View Full Version : Long lost water in OKC

khook
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Looking for locations around OKC that use to have some sort of water feature/fountain... such as the old local federal at robinson and 6th, the water dadelions that use to be outside the Myriad. and a course the fountain at Kerr-McGee.

trison
01-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Are you talking about water features that are now gone? If so, the Paseo Plunge use to be a huge indoor water slide in the heart of Paseo.

khook
01-19-2009, 08:42 PM
yes I am interested in finding the fountains or water areas that are now gone..... One recent one uncovered are the fountain pool areas in front of the oklahoma county office building at nw 2nd and hudson.

John
01-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Penn Square Mall center court

Chicken In The Rough
01-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Belle Isle Amusement Park, of course. Also, I think Wedgewood Amusement Park also had a number of water features. It was closed when I was pretty young. So, I may be remembering incorrectly.

My favorite was the fountain at Fidelity Plaza. I could sit and watch that for hours. I was sad when I heard it was removed. Are there any plans to replace it?

yukong
01-20-2009, 05:56 AM
The big First Christian Church of Oklahoma City at 36th and Walker used to have a large fountain out in front right by the intersection of 36th and Walker. As a kid, I always wanted to go play in it when we would drive by...but my folks would never stop. Now it is filled in with dirt and has been made a planter.

And don't forget all the small city parks that used to have wading pools. Swatek park at 30th between Penn and Villa. The park, can't recall the name, on Linwood. And there were several more. Back in the 60s those were great places to go and play because they had the large wading pools for kids. I spent many and hour at Swatek park in that pool. They are all filled in now. Sad.

CuatrodeMayo
01-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Penn Square Mall center court

Yea! What's up with that?

John
01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Yea! What's up with that?

They were supposed to replace it with a water powered jet fountain instead of the air jet fountain that was there and had problems (including the noise you heard), but next thing you know, planters and furniture showed up instead...

BB37
01-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Belle Isle Amusement Park, of course. Also, I think Wedgewood Amusement Park also had a number of water features. It was closed when I was pretty young. So, I may be remembering incorrectly.

My favorite was the fountain at Fidelity Plaza. I could sit and watch that for hours. I was sad when I heard it was removed. Are there any plans to replace it?

The Wedgewood swimming pool still exists; belongs to the apartment complex that was built on the grounds of the old amusement park. Of course, there was the old pool at Springlake. There was also a big pool on Shields (Elmwood Park, IIRC).

rondvu
01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Fountians were once at the old Liberty Bank drive in on Broadway and Dean A Mcgee (Now Chase). Fountians were at the old Fidelity drive in on 4th and Robinson (Now BOK). There were also fountians inside the Sheridan hotel near the center of the building. The old Penn Sq bank on the north side of the complex had fountians and some sort of stream. There is a complex on NW 63 between MacArthur and Rockwell called The Falls. There was some small spitters and fountians as Will Rogers Park that has been removed. The Large one in the rose garden still is working. Memorial Park Cemetary in Edmond ( Not the Memorial Park on 36th and Classen which also has a fountian) has a water feature. The old Carnagie library fountian on Dean A McGee was sent to Memorial Park Cemetary, but eventually disappeared. Don't forget all the fountians at the fairgrounds. The old flower and Garden building had a fountian that flowed from the roof in front of large windows. There are some pics in Ebay right now. I would download them, but am not that techancial. Hope this helps.

danielf1935
01-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Several OKC parks had small, shallow pools or wading pools (Smitty, Pilot, Youngs, Swatek, Reed, Tinsley, Geraldine), just to name a few. These pools were closed and/or removed because they no longer met State Health Department regulations and the cost to retrofit was too expensive.

Dave Cook
01-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Whatever became of the fountain full of pennies at Crossroads Mall?

oneforone
01-21-2009, 01:10 AM
It was taken out the same time the sidewalk ramp to the second floor was removed so that they could add the elevator and the carousel.