is nothing to do but wait. And yes, it will drop down to the 2 lanes of I-40, presumably until this bridge is torn out and the whole interchange is redone, sometime in 2017 or 2018, i thinkWell, when they redo this, I hope the exits are all fly overs and go from right of the highway instead of the left side, so it doesn't disrupt "fast lane" traffic. It'd be awesome to a five-level interchange like the High-five. But, I doubt that will happen. :(

SSEiYah
11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I could have *sworn* I saw a 65mph sign (mounted sideways) on the eastbound side of I-40 near meridian, 1.5 miles before crosstown starts or so. Traffic was heavy so i did not have time to take a 2nd look.

Anyone know if 65 will be the speed limit? Seems everyone does 65 or higher anyway....

jn1780
11-20-2012, 06:46 PM
I could have *sworn* I saw a 65mph sign (mounted sideways) on the eastbound side of I-40 near meridian, 1.5 miles before crosstown starts or so. Traffic was heavy so i did not have time to take a 2nd look.

Anyone know if 65 will be the speed limit? Seems everyone does 65 or higher anyway....

At least 65, heard 70 at one point, but I doubt its going to be as high as 70.

jn1780
11-20-2012, 06:51 PM
I would say the westbound side is 95% done and should be open within two weeks. Saw them getting ready to pour the small concrete sections that connect old I-40 to the new alignment.

Snowman
11-20-2012, 07:19 PM
At least 65, heard 70 at one point, but I doubt its going to be as high as 70.

I think it was stated that it was designed so driving at 70 would be safe but it was planned the limit would be below that

Plutonic Panda
11-20-2012, 08:25 PM
I think it was stated that it was designed so driving at 70 would be safe but it was planned the limit would be below thatSo if the speed limit is 70 that means people will driving 80, yes. ;)

SSEiYah
11-21-2012, 03:06 PM
went back today and saw it was 55mph, right near meridian on the eastbound lane, mounted to center divider.

okcfollower
11-26-2012, 07:57 PM
I think the 55mph sign you are seeing will be a temporary construction zone speed limit as the eastbound is already 60 mph through the new stretch. They are about to be doing some major work on the west end finishing it off fixing the temporary crossover and tying in the actual lanes. Looks like they might have to have the westbound down to 2 lanes to finish it off. and might be the same for east bound as they remove the temporary barriers...hence the lower speeds for a bit.

Thats just my prediction. I think its going to get nastier on that west end for a few months then be a breeze when its all finished finally in the coming months.

jn1780
11-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I think the 55mph sign you are seeing will be a temporary construction zone speed limit as the eastbound is already 60 mph through the new stretch. They are about to be doing some major work on the west end finishing it off fixing the temporary crossover and tying in the actual lanes. Looks like they might have to have the westbound down to 2 lanes to finish it off. and might be the same for east bound as they remove the temporary barriers...hence the lower speeds for a bit.

Thats just my prediction. I think its going to get nastier on that west end for a few months then be a breeze when its all finished finally in the coming months.

Its already 55 through there. I actually think it will be significantly better when westbound is moved over with only the inner lane closed off for construction of the barrier wall and inner lane which will only take about three weeks.

okcfollower
11-29-2012, 07:58 AM
They have three lanes of stripes painted on the new west end...wonder if they switch it coming this weekend so they can finish the inside sections of the new portion.

Bellaboo
11-29-2012, 08:30 AM
They have three lanes of stripes painted on the new west end...wonder if they switch it coming this weekend so they can finish the inside sections of the new portion.

Was wondering that myself. I noticed the lane painting truck last night and early this morning. It would be nice to redirect the traffic to the new westbound roadway even if it's just for 3 lanes.

okcfollower
11-29-2012, 09:13 AM
We currently only have 3 lanes thru that area so nothing will change besides the curve to the other side which slows everything down.. Once thy get the westbound on the westbound side it will not be long before its all finished

Bellaboo
11-29-2012, 12:00 PM
We currently only have 3 lanes thru that area so nothing will change besides the curve to the other side which slows everything down.. Once thy get the westbound on the westbound side it will not be long before its all finished

Hopefully if they re-route to the new roadway even if 3 lanes, they can also have at least one lane wide shoulder which the current route does not have for about a mile. I've seen cars that were simply stalled causing all kinds of havoc.

Maybe in a couple of weeks we'll see some positive results.

Buffalo Bill
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Hopefully if they re-route to the new roadway even if 3 lanes, they can also have at least one lane wide shoulder which the current route does not have for about a mile. I've seen cars that were simply stalled causing all kinds of havoc.

Maybe in a couple of weeks we'll see some positive results.

Looks to be much sooner than that, like maybe tomorrow:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/traffax/okc/major%20lane,ramp%20closures%20planned%20tonight;% 20brings%20changes%20for%20i40%20crosstown%20drive .pdf

jedicurt
11-29-2012, 03:52 PM
very nice... can't wait to drive tomorrow morning on my way to work

Bellaboo
11-29-2012, 04:27 PM
looks to be much sooner than that, like maybe tomorrow:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsmedia/traffax/okc/major%20lane,ramp%20closures%20planned%20tonight;% 20brings%20changes%20for%20i40%20crosstown%20drive .pdf

yes !

jedicurt
11-30-2012, 08:45 AM
drove it this morning. and what i can say is this. if you are going west-bound I-40 and need to go Westbound I-44... it's a sharp turn, so be paying attention. And the far Right lane is a turn only for I-44 Eastbound, but i didn't see any signs that say this until you get almost to the exit.

okcfollower
11-30-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm interested to see how or if this backs up back at 5pm... Everyone seems to always hug the right side of the road and if the right lane goes into the turn only lane people will stop up traffic tying to merge left...

Bellaboo
11-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm interested to see how or if this backs up back at 5pm... Everyone seems to always hug the right side of the road and if the right lane goes into the turn only lane people will stop up traffic tying to merge left...

The good thing here is that we now have an adequate shoulder on both sides of the 3 lanes, which was not there before. To pass straight through West bound on I-40, it's best to now hug the left or center lane.

okcfollower
11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
It wasnt too bad today...give it a week for people to realize they need to be in the left 2 lanes if they are proceeding straight on i40 and stay out of the far right if they arent

Bellaboo
12-10-2012, 10:34 AM
All lanes I-40 East bound from Western on is completely open. It really flows nice into the Dallas and northbound I-235 exits.

Plutonic Panda
12-10-2012, 10:40 AM
All lanes I-40 East bound from Western on is completely open. It really flows nice into the Dallas and northbound I-235 exits.I'll have to check it out later. :)

Bellaboo
01-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Looks as if they were pouring the last section of the dividing barrier wall on the west end connection with I-44. Maybe in about a week the west end will be completed.